KEF LS50 Owners - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 401Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2191 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bill_B4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_ View Post
Hey.. so I'm a noob in the world of loudspeakers.. My first and current setup is KRK Rokit 5s studio monitors with a Dayton SUB-1200 connected to a Micca OriGen+. I've had this setup for almost a year now and I'm thinking of upgrading. The LS50s have caught my eye and I'm not sure if they're the right choice or not. These would be mostly used for music but from time to time movies/tv. I mostly listen to hip-hop/rap/edm but enjoy many other genres. I do enjoy a warm sound. My setup is in a small room currently, but I do switch my setup to larger rooms sometimes. I'm really not sure abou what is needed for loudspeakers. I assume a amp + DAC is a must? Or is the amp only required? Of course if the wireless LS50s fit in my budget I'd get them but unfortunately they're not in the budget right now. Someone local is currently selling a pair for $1000 CAD, says they're in excellent condition and have been used for a year. Would the NAD D3020 pair well with the LS50s? I plan on using these speakers for years to come. I'm 19 yr old student who hopes these will last me through my 20s lol. I'm just looking for some guidance into the world of loudspeakers or should I just stick to studio monitors... Any help is appreciated
No DAC or Amp required - both are built into the LS50W. You could continue using your sub - the only other thing you'll need is a source. That can be analog or digital (including USB) or Wireless (Bluetooth).

Last edited by Bill_B4; 03-13-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Bill_B4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2192 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Russ69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
I'm a LS-50 owner. Hope this doesn't offend anybody but there are other speakers that will work for you for less money. I'd keep shopping.
Lp85253 likes this.

__________________________

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
Russ69 is offline  
post #2193 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Jealous of you all . I listened to these at the store and WOW. I ended up buying the Focal Aria 905's as they were at the top of my budget.
KenM10759 and Lp85253 like this.
cojosh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2194 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_B4 View Post
No DAC or Amp required - both are built into the LS50. You could continue using your sub - the only other thing you'll need is a source. That can be analog or digital (including USB) or Wireless (Bluetooth).
That is if I go with the wireless correct? If I go with the active/original version I can save a decent amount of $ (Wireless = ~$3350 CAD). If I buy the LS50s (Used $1000) + NAD D3020 (~$1600 CAD) would I need anything else? Or do the LS50s not pair well with that amp/dac? I will also mostly be using these for near-field listening, would I still follow the 60 degree angle setup as studio monitors?

If anyone has an answer to this.. Are studio monitors just a gimmick? ie. could I setup my studio monitors just like speakers, forward facing, no 60 degree angle toward the listener and they would have the same sound as speakers? Sorry for asking so many questions lol
wake_ is offline  
post #2195 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_ View Post
That is if I go with the wireless correct? If I go with the active/original version I can save a decent amount of $ (Wireless = ~$3350 CAD). If I buy the LS50s (Used $1000) + NAD D3020 (~$1600 CAD) would I need anything else? Or do the LS50s not pair well with that amp/dac? I will also mostly be using these for near-field listening, would I still follow the 60 degree angle setup as studio monitors?

If anyone has an answer to this.. Are studio monitors just a gimmick? ie. could I setup my studio monitors just like speakers, forward facing, no 60 degree angle toward the listener and they would have the same sound as speakers? Sorry for asking so many questions lol
I will try to answer some of your questions.

The active version= Wireless version. To make the passive LS50 sound as good as the wireless you probably need to spend more than the cost of the Wireless version. However, the passive LS50 are still enjoyable with a decent amp. The NAD D3020 you listed doesnt cost 1600 CAD when I look online, more like 500. Maybe you mean a different NAD?

While KEF calls the ls50 monitors, they aren't truly just ''studio''monitors. They're more like HIFI speakers with good nearfield performance, a 60 degree angle is not necessary to make them sound good. Kef calls them monitors, since it's a more respectful word for bookshelfs. The LS50's are also listed under ''hifi speakers'' on the kef website.
Cyral is offline  
post #2196 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyral View Post
I will try to answer some of your questions.

The active version= Wireless version. To make the passive LS50 sound as good as the wireless you probably need to spend more than the cost of the Wireless version. However, the passive LS50 are still enjoyable with a decent amp. The NAD D3020 you listed doesnt cost 1600 CAD when I look online, more like 500. Maybe you mean a different NAD?

While KEF calls the ls50 monitors, they aren't truly just ''studio''monitors. They're more like HIFI speakers with good nearfield performance, a 60 degree angle is not necessary to make them sound good. Kef calls them monitors, since it's a more respectful word for bookshelfs. The LS50's are also listed under ''hifi speakers'' on the kef website.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting mixed up with the active vs passive versions lol. The ~$1600 was meant to be the total for the speakers + amp. I'm currently talking to a local seller that is selling the LS50s for $1000 + $500 for the NAD (~600 after tax). They looks brand new, seller mentioned there's no scratches/blemishes. Seller is upgrading to the wireless version so that is the reason for selling. I told the seller that I just need to decide on an amp. Is there better options than the NAD D3020? What amp would you recommend that is great for the price and pairs well with the LS50s? Can an amp determine the sound signature?
wake_ is offline  
post #2197 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For the money the NAD D3020 is a fine AMP. There are other options like the pioneer a50, but I don't have experience with amps in that price range myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Regarding the NAD D3020 + Kef ls50 combo:

''but toward the end of the listening period I hooked it up to a pair of glorious KEF LS50s ($1499/pair) and turned the volume up high. I was bowled over by the sound, which easily matched the best I'd ever heard at home, and reminded me in many ways of what I'd recently experienced with the tubed Croft Phono Integrated ($1895).
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/e...hJcV0SPkBuX.99''

I think the NAD d3020 will drive the Kefs fine, but don't expect to crank up the volume very loud. The kefs are a very power hungry speaker and the more power they get the better they will sound. You can always upgrade the amp in the future. Too bad the wireless version are so expensive in your country, for the money they're hard to beat in my country. ( had a great deal for 1800 euro )
Cyral is offline  
post #2198 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyral View Post
For the money the NAD D3020 is a fine AMP. There are other options like the pioneer a50, but I don't have experience with amps in that price range myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Regarding the NAD D3020 + Kef ls50 combo:

''but toward the end of the listening period I hooked it up to a pair of glorious KEF LS50s ($1499/pair) and turned the volume up high. I was bowled over by the sound, which easily matched the best I'd ever heard at home, and reminded me in many ways of what I'd recently experienced with the tubed Croft Phono Integrated ($1895).''

I think the NAD d3020 will drive the Kefs fine, but don't expect to crank up the volume very loud. The kefs are a very power hungry speaker and the more power they get the better they will sound. You can always upgrade the amp in the future. Too bad the wireless version are so expensive in your country, for the money they're hard to beat in my country. ( had a great deal for 1800 euro )
Thanks for finding that with review of the NAD LS50 combo. Didn't know that the LS50s were really power hungry. I'd like the option to crank the volume so maybe I should look elsewhere.. Looks like the NAD D3020 has a few reviews of it crapping out after a year of use and overheating issues. If anyone can recommend an amp that doesn't have any crazy issues and doesn't cost an arm and a leg please let me know
wake_ is offline  
post #2199 of 3218 Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I also forgot to mention that my source of audio will always be from my PC. I'm not sure if all amps support PC audio..
wake_ is offline  
post #2200 of 3218 Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bill_B4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'd look through this thread as well as others on the web regarding amp pairings for the LS50. The passive version can be very demanding of an amplifier an while it will sound "good" with most competent amps, it won't necessarily sound it's best. There's a reason KEFs pumping 230W into each cabinet of the LS50W.

If your budget is limited there are more affordable speaker options that would pair with a budget amp and possibly sound even better than the LS50s with that same budget amp. If it were my money I'd be looking at the Elac UB5 @ $500 and possibly their integrated amp @ $700, unless USB is the only way to connect your particular PC.
Bill_B4 is offline  
post #2201 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 AM
Member
 
ChristopherP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_B4 View Post
I'd look through this thread as well as others on the web regarding amp pairings for the LS50. The passive version can be very demanding of an amplifier an while it will sound "good" with most competent amps, it won't necessarily sound it's best. There's a reason KEFs pumping 230W into each cabinet of the LS50W.

If your budget is limited there are more affordable speaker options that would pair with a budget amp and possibly sound even better than the LS50s with that same budget amp. If it were my money I'd be looking at the Elac UB5 @ $500 and possibly their integrated amp @ $700, unless USB is the only way to connect your particular PC.
Wake_, Cyral, Bill_B4, et al;
I have been following along, appreciate, and agree with all the comments.
I'm still gobsmacked by LS50Ws. I got even more perspective recently. I was able to attended the Definitive Hi-Fi vendor show last week in Seattle, where some ridiculous 'Hi-Fi' systems were demonstrated.
I was fortunate to listen to some great music on a 'Hi-Fi'; a pair of full range floor standing Focal Sopra N°2 speakers, Audio Research tube amp VT80, their whole Foundation series line, including their new high end DAC 9, on HRS shelves. Oh, almost forgot, a $10K Turntable (didn't even look at the name), the cart alone was double the price of my receiver. Wow, the sound was glorious, 'just stereo' music. Snoop that I am I asked the price, (yes expensive) worth at least $80k they said. l am satisfied I got my reference system fix for the year.
I went home and happily listened to my 'mid-fi' system. Comparing the LS50Ws to my own passive LS50s at home with what I had heard at the show, I have to say the LS50Ws hold up well against the big boys, with a high res. source. As I said earlier, the LS50Ws at $2200US are by a large margin the bargain of the century, IMHO.

Wake_, If you don't have the funds

1st alternative:
I agree with Bill that there are other speaker/amp combinations which will do well.

To est'b the power requirement for a speaker there is always the old rule of thumb; use the rated wattage of the speaker (LS50 is about 100 watts, if I remember correctly) plus half again as much. Many used amps out there fit that requirement. If the amp can drive 8 ohm speakers at 150 watts (rms per channel two channels driven), I am sure you're in business with the passive LS50. Remember it's a rule of thumb. Some folks say the right amp at 70-80w can be better, or smoother, etc. YMMV.

Listening to the combinations is really the only good way to choose. I got by on >90w for some time, but power does make a difference, my new rig sounds better. If you have a powered sub-woofer crossed over at or above 60hz, mine are set to crossover at 80hz, you can save significant load on the amp. Run your PC out to it by any reasonable means and you will be in business.
2nd alternative:
Save up for them, or sell something etc to make up the budget difference: you only need your pc to run the LS50Ws. If you can get your PC out to, ethernet, wi-fi, or bluetooth, that's really all you need. No receiver or other boxes required. Your PC does do wi-fi, yes?

If I was only going stereo and listening to only digital music streams I'd dump all my gear and get a pair. My iPad and LS50Ws are to my mind an ultimate apartment system for music and anything else digital. As it is, I'll have a pair in a couple of years when I save up. Just my two cents.
best, Chris
Cyral likes this.
ChristopherP is offline  
post #2202 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bill_B4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherP View Post
If I was only going stereo and listening to only digital music streams I'd dump all my gear and get a pair. My iPad and LS50Ws are to my mind an ultimate apartment system for music and anything else digital. As it is, I'll have a pair in a couple of years when I save up. Just my two cents.
best, Chris
I'm dumping $7K worth of speakers & amplification (for sale here on the classifieds BTW) to use the LS50Ws as my primary 2-ch setup - they're that good. I sound like a broken record but every time I listen to them I continue to be impressed. Last night I listened to the Music Matters 33 copy of Dexter Gordon's "Our Man In Paris" followed up by the Tidal stream of Ryan Adams' "Prisoner" and both sounded extraordinary.

I was concerned about playing vinyl through the KEFs, I'll admit, but so far I have no complaints at all.

Bill
Pasoa2000, ChristopherP and Cyral like this.
Bill_B4 is offline  
post #2203 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
canali12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: wetcoast canada
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm actually torn between these and the new ls50 wls version.
basically going passive vs active setup.

i have nothing yet but my headfi rig:
also microrendu/ultracaps.
most of my music is on my laptop (tidal hifi, ripped cds and some 24/196)
sticking with digital, no need for phono.

i once had a room rig (B&W 805s etc) but sold it off many yrs ago, going to headfi
(which i still enjoy)...just starting out again rebuilding my room rig and am undecided
to go with the passive ls50 and build up from there (more expense perhaps with trying
to match a good amp, dac and interconnects $$)..or save the hassles and go active speakers
like the new ls 50 wls or something from dynaudio....the additional thought of having the amp/dac
matched/calibrated well already for the speakers makes it that much less of a decision to have to make.

still deciding...

feedback is welcomed.

Last edited by canali12; 03-16-2017 at 03:24 PM.
canali12 is offline  
post #2204 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bill_B4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali12 View Post
I'm actually torn between these and the new ls50 wls version.
basically going passive vs active setup.

i once had a room rig (B&W 805s etc) but sold it off many yrs ago, going to headfi
(which i still enjoy)...just starting out again rebuilding my room rig and am undecided
to go with the passive ls50 and build up from there (more expense perhaps with trying
to match a good amp, dac and interconnects $$)..or save the hassles and go active speakers
like the new ls 50 wls or something from dynaudio....the additional thought of having the amp/dac
matched/calibrated well already for the speakers makes it that much less of a decision to have to make.

still deciding...

feedback is welcomed.
I ran the passive LS50 with a McIntosh MA6300, Oppo HA-1 and dual Dayton SUB800s for close to four years. That combo doesn't hold a candle to the LS50W on their own.

Prior to the passive LS50 I ran a pair of Dynaudio BM5AmkII with a Benchmark DAC1 USB and then DAC2HGC between them and my Mac. It's been a while but I still feel the LS50W sounds better to me. It's got the bass extension of the Dynaudios with better imaging and improves upon the passive LS50's mids and highs. I remember when I went from the Dyns to the KEFs I missed the bass of the former but not their politeness in the highs. I felt the KEFs were an even clearer window into the recordings. The Wireless version satisfies the extension in the lower registers, enough that I'm not as in a rush to get a new sub as I thought I'd be.

Granted the Dyns were a prosumer model with less flexibility than the LS50W but perhaps their latest consumer offerings match up better.

Just my $0.02.
Bill_B4 is offline  
post #2205 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Member
 
ChristopherP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_B4 View Post
I'm dumping $7K worth of speakers & amplification (for sale here on the classifieds BTW) to use the LS50Ws as my primary 2-ch setup - they're that good. I sound like a broken record but every time I listen to them I continue to be impressed. Last night I listened to the Music Matters 33 copy of Dexter Gordon's "Our Man In Paris" followed up by the Tidal stream of Ryan Adams' "Prisoner" and both sounded extraordinary.

I was concerned about playing vinyl through the KEFs, I'll admit, but so far I have no complaints at all.

Bill
Bill, I admire your decision. As you implement your new system please keep us posted.
best, Chris
ChristopherP is offline  
post #2206 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the LS50 wireless. I hope to audition them some day.

Having said that, I can say that I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from my standard LS50's.

I'm currently using them in an extensively treated room with a Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp, Blue Circle BC-24 hybrid power amp and Cambridge DacMagic + (hopefully soon to be LH Labs Vi DAC Tube ∞).

This system does double duty as a 2 channel and HT system, so if I want the speakers crossed to a sub I can switch to the HT Bypass input on the preamp to engage Anthem Room Correction and my Mirage BPS 400 subwoofer via my Anthem MRX 300 receiver.

I personally like the flexibility of separate Amp/Preamp/DAC (especially DAC) as I have a large selection of high res DSD files, SACD's and DVD-Audio discs and the Vi Tube will have MQA functionality as well. I might try a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 in my system for 2 channel room correction or sell the Vi DAC Tube (if it ever arrives) and buy the DSPeaker X4 (if it ever comes to market).

I think I enjoy messing with the gear in my system too much to move to an all-in-one solution.
ChristopherP likes this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
Nick V is offline  
post #2207 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Member
 
ChristopherP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali12 View Post
I'm actually torn between these and the new ls50 wls version.
basically going passive vs active setup.

i once had a room rig (B&W 805s etc) but sold it off many yrs ago, going to headfi
(which i still enjoy)...just starting out again rebuilding my room rig and am undecided
to go with the passive ls50 and build up from there (more expense perhaps with trying
to match a good amp, dac and interconnects $$)..or save the hassles and go active speakers
like the new ls 50 wls or something from dynaudio....the additional thought of having the amp/dac
matched/calibrated well already for the speakers makes it that much less of a decision to have to make.

still deciding...

feedback is welcomed.
Two useful questions to ask: Are you committed to existing gear or media? What analog capability?
Since you don't have much existing gear, and it sounds like your analog requirements are low, the I/O capability for a stereo is well covered in the systems you mentioned.

Have you listened to these systems using your own source material? I am sure you already know it's necessary to listen to the configuration you intend in the way you intend to use it.

The LS50Ws are optimized for digital audio delivery, so analog maybe the only constraint. If you only have a turntable. There are many analog phono pre-amps which can deliver output to the speaker's analog inputs, otherwise line level input is supported and a passive 4 into 1 switch is all that's needed to maximize the analog port. Using TV to switch inputs through optical is of course another means.

I heard the optical, wi-fi, and bluetooth inputs. Cleanest bluetooth I've heard. My headfi system is an iPad Pro or iPhone 6, Kef M400 headphones plugged into an Audioquest Dragonfly through the usb-lightning adapter. This produces good quality sound. Compare that direct system to iPhone feeding the LS50W over bluetooth and I didn't hear any added artifacts, noise or junk . Just clear sound.
Although undoubtedly the speakers sounded better, I was surprised that from 10-12' , bluetooth speakers were so clean. Again YMMV.

Listen to the setups your considering to break any tie.
best, Chris
Pasoa2000 likes this.
ChristopherP is offline  
post #2208 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Member
 
ChristopherP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the LS50 wireless. I hope to audition them some day.

Having said that, I can say that I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from my standard LS50's.

I'm currently using them in an extensively treated room with a Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp, Blue Circle BC-24 hybrid power amp and Cambridge DacMagic + (hopefully soon to be LH Labs Vi DAC Tube ∞).

This system does double duty as a 2 channel and HT system, so if I want the speakers crossed to a sub I can switch to the HT Bypass input on the preamp to engage Anthem Room Correction and my Mirage BPS 400 subwoofer via my Anthem MRX 300 receiver.

I personally like the flexibility of separate Amp/Preamp/DAC (especially DAC) as I have a large selection of high res DSD files, SACD's and DVD-Audio discs and the Vi Tube will have MQA functionality as well. I might try a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 in my system for 2 channel room correction or sell the Vi DAC Tube (if it ever arrives) and buy the DSPeaker X4 (if it ever comes to market).

I think I enjoy messing with the gear in my system too much to move to an all-in-one solution.
Your system sounds amazing. I admire the honesty.
Nick V likes this.
ChristopherP is offline  
post #2209 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
canali12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: wetcoast canada
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherP View Post
Two useful questions to ask: Are you committed to existing gear or media? What analog capability?
Since you don't have much existing gear, and it sounds like your analog requirements are low, the I/O capability for a stereo is well covered in the systems you mentioned.

Have you listened to these systems using your own source material? I am sure you already know it's necessary to listen to the configuration you intend in the way you intend to use it.

The LS50Ws are optimized for digital audio delivery, so analog maybe the only constraint. If you only have a turntable. There are many analog phono pre-amps which can deliver output to the speaker's analog inputs, otherwise line level input is supported and a passive 4 into 1 switch is all that's needed to maximize the analog port. Using TV to switch inputs through optical is of course another means.

I heard the optical, wi-fi, and bluetooth inputs. Cleanest bluetooth I've heard. My headfi system is an iPad Pro or iPhone 6, Kef M400 headphones plugged into an Audioquest Dragonfly through the usb-lightning adapter. This produces good quality sound. Compare that direct system to iPhone feeding the LS50W over bluetooth and I didn't hear any added artifacts, noise or junk . Just clear sound.
Although undoubtedly the speakers sounded better, I was surprised that from 10-12' , bluetooth speakers were so clean. Again YMMV.

Listen to the setups your considering to break any tie.
best, Chris
thanks for your thoughts, folks.

sorry i wasn't clear on my equipment:
i have nothing yet but my headfi rig as i went away from audio
and just re entered the club again a yr or so ago: into headfi, first:
- microrendu/ultracaps.
most of my music is on my laptop (tidal hifi, ripped cds and some 24/196)
sticking with digital..no need for phono

Last edited by canali12; 03-17-2017 at 08:21 AM.
canali12 is offline  
post #2210 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bill_B4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
@canali12 - @Nick V raises some really important considerations when it comes to being locked into an all-in-one solution like the LS50W. You do sacrifice flexibility for simplicity as well as some "purity" of signal if you will. Would it have been even better for KEF to make the DAC section modular to help future-proof it a little? No doubt. Will analog diehards scoff at the notion of digitizing their turntable's signal? You betcha.

I would encourage anyone contemplating the move to active speakers to pause and honestly evaluate THEIR situation. Some will be better off sticking with the passive version, which are still a fantastic speaker.
Cyral likes this.
Bill_B4 is offline  
post #2211 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
canali12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: wetcoast canada
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
thanks, again...it was Darko's review that first made me consider the active versions as something to consider (now also considering a used pair of devialet phantom silvers).

reason I'm considering an active rig (vs the passive route) is, unlike many
of you with your nice rigs, i sold all mine yrs ago, went away from audio and returned
to it only in portable form (cans, iems, chord mojo, etc).
so i have a nice fresh, blank slate upon which to move forward.
so am still undecided.


KEF LS50 Wireless review & DAR’s Product of the Year 2016

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...the-year-2016/
lots of interesting comments, too: 290 so far.

Last edited by canali12; 03-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.
canali12 is offline  
post #2212 of 3218 Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,384
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the LS50 wireless. I hope to audition them some day.

Having said that, I can say that I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from my standard LS50's.

I'm currently using them in an extensively treated room with a Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp, Blue Circle BC-24 hybrid power amp and Cambridge DacMagic + (hopefully soon to be LH Labs Vi DAC Tube ∞).

This system does double duty as a 2 channel and HT system, so if I want the speakers crossed to a sub I can switch to the HT Bypass input on the preamp to engage Anthem Room Correction and my Mirage BPS 400 subwoofer via my Anthem MRX 300 receiver.

I personally like the flexibility of separate Amp/Preamp/DAC (especially DAC) as I have a large selection of high res DSD files, SACD's and DVD-Audio discs and the Vi Tube will have MQA functionality as well. I might try a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 in my system for 2 channel room correction or sell the Vi DAC Tube (if it ever arrives) and buy the DSPeaker X4 (if it ever comes to market).

I think I enjoy messing with the gear in my system too much to move to an all-in-one solution.
Item in bold refers. You might be interested in the miniDSP DDRC-88A with the Bass Management plug-in that has Dirac Live! room equalization for a more cost effective solution. There is an active thread for the DDRC-88A at AVS and one can check it out here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-live-box.html

The idea is to craft a curve that follows that natural frequency response of the KEF LS50 within your listening room environment.
Nick V likes this.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
post #2213 of 3218 Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I started my speaker selection about a year ago and have been slowly adding. Last year I added 2x KEF Ci200RR-THX ceiling speakers, 2x KEF Ci200QL wall speakers for surround and a SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer. I was about to get an Atmos AVR but saw the LS50's on sale in the color that I wanted, frosted black, so I picked up 4x of them for my LCR. My current AVR, Yamaha HTR-5063, claims to be 90 watts x7 channel, but I find that hard to believe. I really had to turn up the volume with LS50's when compared to the 15 year old Polk book cases I had before. Anyway, I just wanted to share and contribute a little since I've learned so much from all the people on this forum.

Even though the LS50's are completely under powered in my system, I still hear a bit more clarity. The low mids were so clear at first I though my sub was turned up too much. Its like I was missing them completely from my previous speakers. I'm looking forward to getting them hooked to more power to see what they can really do.

My future purchases are

2x more 2x KEF Ci200RR-THX for a 5.1.4 systems
Emotiva XPA Gen 3 6 channel for surrounds and ceiling
Parasound A31 for LCR or 2nd Emotiva 3 channel for LCR

I'm still not decided on the AVR. I'm considering Yamaha and Antham

Half the fun of this hobby is planning the next purchase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	2033073  
JamesSF is offline  
post #2214 of 3218 Old 03-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSF View Post
I started my speaker selection about a year ago and have been slowly adding. Last year I added 2x KEF Ci200RR-THX ceiling speakers, 2x KEF Ci200QL wall speakers for surround and a SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer. I was about to get an Atmos AVR but saw the LS50's on sale in the color that I wanted, frosted black, so I picked up 4x of them for my LCR. My current AVR, Yamaha HTR-5063, claims to be 90 watts x7 channel, but I find that hard to believe. I really had to turn up the volume with LS50's when compared to the 15 year old Polk book cases I had before. Anyway, I just wanted to share and contribute a little since I've learned so much from all the people on this forum.

Even though the LS50's are completely under powered in my system, I still hear a bit more clarity. The low mids were so clear at first I though my sub was turned up too much. Its like I was missing them completely from my previous speakers. I'm looking forward to getting them hooked to more power to see what they can really do.

My future purchases are

2x more 2x KEF Ci200RR-THX for a 5.1.4 systems
Emotiva XPA Gen 3 6 channel for surrounds and ceiling
Parasound A31 for LCR or 2nd Emotiva 3 channel for LCR

I'm still not decided on the AVR. I'm considering Yamaha and Antham

Half the fun of this hobby is planning the next purchase
Nice system! If you don't already have the ports plugged on your LS50's, you should try it. They should perform better that way with your configuration.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
Nick V is offline  
post #2215 of 3218 Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Nice system! If you don't already have the ports plugged on your LS50's, you should try it. They should perform better that way with your configuration.
Yeah, I didn't even try with them unplugged. I was really hoping to find a sealed or front ported speaker, but for the price range I was aiming for and the size I couldn't find any I liked. This isn't based on experience, but from what I read, since I'm using a sub, the back port shouldn't cause too much trouble. Currently I have the cross over set to 100Hz. Once I get a new AVR and amp, I plan to get a mic and start testing with REW. Then I will start experimenting with the cross over and room treatments. I'm curious if adding acoustic foam paneling to the inside of the cabinet around the speakers will make a difference.
JamesSF is offline  
post #2216 of 3218 Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tractng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Socal
Posts: 1,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have a single LS50 for sale. This was used for center speaker duty. Asking $500 shipped. Let me know if you interested.
tractng is offline  
post #2217 of 3218 Old 03-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
swett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wall mounts and powerline networking?

I'm planning to buy a pair of LS50 wireless in white in the hopes of wall mounting them.

Two questions:
1) Does anyone have recommended wall-mounts for the white models? The best I've found are these from B-Tech
2) Has anyone used a powerline networking adapter to allow these to only be plugged into power? Any suggestions? I wish this was a feature they included in the speakers, as it removes two cables from a typical connection, but oh well.

Thanks for all the information, reading the discussion in this thread has been great!
swett is offline  
post #2218 of 3218 Old 03-19-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Powerline adapter is used for transfering LAN signal through electrical wiring in your house...not for powering devices.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
donktard is offline  
post #2219 of 3218 Old 03-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
tr4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rohnert Park CA
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 704
B-Tech Mounts

Here are mine mounted. I see that Amazon no longer has them. I purchased them for $55.
With them mounted this close to the wall you will need to leave the port bungs in.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370 copy.jpg
Views:	1601
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2036833  
canali12 likes this.
tr4a is online now  
post #2220 of 3218 Old 03-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Newbie
 
swett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Powerline adapter is used for transfering LAN signal through electrical wiring in your house...not for powering devices.
Understood. But the speakers need both power and ethernet, and in my case, it's easier to plug them into the wall than plug them in and run ethernet between them. And I can use powerline networking for my Roku, if I'm adding it anyway.
swett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off