post #3091 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
So do you have to see rather than hear a difference? Are you claiming that all amps sound the same as long as they measure flat? I don’t need a double blind test to tell me my ears hear a difference. I can only speak from experience, not what folks claim without empirical evidence or referring to charts and measurements. Yes, using charts and measurements has its place and is a good first start to the process of selecting equipment for your setup, but ultimately your ears will decide what you buy and keep, or sell and buy something else.
But you do need to test amps blind because humans have too many biases when it comes to making sound decisions with audio equipment, not to mention our audible memory is very short so unless you're switching back and forth between amps in a few seconds or less, you can't make an accurate comparison.

I mentioned measurements because all an amplifier is doing is amplifying a low voltage signal from the pre-amp to your speakers, they are all ruler flat and they should be, they shouldn't be adding or subtracting anything from the original signal. All you need to do when choosing an amp or receiver is ensure it has enough power for your listening levels with some added headroom, for speakers like the LS50 it needs to be able to handle 4 ohm loads.

I'm just trying to save people money when questions like this are asked, too many people make comments like "these speakers really open up with more power" or that they need a ton of power to sound good and it really makes zero sense considering your listening levels have nothing to do with how much amplifier power you have available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The Difference in sound has more to do with the pre-amp/processor than actual amp itself.
Totally agree, it may seem hypocritical that I use a Pre-amp and power amp but that's only because I wanted a Processor that can do 4th order slopes with Parametric EQ, those things make a difference in sound quality because it's making it easier to blend my subs with the mains and the EQ alters the signal but with the same slopes and no EQ I don't notice any difference between my amp and my previous Denon.
spacecowboy and tr4a like this.
post #3093 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Saw them on sale few days ago and pulled the trigger. Received these babies few days ago. I upgraded from a pair of B&W 685 hooked to an old Onkyo AVR. I am still playing with different settings but overall I am in awe of SQ
Glad you like them! You may find they are overall smoother and much more detailed than the 685's.

I hope you try them with a lot less toe-in, at some point. You may be pleasantly surprised at how that gives the soundstage more width from a near-field setup like that, but also considerably more depth and scale.

I'm curious, so what the heck is that round basket-weaved thing under the desk and where do you put your legs if it's there?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked: 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
But you do need to test amps blind because humans have too many biases when it comes to making sound decisions with audio equipment, not to mention our audible memory is very short so unless you're switching back and forth between amps in a few seconds or less, you can't make an accurate comparison.

I mentioned measurements because all an amplifier is doing is amplifying a low voltage signal from the pre-amp to your speakers, they are all ruler flat and they should be, they shouldn't be adding or subtracting anything from the original signal. All you need to do when choosing an amp or receiver is ensure it has enough power for your listening levels with some added headroom, for speakers like the LS50 it needs to be able to handle 4 ohm loads.

I'm just trying to save people money when questions like this are asked, too many people make comments like "these speakers really open up with more power" or that they need a ton of power to sound good and it really makes zero sense considering your listening levels have nothing to do with how much amplifier power you have available.
While the sound characteristics haven't changed, adding the amp did improve the bass, cleaned up the mids and better overall dynamics. So yes, it does feel like the speakers opened up more. The changes aren't dramatic, but noticeable.
jima4a likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3095 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I really enjoy my LS50's with dual Rythmik L12 subs, whether it be HT or music, sounds great. Even in comparison to a much bigger speaker system: KEF LS50 (David) Versus JBL 4722 Cinema (Goliath) Speaker Comparison with Binaural Recordings.

Of course, there is an SPL limit with the LS50's, but I have run them with as little as 8 watt Class A kits and as much as Crown XLS 1502. The former sounding more tube like with looser bass and the latter with very tight bass and won't run out of headroom

The LS50's are an incredibly well engineered loudspeaker in my opinion and I have reviewed others much more costly like the Kii THREE's and Dutch and Dutch 8c. For the money, the LS50's represent a real audiophile value.

Have fun!
post #3096 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Glad you like them! You may find they are overall smoother and much more detailed than the 685's.

I hope you try them with a lot less toe-in, at some point. You may be pleasantly surprised at how that gives the soundstage more width from a near-field setup like that, but also considerably more depth and scale.
I will definitely try your suggestion.

Quote:
I'm curious, so what the heck is that round basket-weaved thing under the desk and where do you put your legs if it's there?
lol. It's a Ikea SANDARED Pouffe. I use it as an ottoman when watching video.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30363966/
KenM10759 likes this.

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #3097 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
They're starting to open up now and almost have the center image I had with the Q100's. They're definitely smoother and bring out the details more. Imaging is also improved. No issues with bass on my end.

I also have the Denon 3400H and I was wondering the exact same thing you were. Would a better quality 2 channel amp make a noticeable improvement?

I did a simple test to see how much of an influence an amp may have on the LS50's. I dragged out my old Yamaha RX-V661 AVR (90 watts). This amp is about 12 years old. I purchased a AB speaker switch (rated for 200 watts). I connected the switch so I could instantly switch between the amps. I normally use a KEF Kube 8 subwoofer with the Denon, but for the test no sub was used. At my typical listening level of between 70-80dB I couldn't detect a difference. The 2 amps were identical. I was surprised, as I expected the Denon to sound better.

I posted the results of my little test in the KEF Owners thread here and the consensus was the same as here - at less than 80dB there will be little difference between amps.

By the way - have you tried using the Denon HEOS app to play hi-res digital files? I was using a digital streamer that was connected to the Denon via the optical input, so hi-res files like DSD were being down-sampled to 48 or 96kHz. I made the erroneous assumption that the LS50's and Denon setup wouldn't be able to discern the difference. Boy, was I wrong. I was playing around and queued up some 2.8MHz DSD files in the HEOS app and - wow! Boy, did that make a difference. I immediately noticed a fuller sound stage, with more detail. I looked at the manual (yeah, I know RTFM) and HEOS supports up to 5.6MHz DSD files. I've gained a whole new respect for the HEOS app and the LS50's.

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c, KEF R50

Last edited by tpro8; 07-27-2019 at 04:09 PM.
post #3098 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post
I did a simple test to see how much of an influence an amp may have on the LS50's. I dragged out my old Yamaha RX-V661 AVR (90 watts). This amp is about 12 years old. I purchased a AB speaker switch (rated for 200 watts). I connected the switch so I could instantly switch between the amps. I normally use a KEF Kube 8 subwoofer with the Denon, but for the test no sub was used. At my typical listening level of between 70-80dB I couldn't detect a difference. The 2 amps were identical. I was surprised, as I expected the Denon to sound better.

I posted the results of my little test in the KEF Owners thread here and the consensus was the same as here - at less than 80dB there will be little difference between amps.
Had you tried something like a Parasound A21 for the comparison I suspect you would have noticed a difference. I'm not sure you can generalize far from your test.
post #3099 of 3192 Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Had you tried something like a Parasound A21 for the comparison I suspect you would have noticed a difference. I'm not sure you can generalize far from your test.
Ah, that's a good point. I don't have access to a nice modern amp to try this test with. So, it's a bit of a dilemma.

I've been considering taking up some manufacturers offer of trying out their products with the option to return if not satisfied (i.e. PS Audio, Schiit, etc).

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c, KEF R50
post #3100 of 3192 Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post
I also have the Denon 3400H and I was wondering the exact same thing you were. Would a better quality 2 channel amp make a noticeable improvement?

By the way - have you tried using the Denon HEOS app to play hi-res digital files? I was using a digital streamer that was connected to the Denon via the optical input, so hi-res files like DSD were being down-sampled to 48 or 96kHz. I made the erroneous assumption that the LS50's and Denon setup wouldn't be able to discern the difference. Boy, was I wrong. I was playing around and queued up some 2.8MHz DSD files in the HEOS app and - wow! Boy, did that make a difference. I immediately noticed a fuller sound stage, with more detail. I looked at the manual (yeah, I know RTFM) and HEOS supports up to 5.6MHz DSD files. I've gained a whole new respect for the HEOS app and the LS50's.
You used 2 comparable AVR's for testing so results wouldn't be very different. By adding a more robust NAD amplifier (comparable specs to Parasound A23) I do notice a difference.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3101 of 3192 Old 07-29-2019, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I tried to bid on a pair of Racing Reds on ebay, but lost the bid in the last 2 seconds.

So I ordered a pair of the Black Edition from Amazon. They arrive Wednesday and I'm interested to see how they sound on my Integra AVR (DTS 40.2)

Current plan is to drop from 7.1 to 5.1 and run the LS50s on the L/R Channel and Q100s on the center and surrounds (I have 3)

The AVR has pre-outs so it wouldn't be too hard to add a dedicated amp at some point.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #3102 of 3192 Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTap1911 View Post
Well, I tried to bid on a pair of Racing Reds on ebay, but lost the bid in the last 2 seconds.

So I ordered a pair of the Black Edition from Amazon. They arrive Wednesday and I'm interested to see how they sound on my Integra AVR (DTS 40.2)

Current plan is to drop from 7.1 to 5.1 and run the LS50s on the L/R Channel and Q100s on the center and surrounds (I have 3)

The AVR has pre-outs so it wouldn't be too hard to add a dedicated amp at some point.
Nice plan. You'll probably want to upgrade the center first, before adding a preout amp. Do you live in the states, A4L has recertified LS50 Black cheap, no tax. May be worth a look if Amazon hasnt shipped yet. I know some prefer new but wanted to mention it.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
KenM10759 likes this.
post #3103 of 3192 Old 07-29-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I used to buy a fair amount of tooling for my machine shop on eBay and learned pretty quickly that almost everyone "snipes" by waiting until the last couple seconds of an auction to enter their 'highest I'm willing to pay' amount. Most use an app, I started doing it manually and was pretty successful. These days, I prefer to just find a fair price with a "Buy It Now" option. If I do find an auction of something I want but without that BIN option, I revert to that sniping and make NO bids until that only one in the last seconds.

Good luck with the Black Edition, they're pretty sweet too. Your Integra DTS 40.2 should be fine. What had you been running as mains and which center are you using?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #3104 of 3192 Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohippo View Post
Nice plan. You'll probably want to upgrade the center first, before adding a preout amp. Do you live in the states, A4L has recertified LS50 Black cheap, no tax. May be worth a look if Amazon hasnt shipped yet. I know some prefer new but wanted to mention it.

Until the sale ends (3-Aug) A4L isn't particularly compelling although the single/center version is reasonably priced.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #3105 of 3192 Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Until the sale ends (3-Aug) A4L isn't particularly compelling although the single/center version is reasonably priced.
Call me cheap but $100 plus sales tax savings would be compelling for me.

post #3106 of 3192 Old 07-29-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohippo View Post

The single/center LS50s on A4L are usually the gloss black with the rose gold driver.

I've seen black edition singles for sale a few times from individuals.

Quote:
I used to buy a fair amount of tooling for my machine shop on eBay and learned pretty quickly that almost everyone "snipes" by waiting until the last couple seconds of an auction to enter their 'highest I'm willing to pay' amount. Most use an app, I started doing it manually and was pretty successful. These days, I prefer to just find a fair price with a "Buy It Now" option. If I do find an auction of something I want but without that BIN option, I revert to that sniping and make NO bids until that only one in the last seconds.

Good luck with the Black Edition, they're pretty sweet too. Your Integra DTS 40.2 should be fine. What had you been running as mains and which center are you using?

I had bid the most I was willing to pay - even though I think the red would look good in my aqua painted office, I think all black is a better long term solution.

Right now, I'm running Q100s as L/C/R and JBL Arena B15s as side and rear surrounds. This system is in my home office and the surround sound is used exclusively for gaming.

I'm finding a lot of newer games have poor surround support and I've been mostly using headphones this year so while I may keep the surround up for a while, long term it seems like a nice 2.1 system with some quality components might be a better solution. I may change my mind, who knows. PC Surround sound is amazing and incredibly immersive when it's working right but the Texas summer is such that I run a portable A/C unit in here for 4 months out of the year and nothing wrecks room acoustics like a fan and compressor...

I appreciate the vote of confidence on the Integra - it's been a great unit, but it seems like conventional wisdom is to feed these things with a real amp.
post #3107 of 3192 Old 07-29-2019, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was tempted to bid on the racing red LS50s, because my wife is so enamored with the racing reds we have, but we already have 6 LS50s and a pair of Ref 1s.
post #3108 of 3192 Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The single/center LS50s on A4L are usually the gloss black with the rose gold driver.

I've seen black edition singles for sale a few times from individuals.

I had bid the most I was willing to pay - even though I think the red would look good in my aqua painted office, I think all black is a better long term solution.

Right now, I'm running Q100s as L/C/R and JBL Arena B15s as side and rear surrounds. This system is in my home office and the surround sound is used exclusively for gaming.

I'm finding a lot of newer games have poor surround support and I've been mostly using headphones this year so while I may keep the surround up for a while, long term it seems like a nice 2.1 system with some quality components might be a better solution. I may change my mind, who knows. PC Surround sound is amazing and incredibly immersive when it's working right but the Texas summer is such that I run a portable A/C unit in here for 4 months out of the year and nothing wrecks room acoustics like a fan and compressor...

I appreciate the vote of confidence on the Integra - it's been a great unit, but it seems like conventional wisdom is to feed these things with a real amp.
I can relate on the AC running while trying to listen to music. I had a similar setup using Q100,Q200c and JBL LOFT 40 surrounds. It was alright a didn't feel like I was missing anything. Then I upgraded the surrounds to Q100's and the difference was huge, especially for gaming so maybe something to consider.

An amp would definitely be a welcome addition for LS50's. You don't need to spend big $ on one as there are plenty good amps available on ebay.
KenM10759 likes this.

post #3109 of 3192 Old 07-31-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
An amp would definitely be a welcome addition for LS50's. You don't need to spend big $ on one as there are plenty good amps available on ebay.
I've used Parasound A 23, A 21, and JC 1 monoblocks, Ayre A-7e and Ayre VX-5 Twenty, and a NAD M 22 (Class D) with my LS50s. All sounded very good to excellent. For the money, a used A 21 seems like a winner. Although I'm enamored with the sound of the A7e integrated with the LS50s, the A7e has no provision for a sub. But the bass of the LS50 seems entirely adequate for baroque and jazz, the music I most enjoy. I paid about $1500 for the used A-7e.

db
post #3110 of 3192 Old 08-01-2019, 07:39 PM

The Black Editions came yesterday and I got them setup on my desktop stands.

Running them through my AVR crossed over at 80Hz with a 12" sealed M&K sub and wow oh wow.

The clarity is just stunning - even my wife thinks they sound amazing and to her everything sounds the same.

Kind of feels like I'm just going to rip everything else out, sell it off and get a good amp and preamp but really, the Integra seems to be doing a good job at the moment.
tr4a, KenM10759, Lp85253 and 1 others like this.
post #3111 of 3192 Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Black Editions came yesterday and I got them setup on my desktop stands.

Running them through my AVR crossed over at 80Hz with a 12" sealed M&K sub and wow oh wow.

The clarity is just stunning - even my wife thinks they sound amazing and to her everything sounds the same.

Kind of feels like I'm just going to rip everything else out, sell it off and get a good amp and preamp but really, the Integra seems to be doing a good job at the moment.
Congratulations and welcome to the club of LS50 owners!

What speakers were there before? No surprise to most of us, that reaction. It did take me about 6 months of ownership to upgrade the amp to something substantial, but no regrets.

Picture please!

post #3112 of 3192 Old 08-01-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Congratulations and welcome to the club of LS50 owners!

What speakers were there before? No surprise to most of us, that reaction. It did take me about 6 months of ownership to upgrade the amp to something substantial, but no regrets.

Picture please!

Previously I had KEF Q100s for L/C/R - they were sitting on 3x Sound Anchors FSTT Desktop stands - highly recommended, especially if you have several monitors and want to position your speakers.

I replaced the L/R Q100 and removed the center Q100 and it's stand and centered the top monitor (it was sitting between the L and C speakers

Pic below - including previous config with the Q100s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS50s 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	2597462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Q100s.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	2597464  
dbphd, etacarinae and KenM10759 like this.
post #3113 of 3192 Old 08-03-2019, 08:56 AM

So I tried running 2.1 for a few days.

Great for music but I missed my surround sound too much.

The center channel bookshelf on a stand just dominated the desk too much so I don't think that's coming back.

Now I'm in this weird in between place where my side and rear surrounds are JBL Arena 15s - I think I'm just being OCD but I'd rather be running all Kefs - however I'm short one Q100 to do that and the Q100s are twice as deep and much harder to mount.

I think the current plan is that I'll keep the JBLs on the wall (they are really good wall speakers) and I'm going to get a Kef T101C for an unobtrusive, wall mounted center.

A bit more Frankenstein that I'd prefer but for a surround sound system that's 95% used for playing games, I think it's fine. I'd leave the center out completely but I've seen a few titles that send dialog only to the center.

I'll probably setup the Q100s in the bedroom and once again, my world will make sense.
post #3114 of 3192 Old 08-03-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The center channel bookshelf on a stand just dominated the desk too much so I don't think that's coming back.

Now I'm in this weird in between place where my side and rear surrounds are JBL Arena 15s - I think I'm just being OCD but I'd rather be running all Kefs - however I'm short one Q100 to do that and the Q100s are twice as deep and much harder to mount.

I think the current plan is that I'll keep the JBLs on the wall (they are really good wall speakers) and I'm going to get a Kef T101C for an unobtrusive, wall mounted center.

A bit more Frankenstein that I'd prefer but for a surround sound system that's 95% used for playing games, I think it's fine. I'd leave the center out completely but I've seen a few titles that send dialog only to the center.

I'll probably setup the Q100s in the bedroom and once again, my world will make sense.
I can relate to your reaction going from Q100's to LS50's.

Like you, I was 90% TV/HT until I got Q100's and started listening to more music and now LS50's. I'm now 80% music and 20% HT. Be careful, you might find yourself enjoying music more with those LS50'S.
KenM10759 and Lp85253 like this.

post #3115 of 3192 Old 08-04-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you want an upgrade from B15's to something closer to the Kef LS50's while maintaining the shallow form factor, Canton Vento or the less expensive Chrono could be a good option. Mind you, the Q100's wouldn't be difficult to mount at all since they come equipped with keyhole brackets and stoppers necessary for that application.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html
DoubleTap1911 likes this.

post #3116 of 3192 Old 08-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I did NOT need a pair of LS50s (already have an embarrassing amount of speakers), but was always intrigued by their compact size, looks and universally praised SQ. Wanted them in titanium (I feel this is their best look), but found out they were discontinued (dammit!). Luckily I found a pair of "scratch and dents" at a discounted price on Crutchfield and I just pulled the trigger.

Was a bit hesitant about buying scratch and dents, as a big appeal of the LS50s are their looks. Much to my surprise, I got the pair and they were totally pristine. It took me 20 minutes of poring over them to find a barely noticeable nick on the bottom of one of the speakers. And this was on the bottom part of the "baffle" part of the speaker, which makes it even less noticeable.

SQ is great as advertised. Great imaging, sound staging and vocals. Using with a Martin Logan Dynamo 1000. All this is more than overkill to fill my bedroom.

My first pair of KEFs. Just a question out of curiosity in general in regards to KEF: It seems the praise of the LS50 is universal. However there seems to be more "mixed" reviews for things like the R700/R900 and things the newer R7/R11. Are these bigger speakers essentially just scaled up versions of the LS50, or is their something different about the LS50?
post #3117 of 3192 Old 08-09-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_honda View Post
I did NOT need a pair of LS50s (already have an embarrassing amount of speakers), but was always intrigued by their compact size, looks and universally praised SQ. Wanted them in titanium (I feel this is their best look), but found out they were discontinued (dammit!). Luckily I found a pair of "scratch and dents" at a discounted price on Crutchfield and I just pulled the trigger.

Was a bit hesitant about buying scratch and dents, as a big appeal of the LS50s are their looks. Much to my surprise, I got the pair and they were totally pristine. It took me 20 minutes of poring over them to find a barely noticeable nick on the bottom of one of the speakers. And this was on the bottom part of the "baffle" part of the speaker, which makes it even less noticeable.

SQ is great as advertised. Great imaging, sound staging and vocals. Using with a Martin Logan Dynamo 1000. All this is more than overkill to fill my bedroom.

My first pair of KEFs. Just a question out of curiosity in general in regards to KEF: It seems the praise of the LS50 is universal. However there seems to be more "mixed" reviews for things like the R700/R900 and things the newer R7/R11. Are these bigger speakers essentially just scaled up versions of the LS50, or is their something different about the LS50?
All have similar characteristics of sound profile. The LS50's have always been more detailed that the R series. The R700/R900 series is a little more laid-back than the LS50's, while the newer R series gets quite a bit closer with the improved Uni-Q driver and it's "shadow flare" treatment.

What speakers have you got experience with to compare with the LS50. Congratulations on finding a pair of limited edition color in your desired variation. I have the frosted black with blue driver, as those always had a similar appeal to me. Mine are paired with a KEF Kube 10b sub and driven by an NAD M10 streamer/DAC/amp in my 10'x12' office. There's some overkill for you.

post #3118 of 3192 Old 08-10-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_honda View Post

Totally agree with Ken above and would like to add that the Reference series IMO provides the scaled up versions of the LS50 or stated another way, the LS50 IMO is a mini Reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KenM10759 likes this.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #3119 of 3192 Old 08-10-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Totally agree with Ken above and would like to add that the Reference series IMO provides the scaled up versions of the LS50 or stated another way, the LS50 IMO is a mini Reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got a pair of LSX yesterday.

On my desktop and I want to use for my pc speakers to play music files on my HD as well as general pc audio like YT videos; as well as streaming.
How to connect to my pc? Is hard wiring the way to go for best sound? 1/8" aux? get a sound card with optical out to use Toslink?
Thx.
EDIT: Hooked up cable from pc to aux and it doesn't sound good at all, not nearly as good as the KEF x300a the LSX replaced. Same song wireless via Spotify premium sounds very good.
So, is there a way to stream all my pc audio to the LSX at a high quality? Is Optical Input as good quality as streaming, better than AUX?

Will I have to switch sources for the speakers between a lessor quality wired connection for pc and best quality streaming source? How do I access the very high quality 1TB music files now on my pc? DLNA (which I know nothing about)?

The x300a was simply plug into the speakers' USB connection and good to go.

Last edited by smile; 08-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #3120 of 3192 Old 08-10-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
Got a pair of LSX yesterday.

On my desktop and I want to use for my pc speakers to play music files on my HD as well as general pc audio like YT videos; as well as streaming.

How to connect to my pc? Is hard wiring the way to go for best sound? 1/8" aux? get a sound card with optical out to use Toslink?
Thx.
Unless I've read several documents and reviews wrong, the very best sound quality from them is had via connecting all via Ethernet. Otherwise the limit is 24bit/48khz.

The wireless is the easiest way, though seems to have that limitation.
jima4a likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page