**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7213Likes

post #4531 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
Update on the A1.5 L&R and The A2.4 Center. I decided to turn off my PSA V1510 and run my front stage at full range.... HOLY **** the bass is crazy! I can only imagine how the towers sound! I currently have the port plugs in... ill remove them and run room correction again and just enjoy them at full range. I'm enjoying Netflix's "Dark" TV show...it has very good surround & LFE.
Call me nuts but I'm very curious how the A1.5s sound as L/R. Maybe I'll switch mine out one day.

If you've seen my review you know the towers are great...and there's an updated version (A5.5) releasing in the near future with improved midrange...
BufordTJustice likes this.

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Subs: Klipsch R-120SW and Kenwood SW-35HT (8"); HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra; VCE SP250-2P
And don't forget - JVC HR-S3900U Super VHS - the last working VCR in America??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Seriously?
Yeah just wanted to check it out. I'm very impressed with the sound.
post #4533 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
Call me nuts but I'm very curious how the A1.5s sound as L/R. Maybe I'll switch mine out one day.

If you've seen my review you know the towers are great...and there's an updated version (A5.5) releasing in the near future with improved midrange...
Yes very nice write up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4534 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I have A1.4's set up as temporary mains until the L series gets released. Maybe it depends on the type of music you listen to or what your bass preferences are, but for me there's a huge difference if I switch off my subs. Now the 5.4 with 3 bass drivers might be a very different story. The 1.5's are a little different from the 1.4's but I can't see being satisfied with a single 5.25" bass driver, split gap or not.
Jon Lane and BufordTJustice like this.
post #4535 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
I have A1.4's set up as temporary mains until the L series gets released. Maybe it depends on the type of music you listen to or what your bass preferences are, but for me there's a huge difference if I switch off my subs. Now the 5.4 with 3 bass drivers might be a very different story. The 1.5's are a little different from the 1.4's but I can't see being satisfied with a single 5.25" bass driver, split gap or not.
@BufordTJustice , when I mentioned how surprised I was at the bass response of the A5.4s relative to the small woofers, mentioned that the total surface area of the three woofers, coupled with XBL2 tech and cabinet size, can surpass much larger woofers.

Again, they only dig down to 47 Hz, but my sub craps out at 29 Hz, so the difference isn't huge on paper. And they fill a room with nice bass sound (and some chest punch), but they don't shake stuff. So I can definitely tell a difference...I'm just surprised at what the A5.4s alone can pull off.

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
post #4536 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 2484
Quote:
Yeah just wanted to check it out. I'm very impressed with the sound.
Oh no I wasn't doubting that. Just that the PSA 15 inch ported subs are no slouch and substituting basically a bookshelf speaker and MTM center to produce full range just kind of shocked me that there wasn't a bigger dropoff in bass. My A5 towers in a 1044 cubic foot sealed space running full range throw out some awesome bass with my dual Rythmik 12" subs out of the loop. Didn't think the books had that in them is all. Appreciate your take though.
Mactavish and BufordTJustice like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4537 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Oh no I wasn't doubting that. Just that the PSA 15 inch ported subs are no slouch and substituting basically a bookshelf speaker and MTM center to produce full range just kind of shocked me that there wasn't a bigger dropoff in bass. My A5 towers in a 1044 cubic foot sealed space running full range throw out some awesome bass with my dual Rythmik 12" subs out of the loop. Didn't think the books had that in them is all. Appreciate your take though.
All good. Yeah this PSA V1510 is a beast, I love it. I'm just surprised how much bass is coming out of these lil A1.5. only other bookshelf that came close was my B&W DM602 S3....those are huge tho.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #4538 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
The 5.25" SplitGap midwoofer is used across all three models and so they will share bass character. However, doubling and tripling the number of drivers adds available level. The A1.5 has nice fundamental bass but it's not aiming at either the A2.4 or A5.4 in terms of ceiling.
post #4539 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My experience is similar (click on the link for the Chane system in my signature for my full evaluation) with the A5.4s. A bass boost on my AVR (+3-8 dB, paired with parabolic EQ) gives a really nice, room-filling, clean bass response even in 2.0. As I stated in the review, it's not room-shaking bass like I get with my sub, and it isn't as deep as my sub (which only extends to 29 Hz at -3 dB), but it's pretty amazing to get it out of 3x 5.25" woofers!
Right, and I've got the A5 towers as well and they do everything you are describing running full range. I've never had a pair of books however replace the bass that a ported 15 inch PSA sub can produce.That sub can wreck foundations and drywall. Bookshelves not so much.Hoffman's Iron Law is a good read on what compromises need to be made when designing speakers for bass output.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4540 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
@BufordTJustice , when I mentioned how surprised I was at the bass response of the A5.4s relative to the small woofers, mentioned that the total surface area of the three woofers, coupled with XBL2 tech and cabinet size, can surpass much larger woofers.

Again, they only dig down to 47 Hz, but my sub craps out at 29 Hz, so the difference isn't huge on paper. And they fill a room with nice bass sound (and some chest punch), but they don't shake stuff. So I can definitely tell a difference...I'm just surprised at what the A5.4s alone can pull off.

You guys are discovering that this licensed XBL2 SplitGap technology is the real deal.

The enhanced driver excursion, power handling, and bass impact are the most immediately apparent qualities that stem from the unique geometry and the flattened BL curve.

But the SplitGap design and the copper in the motor also drives down inductance along with a broadband reduction in distortion components. This means that the benefits go all way way up into the mid-range (for two way models). It's really great stuff.

I've got a first gen driver laying around the house that I can snap a few images of. They are truly beefy and well made; progressive spider, double stack top plate, cast aluminum basket, vented pole piece, etc. Not that looks a great driver make, but no other drivers in these price classes look like this level of quality that I'm aware of. Somebody hit me via PM so I'll remember to snap some pics tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vergiliusm likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #4541 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All good. Yeah this PSA V1510 is a beast, I love it. I'm just surprised how much bass is coming out of these lil A1.5. only other bookshelf that came close was my B&W DM602 S3....those are huge tho.

Fair enough. Sounds like a need a pair of A1.5's.
BufordTJustice and rhelliott2 like this.

post #4542 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Sounds like a need a pair of A1.5's.
What are you currently using?

post #4543 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When I first got my A5's I ran them full range for almost a month. First time I played a bass heavy movie with them I just about fell out of my perch. They were boomin' in a good way.
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

post #4544 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are you currently using?

A5 towers with an A2.4 center. The towers are the last gen without the newer waveguide and crossover design. Dual Rythmik LV12R's located mid side wall in a small bedroom setup. I also run a second set of mains under my receivers front B amp assign setting. Currently they are Wharfedale 10.1 bookshelves but I only use them for certain types of music. They're a bit warmer than my Chane's. The Chanes handle almost every type of content flawlessly. There's just a few types of music genres that I like the Wharfedales sound for over the Chanes. I also swap out bookshelves models from time to time to try new speakers out. They all sit on top of the A5 towers on an angled foam speaker pad.
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

Last edited by Madmax67; 07-17-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #4545 of 4671 Old 07-17-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
A5 towers with an A2.4 center. The towers are the last gen without the newer waveguide and crossover design. Dual Rythmik LV12R's located mid side wall in a small bedroom setup. I also run a second set of mains under my receivers front B amp assign setting. Currently they are Wharfedale 10.1 bookshelves but I only use them for certain types of music. They're a bit warmer than my Chane's. The Chanes handle almost every type of content flawlessly. There's just a few types of music genres that I like the Wharfedales sound for over the Chanes. I also swap out bookshelves models from time to time to try new speakers out. They all sit on top of the A5 towers on an angled foam speaker pad.
Nice set up!

Yeah don't take my word for it... The A1.5 will not disappoint.

post #4546 of 4671 Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Update on a previous post where I mentioned interest in the A2.4 to replace my old, tiny “Mirage” center channel, but space was tight. Because of the fireplace in the middle of my living room taking up a little over 1/3rd the front wall, most of my system is in the right corner of the room. My 3 chair couch is only 8 feet from this wall so I didn’t want to mount the 55” Panasonic plasma over the mantle as I’d be looking too high UP.

So my Denon 3500 is up on a shelf over the HDTV (not pictured), the TV sits on the rolling Metro steel wire cart, with various BR decks on very bottom shelf, and the Rythmik F12G subwoofer on the Auralex floor pad to the left. The little center channel speaker was held by bungee cords inside the cart, right below the TV sitting directly above on the top shelf, the CC pointing at my main sitting couch position. No room above the TV. for a CC. So I wanted to basically use the same cart setup, with a new CC speaker. Closest in size to the last one is a DefTech PB2000c, and only a few others that were around 6” or less. But the many reviews were of bright tweeters or bright sounding, something I already had. Looking at the few choices I had considered by size first, I came to the conclusion, I wouldn’t be upgrading by much if at all. Read all I could about the Chane, and while most don’t have the same small space requirements I have to deal with, I wanted to make a substantial upgrade. The 7.1” height in the horizontal position of the A2.4, was revisited in looking at my tiny cart.

So, using the dimensions of the A2.4, I made a cardboard markup. Once I saw that it would fit in the 18”x24” cart, I went out today and bought a 3rd wire shelf to be a middle shelf, bungees would not work on this size speaker. That’s the hollow cardboard box you see in the photo, rotated slightly clockwise to point toward my main seat, and it looks like I’ll barely have enough room to wedge the front up 1.5-2”, pointing right at my ears. Again, I’m only sitting 8’ away, but since I recently had a hard time hearing clear movie dialogue, and have always hated the bright sound with 5.1/7.1 music, after living with that for way too long, I knew I had to finally fix the mistake I made when I was first learning, not listening to the advice of the importance of the CENTER channel. Well depending on how fast I get the delivery, that huge mistake will soon be rectified!

Placed my order today, on the Chane site, paid a little extra for the FedEx ground option, because waiting is always the hardest part. Well actually lifting the HDTV off the cart to rebuild build it, was the hardest, forgot I’ve gotten older....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2592402  

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #4547 of 4671 Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post
Again, I’m only sitting 8’ away, but since I recently had a hard time hearing clear movie dialogue, and have always hated the bright sound with 5.1/7.1 music, after living with that for way too long, I knew I had to finally fix the mistake I made when I was first learning, not listening to the advice of the importance of the CENTER channel. Well depending on how fast I get the delivery, that huge mistake will soon be rectified!

Placed my order today, on the Chane site, paid a little extra for the FedEx ground option, because waiting is always the hardest part. Well actually lifting the HDTV off the cart to rebuild build it, was the hardest, forgot I’ve gotten older....
I hope you're as happy with your upgrade as I am with mine. I had tried my budget Kenwood HTiB center for 18+ years, and the Pioneer SP-C22 budget replacement for a year or so, and always had trouble understanding dialogue. Always used CC/subtitles. With the A2.4, it's taking some time to get used to not needing words on the screen! I've had time to listen to content on everything from cable, ChromeCast, Blu-ray, CDs, mp3s, VHS, DVD, etc., and it's all crystal. I've had one or two single words or lines of dialogue that I didn't catch, over 100+ hours of listening, and that's only because the lines were mumbled/not delivered properly.

At this price point and size, I think the A2.4 is very difficult to beat (or so I've read). In order to get any further improvement, at substantially greater cost, you'd need to go monster-sized on your CC, like the upcoming A6.5 (with 6.5" woofers, height unknown as of now, AFAIK) or the PSA MTM210, with 10" woofers and 11" horizontal height! Plus, it's very costly.

Let us know your impressions - I can say dialogue straight out of the box was a big step forward for me.

post #4548 of 4671 Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I hope you're as happy with your upgrade as I am with mine. I had tried my budget Kenwood HTiB center for 18+ years, and the Pioneer SP-C22 budget replacement for a year or so, and always had trouble understanding dialogue. Always used CC/subtitles. With the A2.4, it's taking some time to get used to not needing words on the screen! I've had time to listen to content on everything from cable, ChromeCast, Blu-ray, CDs, mp3s, VHS, DVD, etc., and it's all crystal. I've had one or two single words or lines of dialogue that I didn't catch, over 100+ hours of listening, and that's only because the lines were mumbled/not delivered properly.

At this price point and size, I think the A2.4 is very difficult to beat (or so I've read). In order to get any further improvement, at substantially greater cost, you'd need to go monster-sized on your CC, like the upcoming A6.5 (with 6.5" woofers, height unknown as of now, AFAIK) or the PSA MTM210, with 10" woofers and 11" horizontal height! Plus, it's very costly.

Let us know your impressions - I can say dialogue straight out of the box was a big step forward for me.
One main reason I settled on the Chanes was the center channel. Enough people have praised the clarity of it that I felt comfortable making the switch. And sure enough, the more hours they break in, the more they're starting to open up.

They're clearer sounding than my Paradigm CC300 (which is a monster CC that really sounds pretty damn good). I wanted crisper dialogue, and mission accomplished. I don't notice it being harsh at all, just crystal clear.
Mactavish and BufordTJustice like this.
post #4549 of 4671 Old 07-19-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Feet View Post
One main reason I settled on the Chanes was the center channel. Enough people have praised the clarity of it that I felt comfortable making the switch. And sure enough, the more hours they break in, the more they're starting to open up.

They're clearer sounding than my Paradigm CC300 (which is a monster CC that really sounds pretty damn good). I wanted crisper dialogue, and mission accomplished. I don't notice it being harsh at all, just crystal clear.

Yeah Jon took great care in really tuning out any artificial bite during crossover design. Turn the detail knob up too far and cymbals start to rip your face off. Further still and consonants turn into your mortal enemy.

Oh, and many center channel tracks are mixed poorly. Everything from cadcaded compressors being used as a stack limiter instead of USING A REAL LIMITER, clipped peaks running through an effect or DSP chain, etc. All these can be less than obvious until final mastering. And, if the monitors used during mastering are already a little bright, the excess sibilance can actually be missed. Without saying names (cough GENELEC... at least certain models), this tolerance stack is relatively common.

Madmax67 likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #4550 of 4671 Old 07-21-2019, 09:07 PM

Can anyone recommend some isolation pads for a pair of A1.5 & A2.4 ( as center)

I found these

https://www.parts-express.com/talent...e-set--233-140

Or how about these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...isolation-pads

post #4551 of 4671 Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can anyone recommend some isolation pads for a pair of A1.5 & A2.4 ( as center)

I found these

https://www.parts-express.com/talent...e-set--233-140

Or how about these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...isolation-pads

The Auralex ones are a sturdier build quality but double the price. I'd go with the Parts Express ones unless you're wanting the more finished look of the Auralex's. I use Auralex's isolation pads for subwoofers and my mains. Nothing bad to say about them other than the price but they'll last me a lifetime. They're that well built.
BufordTJustice and rhelliott2 like this.

post #4552 of 4671 Old 07-21-2019, 09:36 PM

Thanks!

post #4553 of 4671 Old 07-22-2019, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

I agree with Max. I have a LOT of Auralex (work lab) and there isn't a ton of difference between them and the PE stuff.

Im a big fan of the zest grater geometry in the center of the image.

post #4554 of 4671 Old 07-22-2019, 10:43 AM

WOW! once i get a dedicated room, ill get some for sure. Are those bass traps in the corner?
post #4555 of 4671 Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
WOW! once i get a dedicated room, ill get some for sure. Are those bass traps in the corner?

That's in my Forensic Lab.

Yes, those are Auralex bass traps. But you could do just as well by filling cavities with fiberglass batt. Lots of creative implementations here on AVS.

post #4556 of 4671 Old 07-22-2019, 03:32 PM

thanks!
post #4557 of 4671 Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
I dug out my old Velodyne DEQ-8R and hooked it up to the stereo last night and was pleasantly surprised at how things sounded. I have the low pass filter set around 70Hz to blend in with the A1.4s, and it does a good job rounding out the low end.

I need to get a couple longer interconnects, but I’m going to see how I like this for the next couple weeks. Gives a nice weight to the music, but doesn’t take away from the Chanes.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #4558 of 4671 Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't think I've seen Jon mention an A5.5. Is that in the works too?
post #4559 of 4671 Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Ordered my Chane A2.4 on Friday, received it today, Tuesday morning...... what took so long ....

Great turnaround time! Sounds great out of box, break in begins. Totally trashes my little ole Mirage CC, then again this is a REAL speaker. Glad I didn’t chase after small size CC’s, and made room for this to fit (earlier post above w/ picture).

It even makes the Denon faux surround presets sound good. Have to pop in the 5.1 disks, then some movies. Won’t bother running Audyssey until there are some hours on it, but already I had to decrease the gain by -8 on the center channel, much more efficient then the tiny tube style Mirage. Unfortunately, due to my room setup, the A2.4 sits right next to the subwoofer, so for now it’s on a 100kHz crossover, blending ok so far, lots of fresh listening ahead.

Thanks JON & team!

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #4560 of 4671 Old 07-23-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty123 View Post
I don't think I've seen Jon mention an A5.5. Is that in the works too?

Yes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page