**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7534Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2701 of 4885 Old 08-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Has anyone compared the A2.4 to any of the SEOS-based designs from DIY Sound Group? Being forced to downsize from my massive DIY 1099s, and was planning on something from the DIY HTM line, but ordering a completed product is tempting.
BufordTJustice likes this.
Chipless is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2702 of 4885 Old 08-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
h3ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
Yes to the planar and yes to not being rear-ported.
Is their any ETA on when these will be available?

Should I continue with my plan of using the A2.4 as my LCR set up and put a hold on ordering the A1.4 as my rears until we get a look at these new speakers?
mpk1970 and Roctopuss like this.
h3ro is offline  
post #2703 of 4885 Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,538
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roctopuss View Post

I do wonder about my specific setup, which out of necessity has the rears placed extremely close to us. Imagine a king size bed, with walls right up to the edge of the bed. The headboard is basically built into a nook measuring 3' deep, 6' wide and 6' tall. So the furthest away the rears can be placed is about 2' from each of our heads (RS is 2' from my head, LS is 2' from wife, baffles are about 5.5' apart).

These are turned down about 7db to blend with the fronts, which works great, but the problem is I mostly hear mine and the wife mostly hears hers. I'm wondering if we'd be better off with dipolar rears? I know they're mostly frowned upon these days but I'm wondering if my awkward setup might be one of the rare times when they'd be preferable?

?
Try re-orienting your rear speakers so that they point to the opposite side of the bed, i.e. her speaker points at you and your speaker points at her. That should help to make the sound more even ... experiment a bit with toe-in and vertical angle for best coverage.
BufordTJustice and Roctopuss like this.
RayGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2704 of 4885 Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Has anyone compared the A2.4 to any of the SEOS-based designs from DIY Sound Group? Being forced to downsize from my massive DIY 1099s, and was planning on something from the DIY HTM line, but ordering a completed product is tempting.
Being a big fan of high efficiency speakers, the answer is: it depends. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
post #2705 of 4885 Old 08-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Being a big fan of high efficiency speakers, the answer is: it depends. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Care to elaborate? I too am I big fan of high efficiency speakers. The A2.4 is very highly regarded, but I'm definitely curious as to how it would compare to say the HTM-6 or even HTM-10 from DIY, especially since the price is almost exactly the same.
BufordTJustice likes this.
Chipless is offline  
post #2706 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Care to elaborate? I too am I big fan of high efficiency speakers. The A2.4 is very highly regarded, but I'm definitely curious as to how it would compare to say the HTM-6 or even HTM-10 from DIY, especially since the price is almost exactly the same.
Well, I'm actually having some HE speakers built using some very high end Italian drivers (CD and HE midwoofers), and I've heard many HE DIY designs, though not those two.

The A2.4 is going to sound very similar until you get to very elevated output levels. However, I dare say that it will image much better and provide a much more accurate and cohesive soundstage.

What size room are you in?
What is your seating distance from the speakers?
What is your bass system like and what is your crossover point?
What are you going to be using to drive the speakers (AVR/Amp)?
What is "loud" to you in terms of dB at your MLP (main listening position)?

Let me know and I'll be better able to tell you if the A2.4 will suit your needs better than speakers which are, frankly, in a very different (read: larger) acoustical size class.

The A2.4's do indeed punch above their price and acoustical size class, but there are limits.
Jon Lane likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
post #2707 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Spoiler!


Thanks for the response. The speakers you are having built sound awesome, and I look forward to hearing your impressions. Here are the answers to your follow-up questions:

Here is a link to a blueprint of my listening room (LCR speakers will be placed on right-most wall). Here's a photo of that wall.
I will be sitting 10-11 feet back from the LCR channels, and they will be paired with two DSS 18" Subs. As a result, the crossover can be set wherever is best for the speakers since the subs have plenty of output from <20Hz to 200Hz (I typically prefer somewhere in the 80Hz to 100Hz region, but I'm not opposed to further expirementation).
My processor is an Emotiva XMC-1 and I plan to implement a custom Dirac curve since the results have been really good in the past. I'm in the process of selling my monoblock amps to save space, and I was planning on an ATI AT525NC amplifier (Hypex N-Core modules providing 200 watts per channel @ 8Ω), but I am open to suggestions if a particular amp is known to pair exceptionally well with the A2.4s. As far as loudness goes, I've never really measured what I consider to be loud, but just now I used an A-weighted SPL meter while listening to 2 channel music, and an average of 90db seemed loud, but still pleasing to me. It registered a 102db max (not the most scientific, but it's something). I would rarely choose to listen above that, but I do get aggressive every now and then

If I recall, Chane offers a 30 day demo period, but I don't want to send back a set of speakers if it's possible to determine they won't suit my needs through a little due diligence.

Thanks again for your input, and please let me know if I can provide any additional information.
BufordTJustice likes this.
Chipless is offline  
post #2708 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
xiaNaix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What stands are recommended for use with the A2.4? Would the Target Audio HS be a good choice?
BufordTJustice likes this.
xiaNaix is offline  
post #2709 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post

Thanks for the response. The speakers you are having built sound awesome, and I look forward to hearing your impressions. Here are the answers to your follow-up questions:

Here is a link to a blueprint of my listening room (LCR speakers will be placed on right-most wall). Here's a photo of that wall.
I will be sitting 10-11 feet back from the LCR channels, and they will be paired with two DSS 18" Subs. As a result, the crossover can be set wherever is best for the speakers since the subs have plenty of output from <20Hz to 200Hz (I typically prefer somewhere in the 80Hz to 100Hz region, but I'm not opposed to further expirementation).
My processor is an Emotiva XMC-1 and I plan to implement a custom Dirac curve since the results have been really good in the past. I'm in the process of selling my monoblock amps to save space, and I was planning on an ATI AT525NC amplifier (Hypex N-Core modules providing 200 watts per channel @ 8Ω), but I am open to suggestions if a particular amp is known to pair exceptionally well with the A2.4s. As far as loudness goes, I've never really measured what I consider to be loud, but just now I used an A-weighted SPL meter while listening to 2 channel music, and an average of 90db seemed loud, but still pleasing to me. It registered a 102db max (not the most scientific, but it's something). I would rarely choose to listen above that, but I do get aggressive every now and then

If I recall, Chane offers a 30 day demo period, but I don't want to send back a set of speakers if it's possible to determine they won't suit my needs through a little due diligence.

Thanks again for your input, and please let me know if I can provide any additional information.
Bro, you're the man! Great info and exactly what i needed to know.

A) Your room is just fine in terms of size and required output. Many have used the A2.4 in a larger room at much higher levels.
B) You're gonna love those subs if you don't have them already. And, as you correctly noted, you'll have great leeway in crossover point; there's almost no wrong answer if it measures well.
C) That ATI amp should be just fine. The A2.4's are definitely not picky WRT amps, however, they do provide an excellent "window" into your upstream gear. They will soak up a healthy amount of power (I use an Adcom GFA-5500, 200 watts x 2) and do benefit from a better amp. You're set.

My Blue Sky Designs Sat6D Studio monitors use amps with Hypex N-core architecture....I've been VERY pleased with the sound so far. They lack the grit/grain of most class-D amps I've heard before. They sound very class-A ish. Very refined. However, I'm using them in a mid/nearfield setup so I'm not stressing them that much.

Bottom line: the A2.4s would be more than adequate for your room.
Chipless and mpk1970 like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
post #2710 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post
What stands are recommended for use with the A2.4? Would the Target Audio HS be a good choice?
Those look fine or the Pangea DS400's ought to be fine. I wouldn't go any taller than 24" lest the tweeter be placed too high.

I would absolutely fill the column(s) of either stand with media. I find dry playground sand to work great...and it's cheap at Lowes or the Homeless Depot for a 50lb bag. Life hack: buy a friggin funnel.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS400
Madmax67 likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
post #2711 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
xiaNaix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Those look fine or the Pangea DS400's ought to be fine. I wouldn't go any taller than 24" lest the tweeter be placed too high.

I would absolutely fill the column(s) of either stand with media. I find dry playground sand to work great...and it's cheap at Lowes or the Homeless Depot for a 50lb bag. Life hack: buy a friggin funnel.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS400
Thanks! I like the look of the Pangea a little better. BTW, your nickname cracks me up every time I see it.
BufordTJustice likes this.
xiaNaix is offline  
post #2712 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post
Thanks! I like the look of the Pangea a little better. BTW, your nickname cracks me up every time I see it.
Thanks. Jackie Gleason was never better than when he was the oh-so-ignorant BTJ. The character was such a hilarious caricature that I fell in love with it the first time I saw Smokey and The Bandit.
xiaNaix and powerlifter405 like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
post #2713 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
Is their any ETA on when these will be available?

Should I continue with my plan of using the A2.4 as my LCR set up and put a hold on ordering the A1.4 as my rears until we get a look at these new speakers?
Depends? Can you hold off a year ?? Maybe longer?
If so, sit tight

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
mpk1970 is offline  
post #2714 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
h3ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Depends? Can you hold off a year ?? Maybe longer?
If so, sit tight
I won't be able to wait that long without my surround channels! Reading through your speaker challenge was how I arrived at using the Chane A2.4 as my LCR (I greatly appreciate your thread as most of the speakers in your shootout were the ones I was deciding between).

I read that you are currently using your set of A1.4 speakers as your surrounds, how do you like them? Did you keep the ports open?

My living room is 15'x14'x10' for a total of 2100sqft. with one open wall on the left side. Everything I've read about them leads me to believe I'll be ok with the A2.4 up front. My set up will be used for 40% movies/TV, 40% gaming and 20% music. I like to play 2 channel music through all channels and have found that quality surrounds add tremendously to gaming. Do you think the A1.4s will work well in this use?

For those with a A2.4 LCR with A1.4 surround set up, any subwoofer recommendations that work well with the Chanes? I'm trying to limit my sub to $800 and under. I will only have space for 1 sub due to the layout of the living room. We have hardwood floors and the sub will most likely be limited to being placed in the corners (rear right). My LCR will be close to the front walls, will closing the ports will effect the Subs?

Also, I'm sorry for the catchall post. This is my first proper surround set up that I'm putting together and there is just so much information I'm trying to parse through. I appreciate any and all help!
h3ro is offline  
post #2715 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Most here highly recommend looking at HSU and SVS sounds; also Outlaw & Rythmik. A few Good budget subs are Klipsch, Emotiva and RSL; good luck

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
yanks1 is offline  
post #2716 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
I won't be able to wait that long without my surround channels! Reading through your speaker challenge was how I arrived at using the Chane A2.4 as my LCR (I greatly appreciate your thread as most of the speakers in your shootout were the ones I was deciding between).

I read that you are currently using your set of A1.4 speakers as your surrounds, how do you like them? Did you keep the ports open?

My living room is 15'x14'x10' for a total of 2100sqft. with one open wall on the left side. Everything I've read about them leads me to believe I'll be ok with the A2.4 up front. My set up will be used for 40% movies/TV, 40% gaming and 20% music. I like to play 2 channel music through all channels and have found that quality surrounds add tremendously to gaming. Do you think the A1.4s will work well in this use?

For those with a A2.4 LCR with A1.4 surround set up, any subwoofer recommendations that work well with the Chanes? I'm trying to limit my sub to $800 and under. I will only have space for 1 sub due to the layout of the living room. We have hardwood floors and the sub will most likely be limited to being placed in the corners (rear right). My LCR will be close to the front walls, will closing the ports will effect the Subs?

Also, I'm sorry for the catchall post. This is my first proper surround set up that I'm putting together and there is just so much information I'm trying to parse through. I appreciate any and all help!
HSU sub
I have 2 of the HSU VTF2 MK5 which are awesome

I highly recommend the VTF3 MK5 which is $800

As far as the Chane's A1.4 as my rears, in all channel you can hear them but really tbh they being wasted as rears but the good thing is I plan to keep the rears for a long time.
They play an insignificant part of the overall music/HT experience.
Concentrate on LRC
Surrounds and rears for me just a luxury. Tad bit overrated.

Yes I have all ports open on all speakers.
Roctopuss likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
mpk1970 is offline  
post #2717 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,754
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7727 Post(s)
Liked: 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
For those with a A2.4 LCR with A1.4 surround set up, any subwoofer recommendations that work well with the Chanes? I'm trying to limit my sub to $800 and under. I will only have space for 1 sub due to the layout of the living room. We have hardwood floors and the sub will most likely be limited to being placed in the corners (rear right). My LCR will be close to the front walls, will closing the ports will effect the Subs?
Zero need to "match" the sub(s) to the speakers.

With your space and an $800 budget I'd look at the Hsu VTF-2 or 3:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
BufordTJustice likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #2718 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
Is their any ETA on when [a Chane surround model] will be available?

Should I continue with my plan of using the A2.4 as my LCR set up and put a hold on ordering the A1.4 as my rears until we get a look at these new speakers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Depends? Can you hold off a year ?? Maybe longer?
If so, sit tight
Please, no. Please don't let it be a year but the way things have been going, nothing would surprise me.

Seriously, in a normal world a few months should do it. It'd better.

Chane Music & Cinema
Need advice? Avoid speculation; for solid referrals seek out real users.
Jon Lane is offline  
post #2719 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
I won't be able to wait that long without my surround channels! Reading through your speaker challenge was how I arrived at using the Chane A2.4 as my LCR (I greatly appreciate your thread as most of the speakers in your shootout were the ones I was deciding between).

I read that you are currently using your set of A1.4 speakers as your surrounds, how do you like them? Did you keep the ports open?

My living room is 15'x14'x10' for a total of 2100sqft. with one open wall on the left side. Everything I've read about them leads me to believe I'll be ok with the A2.4 up front. My set up will be used for 40% movies/TV, 40% gaming and 20% music. I like to play 2 channel music through all channels and have found that quality surrounds add tremendously to gaming. Do you think the A1.4s will work well in this use?

For those with a A2.4 LCR with A1.4 surround set up, any subwoofer recommendations that work well with the Chanes? I'm trying to limit my sub to $800 and under. I will only have space for 1 sub due to the layout of the living room. We have hardwood floors and the sub will most likely be limited to being placed in the corners (rear right). My LCR will be close to the front walls, will closing the ports will effect the Subs?

Also, I'm sorry for the catchall post. This is my first proper surround set up that I'm putting together and there is just so much information I'm trying to parse through. I appreciate any and all help!


Check-in with Mark Seaton at Seaton Sound for a MFW-15 Turbo-SS. Tremendous sub, a bit of a hidden secret (unfortunately) IMHO. I've had it for a year and never once did I have any regrets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A-rab is offline  
post #2720 of 4885 Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
Please, no. Please don't let it be a year but the way things have been going, nothing would surprise me.

Seriously, in a normal world a few months should do it. It'd better.
Hmmm....is this a heads up Jon? Sooner rather than later for some new stuff?
BufordTJustice likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
mpk1970 is offline  
post #2721 of 4885 Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
h3ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Finally took the plunge and submitted my order for 3 A2.4s for my LCR and a set of A1.4s for the rears! Very excited to get these in the house and set up.

I know the A1.4s for the surrounds are overkill but I know I don't expect to be changing speakers anytime soon (at least 4-5 years hopefully) and don't want to look back and feel I didn't get quality surrounds to go with the fronts.

Next step is the subwoofer. I have a SB2000 here to audition from SVS but am feeling that an order from Hsu will be in my future.

I appreciate all the input and help from everyone in this thread.
h3ro is offline  
post #2722 of 4885 Old 08-10-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
Finally took the plunge and submitted my order for 3 A2.4s for my LCR and a set of A1.4s for the rears! Very excited to get these in the house and set up.

I know the A1.4s for the surrounds are overkill but I know I don't expect to be changing speakers anytime soon (at least 4-5 years hopefully) and don't want to look back and feel I didn't get quality surrounds to go with the fronts.

Next step is the subwoofer. I have a SB2000 here to audition from SVS but am feeling that an order from Hsu will be in my future.

I appreciate all the input and help from everyone in this thread.


Congrats on your new system! For subs, I'd consider RSL, PSA and Rythmik in addition to Hsu. Can't go wrong with any of them!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madmax67 likes this.
healthnut is offline  
post #2723 of 4885 Old 08-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Maverick0984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
Finally took the plunge and submitted my order for 3 A2.4s for my LCR and a set of A1.4s for the rears! Very excited to get these in the house and set up.

I know the A1.4s for the surrounds are overkill but I know I don't expect to be changing speakers anytime soon (at least 4-5 years hopefully) and don't want to look back and feel I didn't get quality surrounds to go with the fronts.

Next step is the subwoofer. I have a SB2000 here to audition from SVS but am feeling that an order from Hsu will be in my future.

I appreciate all the input and help from everyone in this thread.
I went with the PB-1000 for my setup since ported is better for movies, etc.

Plenty big for my space.

What disappoints you about the SB-2000? I find the PB-1000 to be more than enough to anger the family upstairs, hah.
BufordTJustice and leecreek like this.
Maverick0984 is offline  
post #2724 of 4885 Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
xiaNaix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Dumb question: Is it pronounced "Chain" or "Shane?"
BufordTJustice likes this.
xiaNaix is offline  
post #2725 of 4885 Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post
Dumb question: Is it pronounced "Chain" or "Shane?"
Not a dumb question. It's pronounced with a hard "Ch" like in charge or change or cherry.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
xiaNaix likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
post #2726 of 4885 Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oppland, Norway.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Woot woot! My A2.4's has arrived customs here in Norway, stoked already to unpack them
HevyDevy is offline  
post #2727 of 4885 Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oppland, Norway.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would two of these be a good amp for the A2.4's? Thinking i should get more wattage since my old yahama reciever has been lacking when i need that loud volume DIY has become more interesting lately and would like to get the most out of my money, amps are expensive here, and for the price and simplicity of the build it looks good. So just want your guy's opinion on it.

Can't post links yet but the amp is (NC400 mono kit)


Cheers,

Orjan.
BufordTJustice likes this.
HevyDevy is offline  
post #2728 of 4885 Old 08-11-2017, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by HevyDevy View Post
Would two of these be a good amp for the A2.4's? Thinking i should get more wattage since my old yahama reciever has been lacking when i need that loud volume DIY has become more interesting lately and would like to get the most out of my money, amps are expensive here, and for the price and simplicity of the build it looks good. So just want your guy's opinion on it.

Can't post links yet but the amp is (NC400 mono kit)


Cheers,

Orjan.
Lol. They would be excellent.

Not sure which power supply comes with the kit (if any), but the N-Core stuff tends to prefer a power supply with about 50% more current capability than the amp. So, if an amp modules Max current output is 400 watts at 4 ohms, you want a 600 watt power supply. As long as it's not too much for the rails, even doubling the wattage for the power supply wouldn't be a bad thing.

My studio monitors (Blue Sky Sat6D's) use Hypex N-CORE amps (450 watts each) and they LOVE current. I believe they have 650 watt capable supplies for each amp.



Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
HevyDevy likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
post #2729 of 4885 Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oppland, Norway.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Lol. They would be excellent.

Not sure which power supply comes with the kit (if any), but the N-Core stuff tends to prefer a power supply with about 50% more current capability than the amp. So, if an amp modules Max current output is 400 watts at 4 ohms, you want a 600 watt power supply. As long as it's not too much for the rails, even doubling the wattage for the power supply wouldn't be a bad thing.

My studio monitors (Blue Sky Sat6D's) use Hypex N-CORE amps (450 watts each) and they LOVE current. I believe they have 650 watt capable supplies for each amp.



Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Sounds promising, since buying my first proper amp i know its something i will have for a long time!

This is what the kit contains:


This kit contains:
- Hypex DIY mono case
- NC400
- SMPS600
- Power connector euro fused (incl. 5 AT fuses)
- Switch on-off
- Binding post clear
- Signal cable with XLR female chassis
- Internal speaker wires
- Internal mains wires
- Protective earth cable
- All needed bolts

I believe that is 600watt power supply.
BufordTJustice likes this.
HevyDevy is offline  
post #2730 of 4885 Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by HevyDevy View Post
Sounds promising, since buying my first proper amp i know its something i will have for a long time!

This is what the kit contains:


This kit contains:
- Hypex DIY mono case
- NC400
- SMPS600
- Power connector euro fused (incl. 5 AT fuses)
- Switch on-off
- Binding post clear
- Signal cable with XLR female chassis
- Internal speaker wires
- Internal mains wires
- Protective earth cable
- All needed bolts

I believe that is 600watt power supply.
I just checked and it appears to be. You should be good.

These XBL2/SplitGap motors and magnetic planar tweeters seem to love current capability, though they certainly don't require it.

I'm kinda excited to hear your impressions when you get everything up and running.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
HevyDevy likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
BufordTJustice is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off