KEF LS50 Owners - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 411Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2131 of 3252 Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had a denon 4200 for a little while when my peachtree 220se was being fixed. I'd say the 4200 is pretty similar to your denon. My ears couldn't tell much if any difference in sound.

Personally I'd save the $.

I ended up keeping the peachtree once I got it back since it looks a lot nicer and it's good to know power will never be an issue.
nycmtber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2132 of 3252 Old 01-25-2017, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I've been using our racing red LS50s for stereo in the living room. As part of decluttering, I removed the sub manager and all the cables associated with running the pair of subs. Today I replaced the Cary Cinema 12 processor with an Ayre K-5xeMP preamp. It gave me new respect for the sound available with LS50s. From reviews. I expected the sound with the preamp to be more tube-like and a bit smoother, but I didn't expect the improvement I got. The LF extension especially is a surprise; I don't miss the subs at all. I always thought the LS50s were good, I just didn't realize how good!

Sources are an Oppo BDP-105 and Sony HAP-Z1ES, amp is a 30-year-old Proceed Amp 2, all balanced connections.

db
Nick V and KenM10759 like this.
dbphd is offline  
post #2133 of 3252 Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Member
 
ChristopherP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgncat View Post
How many of you use the LS50's in L/C/R and even with surrounds for H/T? There is not a dealer in our area so I'm trying to gauge if this is the way I want to go or LS50's or R300's with R600c/R200c.

Building a new H/T area in the basement so it's a clean slate. So far, I only have a Marantz AV8802 and no multi-channel amp yet. Mostly movies and occasionally 70's, 80's and 90's rock/classic rock for music.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
This is long post, but I finally think I have something to contribute to the discussion, and wanted to give back a fraction of what I have gained reading this thread.

First, Thanks to all on this thread for the great information you provide. I'm grateful to you all for your knowlege and good info shared here. I have not posted in a very long time, but I needed to thank everyone and the attached post motivated me to answer with my recent experience. I just completed the upgrade of my 5.1 system over the last four months. Here's what I did with your information.

First my background is 50+ yrs of 2.x Audio, 1st amp:Scott Tube, 20w at 12yrs old used from the original, one and only the time; Seattle Magnolia Hi-Fi. I love audio and video, play records, tape, cassette, video both recording(starting w/½ reel tape, to Hi-8, VHS, and Laserdisk, DVDmovies. (Info Sys/Engr. career) I research before listen, before purchase at B&M store when possible.

Some background about the room first, then description of new sys, and conclusions about sound quality.
1. The HT room is our family room and library, effective size is 12x15 with full depth floor to ceiling bookcases (full) on 2.5 walls, open to the kitchen (short side) with large window opposite the long wall bookshelves. Ceiling is flat, 8.5' high. Closed short side wall has fireplace with plasma screen in it and center spkr under on raised brick hearth. Two MLPs 9-10 feet away from panel, and couch under window for two off axis visitors.

2. The old system was: mains EQ'd Kef 102 ref., M&K small rear surrounds, and Def Tech Center & Sub. Driven by Yamaha RX-V1000, multiple sources. Serviceable system, but way, way out of date.

3. Decision to upgrade at retirement enabled me to update main components. Target system is 6.1.2 for now. Small room, compromised placement. After research here and listening at B&M, I wound up with 5 LS50s. Purchased 1st pair fm B&M (sounded very good on old amp), then another pair w/ ctr. single from Kef Direct per their online sale. So, LS50 main L/C/R, Rear L/R. I repurposed the old Def Tech center (early C2002) to rear presence (single centered). I repurposed the Kef 102s (front ported) as Front Presence speakers (no EQ), high in bookshelves behind the L/C/R mains. The mains left and right are on Sanus 26" stands (sand filled) with at least 24" behind the port w/L24" and R19" side space, stands and placement are compromise, (dealer threw stands in free with purchase. ). The LS50 center is now immediately under the 55" PioElite-Plasma (1080i) panel with unused empty fireplace firebox behind, also about 24" open behind. The center is horizontal and a bit pulled forward. It is low, about 20" on ctr. from floor. No bungs in any of the ports.

4. WAF liked sound of first two LS50s, and loved the colored cones (all piano black with 'rose' cones). So was approved to move ahead. Next on agenda, replace antique AVR. In comes new Yamaha (my forth in 50 yrs) the RX-A3060. Wow. Major improvement over old AVR. Power about doubled per channel. Supports all the new hardware, so also added Oppo 203, replacing antique ES Sony DVD. Added a harmony remote and some new UHD/BD material to test based on forum top ten list.

5. Hooked up new presence and L/C/R speakers with custom length Kimber Cable (banana plugs both ends) really good quality and reasonable cost. A major improvement over large lamp cord in previous setup. Some wrinkles: SVHS jog shuttle VHS deck had no HDMI out, so purchased converter from B&H to handle conversion to HDMI. Only one phono port, so second phono deck is yet not connected. Laser Player is switched through the SVHS deck to save a converter box.

6. How does it Sound. My Oh My. It is wonderful. I am now one of the folks with 5 LS50 who are insanely happy with their system. The Yamaha YPAO set up the room well, the Def Tech sub-woofer is adequate for now, and pulling all duty below 80hz. We've been listening for about three weeks, and the speakers are almost broken in. They sound seamless across the L/C/R front, and pans are very clean. The surround integration is also very good. The old speakers still in service now with lighter duty support the sound field well. "The Revenant" atmospherics translated exteremely well, making me want to add a couple more presence and wish I had a room good for Atmos.

Summary:
I am partial to Jazz, and Classic Rock, with some Big Band and Classical, mostly streamed, but with a large vinyl collection and much tape still not converted, I am using all types of inputs.

I you like accuracy, and realize that with the LS50s, it is GIGO to use an old computing term. Garbage in Garbage out. The great mixes and movies sound fabulous, and the poor mixes, not so much. The Yami DSP can help some, but the LS50s don't tolerate poor content well. I listen to about 50/50 music and video, and appreciate hearing what's in the content. This system is future proof from my perspective. My old Kefs have been running since the '80s. I expect these new boxes to last just as long.

I have had great support from all suppliers both before and after sale. To this Forum and the Yamaha forum. Many thanks. I'll keep lurking and learning appreciating all you folks are contributing.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Best Chris
tr4a, steveting99 and KenM10759 like this.
ChristopherP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2134 of 3252 Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Member
 
dwgncat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dorothy's Sunflower state
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherP View Post
This is long post, but I finally think I have something to contribute to the discussion, and wanted to give back a fraction of what I have gained reading this thread.

First, Thanks to all on this thread for the great information you provide. I'm grateful to you all for your knowlege and good info shared here. I have not posted in a very long time, but I needed to thank everyone and the attached post motivated me to answer with my recent experience. I just completed the upgrade of my 5.1 system over the last four months. Here's what I did with your information.

First my background is 50+ yrs of 2.x Audio, 1st amp:Scott Tube, 20w at 12yrs old used from the original, one and only the time; Seattle Magnolia Hi-Fi. I love audio and video, play records, tape, cassette, video both recording(starting w/½ reel tape, to Hi-8, VHS, and Laserdisk, DVDmovies. (Info Sys/Engr. career) I research before listen, before purchase at B&M store when possible.

Some background about the room first, then description of new sys, and conclusions about sound quality.
1. The HT room is our family room and library, effective size is 12x15 with full depth floor to ceiling bookcases (full) on 2.5 walls, open to the kitchen (short side) with large window opposite the long wall bookshelves. Ceiling is flat, 8.5' high. Closed short side wall has fireplace with plasma screen in it and center spkr under on raised brick hearth. Two MLPs 9-10 feet away from panel, and couch under window for two off axis visitors.

2. The old system was: mains EQ'd Kef 102 ref., M&K small rear surrounds, and Def Tech Center & Sub. Driven by Yamaha RX-V1000, multiple sources. Serviceable system, but way, way out of date.

3. Decision to upgrade at retirement enabled me to update main components. Target system is 6.1.2 for now. Small room, compromised placement. After research here and listening at B&M, I wound up with 5 LS50s. Purchased 1st pair fm B&M (sounded very good on old amp), then another pair w/ ctr. single from Kef Direct per their online sale. So, LS50 main L/C/R, Rear L/R. I repurposed the old Def Tech center (early C2002) to rear presence (single centered). I repurposed the Kef 102s (front ported) as Front Presence speakers (no EQ), high in bookshelves behind the L/C/R mains. The mains left and right are on Sanus 26" stands (sand filled) with at least 24" behind the port w/L24" and R19" side space, stands and placement are compromise, (dealer threw stands in free with purchase. ). The LS50 center is now immediately under the 55" PioElite-Plasma (1080i) panel with unused empty fireplace firebox behind, also about 24" open behind. The center is horizontal and a bit pulled forward. It is low, about 20" on ctr. from floor. No bungs in any of the ports.

4. WAF liked sound of first two LS50s, and loved the colored cones (all piano black with 'rose' cones). So was approved to move ahead. Next on agenda, replace antique AVR. In comes new Yamaha (my forth in 50 yrs) the RX-A3060. Wow. Major improvement over old AVR. Power about doubled per channel. Supports all the new hardware, so also added Oppo 203, replacing antique ES Sony DVD. Added a harmony remote and some new UHD/BD material to test based on forum top ten list.

5. Hooked up new presence and L/C/R speakers with custom length Kimber Cable (banana plugs both ends) really good quality and reasonable cost. A major improvement over large lamp cord in previous setup. Some wrinkles: SVHS jog shuttle VHS deck had no HDMI out, so purchased converter from B&H to handle conversion to HDMI. Only one phono port, so second phono deck is yet not connected. Laser Player is switched through the SVHS deck to save a converter box.

6. How does it Sound. My Oh My. It is wonderful. I am now one of the folks with 5 LS50 who are insanely happy with their system. The Yamaha YPAO set up the room well, the Def Tech sub-woofer is adequate for now, and pulling all duty below 80hz. We've been listening for about three weeks, and the speakers are almost broken in. They sound seamless across the L/C/R front, and pans are very clean. The surround integration is also very good. The old speakers still in service now with lighter duty support the sound field well. "The Revenant" atmospherics translated exteremely well, making me want to add a couple more presence and wish I had a room good for Atmos.

Summary:
I am partial to Jazz, and Classic Rock, with some Big Band and Classical, mostly streamed, but with a large vinyl collection and much tape still not converted, I am using all types of inputs.

I you like accuracy, and realize that with the LS50s, it is GIGO to use an old computing term. Garbage in Garbage out. The great mixes and movies sound fabulous, and the poor mixes, not so much. The Yami DSP can help some, but the LS50s don't tolerate poor content well. I listen to about 50/50 music and video, and appreciate hearing what's in the content. This system is future proof from my perspective. My old Kefs have been running since the '80s. I expect these new boxes to last just as long.

I have had great support from all suppliers both before and after sale. To this Forum and the Yamaha forum. Many thanks. I'll keep lurking and learning appreciating all you folks are contributing.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Best Chris
Chris, thanks for the reply! I matriculated at the big school on Montlake and remember visiting that Magnolia a few times (along with the one in Bellevue) back in the mid to late 80s! And I grew up on the other side of the state (think vine valley!) so always nice to hear from another evergreen state forumite.

I appreciate your feedback. As with your stated musical preferences, I am, for the most part, right there with you except for the classical stuff which I admit I haven't yet taken the time to appreciate. Classic rock and big band (Wheels by Billy Vaughn!) are great reminders of my past appreciation for a wide variety of music.

My wallet tells me to go LS50 L/C/R but my mind and research state keep looking into the R300 / R600c grouping (especially for more hard rock). If KEF had a 30 or 45 day return similar to SVS or similar ID, I'd be even more apt to try them out. The HSU CCB-8 seems somewhat similar to the LS50 in the concentric approach, so that should be worth a try as well.

Thanks!

dwgncat
dwg - UW Husky alum - myself
cat - KState Wildcat alum - better half

dwgncat

Basement Home Theater - Panasonic TC-65VT60 | Anthem MRX-510 | Oppo BDP-105D | Panamax MR-5300 | GoldenEar Triton 3+ SuperCenter X, Invisa 650s
Family Room - Panasonic TC-P55ST30 | ZVOX 580
Master - Pioneer Kuro 5080
dwgncat is offline  
post #2135 of 3252 Old 01-25-2017, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tractng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Socal
Posts: 1,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgncat View Post
Chris, thanks for the reply! I matriculated at the big school on Montlake and remember visiting that Magnolia a few times (along with the one in Bellevue) back in the mid to late 80s! And I grew up on the other side of the state (think vine valley!) so always nice to hear from another evergreen state forumite.

I appreciate your feedback. As with your stated musical preferences, I am, for the most part, right there with you except for the classical stuff which I admit I haven't yet taken the time to appreciate. Classic rock and big band (Wheels by Billy Vaughn!) are great reminders of my past appreciation for a wide variety of music.

My wallet tells me to go LS50 L/C/R but my mind and research state keep looking into the R300 / R600c grouping (especially for more hard rock). If KEF had a 30 or 45 day return similar to SVS or similar ID, I'd be even more apt to try them out. The HSU CCB-8 seems somewhat similar to the LS50 in the concentric approach, so that should be worth a try as well.

Thanks!

dwgncat
dwg - UW Husky alum - myself
cat - KState Wildcat alum - better half
Go for the LS50. I have a single LS50 that I am willing to ship
tractng is offline  
post #2136 of 3252 Old 01-26-2017, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 2,223
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I've been using our racing red LS50s for stereo in the living room. As part of decluttering, I removed the sub manager and all the cables associated with running the pair of subs. Today I replaced the Cary Cinema 12 processor with an Ayre K-5xeMP preamp. It gave me new respect for the sound available with LS50s. From reviews. I expected the sound with the preamp to be more tube-like and a bit smoother, but I didn't expect the improvement I got. The LF extension especially is a surprise; I don't miss the subs at all. I always thought the LS50s were good, I just didn't realize how good!

Sources are an Oppo BDP-105 and Sony HAP-Z1ES, amp is a 30-year-old Proceed Amp 2, all balanced connections.

db
I have the same preamp in my main system for stereo (HT Bypass for movies/multichannel) for my 205/2s and I also noticed increased LF response quite unexpected. It loaded my room which had not happened in 2.0 before.
jima4a is offline  
post #2137 of 3252 Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,384
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyral View Post
Hi,

I currently have the kef ls50 with a denon x3300w. While I do like the sound now, I have the feeling that I'am not using the kefs at their full potential.

What would be my options for improving the sound? I run them with a svs pb2000 and I do plan to add another sub in the future. The kefs will be used 50/50 music/home cinema.

Thanks!
Hi Cyral,

If no one has said so, welcome to AVS!

You've got a number of choices to help improve sound quality and get the best out of your KEF LS50 mini-monitors.

If you haven't done so yet, do the sub crawl as shown in the youtube video by Axiom Audio below.

The purpose of the sub crawl is to put the current sub in the best position where the bass response is as good as it gets with a single unit. If you've moved the sub from it's current location, another Audyssey run is needed. As you've got the top end room correction available from Audyssey via XT32 with sub EQ HT, do all 8 positions and try the close mic pattern rather than the wide sofa position. If possible, use a boom stand and adapter to hold the Audyssey mic and have repeatable/reliable results. The 1st position is the most important as the trims and delays are set based on this.

After the above, go into individual speaker and increase the sub 1 level by say +3dB to +6dB to taste. This will give a more fuller sounding bass.

The best bang for the buck option is the 2nd sub. The 2nd sub will help deal with room modes and minimize seat to seat variance. A second sub will also allow a higher crossover frequency between the LS50 and minimize sub localization. By selecting say 100Hz as the crossover, the energy intensive low frequencies are passed over to the more capable subs and thus putting less strain on the amp section of the X3300W.

Once you've got the 2nd sub, do the following.
*Connect up both subs and place sub 2 at the MLP. Ensure the center of sub 2 (driver dependent) is at ear level or where the MLP is going to be.
*Turn ON sub 1 + sub 2.
*Do the sub crawl (as done for sub 1) to determine the best position for sub 2.
*Place sub 2 in that position.
*Do another Audyssey run so that time alignment of sub 1 + sub 2 is done.

You might be interested in the the chest slam tweak, but it will mean getting an external PEQ filter for your pair of svs pb2000 (assuming your 2nd sub will the same as the first). The balanced version of the miniDSP 2x4 is a good low cost option.

Next is to look at room measurements and room treatments. What you're trying to do is improve the smoothness of the bass (less ringing or flabby) and make it more vice real. This will involve measuring the interaction of the subs with the room's low frequency response (before any room correction is applied) and improve it's timing by adding bass traps. Consider also broadband absorbers to help improve the mids and high frequencies by eliminating first reflection points.

Since your Denon X3300W has pre-outs and if you don't like Audyssey room correction, you have the option of going with an external room correction box to external amps. This will really open up opportunities to tweak the sound based on the natural roll off the LS50 speakers.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
post #2138 of 3252 Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Member
 
yellowbalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
LS50 New Owner:

Hi Guys,
I have two pairs of LS50. I have compare them against my current Veritas 6.3 and Rainmaker and based on my listening, my wife and another friend, the sound of LS50 is not that good against my other existing two. Unfortunately, I have sold the Rainmaker as it was for sale to make room for LS50 but before I found the buyer, I was able to test it using the same equipments. Even the buyer of rainmaker felt that LS50 lacks detail by big margin. Is there any adjustment I need to do?

Danny
yellowbalt is offline  
post #2139 of 3252 Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
LS50 New Owner:

Hi Guys,
I have two pairs of LS50. I have compare them against my current Veritas 6.3 and Rainmaker and based on my listening, my wife and another friend, the sound of LS50 is not that good against my other existing two. Unfortunately, I have sold the Rainmaker as it was for sale to make room for LS50 but before I found the buyer, I was able to test it using the same equipments. Even the buyer of rainmaker felt that LS50 lacks detail by big margin. Is there any adjustment I need to do?

Danny
Danny

What are feeding the LS50's ?

Having 5 of them they definitely revealed when a friend
of mine brought over his 320MP3's.

Steve
tr4a is offline  
post #2140 of 3252 Old 01-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Member
 
yellowbalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Steve,
Its marantz AV7702 and Wyred4sound 500watts

Danny

Steve
Quote:
Danny

What are feeding the LS50's ?

Having 5 of them they definitely revealed when a friend
of mine brought over his 320MP3's.

Steve
yellowbalt is offline  
post #2141 of 3252 Old 01-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
Hi Steve,
Its marantz AV7702 and Wyred4sound 500watts

Danny

Steve
Danny

I doubt you are feeding the LS50's MP3's with that gear.
Did you remove the port bungs?
Also what crossover setting are you using on the AV7702?

Lacking in detail is something I could never say about my LS50's
Deepest bass yes. My Trinnov crosses mine over at 76hz.

Steve
tr4a is offline  
post #2142 of 3252 Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Member
 
yellowbalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Steve,
Its set to 80. It's not that it lacks detail or maybe imaging but whenever I would compare it to the veritas 6.3, I think I should say I really appreciate the veritas more. Compared to 6.3, the LS50 really sounds big but less detail or sound hallow. Even my wife who is not into this hobby surprisingly told me.the same thing as we really hear the big difference.
Also I don't listen to mp3 on.my system. Only Blu-ray concerts,/movie, flack, sacd and sometimes Spotify with extreme quality setting.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
Hi Steve,
Its marantz AV7702 and Wyred4sound 500watts

Danny

Steve
Danny

I doubt you are feeding the LS50's MP3's with that gear.
Did you remove the port bungs?
Also what crossover setting are you using on the AV7702?

Lacking in detail is something I could never say about my LS50's
Deepest bass yes. My Trinnov crosses mine over at 76hz.

Steve

Last edited by yellowbalt; 01-27-2017 at 06:32 PM.
yellowbalt is offline  
post #2143 of 3252 Old 01-28-2017, 05:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brunei
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, newbie to the owners thread.

Recently did an impulse buy on the LS50 whilst saving up for an ATC SCM11.v2 since it was a 'steal'. Didn't regret it a bit tho' cos still got my sights on the ATCs.

Currently running it with a Marantz PM6006/CD6006 tho' planning to upgrade to a pre/pwr combo (shortlist incl. Exposure, Roksan, Audiolab & Rotel) in preparation for the ATCs. At the mo I feel the amplification suffices tho I know that'll appreciate more power hence it'll go fine with my upgrade plans. I must say the LS will be a keeper. Mainly listens to jazz (3-5 ensembles), female vocals and prog house.

I find little fault with the LS given its modest size. Bass-wise, sufficient, you'll have to be a bass freak to be wanting more (had it running prog house and there's no complain in the bass department). I find toe-ins plays an important role in how the bass is (currently MLP is 11" from spkrs). Before this, my love affair with bookshelf monitors goes aways back, from the Mission 780SEs, 'Dale Diamond 10.1 and of course an ATC SCM 11.v1. Its 'parked' on 27" custom aquarium-gravel filled 4-pillared stand which brings it total height to 28" (plus stand spikes & Atacama's Iso gels) & probably weighs in at 50kgs each.

I hope I can learn more and get further insights from this thread in regards to enjoying and getting the fullest from these wonderful little buggers...yes another classic it'll be in my mini wonder bookshelf monitor repertoire

Marantz CD6006>PM6006>KEF LS50 & ATC SCM11.v1
HiFi81 is offline  
post #2144 of 3252 Old 01-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I also got my eyes on the Kef LS50, for a stereo setup.
Has anybody ever tested the Kef LS50 on a Cambridge Audio CXA60 or a Pioneer A70?
RDK91 is offline  
post #2145 of 3252 Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'am about to trade in my kef ls50s for the kef ls50s wireless, got a great discount. But I do have one question.

How would the LFE channel be managed when I connect the wireless kef ls50 to a sub ( without a receiver )? I know you can set the low pass for instance to 80hz, but what happens with the LFE channel then? Since I would want to keep the LFE channel set to 120hz.

Thank you!
Cyral is offline  
post #2146 of 3252 Old 01-29-2017, 03:25 AM
Member
 
davidtiew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys. Quick question, I'm currently using a external creative sound card x fi 5.1 surrounding connected to my pc via USB. Would upgrading to an arcam irdac improve the sound quality. I would like to know if the money would be well spend on the dac. The DAC will then connect via rca to my yaqin mc 13s tube amp. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
davidtiew is offline  
post #2147 of 3252 Old 02-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
jerrolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Would a 12" Sub be too much for the LS50? I currently use a 10" SVS PB1000 (ported) - thinking of adding a 2nd or upgrading to a single 12" PB-2000. Crossed over at 80hz atm.
jerrolds is offline  
post #2148 of 3252 Old 02-02-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post
I currently use a 10" SVS PB1000 (ported) - thinking of adding a 2nd or upgrading to a single 12" PB-2000.
I've used two Velodyne HGS-10s and an SMS-1 bass manager with good results, so I'd argue for a pair of 10" subs. OTOH, have you tried the LS50s full range without a sub? You might find it entirely adequate. I took down my subs as part of decluttering the living room setup, and haven't missed them. What really did improve the sound was replacing a Cary Cinema 12 processor with an Ayre K-5xeMP preamp -- didn't know the LS50s could sound so good.

db
dbphd is offline  
post #2149 of 3252 Old 02-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
What is it that fails to satisfy you? I'm still up in the air. My thinking has gone from Levinson 383 integrated to 380S with separate amp to Rogue Sphinx integrated back to Halo Integrated. I sold my Parasound A 21 last night, so may use one of my Proceed Amp 2s until I decide what to do.

db
Sorry only just seen this your post now. I am coming to the Halo integrated from a Peachtree 220se which i 'traded' in. The two amps are very different sounding. At exactly twice the price here in Australia i expected the Halo to impress me much more than it did. I can't really explain why, but the peachtree seemed a lot more dynamic sounding and 'punchier' for want of a better word.

But having said that i really upgraded to the Halo for the sub integration feature. Having hooked up a pair of SVS SB16's and high passing The LS50's at 80hz i am really starting to see the value in the Halo.

But for anyone just using their LS50's without subs the Peachtree Nova 220se is amazing value. Ive listen to many (6-7) amps now and the 220se was EASILY the best match.

Did you ever get the Halo integrated? thoughts?
Nick V likes this.
soretummy is offline  
post #2150 of 3252 Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post
Would a 12" Sub be too much for the LS50?
Nope. Ive got dual 16's with mine
soretummy is offline  
post #2151 of 3252 Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by soretummy View Post
Sorry only just seen this your post now. I am coming to the Halo integrated from a Peachtree 220se which i 'traded' in. Did you ever get the Halo integrated? thoughts?
After a lot of reading I bought an Ayre K-5xeMP that I'm using with the Proceed Amp 2 until I can find an Ayre VX-5. The sonic improvement in replacing the excellent Cary Cinema 12 processor with the Ayre preamp has been surprisingly substantial. The Halo Integrated would have made a tidy setup, but I doubt the sound would match that of the Ayre-Proceed pair I removed the sub manger and subs, so now everything fits in my equipment cabinet. I find the LF extension of the LS50s is sufficient that I don't miss the subs.

db
dbphd is offline  
post #2152 of 3252 Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
jerrolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
Hi Steve,
Its set to 80. It's not that it lacks detail or maybe imaging but whenever I would compare it to the veritas 6.3, I think I should say I really appreciate the veritas more. Compared to 6.3, the LS50 really sounds big but less detail or sound hallow. Even my wife who is not into this hobby surprisingly told me.the same thing as we really hear the big difference.
Also I don't listen to mp3 on.my system. Only Blu-ray concerts,/movie, flack, sacd and sometimes Spotify with extreme quality setting.

Danny
Have you tried solely listening to the LS50s for about a week then switching back to the Veritas 6.3s? Making sure theyre volume matched?
jerrolds is offline  
post #2153 of 3252 Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
jerrolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I've used two Velodyne HGS-10s and an SMS-1 bass manager with good results, so I'd argue for a pair of 10" subs. OTOH, have you tried the LS50s full range without a sub? You might find it entirely adequate. I took down my subs as part of decluttering the living room setup, and haven't missed them. What really did improve the sound was replacing a Cary Cinema 12 processor with an Ayre K-5xeMP preamp -- didn't know the LS50s could sound so good.

db
Yea Im feeding my LS50 LCR soundstage with an entry level Pioneer VSX824k AVR (80w per channel) - but upgrading to a processor/pre-amp -> amp was the last on my list.

I was going to get a 2nd (or bigger sub) then maybe new surrounds...THEN new processor/amps

This is for 90% Home Theater use

I listen at around 70-75db (according to my phone) so not reference..but not sure how well the AVR handles the 4ohm swing at around 100hz but i do cross them over to my SVS PB1000 at 80hz..maybe i should up the crossover to 100hz?
jerrolds is offline  
post #2154 of 3252 Old 02-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
Hi Steve,
Its set to 80. It's not that it lacks detail or maybe imaging but whenever I would compare it to the veritas 6.3, I think I should say I really appreciate the veritas more. Compared to 6.3, the LS50 really sounds big but less detail or sound hallow. Even my wife who is not into this hobby surprisingly told me.the same thing as we really hear the big difference.
Also I don't listen to mp3 on.my system. Only Blu-ray concerts,/movie, flack, sacd and sometimes Spotify with extreme quality setting.

Danny
Danny

You mentioned hollow sounding.
Try reversing one speakers wires.
The only time I have ever heard a
hollow sound is when one speaker
is wired out of phase.
It is a very simple test.

Steve
tr4a is offline  
post #2155 of 3252 Old 02-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
jerrolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My Pioneer VSX 824k AVR calibrates my LCR LS50s as "Large" and the crossover to 100hz - is it OK to leave it as "large"? I've set the crossover to 80hz - basically I'd like the LS50s to be used as much as they can before they drop off

Or should i set them to small and have the cross over at 100hz so that my SVS PB1000 does the heavy lifting?
jerrolds is offline  
post #2156 of 3252 Old 02-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post
My Pioneer VSX 824k AVR calibrates my LCR LS50s as "Large" and the crossover to 100hz - is it OK to leave it as "large"? I've set the crossover to 80hz - basically I'd like the LS50s to be used as much as they can before they drop off

Or should i set them to small and have the cross over at 100hz so that my SVS PB1000 does the heavy lifting?
Are you sure it calibrates as "large".
Large usually means full range as in no crossover.

Steve
tr4a is offline  
post #2157 of 3252 Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
jerrolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
Are you sure it calibrates as "large".
Large usually means full range as in no crossover.

Steve
Yea its weird, i figured that if its set to "large" LS50s would go full range while the sub kicks in at the crossover setting. I suppose i can test it with some test tones. It sets the surrounds (smaller 4.5" Energy Veritas vminis) to "small"

I could always set the crossover to 80hz and and set them to small. That or 100hz cuz the AVR is an entry level AVR might be better to save the hard stuff for the sub.
jerrolds is offline  
post #2158 of 3252 Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Gdaddy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbalt View Post
Hi Steve,
Its set to 80. It's not that it lacks detail or maybe imaging but whenever I would compare it to the veritas 6.3, I think I should say I really appreciate the veritas more. Compared to 6.3, the LS50 really sounds big but less detail or sound hallow. Even my wife who is not into this hobby surprisingly told me.the same thing as we really hear the big difference.
Also I don't listen to mp3 on.my system. Only Blu-ray concerts,/movie, flack, sacd and sometimes Spotify with extreme quality setting.

Danny
Comparing apples to apples... the Vertas 6.3 has two additional 6 1/2" woofers in each speaker and that total of 4 additional woofers would certainly add a fuller sound. It would seem a fair comparison would be the KEF R700 with the same number and size of speakers. Even the bookshelf R300 has a fuller/richer sound due to the addition of a single 6 1/2" woofer per speaker.

Last edited by Gdaddy66; 02-06-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Gdaddy66 is offline  
post #2159 of 3252 Old 02-07-2017, 01:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys!

Once again a question about possibly best amp for ls50. What’s your pick for 1500-2000 Euros?

thanks in advance for your help!
Luzny Rysiek is offline  
post #2160 of 3252 Old 02-07-2017, 05:52 AM
Newbie
 
razaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzny Rysiek View Post
Hi Guys!

Once again a question about possibly best amp for ls50. What’s your pick for 1500-2000 Euros?

thanks in advance for your help!
Happy with Hegel H80
razaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off