KEF LS50 Owners - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 387Likes

post #31 of 3168 Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
thanks. Since these are rear ported what do you think is the minimum space i need behind the speaker? I may only have a inch or two, maybe a bit more if i angle them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3168 Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just got them today. did you check the manual, there is some good info on this issue, and how to use the plugs/when. I can scan it if you want.

Photo Tour of my home - 2ch, 3.1, & 5.1 builds 
But a whole new house is getting wired now!
New media room shaping up: Sony XBR70X850B 4K, Denon AVR-X4100W, Studio 60s
Thanks to all the AVS members. This is a great community.
post #33 of 3168 Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 AM

Thanks. it looks like theres a more solid/closed plug for less than 200mm. i'm only going to have ~50-70 mm depending on angling them. Will these adversely change the sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 3168 Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I don’t what it is, for some reason my LS50 is not performing up to standard in stereo. I wonder if this is caused by either my Marantz 1602 receiver, Airplay’s bandwidth limitation when playing Apple lossless files, the lack of breaking-in, or because I’m seated too close to the backwall of a non-acoustically treated room. There are factors, I know, but for it to sound just as good as my old NHTs something doesn’t appear quite right. I even developed some ear fatigue listening at moderate volume.

So I asked in the amp/receiver thread if re-calibrating Audyssey will help such issue. Any other suggestions here? Maybe the speakers too revealing nature tends to exacerbate the higher frequencies, especially with airplay…

With movies though, it’s a different ballgame. They are a detail champ, for sure – ultra clear, especially with vocals and surrounds. I can’t help but smile when I hear subtleties of background noises that were never noticed before. Even sound effects that were far from distance were quite audible with a degree of clarity. They sounded so full with such a defined bass. So clean and defined I’ve re-watched the entire Skyfall movie last night without a sub. While they never dug deep in the lows, the accuracy and definition of the mid bass worked so efficiently that I never felt something missing at all. As a result, I enjoyed the film just as immensely without a sub. I can’t imagine just how good it gets when matched with a good quality sub:).
post #35 of 3168 Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Btw,I just spoke to a KEF rep regrading the LS50's. he said for a true center, he said he would not go lower than a R200. Although, a 3rd LS50 (which they don't sell singles) would be a excellent choice for multi channel/blu ray concert listening/viewing.
Btw,I have been doing a fair amount of research on theLS50 after auditioning them. It seems like the biggest nock is the lack of bass compared to the R100/300. If this is true, wouldn't the sub compensate for this? While giving a cleaner sound?
post #36 of 3168 Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post

I don’t what it is, for some reason my LS50 is not performing up to standard in stereo. I wonder if this is caused by either my Marantz 1602 receiver, Airplay’s bandwidth limitation when playing Apple lossless files, the lack of breaking-in, or because I’m seated too close to the backwall of a non-acoustically treated room. There are factors, I know, but for it to sound just as good as my old NHTs something doesn’t appear quite right. I even developed some ear fatigue listening at moderate volume.

So I asked in the amp/receiver thread if re-calibrating Audyssey will help such issue. Any other suggestions here? Maybe the speakers too revealing nature tends to exacerbate the higher frequencies, especially with airplay…

With movies though, it’s a different ballgame. They are a detail champ, for sure – ultra clear, especially with vocals and surrounds. I can’t help but smile when I hear subtleties of background noises that were never noticed before. Even sound effects that were far from distance were quite audible with a degree of clarity. They sounded so full with such a defined bass. So clean and defined I’ve re-watched the entire Skyfall movie last night without a sub. While they never dug deep in the lows, the accuracy and definition of the mid bass worked so efficiently that I never felt something missing at all. As a result, I enjoyed the film just as immensely without a sub. I can’t imagine just how good it gets when matched with a good quality sub:).

How many hours do you have on them?
And while the marantz is "ok" and within spec at 50wpc, I would bet they want 100wpc to make them dance, min.

post #37 of 3168 Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Also I'm assuming you not using a sub?
post #38 of 3168 Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA3 View Post

How many hours do you have on them?
And while the marantz is "ok" and within spec at 50wpc, I would bet they want 100wpc to make them dance, min.

I must've logged over 10 hours of listening, at least. Yeah while the marantz is ok - still, I never thought they would need more power, especially when you listen at moderate level in stereo mode. confused.gif
post #39 of 3168 Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

Also I'm assuming you not using a sub?

At that moment, I didn't use any sub when listening to music. However, that's not the issue at all...as I mentioned earlier, some fatigue to my ear in the upper range. smile.gif The speaker seems to have a more forward nature as well.
post #40 of 3168 Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 AM

I am very torn between going with the R100 vs the LS50. Either way I'm going with the SVS PB12-NSD
or
HSU VTF-3 MK4
I'm a Lillie concerned that the lack of front bass on the LS50 might be noticeable givin the size of my family room (17x20 listening area)
post #41 of 3168 Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey there,
I have to say, what you are hearing is a simple mismatch of audio equipment.

I have a denon avr 2113 and I auditioned them with a marantz 6007 I think it was and the seller told me the ls50 were a mismatch with all denon/marantz amps and receivers.

Indeed I heard them with a Cambridge audio and it was a night and day difference.

I need to change my setup now. :-(

post #42 of 3168 Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM

I'm certainly no expert. However as long as your amp/avr is powerful enough I can't see it being a "mismatch".
post #43 of 3168 Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 PM

Agreed.

The marantz he has is 50wpc. The speakers are 85db sensitivity. Need more powahhhh.
techblogpool likes this.

post #44 of 3168 Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I got an email today from someone who has Vandersteen 2ceSigs which I have heard and are pretty amazing and he heard the LS50s out of the box and wants to sell his Vandys and go LS50s - says a lot to me! i have not yet heard the LS50s but it is inevitable.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #45 of 3168 Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

I am very torn between going with the R100 vs the LS50. Either way I'm going with the SVS PB12-NSD
or
HSU VTF-3 MK4
I'm a Lillie concerned that the lack of front bass on the LS50 might be noticeable givin the size of my family room (17x20 listening area)

For a room that size you might consider a dual sub setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #46 of 3168 Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM

I wish that was a option. Room configuration W/ furniture is not a viable option. Thx
post #47 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Out of curiosity do you configure the LS50's as 'Large' or Small' on your AVR receivers?
post #48 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by john bass View Post

Out of curiosity do you configure the LS50's as 'Large' or Small' on your AVR receivers?

The LS50's concentric driver has the same suspension as the Q100's concentric driver, which means an xmax of about 4mm. Better, IMO, to plug the port and filter it at 120-150Hz.

With any concentric, one wants the tweeter's waveguide (i.e. the woofer cone) to be as still as possible.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #49 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvs View Post

I listen to vocals, classic rock, jazz, blues, instrumental and classical music. No complains at all.
In a small to medium room, they are a WINNER.
post #50 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

^^X2 these speakers are amazing !^^
post #51 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The thing is, component match goes beyond wattage. To explain.., my Denon has specs range for 6 to 16 ohm, at 8Ohm it vides optimal power for the speakers and at minimum distortion. However, despite these being marked as 8 Ohm, they really go as low as 3,2 Ohm. At that low resistance, the speaker draws more power from the amp. My Denon can handle the speaker, but far from brilliantly, not to mention, accuracy is lower. This is unfortunately similar within the whole Denon/Marantz range. The reseller told me they tested these with the top Marantz/Denon amps and has similar results. They simply are built for different kinds of speakers. And these speakers require an amp that can control the precisely even when they draw high power at such low resistance.

post #52 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
^^^ So what AVR would you recommend? (For those of us running 5.1 and not wanting to go the separate receiver/amps route.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #53 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post

Turn off Audessey and go from there. Audessey really helps mediocre speaker designs in bad rooms, but I've noticed people that have measurably and subjectively good speakers tend to not like what Audessey does. You have good speakers. Turn of Audessey. If the issue persists start with speaker placement. I'm not big on a lot room treatment, but a side wall too close, or the wall behind the speaker can cause issues for sure. Side wall too close does seem impact treble quite a lot. You also mention you are seated against a wall, I've noticed in my own room with a big window behind me that that can cause a bad reflection. If I pull down the big slat blinds it is fine. So maybe see if you can do something there, even consider moving the seat out a foot or two. A very good speaker designer often told me to fix acoustic problems acoustically, avoid electronic fixes when possible. I think that is good advice. Bottom line is you have good speakers, so barring a defect you just need to work with the room first.
post #54 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It is also possible that the slightly more forward character of this speaker (from what I've read) is simply not your thing. EQ could help here, but just throwing money at new electronics probably won't.
post #55 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 975
I listened to the LS50s and R300s last week. Other than better low frequency extension on the R300 I couldn't really tell a difference. That Uni-Q is pretty sweet though, giant sweet spot.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #56 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Right, more than just WPC it's the type of power, the ohms, etc.

I couldn't take the wait for my integrated for my 2.0 room, office. These KEFs have been waiting impatiently to be broken in. So I unhooked my Studio60 floor standing speakers, which I was bi-amping and reconfigured my avr to a standard configuration. Used some stools as speaker stands! This is in my media room. Took 3 mins.

My AVR is a Denon 3312CI, 125wpc. About 2 yrs old now.

Let me tell you, I was expecting them to sound great, but not this great. The integrated I'm waiting on is 125wpc as well, but a different type of machine.
http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova12...-with-dac.html
a lot more grunt

However, wow the Denon got the job done.
You can't hear the low end from an iphone video, obviously, but YES it's there,
my entire media room sounds amazing, from two bookies!
I kept checking the display on the AVR to make sure the sub was off.

Silly to share a video of HIFI SPEAKERS! But that's me, silly.
at around 35 seconds I bring the iphone over to the speaker and you hear a much better sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OR14JjSWKY
as I said, can't really appreciate them from a video, but I was excited.
just the visual of these bad-boys was worth sharing.
cheers

post #57 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very nice vid , sounds great ! What album are you playing ? Sounds beautiful and would love to spin that threw my LS50's .
post #58 of 3168 Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds fantastic!

Would one use Audyssey with the LS50 or would this be completely beside the point by ruining all the design and quality efforts?
post #59 of 3168 Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bass View Post

Sounds fantastic!

Would one use Audyssey with the LS50 or would this be completely beside the point by ruining all the design and quality efforts?

Thx guys. I will check which album I was playing. Regarding audyssey, I hit DIRECT on the remote which leads to two channel, no sub, and turns off all processing. I have the same button on a marantz upstairs, so it's fairly common. Good luck!

post #60 of 3168 Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

Turn off Audessey and go from there. Audessey really helps mediocre speaker designs in bad rooms, but I've noticed people that have measurably and subjectively good speakers tend to not like what Audessey does. You have good speakers. Turn of Audessey. If the issue persists start with speaker placement. I'm not big on a lot room treatment, but a side wall too close, or the wall behind the speaker can cause issues for sure. Side wall too close does seem impact treble quite a lot. You also mention you are seated against a wall, I've noticed in my own room with a big window behind me that that can cause a bad reflection. If I pull down the big slat blinds it is fine. So maybe see if you can do something there, even consider moving the seat out a foot or two. A very good speaker designer often told me to fix acoustic problems acoustically, avoid electronic fixes when possible. I think that is good advice. Bottom line is you have good speakers, so barring a defect you just need to work with the room first.

I’ve tried re-positioning both speakers and my seating to get an optimal setup but that didn’t solve my issue. It’s the higher frequency sounding as if they’re still trapped inside a small enclosure. Never thought of that...I’ll try your suggestion of turning Audyssey OFF and use Pure Direct Mode, after I break-in…I’m at around 40 hours right now in low moderate volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page