**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7213Likes

post #4591 of 4671 Old 08-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 476
I haven't heard the Q300s, but I had Q100s for fronts until I replaced them with A1.4s. I love the Uni-Q drivers especially for simple, acoustic performances. They do many things right, but the Chanes are more neutral and forgiving of poor recordings. They can also be pushed harder.

The Qs are now admirably performing atmos duties.
BufordTJustice and Bigbirney like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4671 Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
Yes, I just got an offer I could not refuse to sell them, and I figured it would give me an opportunity to try something else. I am fond of the Martin Logan LX16, and I heard these were pretty similar sounding.
Well the Q300 have a first order crossover and have a extremely flat frequency response. If you like that type of sound or if your ears are used to that type of sound than the A1.5 are completely different. The A1.5 have a very soft and warm detailed higher frequencies and the lows are just amazing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Bigbirney likes this.
post #4593 of 4671 Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
Well the Q300 have a first order crossover and have a extremely flat frequency response. If you like that type of sound or if your ears are used to that type of sound than the A1.5 are completely different. The A1.5 have a very soft and warm detailed higher frequencies and the lows are just amazing.

That helps. The KEF's weren't very forgiving to some degree with Bluetooth and poor material, that's for sure. I replaced them with a set of ELAC B5's that I had in a closet and they aren't near as bright as the KEF's. They sound good, but it seems like something is missing. I wish I could hear a set of Chanes. They probably don't have a return policy?

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves as surrounds - Monolith 15(RETURNED) - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 3.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of KEF Q300's, Single Q100 - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 4671 Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
That helps. The KEF's weren't very forgiving to some degree with Bluetooth and poor material, that's for sure. I replaced them with a set of ELAC B5's that I had in a closet and they aren't near as bright as the KEF's. They sound good, but it seems like something is missing. I wish I could hear a set of Chanes. They probably don't have a return policy?
You can return them, but you do pay for shipping both ways. If I were you, I'd go on the chane forums and ask if anyone is in your area willing to demo.

Bigbirney likes this.
post #4595 of 4671 Old 08-07-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
They probably don't have a return policy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
You can return them, but you do pay for shipping both ways.
The return policy is 30 days with extensions on request. If a customer is forthcoming we'll work with them.

Outbound shipping tends to be capped at a small fraction of actual cost. Return shipping is on the buyer, however we can supply labels at our rate, which is far less than retail.

There's absolutely no such thing as free shipping, although un-itemized shipping - called free - is common. It's plowed into costs and costs are reflected in the original product price.

Margins don't begin to allow us to offer casual trials at our cost. It's expensive to equip a product with as much as twice the weight and clean output, and it's not cheap to move them around the country...
post #4596 of 4671 Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
The return policy is 30 days with extensions on request. If a customer is forthcoming we'll work with them.

Outbound shipping tends to be capped at a small fraction of actual cost. Return shipping is on the buyer, however we can supply labels at our rate, which is far less than retail.

There's absolutely no such thing as free shipping, although un-itemized shipping - called free - is common. It's plowed into costs and costs are reflected in the original product price.

Margins don't begin to allow us to offer casual trials at our cost. It's expensive to equip a product with as much as twice the weight and clean output, and it's not cheap to move them around the country...
Jon,
I understand completely. As a finance guy I understand margins and shipping costs have gone up exponentially. The fact that you took the time to respond speaks volumes for you and the company. It's the same reason I am buying a PSA sub for my basement. You guys have some beautiful stuff. If I like the a1.5 I would consider buying 3 A2.4's to replace my ELAC Debut setup in the basement.

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves as surrounds - Monolith 15(RETURNED) - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 3.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of KEF Q300's, Single Q100 - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
post #4597 of 4671 Old 08-08-2019, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Jon,
I understand completely. As a finance guy I understand margins and shipping costs have gone up exponentially. The fact that you took the time to respond speaks volumes for you and the company. It's the same reason I am buying a PSA sub for my basement. You guys have some beautiful stuff. If I like the a1.5 I would consider buying 3 A2.4's to replace my ELAC Debut setup in the basement.

Without getting ahead of my skis, it's going to be an easily noticeable improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbirney likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #4598 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 AM

Well after spending 2 days reading this thread and talking to Jon, I am ordering the A1.5's today. My question is for those of you that run the A2.4's vertical as LCR, what is approximate stand height to get the tweeters ear level? I am toying with replacing my basement ELAC setup, but I am worried that they might be too tall for my setup with my Projector screen.

Thanks!

post #4599 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Well after spending 2 days reading this thread and talking to Jon, I am ordering the A1.5's today. My question is for those of you that run the A2.4's vertical as LCR, what is approximate stand height to get the tweeters ear level? I am toying with replacing my basement ELAC setup, but I am worried that they might be too tall for my setup with my Projector screen.

Thanks!
My stands are 20" which puts the tweeters at ear height when fully reclined for movies.
BufordTJustice and Bigbirney like this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
post #4600 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
My stands are 20" which puts the tweeters at ear height when fully reclined for movies.
Thanks! That is going to be close. My Towers are 38 inches tall. How do you like them in the LCR setup?

post #4601 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Thanks! That is going to be close. My Towers are 38 inches tall. How do you like them in the LCR setup?
I've had them for about a year and am still amazed with the sound quality, especially at this price point. While I do plan to upgrade to a larger class of speaker in our theater setup, the A2.4s will just get moved to the living room to replace the sad sound bar that is there now.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
post #4602 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
Quote:

As Jon points out...Free return shipping is a gimmick used by some to give the appearance of "no risk"...but either way, you are paying for the possibility of return shipping if a company offers free return shipping. In fact, you might be paying a built in cost for SOMEONE else to return their speakers for a company that offers free return. Look for companies with good/fair return policy... and Chane has a very good/fair return policy.
chucks0, BufordTJustice and yanks1 like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #4603 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
As Jon points out...Free return shipping is a gimmick used by some to give the appearance of "no risk"...but either way, you are paying for the possibility of return shipping if a company offers free return shipping. In fact, you might be paying a built in cost for SOMEONE else to return their speakers for a company that offers free return. Look for companies with good/fair return policy... and Chane has a very good/fair return policy.
I agree totally. I used to sell aftermarket car parts on the side, and shipping costs have skyrocketed along with Paypal and EBAY fees, so it became fruitless. I am confident that I am going to love these A1.5's and I can't wait until they get delivered. Nice to see a fellow Hawkeye on here. I love Iowa City, especially in the fall.
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #4604 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
I've had them for about a year and am still amazed with the sound quality, especially at this price point. While I do plan to upgrade to a larger class of speaker in our theater setup, the A2.4s will just get moved to the living room to replace the sad sound bar that is there now.
My theater area is pretty small. With My ELAC Towers and Center, the front wall is pretty crowded, but this house is just short term. I will start out with them upstairs which is 50/50 movies and music.

post #4605 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

That's an excellent way to say it, Elihawk.

I've often worked backward with the example l: "Do you honestly think that FedEx/UPS/DHL/USPS are trucking/flying heavy and bulky things all over the world and not charging for it?"

No shipping company works for free. Ever.

The shipping rates for weight and size are fairly poorly kept secrets that can be revealed by cursory searches on Google or DDG.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #4606 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
My theater area is pretty small. With My ELAC Towers and Center, the front wall is pretty crowded, but this house is just short term. I will start out with them upstairs which is 50/50 movies and music.
I never had the opportunity to hear the ELACs in person (for many months I was particularly interested in the UniFi series, but none of my nearby Best Buy stores had them available for auditioning), but if the Crutchfield SpeakerCompare feature is anything to go by, the Chanes offer an altogether otherworldly level of clarity.

Sometime soon, I'll swap out my A5.4s and substitute the A1.5s as L/R and do some music listening so that I can better guide potential customers like yourself. But @rhelliott2 has already compared the A1.5s to several other makes/models and is adamant that the A1.5s are top notch. I hope you enjoy yours...

I will say that out of the box, brand new, the Chanes sounded far superior to my HTiB (Kenwood) speakers. But it wasn't until I ran AccuEQ and set up some EQ presets that they exploded with sound. More recently, I was listening to the A5.4s in 2.0 and tried the "Music Optimizer" setting on my Onkyo, and I got another huge boost in musicality! If I apply a bit of bass boost, they begin to fool me into believing my subwoofer is running - I've had to get up and verify it was off many, many times.

If the A1.5s as mains deliver even a fraction of what the A5.4s do, you're in great shape.

I'll post my A1.5 vs A5.4 comparisons when I get around to trying it.
BufordTJustice and rhelliott2 like this.

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Subs: Klipsch R-120SW and Kenwood SW-35HT (8"); HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra; VCE SP250-2P
And don't forget - JVC HR-S3900U Super VHS - the last working VCR in America??
post #4607 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
I never had the opportunity to hear the ELACs in person (for many months I was particularly interested in the UniFi series, but none of my nearby Best Buy stores had them available for auditioning), but if the Crutchfield SpeakerCompare feature is anything to go by, the Chanes offer an altogether otherworldly level of clarity.

Sometime soon, I'll swap out my A5.4s and substitute the A1.5s as L/R and do some music listening so that I can better guide potential customers like yourself. But @rhelliott2 has already compared the A1.5s to several other makes/models and is adamant that the A1.5s are top notch. I hope you enjoy yours...

I will say that out of the box, brand new, the Chanes sounded far superior to my HTiB (Kenwood) speakers. But it wasn't until I ran AccuEQ and set up some EQ presets that they exploded with sound. More recently, I was listening to the A5.4s in 2.0 and tried the "Music Optimizer" setting on my Onkyo, and I got another huge boost in musicality! If I apply a bit of bass boost, they begin to fool me into believing my subwoofer is running - I've had to get up and verify it was off many, many times.

If the A1.5s as mains deliver even a fraction of what the A5.4s do, you're in great shape.

I'll post my A1.5 vs A5.4 comparisons when I get around to trying it.
Thank You! I am spoiled enough to live in a city that has 2 stereo shops that carry a bunch of top names. I originally wanted the Uni FI, but budget at the time did not dictate a 5.0 setup of them, so I listened to the Debuts. I liked them better than The Monitor Bronze that was also in my price range, so I bought the towers locally. The shop also carries Focal, Wilson, Sonus Faber, Rockport, Totem and a few other brands not in my price range. The ELACS sounded better than a few at twice the price. They are power hungry and have really opened up since i added the Outlaw amp.

The Chanes are replacing a set of KEF Q300's. While I know it will be a different sound, my musical tastes have changed a bit and the KEF's weren't as forgiving when i was playing a bad recording through Bluetooth and spotify. I listened to the Martin Logan LX16 last weekend and was impressed, although the tweeter was a bit bright at times. I had heard the Chanes were a little warmer, so here we are. I love supporting smaller companies where it is all about the music. That's what drew me to Andrew Jones in the first place. I owned his Pioneer set before the ELAC's. It is possible to build a great sounding speaker that doesn't cost $1500 a pair. I just got an email that they are being shipped today. i can't wait.

post #4608 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
Quote:
I agree totally. I used to sell aftermarket car parts on the side, and shipping costs have skyrocketed along with Paypal and EBAY fees, so it became fruitless. I am confident that I am going to love these A1.5's and I can't wait until they get delivered. Nice to see a fellow Hawkeye on here. I love Iowa City, especially in the fall.
Go Hawks...and sorry to derail the Chane speaker thread!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #4609 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
With the A1.5 our aim was to optimize the single-5.25" monitor a little more for main speaker use. It's a competent stand speaker and has what I think is the most big-scale perspective we've put into the smallest platform. Call it our modern treatment of a classic reference monitor, affordably done. We expect a smaller model A4.5 5.25" model late this year as the dedicated onwall, surround, effects, and even desktop model, which opens up the fifth A1 for larger sound.

PS: While shipping always has a cost, there's certainly nothing wrong with reducing its customer selling price to zero. We've considered it, but we feel that in our case tight margins prohibit raising prices 15% or 20% to experiment...
post #4610 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
With the A1.5 our aim was to optimize the single-5.25" monitor a little more for main speaker use. It's a competent stand speaker and has what I think is the most big-scale perspective we've put into the smallest platform. Call it our modern treatment of a classic reference monitor, affordably done. We expect a smaller model A4.5 5.25" model late this year as the dedicated onwall, surround, effects, and even desktop model, which opens up the fifth A1 for larger sound.

PS: While shipping always has a cost, there's certainly nothing wrong with reducing its customer selling price to zero. We've considered it, but we feel that in our case tight margins prohibit raising prices 15% or 20% to experiment...

Not all shipping is the same, either. Compare how much a pair of A1.X speakers weigh to.... well.... any other sub $500/pair bookshelf with the same dimensions. The Chanes will be heavier almost every time.

This matters because shipping is based on size AND weight.

post #4611 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The Chanes are replacing a set of KEF Q300's. ... I just got an email that they are being shipped today. i can't wait.
OK, so curiosity got the better of me and I just spent about an hour with my A1.5s as L/Rs and listened to a lot of music in 2.0.

First of all, let me tell you, @rhelliott2 is not exaggerating. The bass from these little bookshelves, with their 5.25" midwoofer, is impressive. As Darth Vader might say, "Most impressive." XBL2 is no joke. The excursion I witnessed on the midwoofers was huge relative to their small size - I can't say I've ever seen anything like it (other than my A5.4s ).

Looking at the specs first, I see my A5.4s are more sensitive (90 db with an F3 of 47 Hz) than my A1.5s (84.5 db with an F3 of 50 Hz), so I had to do some volume leveling to compare the two. Once that was done, I listened to the A1.5s in 2.0 with a 5-8 dB bass boost on my Onkyo (the same setting I use for 2.0 listening with the A5.4s). I listened to the Titan A.E. soundtrack (it features a broad variety of music, from Lit to Powerman 5000 to Jamiroquai to Electrasy), and the same clarity and sound stage I get from my A5.4s was present, albeit a hint more subdued (?is that the right word?) relative to the A5.4s due to the size difference. Bass was sharp and deep and it all sounded very, very good. This was enough to convince me: if you are limited to the A1.5s as L/R and haven't experienced the A5.4s, you are in a very good place! If memory serves, somewhere in this thread @Jon Lane talked about the design principles behind the A5.x, and it was simply to "amp up" the A1.x and A2.x models, to provide a bit more boost to fill large spaces.

And therein lies a detail I neglected to mention. My MLP is about 15 feet from the L/Rs, in a 2300 cubic foot family room which opens up to ~2600 more cubic feet in the kitchen and doors/hallways. It takes quite a bit of volume to fill this space, which is why I chose the A5.4s. If you have a more modest space to fill, I could argue the A1.5s (or A2.4s) more than fit the bill, and you'll save a pretty penny in the process!

But I wasn't through yet. I turned to my bass challenge: Kid Sensation's Rollin' with Number One, the same album I use to audition the few speakers I've had the opportunity to listen to in person. With the same 5-8 dB bass boost I use with the A5.4s, the A1.5s, on the track "Back to Boom," filled the room with bass, enough so that I was feeling TR (tactile response) through my recliner and directly in my chest. At 15.5 feet away...perhaps my audio naivete will shine through with this statement, but I don't think that's normal for a 5.25" woofer. I think that's exceptional. I've certainly never heard/experienced anything like it with other similarly-sized woofers. Heck, my Kenwood HTiB speakers couldn't amass that much bass at 6 times the volume and bass boost.

Lest I neglect to mention the top end, let me just say that the mids and highs from the A1.5s are beautifully synced/timbre matched with the A5.4s. So everything sounded great - what sounds great on the A5.x will sound great on the A2.x and A1.x - Jon seems to make this a primary goal in design). I think you'll be happy with your purchase - just give yourself some time to break them in (XBL2 tech seems to require about 20 hours to loosen up) and use your AVR's capabilities (especially EQ) to maximize performance. Once you're all dialed in, let us know your impressions. I still come home every day and smile when I see my Chanes, and all I want to do is sit and listen to music, which I rarely did before!

Edit: one last thing - as I state in my review (JS) on the Chane site, I am not taking advantage of the A1.5s by using them for surrounds. They sound too good to be relegated to surround duty! But somebody has to sit on the flanks, poor guys.

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones

Last edited by jwskud; 08-09-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #4612 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Forgot to mention - I can't make the same comparison of the A5.4s with the A2.4s, since I only have one A2.4. Maybe @Jon Lane will send me a free A2.4 some day... Regardless, the A2.4s are more sensitive than the A1.5s (90 db with an F3 of 48 Hz), so I imagine they lie right between the A1.5s and A5.4s (which, as mentioned above, is not a super-broad window!).

Luckily, those interested in the A2.4 have the benefit of lots of feedback on this forum, especially from @BufordTJustice . If I ever get to build out a second system I'll have a hard time deciding if I want to go A2.4 or A1.5...

post #4613 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 PM

and one more thing! Now that the A5.4s are hooked back up, I'm sitting and listening to the Xfinity "Smooth Jazz" Music Choice channel in 2.1, and it is simply stellar. No brightness, no muddiness, just clean, clear SQ that fills the room. These speakers have caused me to broaden my musical taste considerably. I never would've listened to "Smooth Jazz" or "Sound and Stage" or several other channels if not for these Chanes...

post #4614 of 4671 Old 08-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Not all shipping is the same, either. Compare how much a pair of A1.X speakers weigh to.... well.... any other sub $500/pair bookshelf with the same dimensions. The Chanes will be heavier almost every time.

This matters because shipping is based on size AND weight.
I was shocked when I placed my orders with Chane - only $17 per box for shipping! That's pretty darn good!

post #4615 of 4671 Old 08-10-2019, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I was shocked when I placed my orders with Chane - only $17 per box for shipping! That's pretty darn good!
I've done a very similar progression to yours, and concur with everything you've posted in your comprehensive reviews with the Chanes. I can't recall - have you ever done a side-by-side of your A5.4s as a 2.0 and a 2.2 system? I'm wondering if dropping your default bass boost and throwing in your subs changes your overall sound experience with the 2 channel system. I spent a long time in 2.0, and have gone 7.2 with Neural:X just for fun, and sometimes I can convince myself that there's a bit more space to the sound. BUT my ears ain't what they used to be...

Chane A5.4 LR, Chane A2.4 center, Polk RC85i in-wall side-surround, NHT Super One rear surround, SVS PB-12 NSD, HSU-VFT-1, LG OLED 55B6A
post #4616 of 4671 Old 08-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
I've done a very similar progression to yours, and concur with everything you've posted in your comprehensive reviews with the Chanes. I can't recall - have you ever done a side-by-side of your A5.4s as a 2.0 and a 2.2 system? I'm wondering if dropping your default bass boost and throwing in your subs changes your overall sound experience with the 2 channel system. I spent a long time in 2.0, and have gone 7.2 with Neural:X just for fun, and sometimes I can convince myself that there's a bit more space to the sound. BUT my ears ain't what they used to be...
Hi, I'm very glad to hear your experience matches my own. I always wonder if people look at my reviews here on AVS and say to themselves, "Well, what does this fool know? He's only ever known a Kenwood HTiB system and the Chanes? He has neither a discerning ear nor experience." And while there's some definite truth to that (I've not auditioned many speakers in person, after all), I also know my favorite content very, very well, and I can say unequivocally that these Chane speakers are excellent and wonderful and I doubt one can do better dollar-for-dollar. Besides, there are plenty of folks who have A/B'd the Chanes vs. many, many other speakers and the Chanes are winners, as shown in the links in my review.

I've definitely run my system in 2.1 and 2.2 for comparison to 2.0. I alternate, based on content, mostly between 2.0 and 2.1. In 2.1, no bass boost is required, as my sub is fully capable of filling my room. But it's also a "one-note" sub, a bit slow and lazy, and as a result, the bass is cleaner and tighter in 2.0 with a bass boost on the A5.4s. Granted, I don't get the tactile response I get with my sub, but that's ok. Coincidentally, when I run 2.1, my sub is dialed in at -8 dB for best results, and the gain knob is set for about 10 o'clock, so I've had to suppress it quite a bit.

All this is why the most difficult part of dialing in my current system (all by ear and tweaking, as I'm not currently using REW) has been integrating the sub. And that's why I dream of some day owning a high-end Rythmik sub (I'm targeting the FV18 Rev2 paper cone for the best TR and mix of extension and SQ, although the F18 is also tempting).

I should also add that I do spend some time listening to music in "all channel" 5.1 and 7.1 and even 7.2. But extending to 7.1 incorporates two of my old Kenwood speakers, and .2 incorporates the old Kenwood sub, so I don't think I'm doing myself any favors there.

In closing, as I sit here listening in 2.1 to the "Stage and Screen" Music Choice Xfinity channel, and the prologue/"Tradition" to Fiddler on the Roof, I am in audio bliss. I wish I could widen my L/R fronts, which would give me even better sound, but it's not currently possible.
BufordTJustice and Madmax67 like this.

post #4617 of 4671 Old 08-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Hi, I'm very glad to hear your experience matches my own. I always wonder if people look at my reviews here on AVS and say to themselves, "Well, what does this fool know? He's only ever known a Kenwood HTiB system and the Chanes? He has neither a discerning ear nor experience." And while there's some definite truth to that (I've not auditioned many speakers in person, after all), I also know my favorite content very, very well, and I can say unequivocally that these Chane speakers are excellent and wonderful and I doubt one can do better dollar-for-dollar. Besides, there are plenty of folks who have A/B'd the Chanes vs. many, many other speakers and the Chanes are winners, as shown in the links in my review.

I've definitely run my system in 2.1 and 2.2 for comparison to 2.0. I alternate, based on content, mostly between 2.0 and 2.1. In 2.1, no bass boost is required, as my sub is fully capable of filling my room. But it's also a "one-note" sub, a bit slow and lazy, and as a result, the bass is cleaner and tighter in 2.0 with a bass boost on the A5.4s. Granted, I don't get the tactile response I get with my sub, but that's ok. Coincidentally, when I run 2.1, my sub is dialed in at -8 dB for best results, and the gain knob is set for about 10 o'clock, so I've had to suppress it quite a bit.

All this is why the most difficult part of dialing in my current system (all by ear and tweaking, as I'm not currently using REW) has been integrating the sub. And that's why I dream of some day owning a high-end Rythmik sub (I'm targeting the FV18 Rev2 paper cone for the best TR and mix of extension and SQ, although the F18 is also tempting).

I should also add that I do spend some time listening to music in "all channel" 5.1 and 7.1 and even 7.2. But extending to 7.1 incorporates two of my old Kenwood speakers, and .2 incorporates the old Kenwood sub, so I don't think I'm doing myself any favors there.

In closing, as I sit here listening in 2.1 to the "Stage and Screen" Music Choice Xfinity channel, and the prologue/"Tradition" to Fiddler on the Roof, I am in audio bliss. I wish I could widen my L/R fronts, which would give me even better sound, but it's not currently possible.
Interesting - I have the same spacing issue. My room is a '90s "great room" with 13' cathedral ceilings. It doubles as my music listening room and our TV/home theater. I can't get enough space between the L/R to make the perfect equilateral triangle, but it still sounds great. Physics suggests my soundstage will be limited, but I'm happy with what I get. My musical tastes run to Classical and "ol' fart's tunes". If you delve into Classical, I stream Venice Classic Radio (no commercials!!!) through my Denon. Admittedly not high res, but everything sounds spectacular with my A5.4s and A2.4 center, both as 7.2 and straight 2.0.

A couple of days ago I downloaded REW and ASIO4ALL. Audyssey can correct my room, but I'd really like to see what the implementation really looks like. I spent a frustrating two hours with REW before I finally convinced myself that I can get real data to look at, so I'll spring for a real USB mic (I used the mic on my laptop for training purposes) to get a better feel about what's really happening in my awkward room. There is a caution at the beginning of the REW forum to carefully go through the well written tutorial - highly recommend, but even so prepared for some initial frustration. Somehow, I feel you'll be playing the same game in the near future.

I'll make a general "review" type of statement... For decades I basically could not listen to ANY solo/predominantly violin music. I felt like like cats were screeching in my brain, so I avoided violin as much as possible. With my switch first to the A1.4s with the 2.4 center, and now the 5.4s in the front, I find that the treble is handled to perfection. I can hear the entire range of the strings themselves, but I also can hear the different resonances from the body of the instrument. I can put on VCM and listen for hours and actually look forward occasional Pagannini.

...FWIW...

Thanks for your personal, comprehensive feedback on your Chane evolution. Been there, done that, and agree with your evaluation. Thanks for taking the time to post!
BufordTJustice and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by ellisda1; 08-10-2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Add REW
post #4618 of 4671 Old 08-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your personal, comprehensive feedback on your Chane evolution. Been there, done that, and agree with your evaluation. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Thanks for the kind words!

I will definitely go into REW with eyes wide open, and do a lot of reading beforehand (much like I did before investing in Chanes, i.e. reading through an entire thread with thousands of posts!). So many people have experienced issues getting into REW, even with the tutorial...being a study/learn/master/convey type of guy (I constantly write user-friendly tutorials at work for very technical subjects), I could see myself in a few years editing/authoring an "Idiot's Guide to REW" or something like that, if one doesn't already exist. I've never looked at what's out there now, but I see enough people on the Rythmik owners thread struggling with it that I figure it should have discreet sections describing how to achieve desired measurements for very specific applications. If I ever get a sub upgrade and REW, that will become a new major hobby, I'm sure.

As for spacing, I'm with you. I am nowhere near the equilateral triangle with the slight toe-in I'd love to have...but it still sounds great, so who cares? Besides, with L-shaped seating around the room, I wonder if exploiting these techniques to maximize returns at the MLP would be detrimental to other seating positions...

post #4619 of 4671 Old 08-10-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
My musical tastes run to Classical and "ol' fart's tunes". If you delve into Classical, I stream Venice Classic Radio (no commercials!!!) through my Denon. Admittedly not high res, but everything sounds spectacular with my A5.4s and A2.4 center, both as 7.2 and straight 2.0.

I'll make a general "review" type of statement... For decades I basically could not listen to ANY solo/predominantly violin music. I felt like like cats were screeching in my brain, so I avoided violin as much as possible. With my switch first to the A1.4s with the 2.4 center, and now the 5.4s in the front, I find that the treble is handled to perfection. I can hear the entire range of the strings themselves, but I also can hear the different resonances from the body of the instrument. I can put on VCM and listen for hours and actually look forward occasional Pagannini.
Nice recommendation on Venice Classic Radio - I'm streaming it now via ChromeCast, which I use a ton. Sounds just as good as the Xfinity Classical Music Choice channel. I do wonder what I'm missing with ChromeCast relative to something like Tidal, or even Spotify, but I'm satisfied for now, and I love streaming music from Youtube.

I get what you're saying about violin. My son and daughter both play, and at times the sound is harsh (especially when they were first learning to play!). Playing professional-quality violin music through my old system wasn't too bad (the Kenwoods were quite neutral), but it wasn't good, either, and everything sounds loads better now. And no harshness. Ever. Hours and hours of listening put no strain on my ears. That's exactly what @Jon Lane and @BufordTJustice design towards, and they succeeded marvelously.

post #4620 of 4671 Old 08-10-2019, 08:09 PM

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I have what the wife calls a stereo problem, but she loves it too. I even run a 2.1 in the bedroom. The Chanes will start out upstairs replacing the KEF's Q 300, its 50/50 movies and music and that is where my turntable is. The Chanes seem to be a little more power hungry like my ELAC's, so I will probably run them off of my Yamaha Aventage 1070. If I like them a lot i will probably buy three A2.4s for the basement LCR which is only 1600 cubic feet and has a Marantz 6012 and an Outlaw 5000. Maybe move my ELAC towers upstairs. Either way they will be here Tuesday and I can't wait to unbox them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page