**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7260Likes

post #1411 of 4706 Old 01-15-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Precisely why I went for 3 of the Chane center channels, the 3" leaf tweeter brings much more detail .
Also AMAZING reproduction of acoustic piano with these.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 4706 Old 01-15-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7269 Post(s)
Liked: 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfitzpatrick711 View Post
Hi All,

Currently I have the v2 Andrew Jones Pioneer set (two towers, center, and two bookshelves) paired with a Gamma 18 from Reaction Audio and am looking to upgrade the L/C/R. What I really dislike about my current system is the center speaker. I find dialogue is muffled and very boxy sounding. Also, it seems to really struggle with women's voices and higher frequencies. I'm thinking of taking the AJ towers and using them as surrounds and then adding two A5s and an A2. I have two questions:

1. Would this be a lateral move or do you think Chanes will be a big improvement? (I went from Klipsch 12 inch sub to the Gamma 18 - BIG IMPROVEMENT!)
2. Would using the AJ towers as surrounds work? They would be positioned in the corners of the room. Currently, the bookshelves are raised and the towers wouldn't be.
1. The Chane A2rx-c for your center would be a HUGE improvement just by itself. Keep in mind that 98% of the dialogue comes out of the CENTER channel, and 70-80% of most HT output comes out of the center channel. So you could easily upgrade ONLY the center and be much happier with it, even if you kept the Pioneer towers for you L/R. The AJ tweeters are praised for not being annoyingly bright like many cheap speakers, but they are also known for having quite a lot of treble roll-off which is why your dialogue sounds muffled and female voices especially sound bad.

2. You can use practically anything as surrounds, since they only do 10-15% of HT output on a good day. So yes, the AJ towers would be fine as surrounds, as would be $80/pair JBL Loft 40 speakers.

There are any number of much more competent center speakers you could upgrade to:

1. Chane A2rx-c
2. Ascend CMT-340SE
3. Hsu HC-1
4. BIC FH-6

Of those 4, the BIC would be the most bang for you buck, at just $130 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1DYBWM...cm_cr_rdp_perm
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-FH.../dp/B0015A8Y3E

They have high sensitivity so will be very easy to drive, the sealed design and less than 8" depth (I think it's 7") makes placement a breeze, and the multi-directional (meaning you can position it horizontally or vertically) horn tweeter is rolled off so that you don't get the screeching piercing treble that Klipsch horn tweeters are infamous for, but you do get all the nice voice clarity and huge soundstage of the horn technology. Solid build quality, although plain looks.

The nice thing about the BIC is that you can order them shipped free site to store so that you'll have the best no-hassle refund policy around in case you don't like them...basically, a no-risk proposition:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH6-LC...eaker/10298559
BufordTJustice and Madmax67 like this.
post #1413 of 4706 Old 01-15-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Hi All,

Currently I have the v2 Andrew Jones Pioneer set (two towers, center, and two bookshelves) paired with a Gamma 18 from Reaction Audio and am looking to upgrade the L/C/R. What I really dislike about my current system is the center speaker. I find dialogue is muffled and very boxy sounding. Also, it seems to really struggle with women's voices and higher frequencies. I'm thinking of taking the AJ towers and using them as surrounds and then adding two A5s and an A2. I have two questions:

1. Would this be a lateral move or do you think Chanes will be a big improvement? (I went from Klipsch 12 inch sub to the Gamma 18 - BIG IMPROVEMENT!)
2. Would using the AJ towers as surrounds work? They would be positioned in the corners of the room. Currently, the bookshelves are raised and the towers wouldn't be.

Thanks for any input!
Hell yes, it would be an improvement. Using the AJ towers as surround would be fine.
BufordTJustice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 4706 Old 01-15-2016, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for any input!
1 huge improvement

2 they'll work just fine as surrounds.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #1415 of 4706 Old 01-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgreen View Post
What sonic differences would it be with the port plugged on the center channel as opposed to running it in its normal ported setup?
I believe mine are 1st gen Arx speakers. Initially I was running everything large on my A5 towers & A1 C/surrounds. Almost 3 years later I began playing w/ the settings on my AVR and when it was all said and done we found that we like this the best:

A5 Towers: ~ 12-16" away from the wall slight toe in; AVR full/large setting. The toe in seems to enlarge the sound stage for us in our 40L/20w room. Also we sit 12 feet away from the center.

A1 center: Unfortunately we have it up against the wall. If we change our stands/shelving then the distance might change but it is what it is. AVR crossed at 110hz and the port plugged. On 3 movies we noticed running the center at full created muddy sound, ie the nuclear explosions in T2 and T5. And during TLOTR rise of the king/installment 3 when Frodo, Sam and Goluim were in the marsh and the undead king was on his dragon thing and when the wings flapped the sound again was muddy/strained. Running the C at between 100-110hz made T2 and T5 sound perfect. I can have my AVR cranked. I don't know what the SPL is but numerically the dial goes up to 80. I can have it at 65 and the upstairs shakes and rumbles well, things sound great. Pre-crossed the center bottomed out but now it's perfect. On TLOTR, every scene is perfect at that setup minus that one marsh/swamp scene. Plugging the center made things smooth out and is about as good as it gets. FWIW, I rewired and used one of the A5's as a center set as full/large, unplugged and it had no issue. If I had the room and money, w/o experiencing the new A2, I'd use A5's as all 5ch's. From my reading the newer A2 and I'd guess subsequent designs, the A2 will surpass previous center duties and will have very dynamic and clear vocals. Crossed properly I'm guessing it will be about as perfect as one could hope for. I wait patiently to see what the mid year brings.

A1 surrounds: I have these on wall mounts about 8-12" beyond MLP angled at the listener. The house was pre-wired and the walls are done so I'm limited to set up locations. They are run full/large and unported. When I run blu-ray in direct mode, my avr displays L/C/R, surrounds +LFE and the rears provide great sound. For blu-ray we like Direct and Neo6 depending on the movie.

We have no room treatments. The room serves double duty, exercise and HT. 25' of exercise space, treadmill, dumbbells, squat rack etc.. w/ rubber flooring and 15' is the HT area, 2 couches on carpet. This is in the basement on concrete subfloor and finished walls/ceilings.

This was more than you inquired but hopefully it will help. In the end, we plugged the center.
dago52, mlgreen and BufordTJustice like this.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
For sale = JTR 218HT captivator https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58490876
post #1416 of 4706 Old 01-16-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
1 huge improvement

2 they'll work just fine as surrounds.
Will the A2 provide more volume/sound at the same AVR level compared to the A1? Or is it just clearer?

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
For sale = JTR 218HT captivator https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58490876
post #1417 of 4706 Old 01-16-2016, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post
Will the A2 provide more volume/sound at the same AVR level compared to the A1? Or is it just clearer?
The A2 gets you more sound per watt. It will also be noticeably clearer at higher volumes.

I cross mine at 80hz with the port plugged. It can rip my face off without a hint of strain. The rear of my A2rx-c is about 14" from the back wall, which is a hollow dividing wall (and is very resonant).
powerlifter405 likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 01-16-2016 at 04:41 PM.
post #1418 of 4706 Old 01-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The A2 gets you more sound per watt. It will also be noticeably clearer at higher volumes.

I cross mine at 80hz with the port plugged. It can rip my face off without a hint of strain. The rear of my A2rx-c is about 14" from the back wall, which is a hollow dividing wall (and is very resonant).
Was it worth while $ wise?

If I'm hearing you correctly the A2rx-c is volume louder and still clearer at the same wattage/dial position?

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
post #1419 of 4706 Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm planning on buying the A2 first and if all goes well I'll pick up the A5s later down the road when my budget permits. Will post my impressions when I get everything set up. Thanks again and looking forward to hearing this speaker!
post #1420 of 4706 Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Was it worth while $ wise?

If I'm hearing you correctly the A2rx-c is volume louder and still clearer at the same wattage/dial position?
Yes, it was worthwhile for me. Watching action movies as loud as I want without having to ride the volume dial is worth the price of admission.

post #1421 of 4706 Old 01-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was worthwhile for me. Watching action movies as loud as I want without having to ride the volume dial is worth the price of admission.
Good to know. I'll have to save my pennies

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
post #1422 of 4706 Old 01-17-2016, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Good to know. I'll have to save my pennies
If anything, my HSU VTF-15h is the weak link. And, while there are certainly many higher power subs out there, it definitely isn't a lightweight in a space like mine.

post #1423 of 4706 Old 01-17-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I don't think I have ever seen HSU VTF-15h, weak link, and Lightweight in the same sentence.
post #1424 of 4706 Old 01-17-2016, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
I don't think I have ever seen HSU VTF-15h, weak link, and Lightweight in the same sentence.
In terms of bass, my listening area is a huge 24'x24' square with a 12' vaulted ceiling. Only a hollow, partial height dividing wall bisects the space. The other speakers reside in what is essentially a 15'x14' subdivision which comprises my actual listening position.

The HSU performs very well even when pushed extremely hard. It bottoms very softly and generally is very well composed.

But, yeah, the Chanes will play stupid loud if your amp has the beans.
Bertram31 and Madmax67 like this.

post #1425 of 4706 Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
In terms of bass, my listening area is a huge 24'x24' square with a 12' vaulted ceiling. Only a hollow, partial height dividing wall bisects the space. The other speakers reside in what is essentially a 15'x14' subdivision which comprises my actual listening position.

The HSU performs very well even when pushed extremely hard. It bottoms very softly and generally is very well composed.

But, yeah, the Chanes will play stupid loud if your amp has the beans.
Our actual basement area is approximately 52*35, our listening area is 90% walls 40x20. One end is open to the stairwell and the two bedrooms and utility room area are separated by sheetrock walls.

Your toughts on the Sr 120?

I originally had a Denon but it had clipping issues and would shut off. I then had a Sony but it sounded like [email protected] I stumbled across the SR 120 and it seemed to really wake up the speakers clarity was significantly improved. I've considered the new monoprice 7 channel amp or one of the outlaw amps.

Considering the specs on the s r 120 are supposed to be 120rms for the left, center & right channels i debate if I would gain much if anything unless I reached the 250 to 300 RMS range. Considering the price of the upgrade versus the cost of the Sr 120 I really debate if it would be worth it. If memory serves me correct I paid less than 400 as it was acquired during the Emotiva change up, and I was actually on the phone with a representative have and the quantity in stock were depleting. I believe I got the second to last one or close to it.

Last edited by powerlifter405; 01-18-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #1426 of 4706 Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Any word on if the shipment of the A5's & A3's made it to the states? I think they were due in late last week or early this week.

Thanks
post #1427 of 4706 Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dago52 View Post
Any word on if the shipment of the A5's & A3's made it to the states? I think they were due in late last week or early this week.
Today being a holiday, we'll be restocking starting tomorrow or Wednesday, and could be shipping to customers by Friday.

Chane Music & Cinema
Need advice? Avoid speculation; for solid referrals seek out real users.
post #1428 of 4706 Old 01-18-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
Today being a holiday, we'll be restocking starting tomorrow or Wednesday, and could be shipping to customers by Friday.
Jon, thanks for the update.
post #1429 of 4706 Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Our actual basement area is approximately 52*35, our listening area is 90% walls 40x20. One end is open to the stairwell and the two bedrooms and utility room area are separated by sheetrock walls.

Your toughts on the Sr 120?

I originally had a Denon but it had clipping issues and would shut off. I then had a Sony but it sounded like [email protected] I stumbled across the SR 120 and it seemed to really wake up the speakers clarity was significantly improved. I've considered the new monoprice 7 channel amp or one of the outlaw amps.

Considering the specs on the s r 120 are supposed to be 120rms for the left, center & right channels i debate if I would gain much if anything unless I reached the 250 to 300 RMS range. Considering the price of the upgrade versus the cost of the Sr 120 I really debate if it would be worth it. If memory serves me correct I paid less than 400 as it was acquired during the Emotiva change up, and I was actually on the phone with a representative have and the quantity in stock were depleting. I believe I got the second to last one or close to it.
The SR-120 is a solid unit and I'm not surprised that you're getting excellent service from it. But, like you, that monoprice amp did catch my eye.

post #1430 of 4706 Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
The SR-120 is a solid unit and I'm not surprised that you're getting excellent service from it. But, like you, that monoprice amp did catch my eye.
toys, toys, toys!!

Yeah we really like it. After it arrived I was in the basement getting things swapped over and as soon as I got it wired up, the wife asked me what I did different and she liked the new sound. Aside from an occasional hiccup w/ getting the audio signal from a new source it's been great. The SR120 and the Arx go well together.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
post #1431 of 4706 Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Just put in an order for an A2 and 2xA3's

Excited!
yanks1 likes this.
post #1432 of 4706 Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post

Excited!
Nice, I am waiting for my A5's & A2 to arrive any day now. I have a few concerts ready to break in the speakers.
post #1433 of 4706 Old 01-26-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Excited!
Quote:
Nice, I am waiting for my A5's & A2 to arrive any day now. I have a few concerts ready to break in the speakers.
Greatly appreciated, gentlemen. About a hundred speakers docked yesterday and will be feeding tracking numbers at any time. Thanks again!

Chane Music & Cinema
post #1434 of 4706 Old 01-26-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Incidentally, if the site flags "pre-order" for the A3rx-c and A5rx-c, ignore it. It's a temporary webcart gremlin that'll go away. They're in stock.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #1435 of 4706 Old 01-27-2016, 02:51 PM

Tracking number received and the wait is almost over. I will post my non-audiophile review after I get some time on them.
post #1436 of 4706 Old 02-01-2016, 01:20 PM

Talking

Look what arrived today!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1224073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1224081  
GusGus748s and BufordTJustice like this.
post #1437 of 4706 Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 823
**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)**

Awesome; enjoy & let us know

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #1438 of 4706 Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 PM

Ok, I want to give my initial thoughts of my experience with Chane. The order process was great and Jon Lane answered every question I threw at him, even on the weekend. I preordered the A5rx-c's & A2rx-c approximately mid to late December. I received the speakers today via Fedex and they packed very well. There were no signs of damage, so I proceeded to unbox the Chane's for inspection.

My current set up is a Sony STR DN-1010 AVR, Xbox One, Apple TV 4 & OTA HD antenna. My speakers that I am replacing are a set of Rocket Onix ELT's with a couple of EMP bipole surrounds. I am also running a 12" DIY sub to compliment the Chane's. I replaced the L/C/R with the Chane's A5rx-c's & A2rx-c. My first source of music was from the Apple TV. I played everything from the Eagles to Coldplay. After a bit of music, I played with my AVR settings. I ran the auto calibration, and it set the Chane's to large and it crossed the speakers to 120hz. I inserted the port plug, set them to small and change the crossover to 80hz per recommendation. The reason I chose this option is because The Chane's are close to the wall as I do not have room to let them breathe.

I couldn't believe the details that the Chane's were producing. All I can say is WOW!!! When my wife arrived home from work, she made the comment "they are some BIG speaker". We sat down and listen to a couple of sound tracks and she was amazed. I know they need some break in time and I plan to report back. I also plan to upgrade my receiver with the Yamaha 2050 or the Denon X4200w in the near future. I will also replace my front heights with some Chane's down the road.

In conclusion, I am very satisfied with my experience and purchase of Chane speakers. I need to let them break in to extend my review, but it is a huge upgrade in my case.

Thanks
post #1439 of 4706 Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Ok, I want to give my initial thoughts of my experience with Chane. The order process was great and Jon Lane answered every question I threw at him, even on the weekend. I preordered the A5rx-c's & A2rx-c approximately mid to late December. I received the speakers today via Fedex and they packed very well. There were no signs of damage, so I proceeded to unbox the Chane's for inspection.

My current set up is a Sony STR DN-1010 AVR, Xbox One, Apple TV 4 & OTA HD antenna. My speakers that I am replacing are a set of Rocket Onix ELT's with a couple of EMP bipole surrounds. I am also running a 12" DIY sub to compliment the Chane's. I replaced the L/C/R with the Chane's A5rx-c's & A2rx-c. My first source of music was from the Apple TV. I played everything from the Eagles to Coldplay. After a bit of music, I played with my AVR settings. I ran the auto calibration, and it set the Chane's to large and it crossed the speakers to 120hz. I inserted the port plug, set them to small and change the crossover to 80hz per recommendation. The reason I chose this option is because The Chane's are close to the wall as I do not have room to let them breathe.

I couldn't believe the details that the Chane's were producing. All I can say is WOW!!! When my wife arrived home from work, she made the comment "they are some BIG speaker". We sat down and listen to a couple of sound tracks and she was amazed. I know they need some break in time and I plan to report back. I also plan to upgrade my receiver with the Yamaha 2050 or the Denon X4200w in the near future. I will also replace my front heights with some Chane's down the road.

In conclusion, I am very satisfied with my experience and purchase of Chane speakers. I need to let them break in to extend my review, but it is a huge upgrade in my case.

Thanks
I get that having them close to the wall warrants the plug, but why does it change your setup to small and 80hz? Wouldn't small limit the woofers output on the A5's? Or do you have them running through a sub?

I ask because my A3's will be closer to the wall that desired as well and curious if that's something I should be doing. I had expected to leave them on full.

Last edited by Maverick0984; 02-02-2016 at 01:03 PM.
post #1440 of 4706 Old 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
I get that having them close to the wall warrants the plug, but why does it change your setup to small and 80hz? Wouldn't small limit the woofers output on the A5's? Or do you have them running through a sub?

I ask because my A3's will be closer to the wall that desired as well and curious if that's something I should be doing. I had expected to leave them on full.
HE changed the x-over setting to 80hz & small, because he is also running a 12" DIY sub in his setup.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page