#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Right on. Do you have any pics of them?

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT  /t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners#post_22456970

Right on. Do you have any pics of them?

I will try to take some next week, when I am back.

#5 ·
The best way to experience them is to try them with your own system if you can. All I can say is, I was comparing them to B&W PM1 which are twice the price, and I bought the LS50!

I am a repeat owner of B&W (800 Diamonds, and 802Ds). The LS50 are that good.

#6 ·
I got mine on 3 days ago. Incredible! Gorgeous, Rock solid, as enert a box as I've ever rapped. And the sound is just amazing. The sound stage and detail are reveletory. Waith thill they break in! Everything the reviews are saying is true. I normally listen to classical music, but I put on my Shelly Mann and His Friends CD, mono 1956, and the triio was right there in my den! Don't hesitate if you're thinking about these for an appropriate room.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by programdirector  /t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners#post_22675384

I got mine on 3 days ago. Incredible! Gorgeous, Rock solid, as enert a box as I've ever rapped. And the sound is just amazing. The sound stage and detail are reveletory. Waith thill they break in! Everything the reviews are saying is true. I normally listen to classical music, but I put on my Shelly Mann and His Friends CD, mono 1956, and the triio was right there in my den! Don't hesitate if you're thinking about these for an appropriate room.

Welcome, and congratulations they improve with time.

#3,331 ·
Yes. Currently use them as L/R in a 5.2 setup and soon to be 5.2.4 (adding 4 SVS Prime Elevations as Atmos height). They are excellent (low mid to highs). Imaging and soundstage are great even at MLP ~19 feet away in my living room. I don't like my muffled Definitive Tech C1's. Looking to upgrade it to Canton Chrono 505.2 or Martin Logan Motion 30.

#14 ·
I know DavidF from UK AVForum switched from five R300s to five LS50s and is super pleased. FrankHarvey has five set up in a demo room as a 5.2. From what I have heard they work amazing. Note that David works for Frank Harvey.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a  /t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners#post_22951447

I know DavidF from UK AVForum switched from five R300s to five LS50s and is super pleased. FrankHarvey has five set up in a demo room as a 5.2. From what I have heard they work amazing. Note that David works for Frank Harvey.

Here's a post from Dav1dF in AVForum:

"They're just another step forward from the R300's in my mind. Their ability to disappear is stunning, and even the right rear which is 0.9m away from me to my right hand side doesn't draw attention to itself and is able to project (obviously with the help of the other speakers) sounds and effects around me and in specific places. They're not bright, and there's no tizziness to the treble at all (reminds me of how solid and clean the treble is on the Reference models), which adds to their realism. Music in movies sounds amazing - try Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - the violins soar forwards away from the front speakers, and each piano note has weight with excellent decay. Most people would be extremely happy if their hi-fi sounded this good! Dynamics are better too - I was watching something the other night (a film I know well) and I think I was having a quick check on a forum via my iPad, so I was looking down, and something happened on screen which really made me jump - I knew it was coming!"

I''m into musical scores and seems like the speaker's tonal characteristic sounds right up my alley. He goes on mentioning how he gets the same kind of detail in his in ear headphone with this speaker. Have you guys heard about this new DTS Headphone: X (11.1 channels)? Although there's not much info out there yet about this new technology, I wonder if a pair of bookshelf speakers can work as a headphone replacement to match its acoustic reproduction and sonic detail quality, when situated in near-field. If that tends to work well, then it could be a game-changer for those watching movies with a 2.1 system in a small room...especially a speaker of this caliber. We'll just have to wait and see.

#21 ·
I just purchased a pair from KEFdirect and they should be arriving soon. I'm replacing my HT speakers and may also consider a 5.2 setup with 5 LS50s.

My question is how do you guys get that single speaker by itself when it's sold in pairs? Should I have went somewhere else to buy these instead of online?

And as long as I'm posting, anybody have any other recommendations for a center and surround that would match well with the LS 50's as the front mains?

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant  /t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners#post_22973956

I just purchased a pair from KEFdirect and they should be arriving soon. I'm replacing my HT speakers and may also consider a 5.2 setup with 5 LS50s.

My question is how do you guys get that single speaker by itself when it's sold in pairs? Should I have went somewhere else to buy these instead of online?

And as long as I'm posting, anybody have any other recommendations for a center and surround that would match well with the LS 50's as the front mains?

Go with a local dealer - you can purchase them, individually. I recommend going that route, instead of online, as you might be able to cut a better deal off the final cost as well.

What kind of sub were you thinking of matching with your speakers? Eventually, I'll be needing one once I add a center. For surrounds - I was thinking if a Paradigm MilleniaOne pair can seamlessly provide a similar amount of detail to match with the fronts.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant  /t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners#post_22973956 Anybody have any other recommendations for a center and surround that would match well with the LS 50's as the front mains?

Use all the same speakers you will be much happier and will not be frustrated when the sound doesn't match you should at least use the same three front channels!

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori  /t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners#post_22974465

What kind of sub were you thinking of matching with your speakers? Eventually, I'll be needing one once I add a center. For surrounds - I was thinking if a Paradigm MilleniaOne pair can seamlessly provide a similar amount of detail to match with the fronts.

That I am not sure about subs either. Space is tight. I have a 14x14x9 room...almost half of which is already taken up by my sofa and av gear. =P

However I am aiming for dual subs. I was originally looking at dual Hsu VTF-3 MK4's, but I honestly have not heard them myself. They are local (to you, too, I think) and the cost is reduced if you pick them up yourself.

I also sent you a PM. Please respond when you have a chance! Thanks.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant  /t/1432153/kef-ls50-owners#post_22975168

That I am not sure about subs either. Space is tight. I have a 14x14x9 room...almost half of which is already taken up by my sofa and av gear. =P

However I am aiming for dual subs. I was originally looking at dual Hsu VTF-3 MK4's, but I honestly have not heard them myself ...

I'm currently running an SVS SB12-NSD with a Q100's setup - the sub is very accurate and detailed (no more blurry thumps!). This sub has a very small form factor for a 12" sub - it's basically a 14" cube. I wanted a small form factor so that I could upgrade to dual subs down the road.

#26 ·
I'm also strongly considering getting three LS-50's LCR for my HT. (It's a medium sized room and most of my listening is at medium to lower volume, seem like a good fit for the LS-50.)

Some questions ...

Any more feedback from owners about how they sound for HT?

They're rear ported - after using/placing them how much space do owners recommend between the speaker and the wall?

I'm assuming there's not a problem with laying one on it's side as a center speaker ... (worked fine with a Q100)

Any concerns about the speaker not having a grill? (dust settling, etc.) Or does anyone know of a grill that can be used?

Budget wise I'd like to try something else as my surrounds (at least for a while). While not optimal, would KEF HTS 3001 eggs be acceptable as surrounds (trying to stay with UniQ drivers)? Or could I use a couple of my Q100's?

Thanks!