**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9579Likes

post #6211 of 6354 Old 06-24-2020, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
Not sure, maybe it's because then I end up looking at them less?
Ah OK.
I thought it has some sort of sound reasoning for you. Certainly after Buford said for certain movies. In his case it seem to does have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6354 Old 06-24-2020, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The ghost center exists....listening to "most high" by page/plant...I had to do a double take during the sitar sound effects
Jon Lane and BufordTJustice like this.

State of Confusion
post #6213 of 6354 Old 06-24-2020, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 884
**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread**

My grilles are always off in all three in-house set-ups while system is on. To me just looks better
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6214 of 6354 Old 06-24-2020, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 692
My grilles are always on because my girlfriend tells me I like it better that way.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #6215 of 6354 Old 06-25-2020, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
My grilles are always on because my girlfriend tells me I like it better that way.
Good one
post #6216 of 6354 Old 06-25-2020, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
HAHA! My wife actually likes the look of the Klipsch grills off, but that's part of the design. Those are out in the living room and won't be changing. My Chanes are in the man-cave and as of yet she has refused to go in there; I think so isn't reminded how much money I spent on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Devil 666 View Post
The ghost center exists....listening to "most high" by page/plant...I had to do a double take during the sitar sound effects
I have also been pleasantly surprised here! Both the ghost center and the bass production. I haven't found that I'm really missing either speaker so far!
BufordTJustice and AlexLac like this.
post #6217 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
My A5.4s (with or without my sub) are fully capable of filling my 2300 cubic foot family room....which is also open to ~2600 more cubic feet of kitchen space! I'm not a loud volume guy most of the time (I max out at ~75% of my AVRs volume), but if I want it, it's available.

Actually, when I level-set the A1.5s (when comparing to the A5.4s), I was astounded at their ability to fill the space. So I think you'll be quite pleased with the A5.5s, with our without a center added.
What speakers did you have previously to compare the Chanes to? I'm also considering getting the same speaker setup as you have, vs going with the more expensive SVS Ultra series. Thoughts?
BufordTJustice and AlexLac like this.
post #6218 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebkacTX View Post
What speakers did you have previously to compare the Chanes to? I'm also considering getting the same speaker setup as you have, vs going with the more expensive SVS Ultra series. Thoughts?
I previously had Kenwood HTiB speakers, so nothing good for comparison. Thus, moving to the Chane 5.0 setup was a major upgrade.

This is why it was so important to me to research all options. I spent a good deal of time trying to audition various brands at Best Buy. I also spent a lot of time with the Crutchfield SpeakerCompare tool. I had originally targeted Elacs, then came to AVS and learned about ID speakers, and shifted over to Ascends. I was set to purchase those, then heard about Chane, and went about compiling all of the shoot-out/comparison threads (linked below in my signature).

Of course, there's no way of knowing if the Chanes are my preferred speaker, as I didn't audition any other brands in my home (the only way to tell for sure). But I'm always short on cash for this hobby and paying return shipping for a bunch of speakers wasn't appealing, nor was A/B-ing a bunch of speakers (which takes a lot of time to do properly). So I took a bit of a risk and went Chane based on all these other opinions, here on AVS and on other sites. And I have not been disappointed! After ~1 week of dialing in and breaking in and applying basic EQ, I realized I'd struck affordable gold. Other than the excellent sound quality and clarity of these speakers, that's what I like best - knowing I got something as good as or better than many other more-costly options.

Speaking of which, during my research I compiled a list of comparisons with most other brands. As far as SVS, I can say for sure the Chanes blow the SVS Primes away. The Ultras are a much tighter comparison...but the Ultras are much more expensive! SVS has great stuff, but to me it is severely overpriced (speakers, subs).

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
post #6219 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:

I’m absolutely loving your alias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pebkacTX and AlexLac like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #6220 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I previously had Kenwood HTiB speakers, so nothing good for comparison. Thus, moving to the Chane 5.0 setup was a major upgrade.

This is why it was so important to me to research all options. I spent a good deal of time trying to audition various brands at Best Buy. I also spent a lot of time with the Crutchfield SpeakerCompare tool. I had originally targeted Elacs, then came to AVS and learned about ID speakers, and shifted over to Ascends. I was set to purchase those, then heard about Chane, and went about compiling all of the shoot-out/comparison threads (linked below in my signature).

Of course, there's no way of knowing if the Chanes are my preferred speaker, as I didn't audition any other brands in my home (the only way to tell for sure). But I'm always short on cash for this hobby and paying return shipping for a bunch of speakers wasn't appealing, nor was A/B-ing a bunch of speakers (which takes a lot of time to do properly). So I took a bit of a risk and went Chane based on all these other opinions, here on AVS and on other sites. And I have not been disappointed! After ~1 week of dialing in and breaking in and applying basic EQ, I realized I'd struck affordable gold. Other than the excellent sound quality and clarity of these speakers, that's what I like best - knowing I got something as good as or better than many other more-costly options.

Speaking of which, during my research I compiled a list of comparisons with most other brands. As far as SVS, I can say for sure the Chanes blow the SVS Primes away. The Ultras are a much tighter comparison...but the Ultras are much more expensive! SVS has great stuff, but to me it is severely overpriced (speakers, subs).
Thank you. I really appreciate it. Do you plan on upgrading to the new series or see a reason to? How do the speakers handle movies and music in your mixed space?
post #6221 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I really appreciate it. Do you plan on upgrading to the new series or see a reason to? How do the speakers handle movies and music in your mixed space?
The Chane A Series in 5.0 is terrific and I plan to keep it in my family room for as long as they are still working. They handle movies wonderfully, and having everything timbre-matched in 5.0 is great - I cannot tell where one speaker stops and the other begins. The A1.5s as surround speakers are total overkill, but it's the kind of overkill I like. Sometimes I get a louder surround effect than usual (think action or horror films) and it can make me jump in my seat.

I usually listen to music in 2.1 mode, with the A5.4s, and they are...well, how can I say this without overselling them? They make me want to listen to more and more music. They even make me want to listen to music genres I don't care for, simply b/c they sound so great. I can't really describe it, but with synthwave, new age, and classical music (basically instrumental music) they're just fun to listen to, and CLEAN. They take it to another level when you add a vocalist. Sinatra/showtunes/broadway type music is unreal to me. The vocals are just velvety-smooth. Of course, pop and metal sound terrific. The only music that is lacking with the A5.4s is music that is poorly produced. In my signature thread I discuss the difference between a poor recording (Rust in Peace by Megadeth) vs. a remastered recording, and the difference is striking. The remaster even has sounds that seem to be coming from behind me in 2.0. It's a depth of soundstage that I've never heard before.

As far as upgrading to the new 700's or L's, that will be part of a new basement system build which will take place in the future (likely quite a while from now). It will be a more dedicated space, with better/proper speaker placement possible, unlike the family room. I plan to audition the L's, 700's, and probably the PSA horns and JTRs. It will be fun, but if I get there before 2030 I'll consider myself blessed.

The last piece of the current (family room) puzzle is upgrading my boomy and slow Klipsch sub to (likely) dual Chane subs. The Chane/Snell hybrid subs are set to debut any day now, and sell for cheap (limited run, limited supply), so I'm probably going dual subs for the first time. These subs are supposed to be musical/tight/punchy, so they'll have the biggest impact on music. But I suspect two of them will kill my Klipsch with regards to both output and extension to low-Hz.
pebkacTX and AlexLac like this.

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
post #6222 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Quote:
The Chane A Series in 5.0 is terrific and I plan to keep it in my family room for as long as they are still working. They handle movies wonderfully, and having everything timbre-matched in 5.0 is great - I cannot tell where one speaker stops and the other begins. The A1.5s as surround speakers are total overkill, but it's the kind of overkill I like. Sometimes I get a louder surround effect than usual (think action or horror films) and it can make me jump in my seat.

I usually listen to music in 2.1 mode, with the A5.4s, and they are...well, how can I say this without overselling them? They make me want to listen to more and more music. They even make me want to listen to music genres I don't care for, simply b/c they sound so great. I can't really describe it, but with synthwave, new age, and classical music (basically instrumental music) they're just fun to listen to, and CLEAN. They take it to another level when you add a vocalist. Sinatra/showtunes/broadway type music is unreal to me. The vocals are just velvety-smooth. Of course, pop and metal sound terrific. The only music that is lacking with the A5.4s is music that is poorly produced. In my signature thread I discuss the difference between a poor recording (Rust in Peace by Megadeth) vs. a remastered recording, and the difference is striking. The remaster even has sounds that seem to be coming from behind me in 2.0. It's a depth of soundstage that I've never heard before.

As far as upgrading to the new 700's or L's, that will be part of a new basement system build which will take place in the future (likely quite a while from now). It will be a more dedicated space, with better/proper speaker placement possible, unlike the family room. I plan to audition the L's, 700's, and probably the PSA horns and JTRs. It will be fun, but if I get there before 2030 I'll consider myself blessed.

The last piece of the current (family room) puzzle is upgrading my boomy and slow Klipsch sub to (likely) dual Chane subs. The Chane/Snell hybrid subs are set to debut any day now, and sell for cheap (limited run, limited supply), so I'm probably going dual subs for the first time. These subs are supposed to be musical/tight/punchy, so they'll have the biggest impact on music. But I suspect two of them will kill my Klipsch with regards to both output and extension to low-Hz.
The 1.5’s are the only ones I need to complete my 5.1 A series!!! Been super slow at work since the whole virus nonsense started but soon enough I’ll order a pair!! The 3 2.4’s I have as my fronts are INCREDIBLE!!!

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #6223 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
The 1.5’s are the only ones I need to complete my 5.1 A series!!! Been super slow at work since the whole virus nonsense started but soon enough I’ll order a pair!! The 3 2.4’s I have as my fronts are INCREDIBLE!!!
Yeah, but you're missing one thing - you need to replace that SVS sub with one of the new Chane/Snell subs! Only then will your training be complete...
AlexLac likes this.

post #6224 of 6354 Old 06-30-2020, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
The 1.5’️s are the only ones I need to complete my 5.1 A series!!! Been super slow at work since the whole virus nonsense started but soon enough I’️ll order a pair!! The 3 2.4’️s I have as my fronts are INCREDIBLE!!!
Yeah, but you're missing one thing - you need to replace that SVS sub with one of the new Chane/Snell subs! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] Only then will your training be complete...
LOL!!! I actually like this SVS that I have. Not at all saying the Chane/Snell isn’t better 😜😜
AlexLac likes this.

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #6225 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Yeah, but you're missing one thing - you need to replace that SVS sub with one of the new Chane/Snell subs! Only then will your training be complete...
Wait ....Jon has teamed up with Snell to make subs? I saw he's now producing subs but didn't know it was partnership??

**** if this is true I might have to land me a couple even though I have no idea where I put them since I have 18" JTR subs LOL
My son has 2 HSU subs maybe upgrade there?? Gosh dam "hobby" keeps spending my money

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #6226 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Wait ....Jon has teamed up with Snell to make subs? I saw he's now producing subs but didn't know it was partnership??

**** if this is true I might have to land me a couple even though I have no idea where I put them since I have 18" JTR subs LOL
My son has 2 HSU subs maybe upgrade there?? Gosh dam "hobby" keeps spending my money
We don't know the whole story (Jon will likely release more information when the subs are done and ready to sell/ship), but it seems he somehow got a hold of old Snell designs and components. He's selling black-box versions of the Snell Basis 150 and 300 (or rather, a 190 watt version of the 150) as well as a 550 watt version in addition, apparently at ridiculously low prices (we expect the 190 watt version to debut around $200). They're all 10" drivers and have a reputation for being tight/musical, but also powerful (think F3 of ~25 Hz for the 300-version, with ~107+ dB of max output). They won't hang with your JTR 18"er, but for those like me (with a boom-box 12"-type sub), they'll likely be a significant upgrade. Limited quantities, one-time offer, likely to start selling any day now.

There will be a 600 watt dual-opposed design, as well, but probably debuting a bit later.

For more info, read up on the Chane 2020 subwoofer forum HERE.

My take is that he was exploring tech and options and these became a possibility to build and sell through quickly. He says it's a reward for Chane customers.

Longer story: Jon is also developing at least one Chane sub with similar(?) tech and dimensions which will become a long-term sub. He's also working on larger subs but those are a long ways off.

Edit: Snell was acquired years ago and no longer makes these subs. You can find specs for the original Snell Basis 150 and 300 on the Chane sub forum.
BufordTJustice and rhelliott2 like this.

post #6227 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
We don't know the whole story (Jon will likely release more information when the subs are done and ready to sell/ship), but it seems he somehow got a hold of old Snell designs and components. He's selling black-box versions of the Snell Basis 150 and 300 (or rather, a 190 watt version of the 150) as well as a 550 watt version in addition, apparently at ridiculously low prices (we expect the 190 watt version to debut around $200). They're all 10" drivers and have a reputation for being tight/musical, but also powerful (think F3 of ~25 Hz for the 300-version, with ~107+ dB of max output). They won't hang with your JTR 18"er, but for those like me (with a boom-box 12"-type sub), they'll likely be a significant upgrade. Limited quantities, one-time offer, likely to start selling any day now.

There will be a 600 watt dual-opposed design, as well, but probably debuting a bit later.

For more info, read up on the Chane 2020 subwoofer forum HERE.

My take is that he was exploring tech and options and these became a possibility to build and sell through quickly. He says it's a reward for Chane customers.

Longer story: Jon is also developing at least one Chane sub with similar(?) tech and dimensions which will become a long-term sub. He's also working on larger subs but those are a long ways off.

Edit: Snell was acquired years ago and no longer makes these subs. You can find specs for the original Snell Basis 150 and 300 on the Chane sub forum.
Great info. Thanks for sharing. Last I checked a couple more subs never hurt anybody
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #6228 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Last I checked a couple more subs never hurt anybody
You mean, other than putting some additional strain on your marriage?
BufordTJustice, mpk1970 and jwskud like this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #6229 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
You mean, other than putting some additional strain on your marriage?
I got a big laugh out of this line! Good job.

Although, at only ~15" cubes, these Chane/Snell subs are allowing me to go dual subs for the first time ever. I don't think I could have pulled that off with a Rythmik FV18 or JTR 4000ULF! ha

post #6230 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 02:27 PM

SOOO.......
I've been told I have the patience of a saint. I can put up with horrible situations much longer than the average person, and not complain about it at all. I'm no stranger to long waits and various degrees of suffering.

HOWEVER!
I am very anxiously awaiting two things.

First, I've been checking Cross Spectrum Labs' website many, many times each and every day, trying to procure an individually-calibrated UMIK-1 (I'm willing to wait and spend a bit more to get one from them, instead of the batch-calibrated ones from miniDSP or Parts Express). I've been waiting since late April. They ran out and Covid messed up their supply chain with miniDSP. They just got some UMIKs in, but they still need to calibrate them. I was hoping to have one to play around with and measure my current sub's output prior to...

Second - the Chane subs! Jon hinted it's any day now, and I think that day should be tomorrow. I'm getting concerned that they'll finally become available and shipping will take place on my planned vacation time (last week of July).

Ok, rant over.

post #6231 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, rant over.
Here's my little rant... As much as I'm a big Chane fan, I can't help but notice that these subs were originally supposed to be available in February. Then April. Then in early May he tweeted "Also arriving in about a week is the 15" cube..."

Maybe he didn't mean that they'd be arriving on his website and available for sale in a week, but that's kind of how it came across.

We are now in July.

I realize that COVID happened, although Jon stated initially that his business was unaffected by it, but I think that changed later on. Or maybe other things happened that caused delays? So, this "any day now" has been going on long enough that I stopped paying attention to it. I'm sure those of you with a lot of patience will eventually be greatly rewarded with an excellent product. It's better to take longer and release a quality product than to rush to market just to have a lot of unhappy campers later on. If you don't mind waiting, it's better to wait than to receive a dud.

I was potentially considering getting the 190 as my new PC/desktop sub, but I want something with speaker level outputs and high pass filter, which this 190 sub does not have.
mpk1970 likes this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #6232 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Here's my little rant...
Well, it's not that bad. My "rant" was really meant in jest, after all. He said they'd come in first week of June, and they did. But then, being the perfectionist we all appreciate, he had to build them all as perfectly as possible, and test every single sub (400!), probably with a very small crew, if any. So I'm fully content to wait, as I trust the final product will be absolutely worth it.

Honestly, I'm just so happy to know about Chane and these subs, I could wait another few months.

I'm more annoyed by Cross Spectrum Labs, b/c they almost never even post an update! At least Jon keeps us up to speed. I'm expecting big things over the next 1.5 weeks!
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #6233 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup. It sounds like Jon has a lot of balls in the air right now. Getting them all to land safely is more important than quickly.
BufordTJustice and jwskud like this.

post #6234 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yup. It sounds like Jon has a lot of balls in the air right now. Getting them all to land safely is more important than quickly.
Yeah, we're talking about 4 sub models, plus the roll-out of the 700 and L-series, not to mention continued development of stuff like the A4.5 (hopefully) and development of longer-term subs and bigger subs. I don't know how many people Chane employs, but it's a ton to do, all in rapid succession.
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #6235 of 6354 Old 07-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 889
I don't mind waiting. Jon's products are Worth it.
post #6236 of 6354 Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
SOOO.......
I've been told I have the patience of a saint. I can put up with horrible situations much longer than the average person, and not complain about it at all. I'm no stranger to long waits and various degrees of suffering.

HOWEVER!
I am very anxiously awaiting two things.

First, I've been checking Cross Spectrum Labs' website many, many times each and every day, trying to procure an individually-calibrated UMIK-1 (I'm willing to wait and spend a bit more to get one from them, instead of the batch-calibrated ones from miniDSP or Parts Express). I've been waiting since late April. They ran out and Covid messed up their supply chain with miniDSP. They just got some UMIKs in, but they still need to calibrate them. I was hoping to have one to play around with and measure my current sub's output prior to...

Second - the Chane subs! Jon hinted it's any day now, and I think that day should be tomorrow. I'm getting concerned that they'll finally become available and shipping will take place on my planned vacation time (last week of July).

Ok, rant over.
SO... how desperate are you for a UMIK-1? I'd be willing to LOAN you mine until yours arrives. Calibration file is linked to S/N and should be downloadable from site.

Denon AVR-X3400H, Chane A5.4 LR, Chane A2.4 center, Polk RC85i in-wall side-surround, NHT Super One rear surround, SVS PB-12 NSD, HSU-VFT-1, LG OLED 55B6A
post #6237 of 6354 Old 07-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello all - I'm new to this site and have been in contact with Jon and he said you all might have some great insight for me. I'm putting together a 5.2.4 home theater system in my soon-to-be finished basement. I really like what I've heard and read about the Chane speakers, and Jon has been fantastic at answering my questions, so I am strongly considering using Chane products for this setup.

I'm thinking of a front sound stage of either 3 A2.4s or a pair of A5.5s to go with an A2.4 center. As for subs, I'm keeping my eye out for the Chane subs to be listed on the website and will hopefully pick up a couple of the 300 watt versions if I'm not too slow on the draw. Otherwise I'll likely go with a couple of SVS PB1000s or Monoliths.

What I'm struggling with is what speakers to use as rear surrounds as well as the height channels. I'm going to be able to use in-ceiling speakers for my 4 height speakers. As for rear surrounds I was hoping for something I could mount to the wall, and I just don't think the A1.5s would work. Any recommendations on decent speakers for these applications that fit nicely with the Chane A series front sound stage.

Thanks!

Last edited by Christopher Grecian; 07-02-2020 at 11:32 AM.
post #6238 of 6354 Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
SO... how desperate are you for a UMIK-1? I'd be willing to LOAN you mine until yours arrives. Calibration file is linked to S/N and should be downloadable from site.
Hey, thanks a lot for the offer, but I'm cool. I was really just being silly above. I could have ordered one 2 months ago from miniDSP or Parts Express, but I'm holding out for a Cross-Spectrum Labs version, so it's all self-inflicted. So far, they have new units, but they're still individually calibrating them (seems to be taking forever!); I expect they'll be on sale again in the next week or so.

The Chane subs aren't ready yet, anyway, so I'm in no rush. I just wish I didn't have to keep my eye on the websites all this time...

post #6239 of 6354 Old 07-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Grecian View Post
As for subs, I'm keeping my eye out for the Chane subs to be listed on the website and will hopefully pick up a couple of the 300 watt versions if I'm not too slow on the draw. Otherwise I'll likely go with a couple of SVS PB1000s or Monoliths.

What I'm struggling with is what speakers to use as rear surrounds as well as the height channels.
The Monolith 10 is a beast, but I'm hoping that, at $500, it is considerably more expensive than the Chane 300 will be! Fingers crossed. The SVS sub is also very good but (IMO) overpriced. Another option is the RSL Speedwoofer 10s. This guy did nice reviews of the
and
, then did a
. Personally, I'm holding out for the Chane prices and specs before I make up my mind. I'm anticipating the Chanes will offer comparable specs/benefits for a fraction of the cost of either (although I'm not holding out hope of matching the sub-20-Hz extension of the Monolith, which has the advantage of a much larger cabinet).

As far as heights, I can't help (but someone on here with experience in that realm will chime in). For rears, Jon has been working on the on-wall A4.5s for a long while, but no word on release or even development updates lately. Chane is worth the wait; Jon doesn't ever seem to rush anything, which is to our benefit in the long run! But some can't take the wait...

Honestly, for rears, my old Kenwood HTiB speakers (see below) are just fine. They're really just for ambient effects, so timbre matching and whatnot isn't vital.

post #6240 of 6354 Old 07-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Grecian View Post

I'm thinking of a front sound stage of either 3 A2.4s or a pair of A5.5s

. As for subs, I'm I'll likely go with a couple of SVS PB1000s or Monoliths.

What I'm struggling with is what speakers to use as rear surrounds as well as the height channels.

I would skip on the towers and go with three A2.4 or if you can wait longer, check out the new Chane 700 series. With the $$$ you save put that towards a bigger sub.

HSU VTF-2MK5

As for in-ceiling Atmos I would go with the RSLC34E

A1.5 will work great a side/ surround duty.
yanks1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page