**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8267Likes

post #5371 of 5423 Old 03-25-2020, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked: 3114
Maybe you two should look into this:

BufordTJustice and JimWilson like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5423 Old 03-25-2020, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Maybe you two should look into this:

I need a quote STAT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RayGuy and powerlifter405 like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #5373 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Patel View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to surround speakers and setup and I just started my setup on Monday night. So far I have two A2.4 for my L and R speakers, a HSU VTF2-MK5 sub and a Denon X2500H receiver. I have done the Audyssey setup with the included microphone and set the A2.4 speakers to small; the crossover is set to 80Hz for everything. I wanted to ask two things:

1) I feel like some dialogue and sound effects when watching some movies is underwhelming. I've been testing movies on Disney + such as some of the Star Wars movies and Cars. During those movies dialogue, some of the music and sound effects sound low or not impactful. It doesn't alway sound full. Is it just how those movies sound? Is there something I should change on the receiver?

2) I attached a picture of our media room to show the placement of the speakers and subwoofer. I don't have stands yet so I'm using stools to play around with positioning and later height. My main concern is the subwoofer and left speaker positioning. Is it okay to have the speaker in front of the subwoofer? Space is tight on the left side to put them side by side and have enough distance from the wall and A2.4. The width of the room as seen in the picture is 12ft. I'll be getting a third A2.4 in the next couple of days to use a center speaker.

Thanks in advance!
A couple of quick things. First, did you remember to rotate the tweeters for vertical use? Do not forget that! Next, I always think it's best to audition audio equipment with high quality music that you are very familiar with. I have a few SACDs that are my go to's. One is Dire Straits BIA. But, whatever you have that's musical and you know it well.

I can't see the entire room, but I'd suggest moving that sub somewhere else in the room so you can set the front stage set correctly, and symmetrical. Subs being less directional are much more forgiving with placement.

Next, you might try setting the A2.4's as large and cross at 60hz. Try setting the sub at full LFE. I think you will find that these A2.4s can provide some decent punch in the 60-80hz range, so don't short change yourself. Getting them back, closer to the wall, next to both sides of the cabinet will help a lot to bringing out the presence.

Start with that and see what you think. The center is going to help a lot. I have a A2.4 LCR with A1.5 surrounds at 5.1 with a PSA15VX on a Denon 4311ic. These Chanes are outstanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5374 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I'm new to surround speakers and setup and I just started my setup on Monday night. So far I have two A2.4 for my L and R speakers, a HSU VTF2-MK5 sub and a Denon X2500H receiver. I have done the Audyssey setup with the included microphone and set the A2.4 speakers to small; the crossover is set to 80Hz for everything. I wanted to ask two things:

1) I feel like some dialogue and sound effects when watching some movies is underwhelming. I've been testing movies on Disney + such as some of the Star Wars movies and Cars. During those movies dialogue, some of the music and sound effects sound low or not impactful. It doesn't alway sound full. Is it just how those movies sound? Is there something I should change on the receiver?

2) I attached a picture of our media room to show the placement of the speakers and subwoofer. I don't have stands yet so I'm using stools to play around with positioning and later height. My main concern is the subwoofer and left speaker positioning. Is it okay to have the speaker in front of the subwoofer? Space is tight on the left side to put them side by side and have enough distance from the wall and A2.4. The width of the room as seen in the picture is 12ft. I'll be getting a third A2.4 in the next couple of days to use a center speaker.

Thanks in advance!
A couple of quick things. First, did you remember to rotate the tweeters for vertical use? Do not forget that! Next, I always think it's best to audition audio equipment with high quality music that you are very familiar with. I have a few SACDs that are my go to's. One is Dire Straits BIA. But, whatever you have that's musical and you know it well.

I can't see the entire room, but I'd suggest moving that sub somewhere else in the room so you can set the front stage set correctly, and symmetrical. Subs being less directional are much more forgiving with placement.

Next, you might try setting the A2.4's as large and cross at 60hz. Try setting the sub at full LFE. I think you will find that these A2.4s can provide some decent punch in the 60-80hz range, so don't short change yourself. Getting them back, closer to the wall, next to both sides of the cabinet will help a lot to bringing out the presence.

Start with that and see what you think. The center is going to help a lot. I have a A2.4 LCR with A1.5 surrounds at 5.1 with a PSA15VX on a Denon 4311ic. These Chanes are outstanding.
I’m running 3 A2.4’s across my front & yes they are outstanding!! Couple of questions I have though, are you suggesting they be closer to front wall? My are about 40” from front wall. I had them toed to where they cross about a foot behind my listening position & after running Dirac my center image was gone. Everything seemed to lean toward the “left” speaker. I moved them back to where they are toed right at my listening position. Gonna rerun Dirac but wanted to know if you think they should be moved closer to wall?
Thanks bud!
Carmine.

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #5375 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

& by the way, talking about specific tracks to preview over the 2.4’s - Gold Dust Woman by Fleetwood Mac will give you chills!!!

NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #5376 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
I’m running 3 A2.4’s across my front & yes they are outstanding!! Couple of questions I have though, are you suggesting they be closer to front wall? My are about 40” from front wall. I had them toed to where they cross about a foot behind my listening position & after running Dirac my center image was gone. Everything seemed to lean toward the “left” speaker. I moved them back to where they are toed right at my listening position. Gonna rerun Dirac but wanted to know if you think they should be moved closer to wall?
Thanks bud!
Carmine.
I think it would be helpful to see a photo of your room and layout. I'm having a hard time imagining you having the TV and flanking L/R speakers floating 40" into the room? Something sounds odd.

I'm sure you've seen a traditional square/rectangular room set up. You try to position the TV against one wall with the L and R speakers on both sides approx 12" to 18" from the wall, obviously depending on the footprint of the speakers. Most center cabinets are 22" to 24" deep, so that kind of guides you.

Sounds to me, you might have the speakers a little too toed in, it that's a preference thing, and dependant on the dimensions of the room and the side to side width of the seating. Post a couple of pics and I'm sure you'll get alot of good feedback.

And yes, I have Rumors on DVD-A and it's another of my go to's.
post #5377 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Here’s a pic bud. Don’t mind the “sliders” under the stands lol, they aid in positioning!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD642249-80C5-4258-A601-BB655423A724_1585281385404.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2702126  

NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #5378 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

With the speakers toed further out my center image disappears.

NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #5379 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, so the length of that wall seems to be around 11 to 12 ft long, or there abouts. I'd suggest getting the speakers to the side of the cabinet, centered between wall and cabinet side to side, with the front foot of the stands level with the front of the cabinet. Then only toe them in about an inch. Then give that a try. I think you'll be surprised. Also, did you turn the tweeters?
Vergiliusm likes this.
post #5380 of 5423 Old 03-26-2020, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
OK, so the length of that wall seems to be around 11 to 12 ft long, or there abouts. I'd suggest getting the speakers to the side of the cabinet, centered between wall and cabinet side to side, with the front foot of the stands level with the front of the cabinet. Then only toe them in about an inch. Then give that a try. I think you'll be surprised. Also, did you turn the tweeters?
Ok bud I will definitely give that a shot tomorrow after work!! Yes, tweeters have been turned in the Left & Right speaker.
Thanks very much! I’ll follow up after I move them tomorrow.

NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #5381 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
Moved my stereo into my office while I am working from home, it's in a smaller space than before so I am really enjoying the extra bass response. Listening to Dark Side of the Moon on SACD this morning, the quality is really noticeably better than streaming QOBUZ over Airplay. Paid like $70 for this Oppo player and it's been a real gem, and the Chanes easily scale with better sources and components.

Currently hunting for a new preamp, but for now the Schiit SYS is fine.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Schiit SYS | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #5382 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Moved my stereo into my office while I am working from home, it's in a smaller space than before so I am really enjoying the extra bass response. Listening to Dark Side of the Moon on SACD this morning, the quality is really noticeably better than streaming QOBUZ over Airplay. Paid like $70 for this Oppo player and it's been a real gem, and the Chanes easily scale with better sources and components.

are your stands monoprice or something else?
post #5383 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereojunkie View Post
are your stands monoprice or something else?
Yeah they are the 24" Monoprice Monolith stands. Highly recommend them, they are well-made, sturdy, and can be filled with a weighted material.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Schiit SYS | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #5384 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

I looked at the Monoliths and they get a lot of great reviews, and are definitely a big thumbs up. I took a gamble on these for a less heavy look, and I was very pleasantly surprised how nice these are: Perlesmith Stands https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these for the rear A1.5's. For the A2.4's, I think the Monoliths would probably look better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71+4hr45n+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	2702284  
BufordTJustice and Squirrel! like this.
post #5385 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked at the Monoliths and they get a lot of great reviews, and are definitely a big thumbs up. I took a gamble on these for a less heavy look, and I was very pleasantly surprised how nice these are: Perlesmith Stands https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these for the rear A1.5's. For the A2.4's, I think the Monoliths would probably look better.
Those are nice and more elegant looking for sure. I liked the Monoliths to match the boxy look of the Chanes.
BufordTJustice and Squirrel! like this.

post #5386 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Those are nice and more elegant looking for sure. I liked the Monoliths to match the boxy look of the Chanes.
Yeah, they are both great stands. I don't like the fact with the Perlesmiths that you really can't fill the tubes for more weight. While they are very stable with the A1.5's, I think I would be more comfortable with the Monoliths for the A2.4's. Both excellent choices.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #5387 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread**

I grabbed a pair of Pangea DS400’s for some new goodies that are coming.

It seems to be the same thing as the monoprice stands (MP appears to have gotten access to the same OEM), but they were in stock when I ordered.

Agreed that their strongest point is being able to be filled with media.

I found a 50lb bag of dried silica sand that Amazon would ship to my door for cheap, so that’s what’s going inside my stand legs. I would have preferred a soft metal like Lead or Bismuth, but the non-toxic aspect of sand is nice during filling.

mrmagloo and Squirrel! like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #5388 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I grabbed a pair of Pangea DS400’s for some new goodies that are coming.

It seems to be the same thing as the monoprice stands (MP appears to have gotten access to the same OEM), but they were in stock when I ordered.

Agreed that their strongest point is being able to be filled with media.

I found a 50lb bag of dried silica sand that Amazon would ship to my door for cheap, so that’s what’s going inside my stand legs. I would have preferred a soft metal like Lead or Bismuth, but the non-toxic aspect of sand is nice during filling.

Hope you got two bags! Those things are voluminous (excuse the pun).

EDIT: Bwahahahaa, just saw this on Amazon customer review section:

Quote:
What an amazing set of stands. My niece and nephews come over from time to time and I don't have to worry about my speakers being knocked over anymore, they are incredibly stable. I also used Blu-Tak adhesive on the bottom of the feet of the speakers and they're nearly impossible to push off the stands. I filled the posts with sand, a 50 pound bag filled seven of the eight posts FYI, so they take about 30lbs per stand.
Time to go win the lottery!

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-27-2020 at 11:08 AM.
post #5389 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, those sure look to be identical. To Rays point, it's pretty amazing how much fill these take. Might be cheaper and easier, just to bolt them to the floor, LOL. j/k of course.
post #5390 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Hope you got two bags! Those things are voluminous (excuse the pun).

EDIT: Bwahahahaa, just saw this on Amazon customer review section:

Time to go win the lottery!

I may just use dirt. Lol!

post #5391 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I may just use dirt. Lol!

There must be some sand in Seattle, somewhere. Excuse to head to the beach!!

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-27-2020 at 12:17 PM.
post #5392 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
There must be some sand in Seattle, somewhere. Excuse to head to the beach!!

It’s not dry though.

post #5393 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course it's not dry, you keep dropping tears on it!

post #5394 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Enjoying an adult beverage, listening to Take Five, waiting for the wife unit to decide what movie we will watch. Love ain’t too bad, all things considered.

post #5395 of 5423 Old 03-27-2020, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Something that would fit nice for price and quality in your system would be the Emotiva PT-100, I've owned it and the TA-100 and they are both an insane value, my buddy stole the TA-100 from me and I had no use for the PT-100 so i sold it but I can vouch for them as being an outstanding value.

$299 - https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-...roducts/pt-100

BTW the A1.5 look great on those stands.

Found a couple of photos of the TA-100 I had, the PT-100 has all the same inputs just doesn't have the built in amplifier section.

Theater - Emotiva XMC-1 | D-Sonic M2-750-3 | Outlaw Model 7000x | Emotiva T1 (LCR) | UAC-8.2 rears | Mach 5 IXL-18's | NX6000D | Epson 3500 | DIY AT Spandex 100"
Desktop - Asgard 3 | HD58X | Airmotiv 5s

Last edited by creimes; 03-27-2020 at 09:10 PM.
post #5396 of 5423 Old 03-28-2020, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creimes View Post
Something that would fit nice for price and quality in your system would be the Emotiva PT-100, I've owned it and the TA-100 and they are both an insane value, my buddy stole the TA-100 from me and I had no use for the PT-100 so i sold it but I can vouch for them as being an outstanding value.

$299 - https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-...roducts/pt-100

BTW the A1.5 look great on those stands.

Found a couple of photos of the TA-100 I had, the PT-100 has all the same inputs just doesn't have the built in amplifier section.

I always forget about Emotiva! I need to look into the unit, seems like a lot of features for the money.
creimes likes this.

post #5397 of 5423 Old 03-28-2020, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

Yes, I rotated the tweeters for vertical use. The first couple of days I completely forgot to do that! I don't have any SACD's; any other suggestions on what to audition the speakers with?

I have attached some more pictures so you can see my room better. I received my 3rd A2.4 for use as a center speaker and placed in the entertainment cabinet below my TV for now. If I move the LR speakers back, should I plug the port. I think I remember reading that in the manual. I'll try the 60 Hz crossover, large setting, and full sub LFE setting as you suggested.

Not sure where to put the sub. Maybe I can put in front of the L speaker? HSU manual says put it in a corner or next to your seating position.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-1988.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2702704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1987.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2702706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1986.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2702708  
post #5398 of 5423 Old 03-28-2020, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Here’s a pic bud. Don’t mind the “sliders” under the stands lol, they aid in positioning!!
What type of stands do you have? Can you fill them with sand?
post #5399 of 5423 Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Here’️s a pic bud. Don’️t mind the “sliders” under the stands lol, they aid in positioning!!
What type of stands do you have? Can you fill them with sand?
These are 26” Sanus Steel stands. Honestly I’m not sure if there was a hole on top of the pole to fill with sand as they are pretty sturdy & I live alone with no fear of them getting knocked over.

NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #5400 of 5423 Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Rohan,

By the numbers:

1) Yeah, lots of movies are mastered in multichannel but then summed into stereo, either at the user end or the streaming service does this. Either way, it’s a common issue to encounter. I have seen it several times going to a 2.1 setup from a 5.1 setup. Some dialogue just sucks and there’s no mechanism to adjust the relative level of the center channel prior to being summed into the stereo mix. You can engage some global compression schemes (“dialogue enhancer 2000!!!” Et al), both those are very much a band aid and not a cure. And they tend to remove air and that sense of ambient space from soundtracks as well.

2) that’s actually fine, as long as you digitally time align them with your delay settings. No issues there though. I actually had the same thing going on at my old house in Florida and it sounded like a large, one-way system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page