**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7529Likes

post #2041 of 4883 Old 11-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Anyone running these Dayton's for heights or surrounds? I am looking to replace my front heights and add rear heights. I was hoping Chane would have launched something, but I need to complete my project.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-pair--300-651

Thanks

Denon X4400H
Chane's A5rx-c's Towers, Chane A2rx-c Center, Chane A1.4 Front Heights
EMP Bipoles Surrounds
Epson 2045 with 125" Elite Spectrum Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 4883 Old 11-16-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dago52 View Post
...for heights or surrounds?... I was hoping Chane would have launched something...
The Chane A1.4?...
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/lou...dspeakers/A1.4

MAIN SPEAKERS: (2) Chane A5rx-c. CENTER SPKR: (1) Chane A2.4. SURROUND SPKRS: (4) Chane A1.4.
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR706. MAIN AMP: ATI 1506. SUBS: (1) 15" DIY sealed box, (2) 18" Fi DIY IB. SUB AMP: Behringer EP4000. TV: plasma Panasonic TC-P55VT50. REMOTE: Harmony 700.
post #2043 of 4883 Old 11-16-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennds View Post
I thought about the A1.4's, but they are a little bulky & pricey for a height/ surround speaker. I don't think I would do the A1.4 any justice up high.

Thanks

Denon X4400H
EMP Bipoles Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 4883 Old 11-16-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
If very simple DIY is an option drop me a line...

Chane Music & Cinema
Need advice? Avoid speculation; for solid referrals seek out real users.
post #2045 of 4883 Old 11-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
I am all about DIY. I will send you a PM.

Thanks
BufordTJustice and Squirrel! like this.

Denon X4400H
EMP Bipoles Surrounds
post #2046 of 4883 Old 11-19-2016, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Jon,

I am thinking about ordering 3-2.4's and 2-1.4s for surrounds. I will be combining these with 2 SVS PB2000s with a Marantz sr7010. Do you think this will fill out nicely in a room thats 12x29 with 6.5 ft ceilings? (its an attic). Also I will definitely be ordering those sweet stands you have for the front LCR.
Does Chane have any plans to come out with a speaker like the SVS Prime elevation? I would be highly interested in this kind of speaker with the planar tweeter. I am building a 7.2.4 theater with projector. Looking for room filling chest thumping sound. You know the kind that got you arrested in college. Thoughts? or would you recommend Martin Logan Motion 2s as an effects speaker? Would it match? Sorry about all the questions. Inquiring minds wanna know and all that jazz
Ron

Last edited by vwgtiron; 11-19-2016 at 01:32 AM.
post #2047 of 4883 Old 11-19-2016, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtiron View Post
I am thinking about ordering 3-2.4's and 2-1.4s for surrounds. I will be combining these with 2 SVS PB2000s with a Marantz sr7010. Do you think this will fill out nicely in a room thats 12x29 with 6.5 ft ceilings? (its an attic). Also I will definitely be ordering those sweet stands you have for the front LCR.
Does Chane have any plans to come out with a speaker like the SVS Prime elevation? I would be highly interested in this kind of speaker with the planar tweeter. I am building a 7.2.4 theater with projector. Looking for room filling chest thumping sound. You know the kind that got you arrested in college. Thoughts? or would you recommend Martin Logan Motion 2s as an effects speaker? Would it match.
It's a fine system, and in that space will play at a big level.

One of the things we've not done a good job on is explaining the XBL^2 "SplitGap" woofer technology we use. This is an unusual, licensed, and expensive technology that as much as doubles linear output while halving distortion or more. This is not a small difference and it puts these models into a much different category than price and even size would otherwise indicate.

In an XBL^2 motor the driver's voice coil is shortened and placed instead into a very long gap structure. A copper ring separates this structure into an upper and a lower gap that the coil sweeps through.

Owing to the geometry of the magnetic fields across these twin gaps, the coil now experiences a much more linear field, especially at its extremes, and its extremes are far wider apart than the conventional motor's limits in nearly all other speakers.

The net effect of this XBL^2 "SplitGap" motor structure is vastly improved linearity and output combined with higher power handling. Out of tens of thousands of drivers since 2009 we've never experienced a burned coil or motor failure. As many users have commented in this thread, the models just plain play loud and clean.

(For example, an A2.4, with dual 5" midwoofers, has four times the linear displacement of any single 5" speaker. The A1.4 moves about as much air as a conventional double 5" speaker.)

These are not small differences and they tend to make size or price comparisons rather unfair. We intended to do something quite different in this field and XBL^2 (and a tweeter that had matching output) are what we chose.

The A2.4 in this case also offers the unique advantage of creating an especially linear soundstage. This is due to the way the model aligns and combines the outputs from all three drivers. Instead of suffering from the ills that many think all MTMs have, this MTM is significantly more linear, not less, across its sphere of directivity. That's why it also gets regarded for very good imaging when stood vertically and used as a stereo pair.

That's probably more than you needed, but the short answer is that with matched models at each location, you can expect a very enveloping sound.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #2048 of 4883 Old 11-19-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Incidentally, since we now offer just a few, we get asked a lot if we can bundle speakers into discounted systems. At the much higher cost of building these models the answer is no, we definitely cannot. Like pretty much all merchants over Black Friday season, we're experimenting with inventory balancing through the end of the year and if we offer a bundle it's for that purpose.

We cannot deliver these technologies and this crossover, cabinet, and tuning level and then write special prices for all combos - we think the value's already in there. When you see Big Box brands popping up at half price, now you know the rest of the story...

Chane Music & Cinema

Last edited by Jon Lane; 11-19-2016 at 05:29 AM.
post #2049 of 4883 Old 11-19-2016, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let me quote myself: We want to offer a really simple, really effective utility speaker next year. It happens to have extreme fidelity too, and can be used for nearly any surround, side, fill, effects, or even small main duty imaginable.

A variant on it can be put together by a reasonably talented DIYer so if you want to try a few, let me know privately. I only ask that the project remain private and not become a commercial offering. Ours will refine and improve on the concept, and if things line up, we'll offer it in 2017.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #2050 of 4883 Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Incidentally, since we now offer just a few, we get asked a lot if we can bundle speakers into discounted systems. At the much higher cost of building these models the answer is no, we definitely cannot. Like pretty much all merchants over Black Friday season, we're experimenting with inventory balancing through the end of the year and if we offer a bundle it's for that purpose.

We cannot deliver these technologies and this crossover, cabinet, and tuning level and then write special prices for all combos - we think the value's already in there. When you see Big Box brands popping up at half price, now you know the rest of the story...
I definitely understand the cost of hard work. I don't mind paying what something is worth. Thank you Jon. We'll talk soon. really appreciate the knowledge drop and you taking your time to explain why the Chane's are the speaker to goto. I'm also not scared of a little DIY until the correct solution comes along.
post #2051 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have any thoughts on how the chane A5 would compare to the Klipsch RP280?

Here's my dilemma...

I live in a townhouse and I'm hesitant to get a sub for fear of annoying the hell out of my neighbors. As such, I'm looking at towers for my L/R. I need them to handle both music and movies (hard rock, electronic, hip-hop) in equal measure.

There's far more content online about the RP280 (no surprise given how big of a company Klipsch is) and, by all accounts, people seem to like them. The "brightness" of the Klipsch horn seems to be toned down in the RP line. On the other hand, the (somewhat limited) feedback on the A5 has been nothing but positive.

I know the importance of hearing both for myself, but I am curious if anyone has either a) heard these two speakers or b) has an opinion on which would be best for my situation.

Room size is 12x12

Thank you!
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #2052 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_-_coffee View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on how the chane A5 would compare to the Klipsch RP280?

Here's my dilemma...

I live in a townhouse and I'm hesitant to get a sub for fear of annoying the hell out of my neighbors. As such, I'm looking at towers for my L/R. I need them to handle both music and movies (hard rock, electronic, hip-hop) in equal measure.

There's far more content online about the RP280 (no surprise given how big of a company Klipsch is) and, by all accounts, people seem to like them. The "brightness" of the Klipsch horn seems to be toned down in the RP line. On the other hand, the (somewhat limited) feedback on the A5 has been nothing but positive.

I know the importance of hearing both for myself, but I am curious if anyone has either a) heard these two speakers or b) has an opinion on which would be best for my situation.

Room size is 12x12

Thank you!
I've heard them both. PM me for more info if you're interested.
Squirrel! and Morames like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #2053 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I've heard them both. PM me for more info if you're interested.
Will do. Need to up my post count quickly
post #2054 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 61
HA! I'm in the same boat Black_-_Coffee. I was all set on the Chane speakers and ran into an installer with good prices who didn't want me to use the speakers subs I wanted. He says he, "doesn't make his money off of equipment," but it's clear he must make at least some of it this way because he's so firm on it. His equipment of choice for home theater is Klipsch and he's a big fan of the RP-280 home theater build out. I'm still getting Chanes. BufordTJustice has been a guiding light, a well informed, guiding light. It's always nice when someone who listens to a wide sampling of speakers finds ones they can really enjoy. So I'm sticking to my guns.
post #2055 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 03:24 PM

I'd like to thank Buford for his advice - extremely helpful and he's all but sold me on Chane. So, thank you!

In a room of my size, 12 x12, are the A5 overkill? I could either go A5 L/R with the A2 center. Or, 3x A2 across the front. I read prior posts how the A2 offers 95%ish of the soundstage the A5 does.

I will not be using a sub - at least for now. Trying my best to be considerate of my neighbors!

edit: then there's the forthcoming L7 - but I've no idea when that will be released, and if the A5 is overkill in my room, then the L7 will CERTAINLY be too much...
Squirrel! and Morames like this.
post #2056 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I will not be using a sub - at least for now. Trying my best to be considerate of my neighbors!
My mom is in the same situation as you with neighbors in a connected townhome. I set her up with the A2's (no sub) and it was the perfect balance of her room having palpable bass, but not so much that it intruded into the neighbors townhome. We watched the latest Star Wars movie and you could still feel the bass in her space. I think the larger A5's may have bled too much bass to the neighbors.
yanks1, Squirrel! and Madmax67 like this.

MAIN SPEAKERS: (2) Chane A5rx-c. CENTER SPKR: (1) Chane A2.4. SURROUND SPKRS: (4) Chane A1.4.
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR706. MAIN AMP: ATI 1506. SUBS: (1) 15" DIY sealed box, (2) 18" Fi DIY IB. SUB AMP: Behringer EP4000. TV: plasma Panasonic TC-P55VT50. REMOTE: Harmony 700.
post #2057 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2648
Quote:
I'd like to thank Buford for his advice - extremely helpful and he's all but sold me on Chane. So, thank you!
I just went from Klipsch to Chane and I don't regret a thing. They weren't the newer RP series but Klipsch is Klipsch.

Quote:
In a room of my size, 12 x12, are the A5 overkill? I could either go A5 L/R with the A2 center. Or, 3x A2 across the front. I read prior posts how the A2 offers 95%ish of the soundstage the A5 does.
I went back and forth and back and forth on this but the A2.4 wasn't available at the time( was between the A5's and the A3's.) Jon and Buford were invaluable with their insight and helpful descriptions and in the end I went with the currently discounted A5 towers over the A3's in a 13.6x10.5 room. I haven't regretted a thing and I ran them for weeks without my dual subwoofers enabled and missed them a lot less than I thought I would( these towers get loud and deep for a tower speaker.) My new A2.4 center speaker has me thinking what life would be like with 3 set vertically all across but I love my A5's too much to give them up. It would probably come down to being ok with speaker stands more than A5 over A2.4. Both are great speakers in the end. I love the new A2.4 waveguide and crossover though.

Quote:

edit: then there's the forthcoming L7 - but I've no idea when that will be released, and if the A5 is overkill in my room, then the L7 will CERTAINLY be too much...
If your never going to add a subwoofer I'd get the A5's. If a subwoofer or two are in your future I'd strongly consider 3 vertical A2.4 LCR's. My new A2.4 center speaker had me looking around the room for whomever was playing an instrument at the time. It images that well. If you'll ever be in a much larger room though the A5's additional drivers might be nice but you can't lose either way in my opinion. Sorry I can't decide for you.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #2058 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I just went from Klipsch to Chane and I don't regret a thing. They weren't the newer RP series but Klipsch is Klipsch.

I went back and forth and back and forth on this but the A2.4 wasn't available at the time( was between the A5's and the A3's.) Jon and Buford were invaluable with their insight and helpful descriptions and in the end I went with the currently discounted A5 towers over the A3's in a 13.6x10.5 room. I haven't regretted a thing and I ran them for weeks without my dual subwoofers enabled and missed them a lot less than I thought I would( these towers get loud and deep for a tower speaker.) My new A2.4 center speaker has me thinking what life would be like with 3 set vertically all across but I love my A5's too much to give them up. It would probably come down to being ok with speaker stands more than A5 over A2.4. Both are great speakers in the end. I love the new A2.4 waveguide and crossover though.

If your never going to add a subwoofer I'd get the A5's. If a subwoofer or two are in your future I'd strongly consider 3 vertical A2.4 LCR's. My new A2.4 center speaker had me looking around the room for whomever was playing an instrument at the time. It images that well. If you'll ever be in a much larger room though the A5's additional drivers might be nice but you can't lose either way in my opinion. Sorry I can't decide for you.
Thanks for the reply, very helpful! Out of curiosity, which Klipsch speakers did you have?

I'm leaning towards the 3x A2.4
post #2059 of 4883 Old 11-20-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, very helpful! Out of curiosity, which Klipsch speakers did you have?

I'm leaning towards the 3x A2.4
No problem. Happy to help. I had and still have the Klipsch R-26F's with a BIC PL28ll center channel speaker. Great for movies but so-so for music. I liked how dynamic sounding they were with action movies but after replacing them with my Chane's I realized some of the dynamic sound was more so the sound signature of the horned speaker and the Chane's are just as dynamic but more detailed and precise.

It's hard to explain but the planar tweeter combined with the high excursion drivers just brings out so much detail that I could never hear before with a horned speaker. Least that's my take on it and I still like my Klipsch's and still have BIC as my side surrounds but I won't have them as my main setup again. I wanted speakers I could buy and keep for the next ten plus years and now I've got them. That's a good feeling to have as I've changed my audio setup several times in the past few years chasing a certain sound. Well I finally caught it !

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #2060 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...the Chane's are just as dynamic but more detailed and precise.

It's hard to explain but the planar tweeter combined with the high excursion drivers just brings out so much detail that I could never hear before with a horned speaker.
That's reminiscent of the A5 report at Home Theater Shack as well as the follows-ups. I don't know exactly what to attribute it to but a combo of very intentional components and design. I've heard it myself every time this method is used going back 30 years...

Chane Music & Cinema
post #2061 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
That's reminiscent of the A5 report at Home Theater Shack as well as the follows-ups. I don't know exactly what to attribute it to but a combo of very intentional components and design. I've heard it myself every time this method is used going back 30 years...
Jon, I am not sure if it is just magic OR voodoo! Either way it works! My A2.4's are still sounding better and better. As mentioned previously, you really did hit a home-run with them! Thanks once again!

Cheers,

Phil
Squirrel! and Madmax67 like this.
post #2062 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@black_-_coffee -- for what it's worth, I thought I'd chime in. I went with a pair of A5s and an A2.4 center for what will be used in about a 20x20 room in a condo (I bold will be, as I'm currently dealing with new construction woes- when does the toil end!?). But! For the time being, my set up is in a room probably about the same size as yours. I've mentioned here in the past- my setup sounds beautiful and rewards well recorded music, the clarity and detail is truly astounding. The opposite couldn't be more true with poorly recorded music- what makes the Chanes so great with quality tunes, allows you to hear the fuzz and junk of your run of the mill YouTube videos and other poorly recorded tracks.

I haven't had the opportunity to play any movies or cable TV through them just yet, a limitation of the space they are in. I won't get that opportunity until my place is done, but I'm more than satisfied with what I'm hearing via my iTunes collection and I'm not concerned about their ability for home theater use whatsoever. Also, you can really crank these guys up and they never let down!

I'll also add, that strictly for me personally, I'd like a little more bass. I find that on hip hop / dubstep style music, that I'm looking for some more rumble and harder punch- so chances are I'll be adding a sub from PSA in the near future. Given you are trying to be a good neighbor (I'm sure mine will hate me) and won't be adding a sub, this probably won't be an issue for you!
post #2063 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I sometimes think maybe I'm just channeling that shootout review as I've read it many times but it happens over and over with different content( almost always music) that it's obviously your design and not my brain.😏
Jon Lane likes this.

post #2064 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...it happens over and over with different content (almost always music) that it's obviously your design and not my brain.😏
That's also a recurring phenomenon among users of effective gear: There's a consistency to the effect you're finding, and to the way we respond to it. It becomes involuntary. At some point we hear the recording and not the reproducer.

The trick with good audio is not what it does, but what it doesn't do.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #2065 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's also a recurring phenomenon among users of effective gear: There's a consistency to the effect you're finding, and to the way we respond to it. It becomes involuntary. At some point we hear the recording and not the reproducer.

The trick with good audio is not what it does, but what it doesn't do.
I'm starting to learn that exact thing.

post #2066 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
@black_-_coffee -- for what it's worth, I thought I'd chime in. I went with a pair of A5s and an A2.4 center for what will be used in about a 20x20 room in a condo (I bold will be, as I'm currently dealing with new construction woes- when does the toil end!?). But! For the time being, my set up is in a room probably about the same size as yours. I've mentioned here in the past- my setup sounds beautiful and rewards well recorded music, the clarity and detail is truly astounding. The opposite couldn't be more true with poorly recorded music- what makes the Chanes so great with quality tunes, allows you to hear the fuzz and junk of your run of the mill YouTube videos and other poorly recorded tracks.

I haven't had the opportunity to play any movies or cable TV through them just yet, a limitation of the space they are in. I won't get that opportunity until my place is done, but I'm more than satisfied with what I'm hearing via my iTunes collection and I'm not concerned about their ability for home theater use whatsoever. Also, you can really crank these guys up and they never let down!

I'll also add, that strictly for me personally, I'd like a little more bass. I find that on hip hop / dubstep style music, that I'm looking for some more rumble and harder punch- so chances are I'll be adding a sub from PSA in the near future. Given you are trying to be a good neighbor (I'm sure mine will hate me) and won't be adding a sub, this probably won't be an issue for you!
Thanks for the feedback! Very happy to hear you're enjoying your setup. Still torn between the 3x A2 or the A5s + A2 center.

Price wise (not including shipping), it's $877 for 3x As + the HIVI stands OR $1057 for the A5s + A2 center. Ultimately, the difference in price is not a factor for me since I plan to have these speakers for years to come. So close to finally being done with this whole process, and I have this one final decision to make...

Can someone just please make it for me? Kidding...kind of, not really.
post #2067 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I installed a new chase speaker system in my sons basement theater last week. pair of A5 towers A2.4 center A1.4 wides and A1.4 surrounds. They replaced a complete ascend acoustic set 340 lrc and 170 wides and surrounds. I was not really expecting a huge improvement. I was wrong. After a long break in period i ran Odyssey on his marantz 7009 receiver and we could not believe the difference. Combined with his existing hsu subs and good room treatments this system sounds spectacular. The detail they produce is incredible . My son was floored. I have a really good goldenear system in my basement theater ( see signature ) with much more expensive electronics and speakers and this system imo is very close in sound quality. Possibly even better in some areas.
I plan to bring my triton 5 towers to his house and compare them to the A5 towers. I am actually afraid of what i might hear. I will be awaiting the new chase speaker line when it arrives. I have not upgraded my speakers in almost 2 years now.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
Eulenvusion 130 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
post #2068 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
...Still torn between the 3x A2 or the A5s + A2 center.... Can someone just please make it for me? Kidding...kind of, not really.
If you have the money, buy the A5's. If you can use most of the bass without disturbing the neighbors, great. If it has too much bass that disturbs the neighbors, then the bass settings can be reduced in the AVR.
If you buy the A2's and it doesn't have enough bass, you will always question what the A5's would've sounded like. Also, there will probably be times that the neighbors will be away and you can unleash the full force of the A5's for a short time.
BufordTJustice and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by glennds; 11-21-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #2069 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Still torn between the 3x A2 or the A5s + A2 center.

Price wise (not including shipping), it's $877 for 3x As + the HIVI stands OR $1057 for the A5s + A2 center. Ultimately, the difference in price is not a factor for me since I plan to have these speakers for years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennds View Post
If you have the money, buy the A5's. If you can use most of the bass without disturbing the neighbors, great. If it has too much bass that disturbs the neighbors, then the bass settings can be reduced in the AVR.
If you buy the A2's and it doesn't have enough bass, you will always question what the A5's would've sounded like. Also, there will probably be times that the neighbors will be away and you can unleash the full force of the A5's for a short time.
Since the A2 and A5 use the same woofers, there is virtually no difference in their "F3", that low frequency limit below which the speaker gets softer as it descends further. The larger speaker - the A5 - will play louder if pressed, and it'll have a somewhat louder initial sensitivity - that volume level you first hear at any normal setting. All this owes to the third woofer in the cabinet.

However, neither of these differences mean the larger model plays deeper or that it must play louder anywhere, so I would like to point that out. There's no difference at all if you have concerned neighbors; you'll impress them equally as long as your volume control doesn't get away from you. And, as glennds notes, if this choice is going to be a long term solution the larger speaker may come in handy if you ever do need more sheer volume while they're in Bermuda.

Also, no stands are needed with the floor speaker, making setup easier and in that regard at least, less expensive.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #2070 of 4883 Old 11-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there any plans to redesign the A5s with wave guides? I'm sure this has been asked before.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page