AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   KEF LS50 Owners (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1432153-kef-ls50-owners.html)

wse 10-02-2012 10:08 PM

I bought my Ls 50 on Monday after listening to them for three hours they are unbelievable and I own B&W 800 Diamond D2

http://www.eisa.eu/award/1/european-loudspeaker-2012-2013.html

www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/review/LS50_HFN_0712.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/kef-ls50-loudspeaker/

 

http://www.whathifi.com/review/kef-ls50

 

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-kef-ls50-speaker

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57561122-47/the-audiophiliacs-speaker-of-the-year-the-kef-ls50/

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/kef-ls50-50th-anniversary-eidition

 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/07/kef-ls50-loudspeakers-w-three-budget-amplifiers/

 

http://www.kefdirect.com/ls50.html

 

and if that's not enough

 

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/6/66596.html

 

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/bookshelf-monitor-loudspeakers/kef-ls50-loudspeaker-review.html

 

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/557

 

- and in summary http://www.kef.com/html/fr/showroom/flagship_hi-fi_series/LS50/ls50/ls50/

 

I think I will stop now enjoy and if you are not convinced go listen



- http://www.kefamerica.com/mar14/images/LS50-Stereophile-BestAwards2013.pdf

drewTT 10-02-2012 10:31 PM

Right on. Do you have any pics of them?

wse 10-03-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Right on. Do you have any pics of them?

I will try to take some next week, when I am back.

warpdrive 10-03-2012 08:12 AM

ooh nice, I'm highly intrigued by these speakers

wse 10-06-2012 07:03 AM

The best way to experience them is to try them with your own system if you can. All I can say is, I was comparing them to B&W PM1 which are twice the price, and I bought the LS50!

I am a repeat owner of B&W (800 Diamonds, and 802Ds). The LS50 are that good. biggrin.gif

programdirector 12-07-2012 01:03 PM

I got mine on 3 days ago. Incredible! Gorgeous, Rock solid, as enert a box as I've ever rapped. And the sound is just amazing. The sound stage and detail are reveletory. Waith thill they break in! Everything the reviews are saying is true. I normally listen to classical music, but I put on my Shelly Mann and His Friends CD, mono 1956, and the triio was right there in my den! Don't hesitate if you're thinking about these for an appropriate room.

wse 12-07-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by programdirector View Post

I got mine on 3 days ago. Incredible! Gorgeous, Rock solid, as enert a box as I've ever rapped. And the sound is just amazing. The sound stage and detail are reveletory. Waith thill they break in! Everything the reviews are saying is true. I normally listen to classical music, but I put on my Shelly Mann and His Friends CD, mono 1956, and the triio was right there in my den! Don't hesitate if you're thinking about these for an appropriate room.

Welcome, and congratulations they improve with time.

galvs 01-17-2013 01:42 PM

Got mine yesterday.
Amazing sound in a small package.

truwarrior22 01-17-2013 02:48 PM

24 Attachment(s)
Anything they don't sound good at? Can these handle rock music as well?

galvs 01-17-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Anything they don't sound good at? Can these handle rock music as well?

Sure.
AC/DC Black in Black plays as good as Patricia Barber Mythologies.
Fantastic speakers.

truwarrior22 01-17-2013 03:06 PM

24 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvs View Post

Sure.
AC/DC Black in Black plays as good as Patricia Barber Mythologies.
Fantastic speakers.

Does and type of music sound more forward then other types?

galvs 01-17-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Does and type of music sound more forward then other types?

I listen to vocals, classic rock, jazz, blues, instrumental and classical music. No complains at all.
In a small to medium room, they are a WINNER.

Ximori 02-11-2013 11:03 AM

Has any of you owners used the LS50s for 5.1 movies? I’m curious to hear some impressions as I’m trying to talk myself into owning a pair first, then add later a third one for cc.

jima4a 02-11-2013 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know DavidF from UK AVForum switched from five R300s to five LS50s and is super pleased. FrankHarvey has five set up in a demo room as a 5.2. From what I have heard they work amazing. Note that David works for Frank Harvey.

K Shep 02-11-2013 12:53 PM







The low frequency provided by these speakers surprised me.

galvs 02-11-2013 03:16 PM



Smaller than XQ20, but sounds bigger. Amazing.

Randy Bessinger 02-11-2013 04:02 PM

They are amazing speakers for sure. Best mini-monitors I have ever heard and probably the best speaker overall.

techblogpool 02-11-2013 06:22 PM


Ximori 02-16-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I know DavidF from UK AVForum switched from five R300s to five LS50s and is super pleased. FrankHarvey has five set up in a demo room as a 5.2. From what I have heard they work amazing. Note that David works for Frank Harvey.

Here's a post from Dav1dF in AVForum:

"They're just another step forward from the R300's in my mind. Their ability to disappear is stunning, and even the right rear which is 0.9m away from me to my right hand side doesn't draw attention to itself and is able to project (obviously with the help of the other speakers) sounds and effects around me and in specific places. They're not bright, and there's no tizziness to the treble at all (reminds me of how solid and clean the treble is on the Reference models), which adds to their realism. Music in movies sounds amazing - try Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - the violins soar forwards away from the front speakers, and each piano note has weight with excellent decay. Most people would be extremely happy if their hi-fi sounded this good! Dynamics are better too - I was watching something the other night (a film I know well) and I think I was having a quick check on a forum via my iPad, so I was looking down, and something happened on screen which really made me jump - I knew it was coming!"

I''m into musical scores and seems like the speaker's tonal characteristic sounds right up my alley. He goes on mentioning how he gets the same kind of detail in his in ear headphone with this speaker. Have you guys heard about this new DTS Headphone: X (11.1 channels)? Although there's not much info out there yet about this new technology, I wonder if a pair of bookshelf speakers can work as a headphone replacement to match its acoustic reproduction and sonic detail quality, when situated in near-field. If that tends to work well, then it could be a game-changer for those watching movies with a 2.1 system in a small room...especially a speaker of this caliber. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ximori 02-16-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

They are amazing speakers for sure. Best mini-monitors I have ever heard and probably the best speaker overall.

I ordered mine and should be getting a pair this Monday. It's a huge upgrade, having used my NHT Superzeros for almost two decades. cool.gif

AUDIOgiant 02-16-2013 02:09 PM

I just purchased a pair from KEFdirect and they should be arriving soon. I'm replacing my HT speakers and may also consider a 5.2 setup with 5 LS50s.

My question is how do you guys get that single speaker by itself when it's sold in pairs? Should I have went somewhere else to buy these instead of online?

And as long as I'm posting, anybody have any other recommendations for a center and surround that would match well with the LS 50's as the front mains?

Ximori 02-16-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant View Post

I just purchased a pair from KEFdirect and they should be arriving soon. I'm replacing my HT speakers and may also consider a 5.2 setup with 5 LS50s.

My question is how do you guys get that single speaker by itself when it's sold in pairs? Should I have went somewhere else to buy these instead of online?

And as long as I'm posting, anybody have any other recommendations for a center and surround that would match well with the LS 50's as the front mains?

Go with a local dealer - you can purchase them, individually. I recommend going that route, instead of online, as you might be able to cut a better deal off the final cost as well.

What kind of sub were you thinking of matching with your speakers? Eventually, I'll be needing one once I add a center. For surrounds - I was thinking if a Paradigm MilleniaOne pair can seamlessly provide a similar amount of detail to match with the fronts.

wse 02-16-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant View PostAnybody have any other recommendations for a center and surround that would match well with the LS 50's as the front mains?

 

Use all the same speakers you will be much happier and will not be frustrated when the sound doesn't match you should at least use the same three front channels!


AUDIOgiant 02-16-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post

What kind of sub were you thinking of matching with your speakers? Eventually, I'll be needing one once I add a center. For surrounds - I was thinking if a Paradigm MilleniaOne pair can seamlessly provide a similar amount of detail to match with the fronts.

That I am not sure about subs either. Space is tight. I have a 14x14x9 room...almost half of which is already taken up by my sofa and av gear. =P

However I am aiming for dual subs. I was originally looking at dual Hsu VTF-3 MK4's, but I honestly have not heard them myself. They are local (to you, too, I think) and the cost is reduced if you pick them up yourself.

I also sent you a PM. Please respond when you have a chance! Thanks.

sdg4vfx 02-16-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOgiant View Post

That I am not sure about subs either. Space is tight. I have a 14x14x9 room...almost half of which is already taken up by my sofa and av gear. =P

However I am aiming for dual subs. I was originally looking at dual Hsu VTF-3 MK4's, but I honestly have not heard them myself ...

I'm currently running an SVS SB12-NSD with a Q100's setup - the sub is very accurate and detailed (no more blurry thumps!). This sub has a very small form factor for a 12" sub - it's basically a 14" cube. I wanted a small form factor so that I could upgrade to dual subs down the road.

sdg4vfx 02-16-2013 11:12 PM

I'm also strongly considering getting three LS-50's LCR for my HT. (It's a medium sized room and most of my listening is at medium to lower volume, seem like a good fit for the LS-50.)

Some questions ...

Any more feedback from owners about how they sound for HT?

They're rear ported - after using/placing them how much space do owners recommend between the speaker and the wall?

I'm assuming there's not a problem with laying one on it's side as a center speaker ... (worked fine with a Q100)

Any concerns about the speaker not having a grill? (dust settling, etc.) Or does anyone know of a grill that can be used?

Budget wise I'd like to try something else as my surrounds (at least for a while). While not optimal, would KEF HTS 3001 eggs be acceptable as surrounds (trying to stay with UniQ drivers)? Or could I use a couple of my Q100's?

Thanks!

techblogpool 02-18-2013 05:50 AM

Hey there,

I have these as my L/R speakers in a 5.1 with yamaha C/SL/SR and a JAMO sub. In this setup they are wonderful. I find them sounding best at least 50cm from the wall. Also, they pretty much have to be at the ear height. Not sure what your setup looks like, but my center speaker is below the TV, way lower than my ear height and thus it doesn't sound quite as clear when I tried placing the LS50 there.
This placement concern is also the reason why I am still hesitant to go all the way with a 7.1 LS50s. I would need a considerable amount of room to have all speakers 0,5m from the walls.
I did play with the included foams but to no avail. The foams muddy the sound to my ears.

For some reason, this may be due to my AV receiver (Denon AVR-2113), they sound best when the volume it fairy high, at around 60-70 on the volume dial. Then they start to really shine!

Putting them sideways should be alright.

So far the only concern is aesthetics. Color wise, I might have preferred silver to copper. I've had them for a month now and dust poses no problem, only to the black glossy finish.

Q100s as surrounds would be amazing!

Cheers

gelly 02-18-2013 07:48 AM

Hello, if i did'nt want to use another LS50 as a center,which would be the best matched alternative ? Thanks

wse 02-18-2013 10:32 AM


wse 02-18-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View PostHello, if i did'nt want to use another LS50 as a center,which would be the best matched alternative ? Thanks

 

That is a tuff one! Personally I think that the front speakers should always be the same, surround can be different but honestly you should seriously consider identical three front speakers you will have the best imaging ever.

 

I recently upgraded my center to include a third 800Diamond to make it  three 800Diamond!  I can tell you that it was day and night compared to the 802D that was in the center.



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.