post #3211 of 3218 Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahvin36 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My SVS PB12NSD has crossover settings at the back, do I enable this and set it at say 95 hz, or just disable it? Then on the Kef Remote App, the high pass is set at 95 Hz and the sub out low pass frequency is set at 100 Hz. Is this setting ok? Thanks.
Yes I would disable the crossover on your sub and let the LS50W handle that. Usually you want the high pass and low pass to be the same frequency but you could experiment with what sounds best. Does the app only let you change the frequency or does it mention a slope at all? If you use REW, you could measure different settings to see what blends best but otherwise just try some settings and see what sounds best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3218 Old 11-07-2019, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahvin36 View Post
Hi DB, sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how do you get a spectral display of in-room frequency response? I have always been tempted to get an Anthem MRX-300/310 just to use the ARC... Is this a good idea? Thanks.
I use a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that generates sweeps between 20 and 200 Hz that are passed through speakers and/or subs to a microphone. The response is displayed on a monitor. I think there are apps you can buy for a computer that do the same thing. Its important to place a decent microphone at the listening position. I've never used Anthem ARC. Whereas most folks agree low frequency room correction is helpful, many are more skeptical about full range room correction.
post #3213 of 3218 Old 11-08-2019, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 3218 Old 11-09-2019, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ken,

I installed the NAD M22 with a pair of LS50s today. Setup is Oppo 205 balanced to M22, single-ended to a pair of C268s driving LS50s for surround. The sound is very good, with the M22 projecting a deep soundstage when appropriate. I played several Blu-rays that feature music and Gladiator. Now I'm using the setup for its intended primary purpose, energy efficient Cox Cable, and it seems superb for that. I've yet to try the M22 with the Ref 1s or to activate subs with the LS50s.

I bought the pair of all-black LS50s during KEF's sale for $800 including shipping.

db
KenM10759 likes this.
post #3215 of 3218 Old 11-10-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Finally brought home a pair of LS50 wireless to compare to my passives. The wireless are really solid and sound very good, I didn't mess with the streaming app because I just hooked them up with Analog outs from my processor. Right away I could tell they sounded very similar to my passive LS50 with a bit of EQ in the highs to smooth them out. If anyone recalls, I was trying to get someone to buy the ethernet to 3.5mm connector to loop back through REW and measure the signal. Well I bought one and tried to measure the ethernet to the left speaker and I just got gibberish, I'm guessing it's a digital signal and needs to be converted to analog. Either way, I still made some detailed in room measurements so I still got some good information on the differences.

Both were measured identically with a 2nd order high pass at 100hz, spatially averaged with 6 locations, 3 in front and 3 in the back of my couch around the main listening position. The LS50W were set to stand and wall mode with no bass or treble boosts.

Many people have speculated that the main difference in the actives is the bass boost but at least in the more neutral settings, there doesn't appear to be a lot of boost, just a bit from 55-80Hz. It looks like the wall mode actually reduces the region from 300Hz and below so in free space it would be a bit more. The bigger difference is in the highs, it looks like there is some EQ to smooth out the highs at 2.2k and 5k. This is why some people complain about the LS50 passives being a bit bright and that the actives are smoother in the highs.

The more interesting thing to me was comparing my passives with the EQ I've been using from in-room measurements to the wireless version. The highs are pretty much identical after 2k, I also have a filter around 750Hz where measurements show they have a bit of a peak there as well, kind of interesting that the wireless doesn't seem to do anything around that area because after A/Bing that difference vocals sound a bit nasally without the EQ.

I can see how convenient the wireless could be for someone who doesn't want amps and receivers in their room but in my opinion if you have the ability to EQ and integrate a sub or 2, you're not giving anything up with the passives. These do put out an impressive amount of bass compared to the passives but they really sound much better high passing them to some subs anyway. Hopefully this helps someone who's trying to decide on the passives or wireless version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS501 (1).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2639318   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS502 (1).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2639320  
post #3216 of 3218 Old 11-11-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Finally brought home a pair of LS50 wireless to compare to my passives. The wireless are really solid and sound very good, I didn't mess with the streaming app because I just hooked them up with Analog outs from my processor. Right away I could tell they sounded very similar to my passive LS50 with a bit of EQ in the highs to smooth them out. If anyone recalls, I was trying to get someone to buy the ethernet to 3.5mm connector to loop back through REW and measure the signal. Well I bought one and tried to measure the ethernet to the left speaker and I just got gibberish, I'm guessing it's a digital signal and needs to be converted to analog. Either way, I still made some detailed in room measurements so I still got some good information on the differences.

Both were measured identically with a 2nd order high pass at 100hz, spatially averaged with 6 locations, 3 in front and 3 in the back of my couch around the main listening position. The LS50W were set to stand and wall mode with no bass or treble boosts.

Many people have speculated that the main difference in the actives is the bass boost but at least in the more neutral settings, there doesn't appear to be a lot of boost, just a bit from 55-80Hz. It looks like the wall mode actually reduces the region from 300Hz and below so in free space it would be a bit more. The bigger difference is in the highs, it looks like there is some EQ to smooth out the highs at 2.2k and 5k. This is why some people complain about the LS50 passives being a bit bright and that the actives are smoother in the highs.

The more interesting thing to me was comparing my passives with the EQ I've been using from in-room measurements to the wireless version. The highs are pretty much identical after 2k, I also have a filter around 750Hz where measurements show they have a bit of a peak there as well, kind of interesting that the wireless doesn't seem to do anything around that area because after A/Bing that difference vocals sound a bit nasally without the EQ.

I can see how convenient the wireless could be for someone who doesn't want amps and receivers in their room but in my opinion if you have the ability to EQ and integrate a sub or 2, you're not giving anything up with the passives. These do put out an impressive amount of bass compared to the passives but they really sound much better high passing them to some subs anyway. Hopefully this helps someone who's trying to decide on the passives or wireless version.
Well done. Thanks for taking this on. Many of us who have passive and an investment in gear have been wondering what a real room with both would measure like. I'm pleased to keep my 7 LS50s jamming with the two Def Tech subs for the foreseeable future, but it's nice to see some data to confirm my failing ears.
Geronimo.USMC and kitsap2 like this.

Best, Chris
post #3217 of 3218 Old 11-30-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone clarify for me whether the LS50W currently (Nov 2019) supports Gapless playback while streaming Tidal via the built-in streamer and KEF app, please?

And confirm that it still does not support Airplay2? Nor MQA. I realize both require hardware changes but didn’t know if perhaps KEF had updated.

I had the original version on trial early on and these issues were deal breakers - despite enjoying the sound. Airplay2 and MQA would be nice but if gapless has been fixed... I’ve been reading through this thread and see conflicting information.
post #3218 of 3218 Old 12-01-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The setup in our living room has been Roon via Ethernet to a microRendu via USB to an Ayre Codex and balanced to an Ayre A7e integrated amp driving LS50s. I hadn't heard this setup since it quit playing Roon for some reason yet undetermined. But today I connected my Ayre CX-5exMP via balanced analog and played the Bill Evans DSD Sunday at the Village Vanguard. The sound was excellent, even the bass was well tracked. Makes me realize you don't have to spend big bucks to have a really nice sounding stereo setup.
KenM10759 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page