**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7534Likes

post #4741 of 4885 Old 11-26-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Good deal. That's always been my issue as well justifying LCR's over towers with the added stand cost. Be careful getting them out of the box and moved because Chane speakers are very dense. I had to duck walk my pair into place because I couldn't hold onto them by the sides and lift them up and move like I did with my other towers.

Yeah, the midwoofers employ big motor structures and cast baskets, and the towers are 3/4” high grade MDF all around (even top and bottom). They also use multiple full perimeter 3/4” MDF window braces inside. I think the A5 has at least 3. Maybe more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zeekle likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4885 Old 11-26-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Yeah, the midwoofers employ big motor structures and cast baskets, and the towers are 3/4” high grade MDF all around (even top and bottom). They also use multiple full perimeter 3/4” MDF window braces inside. I think the A5 has at least 3. Maybe more.

That definitely explains it. Last month or so I was cleaning and moved my A2.4 off it's perch for a while to clean under it and I accidentally wacked my shin bone on the edge of the speaker on the floor not paying attention to where I had placed it and that was pain like I haven't had in my bones since I hit my knee on a trailer pin and ball mount while walking around a Suburban for appraisal back in the day. Good times.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4743 of 4885 Old 11-26-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
That definitely explains it. Last month or so I was cleaning and moved my A2.4 off it's perch for a while to clean under it and I accidentally wacked my shin bone on the edge of the speaker on the floor not paying attention to where I had placed it and that was pain like I haven't had in my bones since I hit my knee on a trailer pin and ball mount while walking around a Suburban for appraisal back in the day. Good times.

As my grandmother used to say, “that’s not even fun when you’re drunk!”

Ouch!!

indebtbassfreak likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4744 of 4885 Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As my grandmother used to say, “that’s not even fun when you’re drunk!”

Ouch!!

Wise woman. It left a very small dent in my shin bone as well that I could feel at the time. Speaker won that round.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4745 of 4885 Old 11-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any info when the a5.5's release?
post #4746 of 4885 Old 11-27-2019, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received by A2.4. I need to set them up as my L/R. Can someone please tell me what is the orientation in which they need to be stood up. Does the rear port need to be at the bottom half or top.

HT 5.1.4 : Marantz SR-6012; Chane A2.4 L/C/R; Revel W563 Surrounds; HSU VTF-2 MK5; Revel C263 Atmos; Epson 5040ub
Family Room 5.1: Marantz SR-6006; Elac B6 LR; RSL CG23 C; Sony Core SSCS5 surrounds; Martin Logan MLT-2 Subwoofer; LG 65"UHD
post #4747 of 4885 Old 11-27-2019, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen83 View Post
I just received by A2.4. I need to set them up as my L/R. Can someone please tell me what is the orientation in which they need to be stood up. Does the rear port need to be at the bottom half or top.

That’s not vital. Either way works. In a perfect world, having the port slightly closer to the ground is slightly more ideal.

But, i actually tested having one A2.4 with the port high and the other with it lower and i honestly couldn’t tell a difference in my room between having them both lower.

Obviously having the tweeters vertical is vastly more important.

rajen83 likes this.

post #4748 of 4885 Old 11-28-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Happy Thanksgiving! I am intrigued on the new A5’s. I was on the original group buy on the first A5 models, back in 2012. I was looking at upgrading my speakers upstairs with A1.5’s and an A2.4. In my basement, my current set up is the original A5, A2rx-C, and A1b’s as the surround, run by Denon AVR-4200W and an Outlaw 5000. Now I’m contemplating moving that whole speaker system upstairs and get the new A5.5’s (A2.4, and A1.5 for surround) for in the basement. Jon / Buford, in your opinion, what would be the largest gain by upgrading from the original A5 to the A5.5. I’m a huge fan of the laid back or neutral sound of these speakers and two years ago, when I went from an Onkyo to a Denon, it was a great move. Adding the Outlaw last year was the cherry on top and I get tons of compliments on the sound quality, and always get “I never heard of those speakers”. Only the diligent know 😁
post #4749 of 4885 Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
I have a mid century modern couch that puts my ears on the low side. I use 24” stands for both the A2.4 and A1.5, but that’s barely tall enough for me.

My ear sits at 39.5” from the ground. The rear of the couch cushion sits right at 28” high (mid shoulder blade). The 24” stand is barely acceptable for me.

So i would advise going with a 26” or even 28” (for the A1.5) mass-loadable stand (like the four post monoprice stands) for most listening use cases.

Damn, I don't think that will work. My Screen starts 40" from the floor, and to have the 2.4's high enough for proper placement they would be a foot into my viewing area

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - KEf Q300 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #4750 of 4885 Old 11-29-2019, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
Damn, I don't think that will work. My Screen starts 40" from the floor, and to have the 2.4's high enough for proper placement they would be a foot into my viewing area

You could situate them in shorter stands and aim them up with foam wedges.

I’ve advised this in the past to combat some rear wall interference where acoustical treatments were not an option for aesthetic reasons. Kinda a JBL L100 ish style presentation, but not that squat.

Having tweeters at ear level is ideal, but AIMING them at your ear is still the main goal. If you don’t have an ottoman or coffee table obstructing a direct line of sight for the tweeters, you could go 20” or even 18”-16” on the stands.

However, the A5.5 will get the tweeters higher and not have another 5.25” driver stacked on top. Maybe look at that special going on right now?

Jon Lane likes this.

post #4751 of 4885 Old 12-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfp76 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving! I am intrigued on the new A5’s. I was on the original group buy on the first A5 models, back in 2012. I was looking at upgrading my speakers upstairs with A1.5’s and an A2.4. In my basement, my current set up is the original A5, A2rx-C, and A1b’s as the surround, run by Denon AVR-4200W and an Outlaw 5000. Now I’m contemplating moving that whole speaker system upstairs and get the new A5.5’s (A2.4, and A1.5 for surround) for in the basement. Jon / Buford, in your opinion, what would be the largest gain by upgrading from the original A5 to the A5.5. I’m a huge fan of the laid back or neutral sound of these speakers and two years ago, when I went from an Onkyo to a Denon, it was a great move. Adding the Outlaw last year was the cherry on top and I get tons of compliments on the sound quality, and always get “I never heard of those speakers”. Only the diligent know 😁
Hopefully Jon or Buford will see your post to respond, but I think your idea of moving the old models upstairs and buying the current set for your main basement system is a great one. Jon seems to have improved each new generation. I have the previous A5.4's and they are amazing for the price, and am considering replacing my A1.4 surrounds with the newer A1.5 just based on the rave reports.

Today might be the last day to use the coupon code for the nice savings on the A5.5's, and perhaps there is more bundle discount if you are also ordering 1.5's and 2.4, check with Jon.

Ross

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
post #4752 of 4885 Old 12-02-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfp76 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving! I am intrigued on the new A5’s. I was on the original group buy on the first A5 models, back in 2012. I was looking at upgrading my speakers upstairs with A1.5’s and an A2.4. In my basement, my current set up is the original A5, A2rx-C, and A1b’s as the surround, run by Denon AVR-4200W and an Outlaw 5000. Now I’m contemplating moving that whole speaker system upstairs and get the new A5.5’s (A2.4, and A1.5 for surround) for in the basement. Jon / Buford, in your opinion, what would be the largest gain by upgrading from the original A5 to the A5.5. I’m a huge fan of the laid back or neutral sound of these speakers and two years ago, when I went from an Onkyo to a Denon, it was a great move. Adding the Outlaw last year was the cherry on top and I get tons of compliments on the sound quality, and always get “I never heard of those speakers”. Only the diligent know

A5->A5.5. Four generations of development apart.

Well, the hardware is different. You’ve got an improved tweeter in a new waveguide. You’ve got an enhanced midrange driver. You’ve got refined XBL2 SplitGap midwoofers. And you’re getting a completely different (improved) crossover.

What does that sound like? Better dynamic envelope. Better low level detail retrieval. Better detail retrieval at all output levels. More accurate imaging that is wider, deeper, and more discretely stratified among the different perceptual sound sources in a given piece of music. You also get slightly deeper bass tuning.

The 5.5’s are more airy and delicate, but simultaneously even less harsh than the originals (which struck an amazing balance between detail extraction and harshness). Which is to say, the 5.5 is more refined. It’s a net improvement in every area of performance.

For these improvements, you trade a little bit of sensitivity.

The A1.5 and A2.4, with similar design chops, have most of the same enhancements, and most of the same resulting improvements in performance. The A2.4 will also play louder than the A2rx-c before signaling any type of stress. Not that you need that.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you want any more specifics.

post #4753 of 4885 Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of 3 a2.4s for my LCR but the last thing I need to figure out is if I can properly secure the LR speakers on stands that my toddler can't tip over and hurt himself with. I know towers would be safer but they're well outside of my budget range.

I am planning on going with the 24" Monoprice Monolith stands that you can fill with sand so I hope the stands themselves will be too heavy for a toddler to pull over. Can anyone who has a similar setup confirm?

Also do you think 24" stands will put the tweeters high enough for a typical couch setup? I have debated going up to the 28" stands but that would make them even more top heavy.

The next concern is if the stands could be tilted enough to knock the speaker off. I've seen some people suggest attaching the speaker to the stand with sticky blue tack but I'm skeptical that would hold it on if the stand got tilted. I've considered attaching the speaker with something with a strong hold like maybe velcro?

Any thoughts?
post #4754 of 4885 Old 12-03-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Looks like the 5.5s are shipping this week
BufordTJustice and yanks1 like this.
post #4755 of 4885 Old 12-04-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrules712 View Post
I am planning on going with the 24" Monoprice Monolith stands that you can fill with sand so I hope the stands themselves will be too heavy for a toddler to pull over. Can anyone who has a similar setup confirm?
Hi - I have the A5.4 towers and my youngest is now 6, so I cannot directly answer your question, but there have been a lot of posts to this thread about stands for the A2.4s, where tipping/safety is a concern. I know lots of users have purchased metal stands that can be filled with ball bearings or "shot," such that the stand becomes much heavier than the heavy A2.4.

See posts like 3904 @flyinion or 3335 to 3341 @BufordTJustice or just search this thread for stands/A2.4/monoprice.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra and Isobar 4; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
post #4756 of 4885 Old 12-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 334
**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread**

Quote:
Hi everyone, I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of 3 a2.4s for my LCR but the last thing I need to figure out is if I can properly secure the LR speakers on stands that my toddler can't tip over and hurt himself with. I know towers would be safer but they're well outside of my budget range.

Also do you think 24" stands will put the tweeters high enough for a typical couch setup? I have debated going up to the 28" stands but that would make them even more top heavy.

The next concern is if the stands could be tilted enough to knock the speaker off. I've seen some people suggest attaching the speaker to the stand with sticky blue tack but I'm skeptical that would hold it on if the stand got tilted. I've considered attaching the speaker with something with a strong hold like maybe velcro?

Any thoughts?

I don't have 2.4's on my stands but I do have 1.4's on those 28" monoprice monolith stands with the 4 rectangle tubes that can be filled. I haven't even bothered to fill them.

Those stands are really solid. With 2.4's you might want to fill just for some extra weight though. I used 4 little spots of the loctite brand of the blue tac stuff and my 1.4's feel like they're bolted on. They haven't budged in over a year now. I should mention I'm also on tile floor with the carpet spikes adjusted to level the speakers.

As far as ear level they put the tweeters just about ear level maybe an inch high of being centered. Kind of depends on your seating and body though. I'm 5' 11". Couch is not super low but not a high model either.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K

Last edited by flyinion; 12-04-2019 at 04:54 PM.
post #4757 of 4885 Old 12-05-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
A5->A5.5. Four generations of development apart.

Well, the hardware is different. You’ve got an improved tweeter in a new waveguide. You’ve got an enhanced midrange driver. You’ve got refined XBL2 SplitGap midwoofers. And you’re getting a completely different (improved) crossover.

What does that sound like? Better dynamic envelope. Better low level detail retrieval. Better detail retrieval at all output levels. More accurate imaging that is wider, deeper, and more discretely stratified among the different perceptual sound sources in a given piece of music. You also get slightly deeper bass tuning.

The 5.5’s are more airy and delicate, but simultaneously even less harsh than the originals (which struck an amazing balance between detail extraction and harshness). Which is to say, the 5.5 is more refined. It’s a net improvement in every area of performance.

For these improvements, you trade a little bit of sensitivity.

The A1.5 and A2.4, with similar design chops, have most of the same enhancements, and most of the same resulting improvements in performance. The A2.4 will also play louder than the A2rx-c before signaling any type of stress. Not that you need that.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you want any more specifics.

Thanks for the response Buford. Decisions, decisions......
post #4758 of 4885 Old 12-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I got the 5.5s in last night. Compared to the Athena speakers I had they are pretty tiny but a bit heavier. I didn't get to listen much but dialog sounds much cleaner than what I had there previous.

They were packed really well. My boxes had some damage but nothing appears to have happened to the speakers themselves.
bkeeler10 and BufordTJustice like this.
post #4759 of 4885 Old 12-11-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't trust Velcro over blu tac for securing speakers. You use enough of it it'll take some gorilla type strength to get them off the stand. Load moisture free sand or steel shot in the base and that along with a good amount of blu tack should keep things safe for the little guy.

post #4760 of 4885 Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
I wouldn't trust Velcro over blu tac for securing speakers. You use enough of it it'll take some gorilla type strength to get them off the stand. Load moisture free sand or steel shot in the base and that along with a good amount of blu tack should keep things safe for the little guy.

Agreed 100%.

Velcro, by its design, tolerates a certain percentage of movement with relatively little resistance, then the resistance climbs quickly, then it rapidly tapers.

Bluetac holds nearly identically to loctite in terms of the way it yields; you get full strength until it starts to give.

The Monoprice stands are stupid good for the money. Fill those with dried playground sand from the homeless depot and you’re good to go. Pro tip: BUY A FUNNEL that fits the opening. Lol.

Madmax67 likes this.

post #4761 of 4885 Old 12-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
L/C/R recommendation

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my LCR to possibly Chane, since I hear nothing but good things about them, especially the A2.4. However, I am waffling between 3 x A2.4, or 2 x A1.5 and A2.4 for center.

Current system:
  • 70/30 for HT vs Music
  • Denon X4000
  • 22-year-old Atlantic Tech 250.1 speakers for 5.1 (but sub is now a Rythmik L12). We will keep the ATs for surround.
  • We sit about 12 feet back from speakers, and L/R have about 8 feet separation (mounted on stands).
  • L/Rs have about 8 inches between back of speaker and the wall.
  • We don't listen loud - usually volume is 40-45 on the absolute scale of the Denon. Nowhere close to reference.
  • Room is a typical subdivision-house family room about 13 x 17, open to kitchen on one side.

Problems I would like to address:
  • Narrow horizontal dispersion/sweet-spot of center channel
  • Weird dialog distortion of lower male voices - happens a lot when Sherlock is talking in "Elementary" DVDs, and in "Man in the High Castle".
  • General dialog muddiness, especially in any newer action movie.
  • General feeling that sound could be better than 22-year-old LCR speakers.

So would 3x A2.4 be overkill for how we use the system, or would they bring something to the table that we would miss? Don't care at all about the price difference if we would be better off with A2.4 all around, but if we won't use them, no reason to get them.

Thanks!

Scott Barnhart

Last edited by sbarnhar; 12-13-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #4762 of 4885 Old 12-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
A5.5’s been in for a week. Legitimate upgrade to the Polk monitor 60 series 2 that I’ve been using for the past 7 years. Right now these are being driven by a Denon 3312CI which has 125w 2 channels driven.

They have a much more refined sound. It sounds less like I’m listening to audio and more like I’m listening to music. They are airy and transparent, the tweeter is something very special!

Vocals are very good male and female. I also started listening to jazz... because of these speakers. My goodness I’ve neglected an entire genre. It’s not that I never listened to jazz I listen to everything and I have teenage kids so I listen to all their stuff too but I’m so happy that I have another soul searching genre to dig through now.

If your on the edge and trying to decide you will not regret it, this is one hell of a speaker. The bass was the most surprising thing. I thought there is no way I could go without a subwoofer (and I still don’t have one in this setup) but while I was auditioning different tracks I was startled at what these were able to do. They are not subsonic and remember I’m using an AVR amp but wow I’m downright impressed. For music this might actually be enough after adding a high current amp. Not for home theater you still want a sub.

I realize just how poor the soundstage of my polks are now that I’ve heard these. And the sweet spot is more forgiving. Japanese drums sound like the real thing on these.

This is my first post I’ll try and collect my thoughts as I keep enjoying the music and report back not sure if these photos will get uploaded but here goes nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E5D0776-A62E-42D6-9C7B-D0EB04019DE7_1576386348533.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	2654252   Click image for larger version

Name:	95C24F22-6E10-452C-BD3B-60EA47A9EDB2_1576386361507.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2654254   Click image for larger version

Name:	028919EC-CE29-4248-9935-08304E2749A0_1576386375671.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	2654256   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FDA38AA-C1AD-44B9-9E06-ABC2738EE6C0_1576386393233.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2654258   Click image for larger version

Name:	8ECEF11F-7393-4DCC-A795-B26E7E9A9FC0_1576386404096.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	2654260  

post #4763 of 4885 Old 12-14-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3096 Post(s)
Liked: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnhar View Post
Hi,

So would 3x A2.4 be overkill for how we use the system, or would they bring something to the table that we would miss? Don't care at all about the price difference if we would be better off with A2.4 all around, but if we won't use them, no reason to get them.

Thanks!
Given your usage, the A1.5 x 2 + A2.4 should serve you just fine.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #4764 of 4885 Old 12-15-2019, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Given your usage, the A1.5 x 2 + A2.4 should serve you just fine.
This is what I have, in a fairly large room, and I am still regularly blown away by them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | HSU VTF2-Mk5 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #4765 of 4885 Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my LCR to possibly Chane, since I hear nothing but good things about them, especially the A2.4. However, I am waffling between 3 x A2.4, or 2 x A1.5 and A2.4 for center.

Current system:
  • 70/30 for HT vs Music
  • Denon X4000
  • 22-year-old Atlantic Tech 250.1 speakers for 5.1 (but sub is now a Rythmik L12). We will keep the ATs for surround.
  • We sit about 12 feet back from speakers, and L/R have about 8 feet separation (mounted on stands).
  • L/Rs have about 8 inches between back of speaker and the wall.
  • We don't listen loud - usually volume is 40-45 on the absolute scale of the Denon. Nowhere close to reference.
  • Room is a typical subdivision-house family room about 13 x 17, open to kitchen on one side.

Problems I would like to address:
  • Narrow horizontal dispersion/sweet-spot of center channel
  • Weird dialog distortion of lower male voices - happens a lot when Sherlock is talking in "Elementary" DVDs, and in "Man in the High Castle".
  • General dialog muddiness, especially in any newer action movie.
  • General feeling that sound could be better than 22-year-old LCR speakers.

Thanks!

Both setups would directly address all your issues. However, the A1.5’s have less physical depth and can be placed closer to the wall, which is as much about not corrupting the midrange performance as it is about not muddying the bass.

Ports can be plugged in either, and you already have an excellent sub, which gives you the option of crossing basically as high as you like because the sub is so good/accurate in the upper bass.

I generally recommend grabbing the A2.4 for larger spaces or higher output. But, that’s not you.

Do you think you could snap a few pictures of your listening space?

sbarnhar likes this.

post #4766 of 4885 Old 12-15-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessAudio View Post
A5.5’s been in for a week. Legitimate upgrade to the Polk monitor 60 series 2 that I’ve been using for the past 7 years. Right now these are being driven by a Denon 3312CI which has 125w 2 channels driven.

They have a much more refined sound. It sounds less like I’m listening to audio and more like I’m listening to music. They are airy and transparent, the tweeter is something very special!

Vocals are very good male and female. I also started listening to jazz... because of these speakers. My goodness I’ve neglected an entire genre. It’s not that I never listened to jazz I listen to everything and I have teenage kids so I listen to all their stuff too but I’m so happy that I have another soul searching genre to dig through now.

If your on the edge and trying to decide you will not regret it, this is one hell of a speaker. The bass was the most surprising thing. I thought there is no way I could go without a subwoofer (and I still don’t have one in this setup) but while I was auditioning different tracks I was startled at what these were able to do. They are not subsonic and remember I’m using an AVR amp but wow I’m downright impressed. For music this might actually be enough after adding a high current amp. Not for home theater you still want a sub.

I realize just how poor the soundstage of my polks are now that I’ve heard these. And the sweet spot is more forgiving. Japanese drums sound like the real thing on these.

This is my first post I’ll try and collect my thoughts as I keep enjoying the music and report back not sure if these photos will get uploaded but here goes nothing.

There are many two channel, high current amps that would further upgrade the dynamism that the A5.5’s provide. I was getting useful output deep into the lower 30’s in my old, larger listening space with the original A5. With audible (and not distorted) output into the high 20’s (28-29). They will literally never be as good as a properly positioned and integrated sub down that low, but they do surprise in a pleasing way.

For setups that have a direct bypass (which typically bypasses all your bass management as well), this kind of authoritative performance can be very convenient. Easy to highpass with a sub or let them run wide open without.

post #4767 of 4885 Old 12-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I generally recommend grabbing the A2.4 for larger spaces or higher output. But, that’s not you.

Do you think you could snap a few pictures of your listening space?
Here they are. One is from the main listening position on the couch, the other is to the right, showing how the room opens to the kitchen on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B2DBACD-E2CF-4283-BC5F-258CE784DEE9.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2654364   Click image for larger version

Name:	EDD4408B-41E4-46F2-B8F5-0D7F005A19BA.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2654366  
BufordTJustice and rhelliott2 like this.

Scott Barnhart
post #4768 of 4885 Old 12-15-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3096 Post(s)
Liked: 2889
Plenty of room for play in your speaker depth. If they need to come out a foot from the wall, that is easily accomplished with the sub/cage bordering the two sides of the system.
sbarnhar and BufordTJustice like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #4769 of 4885 Old 12-15-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Here they are. One is from the main listening position on the couch, the other is to the right, showing how the room opens to the kitchen on the left.

The 2.4 would intersect the plane made by the top of the counter to the left of the system. If that doesn’t bother you, then either will work.

sbarnhar likes this.

post #4770 of 4885 Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Oh, and a new addition to the stable’s occurred. And it’s VERY good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page