post #2491 of 3192 Old 12-02-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali12 View Post
i am actually now thinking of trying a Rel t/i9 or t/i7 sub (or might buy evenually a pair of t/i7)
i can't use the high pass level connection with the ls50w speakers.

being a bit dense on needing to understand issues like ''low vs high pass'' or ''stereo sub bass'' and advantages of each,
i emailed Rel tech support and got some helpful clarity from one of their senior tech people:

[I]''Hi J, let me explain it very simply, because you are getting seemingly conflicting input from different sources:

1. For all things REL, please defer to us as the final authority. Low level has zero issues with ground--in fact you will bypass grounding issues by going this way so do not worry.
2. You can absolutely use (2) T/7i coming out of an inexpensive Y-adaptor as KEF suggests and you may obtain, with careful placement, smoother in-room response. What I was referring to is stereo sub bass which is yet another level of performance benefit but KEF is totally correct, acoustically, the eventual use of two subs has all sorts of practical benefits[''/I].

then he later again clarified using low vs high pass and stereo sub bass in the kef's wireless system... and that you cannot use high pass or the stereo sub bass due to the LS50W's active design.

''J, absolutely NO brand of subwoofer will be able to offer you true stereo bass through the active LS50 design; this is a result of KEF's design priorities, not any subwoofer manufacturer. If there is only 1 output presenting a summed output--meaning both L-R channels are combine--then no one can provide stereo bass because it is not available as a signal format.

What KEF has said is that some of the benefits of having 2 subs have to do with evening out room peaks and valleys, and we agree with this. In the end, active speakers direct what is and is not possible within a system. It is a choice of utility and wireless functionality balanced against being able to produce the ultimate in sound quality from a given pair of speakers--albeit at undoubtedly a much higher price (start adding up the cost of good cabling and a really high quality amplifier and you can see that it will cost far more than the price difference between passive and active LS-50's). I happen to think the KEF team have done a really nice job of producing a quality wireless powered speaker at a very reasonable price.

Will you be able to obtain very good sonic performance from this combination? Absolutely, we have a number of customers who use 1 or 2 T/7i or T/9i with their active LS and they love the combination. There is no question that the best sonic match is between a REL and the KEF. The only question is whether you need one or two. I might suggest getting a single T/7i unit first and then add on the second later so you can hear the difference.''
Not being able to do stereo sub output is not a problem at all. Because we can not locate any sound below 80 Hz. So to us, stereo and mono subs will sound the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 3192 Old 12-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarynth View Post

...Anyone running LS50W's with a sub? Can you plug in 2 subs to them? How much does the sound quality improve? Do the LS50's sound better when they don't have to produce a full range or sound?
I am running the LS50's somewhat similar to your set-up:
Oppo 205 as pre-pro, stereo mode, balanced (XLR) outs to an ATI amplifier, to LS50's. Each LS50 is paired with an REL T7i sub. REL prefers to run with the full range output of the amplifier but can run with low level (i.e. subwoofer LFE outs) signals as well, or both. So I tried a few scenarios with the Oppo 205 which is quite flexible in this regard. I concluded that running both the LS50 and REL full range directly from the ATI speaker level outputs in stereo mode worked best in our setup (and simplified the wiring somewhat). Note this is a 2.2 set up. In a 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, etc your results may be different. The combination of the LS50's with stereo subs works very well. I have the subs dialed down a bit as it a modest size (15' x 16') room used primarily for video.
post #2493 of 3192 Old 12-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
anyone familiar with sunrise subs?
someone has offered me a SUNFIRE HRS-10 High resolution series for US$535 shipped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2494 of 3192 Old 12-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post
Jensen has some step up/down models, but the ones I linked to are 1:1 and will work with consumer stuff. I agree they are pricey. I have "collected" some over the years, since they are passive, they don't wear out. I now run 5 channels (2 stereo units and 1 mono) output models in our HT system, converting the single ended outputs of an analog preamp to drive long cables to a stack of proamps. Some of them are maybe 10 years old. For conversion of the sub signal I use the MiniDSP balanced box.

With my KEFs in the 2 channel system, I use a Nuforce pre into W4S mAMPS, balanced I/Os, but the cabling is only a half a meter. Nice and quiet though.
Why isn’t it an issue to go from 1.2v RCA TO 2.4v balanced? Weaker input into your power amps? Presumably with 1:1 you are inputting 1.2v into your power amps.
I think it may be more of an issue to put 2.4v into the active Kefs. I would probably need a step down. Do you know if this degrades quality at all? Would have thought not if quality transformer.
How long are your balanced runs?
Thanks
post #2495 of 3192 Old 12-03-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Got the LS50w's. Set them up in the same place as my LS50's and they sound like crap compared to the passives. Let them burn in overnight. Passives still sound much better. Played with DSP settings, couldn't find that made them sound as good as the passives. The LS50w's are sounding very muffled.

Got them burning in. Hopefully the sound changes.
Sorry to hear that. Seems to go against the grain of the other posts about the actives.
What amp were you using with the passives?
Same position and stands?
Burn in is only really meant to affect bass driver excursion (according to Dr Toole), so they shouldn’t sound bad out of the box.
Are you getting the signal wirelessly to them or hard wired? I am always sceptical about wireless quality.
Hope they improve!
post #2496 of 3192 Old 12-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Got the LS50w's. Set them up in the same place as my LS50's and they sound like crap compared to the passives. Let them burn in overnight. Passives still sound much better. Played with DSP settings, couldn't find that made them sound as good as the passives. The LS50w's are sounding very muffled.

Got them burning in. Hopefully the sound changes.

You probably got a lemon pal. Send them back and ask for an exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2497 of 3192 Old 12-03-2017, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Seems to go against the grain of the other posts about the actives.
What amp were you using with the passives?
Same position and stands?
Burn in is only really meant to affect bass driver excursion (according to Dr Toole), so they shouldn’t sound bad out of the box.
Are you getting the signal wirelessly to them or hard wired? I am always sceptical about wireless quality.
Hope they improve!
I've got IsoAcoustic Aperta stands sitting on my desk about 5 feet apart. When I'm comparing the LS50 to the LS50W I put them on the stands in the same location. Here's how they are set up atm:

Passives
Computer->USB->Chord Mojo DAC->3.5mm to Analog->Harman Kardon 3480->LS50

Actives
Computer->USB->LS50W

The amp is not impressive by any means. Its a stereo amp that puts out 120 watts per channel.

When comparing the speakers I find the LS50 passives to have more texture in strings, the LS50W sounds a bit artificial in comparison. I also noticed the LS50's are a bit brighter, maybe overly so on some recordings. I think this is due to the HK amp. I played several songs for my friend who hadn't heard either speaker before. He much preferred the passives.

The LS50W's definitely have more bass, but there is something lacking in the tweeter/midrange department. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I'll call it "magic" for now.

I'm worried that the HK amp is simply making the passives overly bright and so the LS50W's sound dull in direct comparison. Still, I'm much more impressed with the passives at this time. When I listen to a cello recording on the passives it feels like there's a cello right in front of me. When playing them on the LS50W's it sounds like I'm listening to a cello recording.

Another thing I noticed that's not sound related. The passive's piano gloss is completely smooth. The LS50W have a slight orange peel texture. It's not too noticeable but the passives gloss is better.

Last edited by Lazarynth; 12-03-2017 at 05:21 PM.
post #2498 of 3192 Old 12-03-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
Why isn’t it an issue to go from 1.2v RCA TO 2.4v balanced? Weaker input into your power amps? Presumably with 1:1 you are inputting 1.2v into your power amps.
I think it may be more of an issue to put 2.4v into the active Kefs. I would probably need a step down. Do you know if this degrades quality at all? Would have thought not if quality transformer.
How long are your balanced runs?
Thanks
It a Sony TAP9000ES going into Yamaha P3500s pro amps (driving Paradigm Studio speakers), no problem at all with enough gain. I use an Oppo player for decoding. Usually run the preamps volume control between the 9 and 12 o'clock settings. The cable runs are 10- 12 feet each.

If you are seriously considering the transformers, I would shoot an email to Jensen, they should be able to answer all your question, very helpful folks. They may recommend this model, as it appears to be rated for longer cables:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/po-xx/
post #2499 of 3192 Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVStone View Post
Which ATI Amp are you running? I have a 5 channel ATI amp that is rated at [email protected] along with my Musical Fidelity mono blocks. I was using the ATI for center and surround and the MF for left right because of the heavy load the CS7's put on the 5 channel amp.
I am using the newer version ATI, AT523NC, which is a Hypex N-core based design with ATI linear supplies and input buffers, 200W channel into 8 ohms, more than enough for the LS50's. 3 channel, though I am using only 2 right now. So far so good. About 2/3 of the weight of the the classic ATI and I like the fact that they use a bullet-proof ATI power supply. The only issues I have ever heard about with the N-cores seem to have been switch-mode power supply related.

I plan to add a third LS50 as the center channel, but have not pulled the trigger yet.
post #2500 of 3192 Old 12-05-2017, 02:30 AM

It is more likely that the difference in sound is due to the DAC than the amp. Try going source to mojo to RCA input on the actives and compare. The. The only difference is the in built amp versus your external marantz.
post #2501 of 3192 Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I ordered a miniDSP DDRC-22D last night. It's my Christmas present from my wife!

It performs it's Dirac Live correction magic all in the digital domain, so my digital sources will plug into the miniDSP, then the miniDSP will plug into my DAC.

I'm excited to see what this will do for my system with my LS50s and sub(s)!!

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #2502 of 3192 Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I am using the newer version ATI, AT523NC, which is a Hypex N-core based design with ATI linear supplies and input buffers, 200W channel into 8 ohms, more than enough for the LS50's. 3 channel, though I am using only 2 right now. So far so good. About 2/3 of the weight of the the classic ATI and I like the fact that they use a bullet-proof ATI power supply. The only issues I have ever heard about with the N-cores seem to have been switch-mode power supply related.

I plan to add a third LS50 as the center channel, but have not pulled the trigger yet.
Sounds like a nice amp. I have one of the original AT2505 five channel. It's a beast for sure. Takes both me and my son-in-law to lift it. It's been great for a lot of years. I originally used it to power 5 Thiel speakers. Unfortunately due to the super low impendence of the CS7s I had to get two Musical Fidelity Mono Blocks to run the CS7s. The ATI then did the work for the center and rears. Very nice under rated amp in my opinion. Mine still looks brand new. I'm very curious how it will sound with the LS50s. Perhaps I could go back to driving 5 channels again with the KEFs.
post #2503 of 3192 Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
LS50 (Passive) and Arcam AV8 or 9

Curious if anyone on the forum has used either an AV8 or AV9 with these speakers?
post #2504 of 3192 Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
I ordered a miniDSP DDRC-22D last night. It's my Christmas present from my wife!

It performs it's Dirac Live correction magic all in the digital domain, so my digital sources will plug into the miniDSP, then the miniDSP will plug into my DAC.

That's awesome, I would love one of those myself. Let us know how it works outs.
Nick V likes this.
post #2505 of 3192 Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes. Do let us know how it works.

Nick V likes this.
post #2506 of 3192 Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

I should be able to post before and after graphs from REW sometime after Christmas.

I have extensive bass trapping and broadband absorption at the first reflection points in my room, but I'm very curious to see the results. I've never extensively measured my system aside from Audyssey and ARC (when I used to use my Anthem MRX-300 in the system).

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #2507 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Yes. They are a bargain at $1500. Speakers last a long time and when you compare their quality to any 3000 dollar speaker, they sound better.

However, there are two things you don't get. High volume and low end frequency. So if you listen up to 100 dB at 1 meter and have a good sub or two, they sound marvelous.

Just my two cents.
I know it's a totally different type of speaker, but if I have a pair of energy RC-70 floor standers, would the LS50 be any kind of upgrade?
post #2508 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_honda View Post
I know it's a totally different type of speaker, but if I have a pair of energy RC-70 floor standers, would the LS50 be any kind of upgrade?
Huge improvement in resolution. You'd hear things in the music you've never heard before. And don't discount how well the LS50 can fill a small-medium room. If you're using a sub you'll still want it. If not, you may want one.

What source are you using?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #2509 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Huge improvement in resolution. You'd hear things in the music you've never heard before. And don't discount how well the LS50 can fill a small-medium room. If you're using a sub you'll still want it. If not, you may want one.

I agree. Here is my respinse in another thread.

Wouldn't it be better to save money on these expensive towers and buy much better quality bookshelves and use them with a good quality sub. You are not using the lower frequencies of the tower anyway but are paying for a bigger cabinet that is much more expensive to brace effectively.

By better quality, I mean:

Much reduced cabinet resonance
Much reduced driver cone resonance
Much reduced power compression
Much reduced linear distortion
Much reduced non-linear distortion
Much uniform frequency response
Much better and higher order crossover
And other improvements.

These improvements will result in added transparency and and sound quality. Instruments will sound real in the room.

Just a question.

post #2510 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And I responded there.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #2511 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 05:26 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post

Thanks for the insight from you and SouthernCA.

The only things giving me hesitation is I have a medium sized living room with 2 large openings, effectively qualifying it as a large room. I also do like how the RC-70s matches up with the furniture, though the LS50s would do well in the aesthetics too. Just would need a nice pair of stands which adds to the cost. But I'm intrigued but these and have been for a few years now.

My source is a Harman HK 990 integrated amp (what a beast) with Yamaha NP-S2000 network player and Yamaha 5 CD changer.
post #2512 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The only things giving me hesitation is I have a medium sized living room with 2 large openings, effectively qualifying it as a large room. I also do like how the RC-70s matches up with the furniture, though the LS50s would do well in the aesthetics too. Just would need a nice pair of stands which adds to the cost. But I'm intrigued but these and have been for a few years now.

My source is a Harman HK 990 integrated amp (what a beast) with Yamaha NP-S2000 network player and Yamaha 5 CD changer.
The LS50 will still be effective in "wowing" you. Yes, the Harmon Kardon HK990 is a legitimate beast! I had a little HK440xi I bought new in 1988. In 2015 my son finally killed it, and bought an HK550xi to replace it. Still going strong, sweet sound. No sub management though, he has to do line-level outputs through the sub and use it's internal filter.

post #2513 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Bottom line: listen to ls50 with a sub and your current speaker. If you don't get wowed by ls50, stay with your current setup and keep looking for something that will truly be a quantum upgrade.

post #2514 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
what's a good way to burn-in my LS50 Wireless?
and any recommendations on a good sub to pair it with?

I was thinking of the JL subs... if not a KEF Kube?
post #2515 of 3192 Old 12-06-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilflare View Post
what's a good way to burn-in my LS50 Wireless?
and any recommendations on a good sub to pair it with?

I was thinking of the JL subs... if not a KEF Kube?
I never used to believe in burn-in but I swear my ls50 have mellowed over the last 18.months. But then again, it may be that I have got used to their sound.

I use svs sb 12 nsd in a 17 by 20 room but I sit 10 feet from the speakers. The sub has plenty of power. I keep it at 40% of full scale.

You can audition them free from SVS.

KenM10759 likes this.
post #2516 of 3192 Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi all ..

guys which speaker is better for desktop use ,, LS50 or ELAC AS-61 ? for near field use only

really i am confused between these 2 speakers ,, i never heard the ELAC but some one say its the bigger brother of the LS50 ,,

also i want to add that if i go for the LS50 ,, i plane to buy Schiit Vidar , is it good ?

any advise is welcome ,,

Last edited by gu1do; 12-07-2017 at 09:43 AM.
post #2517 of 3192 Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wouldn't it be better to save money on these expensive towers and buy much better quality bookshelves and use them with a good quality sub. You are not using the lower frequencies of the tower anyway but are paying for a bigger cabinet that is much more expensive to brace effectively...
I went from much larger, much more expensive Paradigm Studio 100v5 tower speakers to KEF LS50s with a Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer (I'll add a second when I can find one). I'm running them high-passed @80Hz through the Velodyne's electronics right now, but I'll be adding a dedicated active crossover whenever I can find what I'm looking for (Bryston 12B SUB or Marchand) at the right price on the used market.

I don't have the ability to do any A/B testing as I sold the Paradigms before replacing them with the KEFs, and I just recently added the sub for 2 channel music, but I'm happier overall with the sound of my system now than I was with the big towers. The system plays deeper (with the sub), seemingly just as loud (as loud as I can tolerate anyway) and is at least as resolving of details if not more. Having said that, I'm in a small room (16' x 13') so I can't speak for the performance in a very large room.

On top of that I was able to put away around $2,750 in going from the large Paradigms to the KEF+Velodyne system that I'm running now. Money that I just used to order a miniDSP DDRC-22D that should take the system to the next level!
SouthernCA likes this.

post #2518 of 3192 Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
I went from much larger, much more expensive Paradigm Studio 100v5 tower speakers to KEF LS50s with a Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer (I'll add a second when I can find one). I'm running them high-passed @80Hz through the Velodyne's electronics right now, but I'll be adding a dedicated active crossover whenever I can find what I'm looking for (Bryston 12B SUB or Marchand) at the right price on the used market.
I recommend using the Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager with acoustic room correction with the sub. I use SMS-1s with a pair of HGS-15s in one setup an with a pair of HGS-10s in another. I have a balanced Bryston 10B I bought earlier this year for $1200 and never used. I offer that for $1K if anyone is interested. I haven't opened the box, but from the photos it appears to be a formidable device.

db
post #2519 of 3192 Old 12-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I recommend using the Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager with acoustic room correction with the sub. I use SMS-1s with a pair of HGS-15s in one setup an with a pair of HGS-10s in another. I have a balanced Bryston 10B I bought earlier this year for $1200 and never used. I offer that for $1K if anyone is interested. I haven't opened the box, but from the photos it appears to be a formidable device.

db
I might be interested in the Bryston sometime down the road, but I'd rather find a more local sale in Canada considering the exchange rate and shipping costs.

The SPL-800R has built-in auto-eq (just 6 band graphic EQ) and the miniDSP DDRC-22D has built-in Dirac Live room correction in the digital domain, so I think the Velodyne SMS-1 might be redundant with it's room correction.

post #2520 of 3192 Old 12-07-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
i'm now looking more seriously at Rythmik F12s...SE in piano black / silver cone...
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html
or custom white by some Salk chap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page