**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7213Likes

post #4621 of 4671 Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Well, I decided to work from home today because these were being delivered. I hooked them up and let them play for a few hours in the background while I worked. I did not run YPAO, I just used the settings from the KEF's. Set to small, crossed over at 80hz, Tonight I put them through some paces. Dire Straits Sultans of Swing, Some Bob Marley, Vivaldi and some Tool. These speakers are amazing, my wife was grinning ear to ear. I have owned many speakers in the last 20 years. most recently:
KEF Q 300
KEF Q100
ELAC B6
ELAC B5
Pioneer 22
Paradigm Atom
Monitor Bronze 5
Paradigm mini monitor

Various Klipsch

The Chanes are amazing. Wide soundstage and crystal clear highs without any fatigue. The low end is like nothing I have heard from a small bookshelf. Mine are paired with SVS PB 1000. I can't wait until they break in and I get to spend more time with these bad boys. I appreciate the help on here,

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves as surrounds - Monolith 15(RETURNED) - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 3.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of KEF Q300's, Single Q100 - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4671 Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons of the Chane A2.4 vs Ascend Acoustic Sierra
post #4623 of 4671 Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
Well, I decided to work from home today because these were being delivered. I hooked them up and let them play for a few hours in the background while I worked. I did not run YPAO, I just used the settings from the KEF's. Set to small, crossed over at 80hz, Tonight I put them through some paces. Dire Straits Sultans of Swing, Some Bob Marley, Vivaldi and some Tool. These speakers are amazing, my wife was grinning ear to ear. I have owned many speakers in the last 20 years. most recently:
KEF Q 300
KEF Q100
ELAC B6
ELAC B5
Pioneer 22
Paradigm Atom
Monitor Bronze 5
Paradigm mini monitor

Various Klipsch

The Chanes are amazing. Wide soundstage and crystal clear highs without any fatigue. The low end is like nothing I have heard from a small bookshelf. Mine are paired with SVS PB 1000. I can't wait until they break in and I get to spend more time with these bad boys. I appreciate the help on here,

Between us girls, they'll run with the LS 50 in a general sense. They put a good amount less treble energy into the room than the KEFs, which can be slightly aggressive in this regard, but the imaging is really superb on the A1.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbirney likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4624 of 4671 Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mong00se View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons of the Chane A2.4 vs Ascend Acoustic Sierra
Check this thread - a head-to-head comparison. The considerably more affordable Chane A2.4s fared quite well.

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Subs: Klipsch R-120SW and Kenwood SW-35HT (8"); HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra; VCE SP250-2P
And don't forget - JVC HR-S3900U Super VHS - the last working VCR in America??
post #4625 of 4671 Old 08-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Question for @Jon Lane

I may be getting larger subwoofers and might need to use them as speaker stands. Can I place my A5.4 left/right mains upside down? This would put the tweeters at seated listener height on the subs. If this is a bad idea sonically then I may need to downsize the mains to a bookshelf model.

Thanks,
Ross
BufordTJustice likes this.

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
post #4626 of 4671 Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2809 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Question for @Jon Lane

I may be getting larger subwoofers and might need to use them as speaker stands. Can I place my A5.4 left/right mains upside down? This would put the tweeters at seated listener height on the subs. If this is a bad idea sonically then I may need to downsize the mains to a bookshelf model.

Thanks,
Ross
Predefining where your subs are going to go in the room is almost always a mistake. You need to have some flexibility in placement to get the best from them. There is no reason that the mains need to be compromised in order to include subs. See this for lots of good sub placement options:

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/a...-for-your-home

Why compromise both your subs and your mains with this scheme?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-15-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #4627 of 4671 Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Quote:
Question for @Jon Lane

Thanks,
Ross
Absolutely do not try this. Good luck on sub placement hunting

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #4628 of 4671 Old 08-15-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
I may be getting larger subwoofers and might need to use them as speaker stands. Can I place my A5.4 left/right mains upside down? This would put the tweeters at seated listener height on the subs.
It's been done before and it's said to be an acceptable option. Conventional wisdom says that since a vertical driver stack has good horizontal uniformity, it will have little relevance vertically, which means that flipping it end for end won't have much downside.

I'd add that an inverted, multiple-woofer tower like an A5 will no longer mirror midbass energy against the floor to smooth its response - woofers up in the center of the room come closer to being equi-distant from floor and ceiling so response suffers somewhat. Some may find that problematic.

Putting the tweeter end of the speaker directly against another piece of furniture also creates new and unwanted reflections on the treble end of the scale, so the overall effect isn't ideal there either. Crossover and geometry-induced vertical directivity also change somewhat but won't be considered as important.

It's been done but aside from the cost of having to replace the speaker, ideally it's probably something to avoid.

Last edited by Jon Lane; 08-15-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #4629 of 4671 Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
It's been done before and it's said to be an acceptable option. Conventional wisdom says that since a vertical driver stack has good horizontal uniformity, it will have little relevance vertically, which means that flipping it end for end won't have much downside.

I'd add that an inverted, multiple-woofer tower like an A5 will no longer mirror midbass energy against the floor to smooth its response - woofers up in the center of the room come closer to being equi-distant from floor and ceiling so response suffers somewhat. Some may find that problematic.

Putting the tweeter end of the speaker directly against another piece of furniture also creates new and unwanted reflections on the treble end of the scale, so the overall effect isn't ideal there either. Changes due to crossover and geometry-induced vertical directivity also change somewhat but won't be considered as important.

It's been done but aside from the cost of having to replace the speaker, ideally it's probably something to avoid.
Thank you very much Jon for your helpful and detailed response, I expected no less from you! I'll rearrange the theater room as needed to keep my A5.4's positioned as is where they sound phenomenal.

Best regards,
Ross

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
post #4630 of 4671 Old 08-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Question about A1.5

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my HT in my large living room (open floor plan with kitchen, living, dining and entry, all in about 40x40, main living area about 19x19, 8 foot ceilings all around). I've researched and discussed extensively, and this is not a question about what speakers I need to actually fill my area with sound (need bigger towers, very large speakers, more power, etc; none of these are options right now).

However, I have my speaker choice narrowed down to a few, the A1.5 being a top contender. What worries me is the sensitivity. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V683. To be completely honest, I've really struggled understanding power specs. Basically, if my use is 80/20 HT/Music and I'm running a 5.1 system off this receiver (A1.5 as LR), will I have enough power to get the 1.5's loud? I don't have a need for blistering levels, but enough to hear music around the house and to add some excitement to movies.

Really I just want to make sure that if I boost the levels on the A1.5 to where it sounds good that I won't have issues with my receiver. Anyone had issues with the low sensitivity?

Add on question - I've seen so many good reviews about the A1.4, but not a whole lot on the 1.5 since it was just released. Any obvious negatives or massive improvements to note?

Thanks for all of your help in advance!
post #4631 of 4671 Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2809 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
That receiver is not a powerhouse, but it's not a wimp, either. 90 watts, with 2 channels driven, is probably about the same as most mid-level receivers (who claim 100+ watts, a negligible difference).

Whether it will work for you at 40 feet away is another issue, if you want to listen LOUD at that distance. You would be better off with speakers placed in the other area, so you will not have to drive them so hard to get the volume levels you may want. This is easy with zone 2 capability in the receiver.

There are no guarantees. One man's loud is another man's normal listening level. I would just try it and see. What, maybe $30 to return if dissatisfied? Money well spent, IMO, to be sure you are getting something you can live with for the long term.

1.5 is pretty much the same as 1.4, with minor improvements. This speaker has gotten great reviews during it's many year progression to the 1.5. There is zero reason to assume it has now, all of a sudden, become crap.

I can see your hand wringing from here! Stop overthinking and get on with it.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #4632 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer0928 View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my HT in my large living room (open floor plan with kitchen, living, dining and entry, all in about 40x40, main living area about 19x19, 8 foot ceilings all around).

Really I just want to make sure that if I boost the levels on the A1.5 to where it sounds good that I won't have issues with my receiver. Anyone had issues with the low sensitivity?

Add on question - I've seen so many good reviews about the A1.4, but not a whole lot on the 1.5 since it was just released. Any obvious negatives or massive improvements to note?
Check my signature for a review of the A1.5s (right at the end of the thread is a stand-alone review), or you can see a smaller portion of it on the Chane website (JS review). Better yet, check out posts No. 4416 by @rhelliott2 and 4621 by @Bigbirney in this thread, who recently upgraded to A1.5s and call them superior to a whole host of other bookshelves they've owned.

I note your space is huge. For comparison purposes, my family room is 15x18x8.5 (2300 cubic feet) but opens to a kitchen area which adds another 2600 cubic feet. As I discuss in my review, I recently tried the A1.5s as L/R in 2.0 and was quite impressed by their ability to fill the space with sound. I'm running off an Onkyo TX-RZ620 (100 wpc, 2 ch driven), so slightly more power than you might have. And I did have to turn the volume know up a bit relative to the A5.4 towers. But not to some ridiculous level. My AVR doesn't do (-dB) measurements from reference, it just runs 0-100. With the A5.4s, in 2.0, I have never pushed volume over 70 (it gets scary loud!). With the A1.5s in 2.0, I pushed volume at 60-70 and it was more than enough to fill the space. I can't imagine what going up to 80 would produce...

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
post #4633 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
Check my signature for a review of the A1.5s (right at the end of the thread is a stand-alone review), or you can see a smaller portion of it on the Chane website (JS review). Better yet, check out posts No. 4416 by @rhelliott2 and 4621 by @Bigbirney in this thread, who recently upgraded to A1.5s and call them superior to a whole host of other bookshelves they've owned.

I note your space is huge. For comparison purposes, my family room is 15x18x8.5 (2300 cubic feet) but opens to a kitchen area which adds another 2600 cubic feet. As I discuss in my review, I recently tried the A1.5s as L/R in 2.0 and was quite impressed by their ability to fill the space with sound. I'm running off an Onkyo TX-RZ620 (100 wpc, 2 ch driven), so slightly more power than you might have. And I did have to turn the volume know up a bit relative to the A5.4 towers. But not to some ridiculous level. My AVR doesn't do (-dB) measurements from reference, it just runs 0-100. With the A5.4s, in 2.0, I have never pushed volume over 70 (it gets scary loud!). With the A1.5s in 2.0, I pushed volume at 60-70 and it was more than enough to fill the space. I can't imagine what going up to 80 would produce...
Sorry, don't mean to change the subject,,,, but your Onkyo should have a volume display option in the menu setting,,, just adjust to "relative" if your interested,,,,, "0" will then be reference. Cheers!

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #4634 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Sorry, don't mean to change the subject,,,, but your Onkyo should have a volume display option in the menu setting,,, just adjust to "relative" if your interested,,,,, "0" will then be reference. Cheers!
I've looked for this setting on every menu and in the advance manual, and I don't believe it is an option on my AVR. I don't know why - it seems more useful to display relative volume, especially when sharing settings with others, and every other AVR brand operates this way...

If you (or anybody else here) know how to do this on an Onkyo TX-RZ620, please let me know...there's nothing about it in a google search, either...

post #4635 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've looked for this setting on every menu and in the advance manual, and I don't believe it is an option on my AVR. I don't know why - it seems more useful to display relative volume, especially when sharing settings with others, and every other AVR brand operates this way...

If you (or anybody else here) know how to do this on an Onkyo TX-RZ620, please let me know...there's nothing about it in a google search, either...
Under "audio" then "volume" then "scale" is that not there anywhere? It's been a while since i had my Integra set up but Onkyo has always had that relative option as far as i know. Found my old Integra instruction manual, hopefully similar to your Onkyo,,,,,,,, in your menu scroll down and select the "miscellaneous" option then "volume set up" should be right there.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #4636 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Question for @Jon Lane

Thanks,
Ross
I have Chane's across the front - A5.4s LR and A2.4 center. I also have (had...) 2 subs placed into the corners (I have only 2 corners available at the front of the room due to great room constraints). A couple of days ago I got my UMIC-1 and started playing with REW. I learned that two subs DON'T always play well together - I had substantial nulls, and peaks, that I could not "position" away. Turns out my room response was much better with only one sub, so now I have an expensive heavy end table...
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

Chane A5.4 LR, Chane A2.4 center, Polk RC85i in-wall side-surround, NHT Super One rear surround, SVS PB-12 NSD, HSU-VFT-1, LG OLED 55B6A
post #4637 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 305
^^ If you want the extra headroom and/or output capability of the two subs, even if you can't position them for a smoother response, just colocate them. You can stack them vertically or move the first one half its width to the left or right and place the new one immediately to the other side. Should result in almost identical response with 3-6 dB more headroom.

It sounds like you may have already divested yourself of the extra sub, but if not it can be more than just an expensive end table.

Edit: With regard to positioning, you need not limit yourself to room corners only - unless WAF or aesthetic issues so dictate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

post #4638 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
^^ If you want the extra headroom and/or output capability of the two subs, even if you can't position them for a smoother response, just colocate them. You can stack them vertically or move the first one half its width to the left or right and place the new one immediately to the other side. Should result in almost identical response with 3-6 dB more headroom.

It sounds like you may have already divested yourself of the extra sub, but if not it can be more than just an expensive end table.

Edit: With regard to positioning, you need not limit yourself to room corners only - unless WAF or aesthetic issues so dictate.

My room is really, really difficult. Other than the two front corners, no other place is even possible due to furniture and hall ways. I actually did stack the non-identical subs to see what the scans looked like. My "big" sub is the SVS PB12 NSB front firing. Old sub is a down-firing HSU VTF-1. The Hsu has to go on top of the SVS due to footprint and weight (I can't lift the SVS...) That arrangement DID give me essentially duplicate, and acceptable, scans. It also gives me a 4' stack in the corner. I'm not sure I need the extra headroom, but I might see if the wife approves and if I can run another 25' sub cable around the house.

Chane A5.4 LR, Chane A2.4 center, Polk RC85i in-wall side-surround, NHT Super One rear surround, SVS PB-12 NSD, HSU-VFT-1, LG OLED 55B6A
post #4639 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Under "audio" then "volume" then "scale" is that not there anywhere? It's been a while since i had my Integra set up but Onkyo has always had that relative option as far as i know. Found my old Integra instruction manual, hopefully similar to your Onkyo,,,,,,,, in your menu scroll down and select the "miscellaneous" option then "volume set up" should be right there.
Under Audio Adjust, then under Volume, the only options are
Mute Level
Max Volume (0-100)
Power On Volume
Headphone Level

I spent a long time looking for this option online and in the manual, and some time on the Onkyo RZ owners thread, and it doesn't seem to be an option on these newer AVRs. No matter. I just tell folks I typically max out at 70/100, and that gets the gist across.

post #4640 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Under Audio Adjust, then under Volume, the only options are
Mute Level
Max Volume (0-100)
Power On Volume
Headphone Level

I spent a long time looking for this option online and in the manual, and some time on the Onkyo RZ owners thread, and it doesn't seem to be an option on these newer AVRs. No matter. I just tell folks I typically max out at 70/100, and that gets the gist across.
Lets not plug up the Chane thread with this,,,,, post this over on the Onkyo thread if you haven't yet as you will get some good help and confirmation likely there. Cheers!

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #4641 of 4671 Old 08-16-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
My "big" sub is the SVS PB12 NSB front firing. Old sub is a down-firing HSU VTF-1.

With disparate subs and different firing directions, you may have had phase issues causing your poor frequency response. Maybe . . .

Quote:
I might see if the wife approves and if I can run another 25' sub cable around the house.
Just use a Y connector at the end of the line you already have.

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

post #4642 of 4671 Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Ordered a pair of 1.5’s Friday. I wonder when they will ship??

They shipped today 8/21/2019.
BufordTJustice and rhelliott2 like this.

Last edited by mark62; 08-21-2019 at 11:37 PM.
post #4643 of 4671 Old 08-21-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
... I learned that two subs DON'T always play well together - I had substantial nulls, and peaks, that I could not "position" away....
I use an equalizer (Rane ME60) to help get my multiple subs to work together instead of work against each other. Using REW I first tune one sub to match my main speakers (Chane A5s), then I tune the other subs to match, then I run Audyssey which usually helps a little more. Not all frequencies fall in line but it's much better than not eq'ing.

MAIN SPEAKERS: (2) Chane A5rx-c. CENTER SPKR: (1) Chane A2.4. SURROUND SPKRS: (4) Chane A1.4.
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR706. MAIN AMP: ATI 1506. SUBS: (1) 15" DIY sealed box, (2) 18" Fi DIY IB. SUB AMP: Behringer EP4000. TV: plasma Panasonic TC-P55VT50. REMOTE: Harmony 700.
post #4644 of 4671 Old 08-23-2019, 11:29 PM

Liked: 203
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my HT in my large living room (open floor plan with kitchen, living, dining and entry, all in about 40x40, main living area about 19x19, 8 foot ceilings all around). I've researched and discussed extensively, and this is not a question about what speakers I need to actually fill my area with sound (need bigger towers, very large speakers, more power, etc; none of these are options right now).
Wow, thats a lot of space! I just moved from a 40x20 HT room and I have A5 L/R, and A1 centers and surrounds. I love the sound quality of the Arx I have ( 1st gen before the Lane/Chase merger) and I love that aspect, however in that small room I would have liked more umph from the smaller A1's. The A5's kept up but thankfully I had a healthy Sherbourn SR120. Specs for the SR120 are:

left, center and right channels are rated at 120/175 Watts into 8/4 Ohms
the two rear and two side channels are rated at 75/100 Watts into 8/4 Ohms.
From 20 Hz – 20KHz all channels driven. AND With no more than 0.05% THD.

Your Yamaha RX-V683 is
Rated Output Power [y](1kHz, 2ch driven)[/y]

My receiver is providing power across the whole range while the Yamaha is only giving you 105 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD) and Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) is actually only 90 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

The power supply on the Sherbourn is a monster and I ran a Denon and a Sony AVR before the SR120. Both were in excess of the 100 watt range but the sound quality is night/day difference. It was enough that the wife noticed the sound quality difference. I was in the basement swapping AVR's and she yelled down the stairs asking what I did???? I told her the swap, she mentioned "Oh l like that a lot better". She doesn't normally give 2 sh$ts but she noticed the quality change, as did I especially at high volume. No more clipping or sounding harsh.

In that large space, IMHO I'd go w/ the A5's. You'll never regret having the extra umph they provide. They sound stellar but being able to really let them sing in demanding movie moments or when you're trying to really crank your favorite song, the A5's will NOT disappoint.

Quote:
However, I have my speaker choice narrowed down to a few, the A1.5 being a top contender. What worries me is the sensitivity. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V683. To be completely honest, I've really struggled understanding power specs. Basically, if my use is 80/20 HT/Music and I'm running a 5.1 system off this receiver (A1.5 as LR), will I have enough power to get the 1.5's loud? I don't have a need for blistering levels, but enough to hear music around the house and to add some excitement to movies.

Thanks for all of your help in advance!
IF you really want to add excitement the A5's take it to a whole other level. If I could tell myself in 2013, I'd say order A5's L/R and the larger 2.4's for c/surrounds. The great thing about the A5's, is that they sound clear at nearly any volume. I can assure you any receiver trying to push small book shelves " to hear music around the house and to add some excitement to movies." isn't gonna happen in a 40x40 room.
Spend the money once, get the A5 towers L/R and the 2.4's for Center and surrounds. You'll never regret having "too much speaker" but you'll hate having not enough. The sound quality and the dynamic ability will be lost if you go w/ small book shelves. I've heard bookshelves then heard my A5's and I'll never go smaller again. The extra sound affects you're able to pick up from both movies and music w/ the A5's will make it worth while.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
For sale = JTR 218HT captivator https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58490876

Last edited by powerlifter405; 08-23-2019 at 11:34 PM.
post #4645 of 4671 Old 08-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post
...the A5's will NOT disappoint.

I've heard bookshelves then heard my A5's and I'll never go smaller again. The extra sound affects you're able to pick up from both movies and music w/ the A5's will make it worth while.
Truer words never spoken! Based on others' reported experiences here on AVS, a very strong case can be made that A2.4s as L/R/C will shine, but I'd guess they'll shine better in a smaller space than @engineer0928 is trying to fill. My recent comparison of the A1.5s to the A5.4s showed me the A5.4s were absolutely the right way to go for my 2300 cubic feet family room (4800 cubic feet when counting the opening to the kitchen!). While the A2.4s are probably fully capable of filling that space (I don't know for sure since I only have one of them for center), the A5.4s do so with no signs of stress and plenty of additional power in reserve. As I mentioned in my A/B comparison, the A1.5s are no slouches...but if you have a big space and a run-of-the-mill AVR, the A5.4 is the way to go.

My only hesitation in recommending the A5.4s right now is that the A5.5s are on the way, but as @BufordTJustice has mentioned, unless one was to A/B them in the same space, the upgrade to A5.5 from the A5.4 probably wouldn't be overwhelmingly obvious. And there's no specific A5.5 release date yet...so there may be quite a wait.

By the way, the Sherbourn SR120 sounds like a monster...how much did that thing cost you?? And where in the world did you find one to buy??

post #4646 of 4671 Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 PM

Liked: 203
Quote:
Truer words never spoken! the A1.5s are no slouches...but if you have a big space and a run-of-the-mill AVR, the A5.4 is the way to go.

My only hesitation in recommending the A5.4s right now is that the A5.5s are on the way, but as @BufordTJustice has mentioned, unless one was to A/B them in the same space, the upgrade to A5.5 from the A5.4 probably wouldn't be overwhelmingly obvious. And there's no specific A5.5 release date yet...so there may be quite a wait.

By the way, the Sherbourn SR120 sounds like a monster...how much did that thing cost you?? And where in the world did you find one to buy??
When I got my Arx back in late 2013 early 2014 I was talking w/ @jonlane and I was telling him about some SQ issues I was having w/ my Denon. He mentioned to me the Emotiva/Sherbourn merger and some close out prices. I got it brand new in the box, they retailed for about $3500 IIRC but I paid about a 1/3 of that w/ tax/shipping etc as I recall. It's about 70ish lbs shipped I believe, but either way it physically is large. The power supply is soft ball sized windings.
BufordTJustice and jwskud like this.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
For sale = JTR 218HT captivator https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58490876
post #4647 of 4671 Old 08-28-2019, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I totally agree that the towers would have been better - I've already mentally committed to having a standalone HT room in the future, but that wouldn't be for 5-10 years still. Right now I'm working with a significant amount of variables - namely cost and WAF. Wife said she actually likes the look of the wall mounts I got for bookshelves, but was and is adamant about NO TOWERS! lol.

By the way, I already ordered the A1.5's and they will be here tomorrow! I'll update letting everyone know how they sound with a mediocre AVR and in that large space. Thanks all for the comments and help - I'm beyond excited!
post #4648 of 4671 Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 AM

I have a question for @Jon Lane and @BufordTJustice regarding the A2.4 as compared to the A5.4.

I recently compared my A5.4s to my A1.5s as L/R mains and was pleasantly surprised by how well the A1.5s filled my large space, albeit with a required boost in volume, as the A5.4 has 90 dB sensitivity and the A1.5 is 84.5 dB.

If I run the same sort of mental comparison with the A2.4, with 90 dB sensitivity (just like the A5.4), the conclusion I come to (in my ignorance) is that A2.4 L/Rs would have the same space-filling volume as the A5.4s at the same power level. I believe the 3 woofers on the A5.4 are simply to make up for the bigger cabinet volume (with regards to 47 Hz extension, not necessarily volume). Is that correct?

I guess I'm wondering how much different A2.4s sound from A5.4s as mains in a large space. I assume a "freed up" midwoofer for the A5.4 gives it an advantage with regards to midrange(?), but I suspect they'd sound very similar.

Can you (or anybody who has A/B'd them) describe the differences? I was lucky to be able to get the towers but lots of folks are restricted to the smaller bookshelves...
engineer0928 likes this.

post #4649 of 4671 Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
I have a question for @Jon Lane and @BufordTJustice regarding the A2.4 as compared to the A5.4.
JW, the A5 floor speaker has twice the cone area and a good 50% more available output than the A2. It has more thermal headroom and more acoustical headroom. It also has a lower impedance.

Together the woofers determine each speaker's impedance. A pair in the 2.4 come to a nominal 8 ohms, and three in the A5.4 come to about a nominal 5.5 ohms.

Summing up, the A5.4 is a larger speaker but because of the lower impedance, it also plays louder at a particular level setting. The overall impression you'll get in everyday use is that it's simply the larger, more powerful speaker.

The A2.4 is probably a little closer in subjective sound to the A5.4 than the A1.5, but they all more or less occupy the slots you'd assume; acoustically small, medium, and large.
BufordTJustice, yanks1 and jwskud like this.
post #4650 of 4671 Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
JW, the A5 floor speaker has twice the cone area and a good 50% more available output than the A2. It has more thermal headroom and more acoustical headroom. It also has a lower impedance.

Together the woofers determine each speaker's impedance. A pair in the 2.4 come to a nominal 8 ohms, and three in the A5.4 come to about a nominal 5.5 ohms.

Summing up, the A5.4 is a larger speaker but because of the lower impedance, it also plays louder at a particular level setting. The overall impression you'll get in everyday use is that it's simply the larger, more powerful speaker.
Thanks, this is now beginning to make sense (I knew there was a clear differentiation in "output" between the A5.4s and A1.5s based on my A/B comparison), although some aspects of it still make my head spin. I have been educating myself on basic acoustics for the past year, but some things are still beyond my scope of comprehension!

For example: a lower impedance speaker being louder at a particular volume setting. I had always thought a lower-impedance speaker simply "sucks up more juice" than a higher impedance speaker (sort of like a wider tube allowing more water to pass than a smaller tube, the lower the impedance, the more current flowing to the speaker), and that at any given volume setting the "output" from both speakers would be the same, since the lower impedance speaker just sucks up more juice (i.e. I thought all that extra energy was being wasted somehow). But that's exactly the opposite of what happens. Lower impedance = more current = more output. The extra juice being sent from the AVR is going to extra drivers, after all.

So I suppose lower impedance speakers are thereby preferable, as long as you are not taxing your AVR to provide the necessary current? And sensitivity is relative to impedance level in some fashion (i.e. impedance of 6 ohms at 90 dB sensitivity is going to sound louder than impedance of 8 ohms at 90 dB sensitivity)?

Sorry for all the questions and my total lack of understanding, and if I'm misusing any terms here.

At the end of the day, all I really know for sure is that I'm ecstatic I could get the A5.4s - they are powerful and clear and you have a very happy customer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page