398Likes

post #2431 of 3216 Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Parasound Halo Integrated, or NAD C368/C388 with BlueOS module.

Your LS50's can sound great in either room, though the larger room might need dual subs more than the smaller one.
I've read some website reviews on the Parasound which made it sound like it wasn't the best thing to put with the LS50. Not sure how much stock to put in those though.

I keep reading favorable things about Redgum integrated amps but they are pricey but within budget. Just wondering if LS50 + Redgum would sound as good as LS50W. The wireless version would be the cheaper option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked: 1931
The LS50 Wireless is highly likely to be an overall better cost/performance ratio than LS50 passive and an amplifier. With the wireless version you get 200 watts to the midrange driver and 30 watts per channel to the tweeter. The amps, electronic crossover and DSP are carefully engineered to be an ideal match to the speaker's drivers and cabinet, and almost every report published confirms success.

I've also read where some folks don't think the Parasound Halo Integrated is a good match for LS50. There won't be any disagreement from me, everyone is entitled to what their own ears hear. I've listened to that pairing and can't fault it in any way. I've also heard the NAD C368, and a $20,000 Luxman tube amp running LS50. They all sound great to me!
canali12 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #2433 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
I've also read where some folks don't think the Parasound Halo Integrated is a good match for LS50. There won't be any disagreement from me, everyone is entitled to what their own ears hear. I've listened to that pairing and can't fault it in any way. I've also heard the NAD C368, and a $20,000 Luxman tube amp running LS50. They all sound great to me!
In my experience the LS50s are quite revealing of the electronics that drive them. The sound was excellent with a Cary Cinema 12 processor and Parasound A 21 amp, but even better with an Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp. Of course, a lot of bucks separate those two setups. I have driven the LS50s with Cary CAD 572 monoblocks with surprisingly good results. The Ayre preamp and amp moved the sound a bit in that direction. If I had to argue the case, having used both A 21s and A 23s to drive LS50s, I'd argue that A 21s and LS 50s are a fine and appropriate match, and a good place to settle -- I envision using the Ayre electronics with Blade 2s, the LS50's big bother, in the future.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
In my experience the LS50s are quite revealing of the electronics that drive them. The sound was excellent with a Cary Cinema 12 processor and Parasound A 21 amp, but even better with an Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp. Of course, a lot of bucks separate those two setups. I have driven the LS50s with Cary CAD 572 monoblocks with surprisingly good results. The Ayre preamp and amp moved the sound a bit in that direction. If I had to argue the case, having used both A 21s and A 23s to drive LS50s, I'd argue that A 21s and LS 50s are a fine and appropriate match, and a good place to settle -- I envision using the Ayre electronics with Blade 2s, the LS50's big bother, in the future.

db
Yeah, I'm not in a position to be spending $4-8k on amps/dacs so maybe I'd get a better setup for my money with the LS50W's. The LS50's just arrived and I'll test them but I'll be ordering the LS50W. I'll see if I can find a decent amp to hook the LS50's up to and do a comparison.
post #2435 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
anyone experiment with power cables or regenerators (ps audio etc)?
i've emailed them anyway for recommendations, esp given i'll be plugging in my oled tv
and headphone tube amp around the same area.
post #2436 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarynth View Post
I've been eyeballing the LS50's for a few years and decided to take the plunge on the $999 black friday deal. I get the speakers tomorrow but have nothing to power them

This is part of what's prevented me from purchasing them in the past, I knew I wanted to try out the LS50's but I was never able to settle on an Amp/DAC. I've spent countless hours reading reviews and just got more confused. Perhaps someone who's done more research than I can come help me out.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. A subwoofer output is a must, I want to be able to add one down the road.

2. An integrated amp would be preferred for simplicity sake. Worst case scenario I think I can use my Chord Mojo as a DAC.

3. A headphone output would be cool but not required. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's, having more things to plug them into is always nice.

4. A price under $2500 a must.

Another question. These speakers will be setup in my computer/game room, roughly 11x12 with 8ft ceilings. I have a living room 18x18 with 20ft ceilings, how would these speakers sound in there if I added a sub?

I appreciate the help!
Congrats! I just did the same thing. Purchased the last two LS50s to complete my 7.2.2 system. I am driving my system with Yamaha power. The RX-A3060 which has more than enough power to drive these speakers. I am very happy with the five I have already. The AVR amps have excellent capability even at two channel. I am in the process of moving and have had the amp set up running a pair of speakers for internet jazz radio for the last month. the machine just plays away without issues at real estate listening levels (low low). When I'm home I just crank it up. There are also very good deals in amplification on the used market.
You should be able to buy an 80-100 watt stereo amp for well within your budget. A powered sub-woofer might also be obtained as well if you can find a deal on the amp. I have an old Yamaha 50 watt integrated which I tried with the LS50 pair. It works, but higher power is really necessary for them to sound effortless as they should.

Have fun with them and enjoy the journey.
Cheers, Chris

Best, Chris
post #2437 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherP View Post
Congrats! I just did the same thing. Purchased the last two LS50s to complete my 7.2.2 system. I am driving my system with Yamaha power. The RX-A3060 which has more than enough power to drive these speakers. I am very happy with the five I have already. The AVR amps have excellent capability even at two channel. I am in the process of moving and have had the amp set up running a pair of speakers for internet jazz radio for the last month. the machine just plays away without issues at real estate listening levels (low low). When I'm home I just crank it up. There are also very good deals in amplification on the used market.
You should be able to buy an 80-100 watt stereo amp for well within your budget. A powered sub-woofer might also be obtained as well if you can find a deal on the amp. I have an old Yamaha 50 watt integrated which I tried with the LS50 pair. It works, but higher power is really necessary for them to sound effortless as they should.

Have fun with them and enjoy the journey.
Cheers, Chris
Thanks. I want to understand what are some tell tale signs that you hear that tells you that the amplifier power is not sufficient at that volume level and the ls50s are straining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #2438 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
Anyone have thoughts about long run (8m) of RCA cable vs balanced and convert to RCA near speaker for the active LS50w?
It's too bad the W doesn't have balanced inputs, that would of been nice. Does your source have balanced outputs? There are cheaper ways to do it, but the best is a transformer based unit, like Jensen's Isomax series.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/pi-xx/
post #2439 of 3216 Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Thanks. I want to understand what are some tell tale signs that you hear that tells you that the amplifier power is not sufficient at that volume level and the ls50s are straining.

There are folks here that are much more knowledgeable than I am about this, there are many comments on this topic.
For myself, I wouldn't say it's the speakers straining, they don't strain. You can hear the amps let the side down. For me, the speakers when run full range (or without the subs), sounded less full 'thin' in the lower mid-range and bass on music I new really well. These speakers are recognized as full range capable in the specs. I was lucky to hear the same music on a properly driven set at a dealer, and when mine didn't sound quite as full, I ditched my old 70-80 watt Yamaha AVR (real old +10 yrs) and upgraded. Immediately heard significantly better sound, (also the DACs are much better), with tight control throughout, and solid bass.
The new AVRs are underrated for stereo. I do prefer separates, but budget limited my choices ($1600 for pre-amps, doc, pwr. amps, etc.). I really think that I am about 65% of the way to the best the speakers can sound. But my budget is 100% there and I am very happy with the compromise. I know that if resources become available I can add power amps to the mains, and the speakers will only sound better.
I also have to compared my system with the amazing LS50Ws. So, even though the old rule of thumb for speakers is to base the power on the specs, would say 80-100 rms watts should be about right, my Yamaha running stereo is 150 rms, and sounds amazing. The LS50Ws use dedicated 200 watt amps on the mid-woofer and 30 watts on the tweeter. This gives a clue to what Kef thinks drives these speaker well. The of course take every advantage of the integration so perhaps active crossovers are also involved. But in the end, I think Kef is providing needed head room. Much as been written by other smarter/more experienced folks here on this and is worth the read.
Bottom line: Calibrated room, High Quality sources, clean power, good amplification, and the speakers reward you with all you can handle. I have heard better speakers, but I couldn't afford them, putting 7 of these babies to work will provide timbre matched, completely seamless surround sound. In stereo mode the AVR gets me a sound stage that is very wide broad and clean. It sounds engaging, and entertaining, delivering music the way much larger systems do for significantly less money.

If money were not limited, I'd get the Reference 1s (7K pr.) and run them around the room, with mono blocks for power on each one, wouldn't that be fun.
KenM10759 likes this.

Best, Chris
post #2440 of 3216 Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are folks here that are much more knowledgeable than I am about this, there are many comments on this topic.
For myself, I wouldn't say it's the speakers straining, they don't strain. You can hear the amps let the side down. For me, the speakers when run full range (or without the subs), sounded less full 'thin' in the lower mid-range and bass on music I new really well. These speakers are recognized as full range capable in the specs. I was lucky to hear the same music on a properly driven set at a dealer, and when mine didn't sound quite as full, I ditched my old 70-80 watt Yamaha AVR (real old +10 yrs) and upgraded. Immediately heard significantly better sound, (also the DACs are much better), with tight control throughout, and solid bass.
The new AVRs are underrated for stereo. I do prefer separates, but budget limited my choices ($1600 for pre-amps, doc, pwr. amps, etc.). I really think that I am about 65% of the way to the best the speakers can sound. But my budget is 100% there and I am very happy with the compromise. I know that if resources become available I can add power amps to the mains, and the speakers will only sound better.
I also have to compared my system with the amazing LS50Ws. So, even though the old rule of thumb for speakers is to base the power on the specs, would say 80-100 rms watts should be about right, my Yamaha running stereo is 150 rms, and sounds amazing. The LS50Ws use dedicated 200 watt amps on the mid-woofer and 30 watts on the tweeter. This gives a clue to what Kef thinks drives these speaker well. The of course take every advantage of the integration so perhaps active crossovers are also involved. But in the end, I think Kef is providing needed head room. Much as been written by other smarter/more experienced folks here on this and is worth the read.
Bottom line: Calibrated room, High Quality sources, clean power, good amplification, and the speakers reward you with all you can handle. I have heard better speakers, but I couldn't afford them, putting 7 of these babies to work will provide timbre matched, completely seamless surround sound. In stereo mode the AVR gets me a sound stage that is very wide broad and clean. It sounds engaging, and entertaining, delivering music the way much larger systems do for significantly less money.

If money were not limited, I'd get the Reference 1s (7K pr.) and run them around the room, with mono blocks for power on each one, wouldn't that be fun.
Thanks. Looks like the only way to know if better amp will reduce the "thin" sound, is to try one and then see. I currently use a Parasound 100 watts per channel high current Class A/B stereo amp. Not sure if I hear any thin sound. But then, how would I know without a comparison.

post #2441 of 3216 Old 11-27-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like the only way to know if better amp will reduce the "thin" sound, is to try one and then see. I currently use a Parasound 100 watts per channel high current Class A/B stereo amp. Not sure if I hear any thin sound. But then, how would I know without a comparison.

Your Parasound should be more than enough power to drive the speakers.
I wouldn’t worry about thinness, or really much of anything. I’d get them up and running and not look back.
Enjoy the journey,

Best, Chris
post #2442 of 3216 Old 11-27-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your Parasound should be more than enough power to drive the speakers.
I wouldn’t worry about thinness, or really much of anything. I’d get them up and running and not look back.
Enjoy the journey,
The Parasound is about 15 years old. But the Parasound factory technician stated that there had not been significant changes from my model to the current A21.

But again, many of these effects can only be gauged by side by side listening tests.

I do have another lower end AVR (Yamaha 100 watts class D ). I will try to compare the sound with that and see if i can hear any difference. I do use a SVS sub as well so that may be helping.

May be others can comment on how to tell if buying an anthem or similar amp will improve the sound.

post #2443 of 3216 Old 11-28-2017, 11:39 AM

I got the LS50's set up on my computer desk. I'm getting the LS50W's tomorrow so I can compare.

They'll be sitting on my computer desk so I think I'll be needing a way to isolate them. I imagine the best isolation possible would be if they were simply floating in the air with nothing touching them. Since I probably wont be able to come up with an anti-gravity device what is the next best option?

I know there are plenty of "isolation" devices on the market. They seem more like dampening devices as they are made of solid non-moving materials. Some vibrations will still get through because of this. Does anyone know of anything that would isolate the speakers more effectively?
post #2444 of 3216 Old 11-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I got the LS50's set up on my computer desk. I'm getting the LS50W's tomorrow so I can compare.

They'll be sitting on my computer desk so I think I'll be needing a way to isolate them. I imagine the best isolation possible would be if they were simply floating in the air with nothing touching them. Since I probably wont be able to come up with an anti-gravity device what is the next best option?

I know there are plenty of "isolation" devices on the market. They seem more like dampening devices as they are made of solid non-moving materials. Some vibrations will still get through because of this. Does anyone know of anything that would isolate the speakers more effectively?
see isoacoustics stands...i've ordered some...will use them even on kef stands.
http://www.isoacoustics.com/

i've ordered the nicer looking 'aperta' aluminum ones from amazon...best deal i got
cdn$229 shipped
post #2445 of 3216 Old 11-28-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 5644
Quote:

I had the LS50s paired with a Parasound P5/A23 combo and I thought it sounded fabulous.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #2446 of 3216 Old 11-28-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canali12 View Post
see isoacoustics stands...i've ordered some...will use them even on kef stands.
http://www.isoacoustics.com/

i've ordered the nicer looking 'aperta' aluminum ones from amazon...best deal i got
cdn$229 shipped
I almost ordered those yesterday. I came across an interesting thread today while researching. Look at Barry's insights on the matter. It's almost been a decade since this thread was started but it's an interesting concept.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-gurus.154013/
post #2447 of 3216 Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
I've been eyeballing the LS50's for a few years and decided to take the plunge on the $999 black friday deal. I get the speakers tomorrow but have nothing to power them

This is part of what's prevented me from purchasing them in the past, I knew I wanted to try out the LS50's but I was never able to settle on an Amp/DAC. I've spent countless hours reading reviews and just got more confused. Perhaps someone who's done more research than I can come help me out.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. A subwoofer output is a must, I want to be able to add one down the road.

2. An integrated amp would be preferred for simplicity sake. Worst case scenario I think I can use my Chord Mojo as a DAC.

3. A headphone output would be cool but not required. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's, having more things to plug them into is always nice.

4. A price under $2500 a must.

Another question. These speakers will be setup in my computer/game room, roughly 11x12 with 8ft ceilings. I have a living room 18x18 with 20ft ceilings, how would these speakers sound in there if I added a sub?

I appreciate the help!
I suggest an Outlaw Audio RR2160 paired with a Bluesound Node 2. I have the NAD C368 with the BlOS2 module now and I am returning it for the combo I just mentioned. They come out to the same price. I want to use a sub and the NAD high pass options are useless. Outlaw has real analog bass management. The Node 2 has a headphone amp I believe.

My speakers are Ascend Sierra-2's

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #2448 of 3216 Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
I suggest an Outlaw Audio RR2160 paired with a Bluesound Node 2. I have the NAD C368 with the BlOS2 module now and I am returning it for the combo I just mentioned. They come out to the same price. I want to use a sub and the NAD high pass options are useless. Outlaw has real analog bass management. The Node 2 has a headphone amp I believe.

My speakers are Ascend Sierra-2's
The Bluesound Node 2 does indeed have a headphone output, but just a 3.5mm rather than the more common 1/4" socket.

I'm curious about the C368's bass "mismanagement", please tell more. I thought the most recent firmware update helped. Still I think you're right that a simple, seemingly non-adjustable 80hz crossover is weak.

The BlueOS in any of their players is a terrific user interface. Not perfect, but the continual (free) updates keep working toward that.

Nice speakers, BTW.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #2449 of 3216 Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
The Bluesound Node 2 does indeed have a headphone output, but just a 3.5mm rather than the more common 1/4" socket.

I'm curious about the C368's bass "mismanagement", please tell more. I thought the most recent firmware update helped. Still I think you're right that a simple, seemingly non-adjustable 80hz crossover is weak.

The BlueOS in any of their players is a terrific user interface. Not perfect, but the continual (free) updates keep working toward that.

Nice speakers, BTW.
I really wanted to keep the C368 so I emailed NAD to see if there was any chance of them updating the firmware to give more flexibility with the filters and here is the response I got.

"...Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Center regarding your C368 High Pass Filter. Please be advised that because the filter is in the analog domain it would require a hardware redesign to add more crossover features. The filter we use in the C 368/388 is a Linkwitz Riley response filter (in phase at the crossover point) centered at 80Hz. We find this to be a good choice for the majority of smaller speakers that benefit most from adding a subwoofer. Our more expensive Direct Digital amps perform this function in the digital domain where different filters are configured in software and we are able to include more choices for setting filters.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Jackie..."

Heartbreaking but it is what it is...

I have the Node 2 already and it sounds great. Using its built in DAC and running RCA's to the C368. Outlaw gets here Thursday.

Yes, I love these speakers. Thank you
KenM10759 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #2450 of 3216 Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I almost ordered those yesterday. I came across an interesting thread today while researching. Look at Barry's insights on the matter. It's almost been a decade since this thread was started but it's an interesting concept.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-gurus.154013/
I used Barry's set up guide for my Ls50s, works great for my 2 channel system (Kefs on top of subs). Did the 29% version:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

The only thing I did differently is the toe-in advice, as the KEFs can be a little hot if toed-in too much. I run mine with no toe-in.

Be that as it may, I also use the aluminum Isos under the KEFs, with the tilt set up at 6 degrees. That also works great in my room. I highly recommend them.

Last edited by jkhome; 11-29-2017 at 07:15 AM.
post #2451 of 3216 Old 11-29-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post
I used Barry's set up guide for my Ls50s, works great for my 2 channel system (Kefs on top of subs). Did the 29% version:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

The only thing I did differently is the toe-in advice, as the KEFs can be a little hot if toed-in too much. I run mine with no toe-in.

Be that as it may, I also use the aluminum Isos under the KEFs, with the tilt set up at 6 degrees. That also works great in my room. I highly recommend them.
I feel that isolators were needed in older speakers because their cabinets were resonant. Even at that time they were of partial use and were never scientifically proven to make much of a difference.

With LS50. Their use is even more questionable since the speaker enclosure is so solid. Often sub enclosure is a lot more resonant. So it may not be advisable to put ls50 on top of a sub. You don't want vibrations from sub to reach the ls50s. Just my two cents.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 11-29-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #2452 of 3216 Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

db

Having owned A21 and A23 (as well as A51 and A31) at the same time, I would say that A21 is superior to A23 with ANY speaker...any of the several I tried with them anyway. A lot of folks make the mistake of thinking A23 is just a "less powerful" A21, being from the same line and all. Nothing could be further from the truth. A21 is just a superior amp from top to bottom. The only other amp (other than JC1) Parasound makes that sounds nearly as good is A31. A51 is no slouch either, but the thing's a space heater.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #2453 of 3216 Old 11-29-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Having owned A21 and A23 (as well as A51 and A31) at the same time, I would say that A21 is superior to A23 with ANY speaker...any of the several I tried with them anyway. A lot of folks make the mistake of thinking A23 is just a "less powerful" A21, being from the same line and all. Nothing could be further from the truth. A21 is just a superior amp from top to bottom. The only other amp (other than JC1) Parasound makes that sounds nearly as good is A31. A51 is no slouch either, but the thing's a space heater.
I use three JC 1 monoblocks with a pair of KEF Reference 107/2s and a KEF Reference 204/2C for LCR in our music/HT room. They really make the 107/2s sing, a surprising improvement over the Proceed HPA 3 they replaced. I suspect it's their ability to deliver current to what seem to be power hungry 107/2s.

db
adrummingdude likes this.
post #2454 of 3216 Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I feel that isolators were needed in older speakers because their cabinets were resonant. Even at that time they were of partial use and were never scientifically proven to make much of a difference.

With LS50. Their use is even more questionable since the speaker enclosure is so solid. Often sub enclosure is a lot more resonant. So it may not be advisable to put ls50 on top of a sub. You don't want vibrations from sub to reach the ls50s. Just my two cents.

Lot of folks like and use this particular stand, there is a positive "professional" review out there where one of the speakers used was a LS50. I use mine to obtain a tilt-up of the speaker, as that works better with my room acoustics. Tilting a speaker up has long been an acceptable tweak.

As far as a speaker on a sub, well IMHO, it depends. Yeah, in a HT setting where the subs are loud and ripping, not a good idea. In a nearfield stereo setting, where volume and frequency range are not extreme, I haven't found it a problem. In fact a few hi-end speaker makers design full range speakers which are basically a monitor sitting on top of a bass module.

When I originally went from some HD stands to the speaker-on-sub set up, the only difference I heard was the latter actually had better bass integration.

Last edited by jkhome; 11-30-2017 at 06:54 AM.
post #2455 of 3216 Old 11-30-2017, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Musical Fidelity M250 Monoblock and LS50

Hello all,

I'm a long time member (Many years) with lots of posts. However Its been a few years and I could not find my previous userID and password, so I opened up a new account.

My beloved Thiel CS7s finally gave up after 21 years and no parts are available so I purchased a couple of LS50s (Passive) to give a try. I also pulled the trigger on the KEF performance stands.

My amplifiers are Musical Fidelity M250 Mono Blocks rated at [email protected] and [email protected] My big Thiels needed the current to perform optimally.

I have read where people have powered the LS50s with amps up to 300w and was curious if any of you guys have and what the potential for speaker damage could be?
post #2456 of 3216 Old 11-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Do these ever go on sale?
post #2457 of 3216 Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVStone View Post
Hello all,

I'm a long time member (Many years) with lots of posts. However Its been a few years and I could not find my previous userID and password, so I opened up a new account.

My beloved Thiel CS7s finally gave up after 21 years and no parts are available so I purchased a couple of LS50s (Passive) to give a try. I also pulled the trigger on the KEF performance stands.

My amplifiers are Musical Fidelity M250 Mono Blocks rated at [email protected] and [email protected] My big Thiels needed the current to perform optimally.

I have read where people have powered the LS50s with amps up to 300w and was curious if any of you guys have and what the potential for speaker damage could be?
You could potentially blow them, but you have complete control over how much you turn it up. They go up to about 106dB before that happens. How loud did you listen to the Theil CS7's?

post #2458 of 3216 Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
Do these ever go on sale?
These what?

KEF Direct in the US had the LS50 on sale for $1000 a pair if that's what you mean, but the sale ends tonight.

Other products are on sale too, and it's highly likely that there will be a new sale price offering in December.

post #2459 of 3216 Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
These what?

KEF Direct in the US had the LS50 on sale for $1000 a pair if that's what you mean, but the sale ends tonight.

Other products are on sale too, and it's highly likely that there will be a new sale price offering in December.
Not sure 1K on Bookshelves are worth it , though I know these are supposed to be amazing; LS50.
post #2460 of 3216 Old 11-30-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
Not sure 1K on Bookshelves are worth it , though I know these are supposed to be amazing; LS50.
Yes. They are a bargain at $1500. Speakers last a long time and when you compare their quality to any 3000 dollar speaker, they sound better.

However, there are two things you don't get. High volume and low end frequency. So if you listen up to 100 dB at 1 meter and have a good sub or two, they sound marvelous.

Just my two cents.

MeanMachine likes this.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 11-30-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page