RSL Speakers Owners Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #421 of 614 Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 2620

+1,000,000
JimWilson likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-16-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 614 Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
The CG25 does not have a tweeter adjustment. I asked Joe Rodgers that very question and at the risk of jumping the gun on part of my article here is a direct quote he gave me in response...

When you hear the CG25s I think you’ll find they really don’t need any tweeter adjustment. As least, that is our opinion. As a speaker that is more forward by nature, the adjustable tweeter isn’t as much of an added benefit. Being a more traditionally sounding speaker, we felt the increased adaptability best suits the CG5. The 5 is quite dimensional as is, but dialing up the tweeter will bring the sound a bit more forward, if that’s your preference.

The effects of the low/medium/high setting are subtle - it doesn't make a night and day difference - but it can be heard. Low wasn't sufficient for my needs so I've spent the majority of the time thus far using medium and high. Even on high it's not as bright as a ribbon but sometimes to my ears that type of tweeter can be a bit strident, especially when pushed. I prefer a smoother, more even sound. As an example I have an old Deep Purple song called Stormbringer playing right now at an elevated volume. If a tweeter lacks composure then David Coverdale's voice will tend to grate on me, but no such thing is happening and I have the setting on high.

EDIT: Joe made a request that I do the music portion of my evaluation with a 2.1 setup consisting of dual CG25's and a single SpeedWoofer 10S. To facilitate that they sent me a second CG25 so I will be able to test the assertion it's more forward than the CG5 as I can compare them back-to-back on the same material.

I reviewed the original CG4 line and now have the CG5, I haven't heard the CG3's. With the 5's I wouldn't describe anything I'm hearing as boxy or bloated, especially at volume. And I certainly wouldn't worry about 'bothering' RSL with a bunch of questions. In the past 6+ years I've had several conversations and email exchanges with both Howard and Joe and at no time have I ever found either of them to be anything but passionate about what they do and how they do it. I can assure you they will answer every question quickly and with great detail. Better yet, call and speak with them directly. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.
Ok, thanks Jim. I think I will try to get a hold of them pretty soon and let them know what I'm looking for and see what they have to say. I would very much like to hear your opinion of the CG5's vs. CG25's in 2 channel after you test them side by side, so definitely please post your impressions if you don't mind!
post #423 of 614 Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 614 Old 04-16-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Is the Emotiva A700 amplifier powerful enough for the c34e speakers in atmos ceiling application?

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #425 of 614 Old 04-16-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Is the Emotiva A700 amplifier powerful enough for the c34e speakers in atmos ceiling application?
All channels driven is listed as 80 watts so you should be fine.

post #426 of 614 Old 04-18-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi @RayGuy and @JimWilson ,

Could you please help me in my decision making for my dedicated HT speakers.

For a dedicated room of around 2000 cu.ft. (18.5 * 11.5 * 10), What 7.2.4 speaker package would you recommend, I am kind of set on RSL but not sure on which models, The 4 elevation speakers are going to be C34E in all the scenarios... but for the others, here are the options I am thinking of...

1. CG25 for LCR and CG5 for Surrounds.

2. CG5 for both LCR and Surrounds.

3. CG23 for both LCR and Surrounds. (No CG3 here because of the 100Hz crossover, thinking of only CG23)

The main idea here is I am targeting the crossover of the THX recommended 80Hz. If I chose CG5 line, I can pick 80Hz and be done with that, but for CG3 line, CG3 couldn't go less than 100hz whereas CG23 can go down until 85Hz and I can target a crossover of at least 90Hz all around which is not the ideal 80Hz but close.

1. If 90Hz is good enough to not able to localize the sub-woofer and if CG23 can be used all around nicely in a room of my size without any lobing issues, I can get this package and save some money in the process else,

2. If 80Hz is definitely better and if there is a definite acoustic advantage going with CG5 line in my room size, I will go with the CG5 line, then the question would be whether to go with CG5 all around or use CG25 for LCR and CG5s for Surround.

Please advise... Thanks in advance...
post #427 of 614 Old 04-18-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikzquest View Post

For a dedicated room of around 2000 cu.ft. (18.5 * 11.5 * 10), What 7.2.4 speaker package would you recommend, I am kind of set on RSL but not sure on which models, The 4 elevation speakers are going to be C34E in all the scenarios... but for the others, here are the options I am thinking of...

3. CG23 for both LCR and Surrounds. (No CG3 here because of the 100Hz crossover, thinking of only CG23)

The main idea here is I am targeting the crossover of the THX recommended 80Hz. If I chose CG5 line, I can pick 80Hz and be done with that, but for CG3 line, CG3 couldn't go less than 100hz whereas CG23 can go down until 85Hz and I can target a crossover of at least 90Hz all around which is not the ideal 80Hz but close.

1. If 90Hz is good enough to not able to localize the sub-woofer and if CG23 can be used all around nicely in a room of my size without any lobing issues, I can get this package and save some money in the process else,

2. If 80Hz is definitely better and if there is a definite acoustic advantage going with CG5 line in my room size, I will go with the CG5 line, then the question would be whether to go with CG5 all around or use CG25 for LCR and CG5s for Surround.

Please advise... Thanks in advance...
If you can afford the CG5s all the way around then go with them as they are newer and supposedly better and will have more output due to the bigger drivers and cabinets. CG23s or CG3s would make nice surrounds.

I wouldn't get to hung up on having to have an 80hz crossover. Even with my klipsch towers I use 100 or 120 for them and 120 for everything else. I have 2 subs and experience no localization issues. Even with one sub I rarely had any issues. Reason for my using the higher crossovers are that my subs still have more output at 100 or 120hz than my speakers do. Plus it takes some load off the AVR.

So play around with different crossovers and use what works best in your room. It might be 80 and it might be 120. You won't know until you try.

What subs will you be using?

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #428 of 614 Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:

As Kini62 suggested, if you're able to afford the 5 series that would be the way to go. Rarely does someone regret getting a little more, but frequently they lament doing the opposite. Assuming you choose to go that route then it becomes a question of which model for each location.

I've found the CG25 to be quite capable of playing loudly without losing composure so if you prefer to listen at an elevated level - or you like the front soundstage to be very powerful - then CG25's for LCR would be a good choice. If you don't often crank the volume than CG5's for LR and a CG25 in the center would be fine. That's the config I have and I don't find it lacking at all. CG23's for surrounds would save you some money while still being perfectly well suited for those positions. If you prefer symmetry then perhaps the CG5 instead.

What subs are you using for the .2 part?

post #429 of 614 Old 04-18-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
If you can afford the CG5s all the way around then go with them as they are newer and supposedly better and will have more output due to the bigger drivers and cabinets. CG23s or CG3s would make nice surrounds.

I wouldn't get to hung up on having to have an 80hz crossover. Even with my klipsch towers I use 100 or 120 for them and 120 for everything else. I have 2 subs and experience no localization issues. Even with one sub I rarely had any issues. Reason for my using the higher crossovers are that my subs still have more output at 100 or 120hz than my speakers do. Plus it takes some load off the AVR.

So play around with different crossovers and use what works best in your room. It might be 80 and it might be 120. You won't know until you try.

What subs will you be using?

Thanks @Kini62 for the response.

Irrespective we can afford or not, Savings are savings right...

The normal price for CG23 is $200, considering that CG23s all around will cost me $1400 whereas my best setup with CG5s as surround and CG25s as LCR will exactly be $3100 (Just above 2 times). If crossover is not an issue and if CG23s are more than enough for the space I have and if upgrading to CG5 does not have enough incentive, then I think CG23s would save me a minimum of $1700 (assuming I buy the new designs).

Reg the sub-woofers, I am inclined to SVS SB2000s (2) as they are Sealed and can go below 20Hz and are easy to ship because of their low weight. I see that Speedwoofer 10s also have good reviews but as they can't go below 20hz and they weigh more than SB2000, I am slightly reluctant to consider them. What do you think?
post #430 of 614 Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My vote would be CG5 x 2, CG25, CG3 x 4.

My feeling is that since you are looking at employing two subs, the idea that you will be having localization issues is probably overstated, especially since it will be a concern only for the surrounds, where voices are nearly nonexistent.

As to the sub, if you are interested in sealed designs, the Rythmik L12 is said to have similar performance to the SB2000. It is heavier, and would cost more to ship (do you have a US address near the border?), but will take up less space in your room. That said, the RSL sub is quite good. Though ported, many folks have commented on it having very tight bass, good for both movies and music.
Rgarc likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-18-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #431 of 614 Old 04-19-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
My vote would be CG5 x 2, CG25, CG3 x 4.

My feeling is that since you are looking at employing two subs, the idea that you will be having localization issues is probably overstated, especially since it will be a concern only for the surrounds, where voices are nearly nonexistent.

As to the sub, if you are interested in sealed designs, the Rythmik L12 is said to have similar performance to the SB2000. It is heavier, and would cost more to ship (do you have a US address near the border?), but will take up less space in your room. That said, the RSL sub is quite good. Though ported, many folks have commented on it having very tight bass, good for both movies and music.

Thanks @RayGuy for taking time and chipping in...

If I go with CG3s, I might need to crossover @110Hz which I am reluctant... If CG23s sound good as Surrounds compared to CG3, the price difference is not much to consider them.

Reg LCR, I saw in many places throughout the forums, for AT screen (Sorry I didn't state this earlier), it would be wise to choose the same set of speakers for all three in LCR... So, thats the reason, I am going with either CG5 or CG25.

To keep things simple, I am planning to crossover all the speakers at the same level, that's why I am thinking same speaker line...

For sub-woofer, ya looked at Rythmik L12 and looks good but because I live in TX, there will be huge sales tax as well (that's one thing) but I need to carry these to India (my home country) myself as its too costly to ship it there. So weight is important for me, I will again see, its been a while since I looked at their specs and shipping charges... . The advantage of SB2000 is they each weigh less than 40lbs which is well within airline check-in baggage rules. So, I can avoid shipping charges. Reg RSL, I always wanted a sub-woofer which can go to 20Hz if not below... RSL doesn't go that low from what I have read. I might change my mind because of a huge package deal or some but currently not thinking on that route.

Hope, I made some sense with my thinking... will you change your vote now?
post #432 of 614 Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @RayGuy for taking time and chipping in...

If I go with CG3s, I might need to crossover @110Hz which I am reluctant... If CG23s sound good as Surrounds compared to CG3, the price difference is not much to consider them.

Reg LCR, I saw in many places throughout the forums, for AT screen (Sorry I didn't state this earlier), it would be wise to choose the same set of speakers for all three in LCR... So, thats the reason, I am going with either CG5 or CG25.

To keep things simple, I am planning to crossover all the speakers at the same level, that's why I am thinking same speaker line...

For sub-woofer, ya looked at Rythmik L12 and looks good but because I live in TX, there will be huge sales tax as well (that's one thing) but I need to carry these to India (my home country) myself as its too costly to ship it there. So weight is important for me, I will again see, its been a while since I looked at their specs and shipping charges... . The advantage of SB2000 is they each weigh less than 40lbs which is well within airline check-in baggage rules. So, I can avoid shipping charges. Reg RSL, I always wanted a sub-woofer which can go to 20Hz if not below... RSL doesn't go that low from what I have read. I might change my mind because of a huge package deal or some but currently not thinking on that route.

Hope, I made some sense with my thinking... will you change your vote now?
Well, if using an AT screen, it makes sense to use 3 of the same (CG5s) across the front. Otherwise, I stand by my original rec. If you are into 4 channel music, then it may make sense to also use the CG5s for the surround channels. However, if you use a stereo pair for music, then matching the surrounds is not a necessity.

That said, you seem fixed on using the same crossover point for all your speakers (despite multiple folks trying to dissuade you of that idea), so that eliminates the CG3 line from contention, as even the CG23 would need a 100 Hz crossover point to guarantee no gap in the FR between the sub and the speakers.

So, given all of the above, looks like you will need all CG5s for your bed level, and 4 of the in-ceilings. Now, the only question is which sub(s). BTW, better check the packed weight of the SVS subs, as 35 lbs may just be the weight of the sub itself. With packing materials, I suspect it may exceed your 40 lb limit ... I would contact SVS to be sure.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #433 of 614 Old 04-20-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Well, if using an AT screen, it makes sense to use 3 of the same (CG5s) across the front. Otherwise, I stand by my original rec. If you are into 4 channel music, then it may make sense to also use the CG5s for the surround channels. However, if you use a stereo pair for music, then matching the surrounds is not a necessity.

That said, you seem fixed on using the same crossover point for all your speakers (despite multiple folks trying to dissuade you of that idea), so that eliminates the CG3 line from contention, as even the CG23 would need a 100 Hz crossover point to guarantee no gap in the FR between the sub and the speakers.

So, given all of the above, looks like you will need all CG5s for your bed level, and 4 of the in-ceilings. Now, the only question is which sub(s). BTW, better check the packed weight of the SVS subs, as 35 lbs may just be the weight of the sub itself. With packing materials, I suspect it may exceed your 40 lb limit ... I would contact SVS to be sure.

Thanks for bringing the shipped weight point for the sub-woofer, I never looked at it so far and today, I noticed that SVS one is 51 lbs (International Airlines cutoff is 50 lbs). Rhythmic is 58 lbs. Now, I have to think as they are pretty close in weight and if the excess baggage charge is not that much, I will ask the Airlines... Thank you..

Reg CG23, Can't I use it for all 7 channels? Do you think my room might be big for them? or any other reason?

Reg crossover thing, Sorry, I am not trying to go against the advice but I don't have much knowledge about Sound & Electricals. Whatever I learnt is through guys like you who try to help as much as they can. So I read conflicting view points about Crossover frequency settings and I thought like why to even bother if I can take that out of the equation... So, that's the reason, I am trying to avoid different crossovers for different speakers as I am anyway building my system from ground up instead of adding to an existing speaker setup.
post #434 of 614 Old 04-20-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
As Kini62 suggested, if you're able to afford the 5 series that would be the way to go. Rarely does someone regret getting a little more, but frequently they lament doing the opposite. Assuming you choose to go that route then it becomes a question of which model for each location.

I've found the CG25 to be quite capable of playing loudly without losing composure so if you prefer to listen at an elevated level - or you like the front soundstage to be very powerful - then CG25's for LCR would be a good choice. If you don't often crank the volume than CG5's for LR and a CG25 in the center would be fine. That's the config I have and I don't find it lacking at all. CG23's for surrounds would save you some money while still being perfectly well suited for those positions. If you prefer symmetry then perhaps the CG5 instead.

What subs are you using for the .2 part?

Thanks Jim for the advice. For the .2, I was planning to use SVS SB2000 until a day back but @RayGuy convinced me to have a look at Rhythmik's L12 Sealed sub as well which kind of is in the same ballpark. So one of them.
post #435 of 614 Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for bringing the shipped weight point for the sub-woofer, I never looked at it so far and today, I noticed that SVS one is 51 lbs (International Airlines cutoff is 50 lbs). Rhythmic is 58 lbs. Now, I have to think as they are pretty close in weight and if the excess baggage charge is not that much, I will ask the Airlines... Thank you..

Reg CG23, Can't I use it for all 7 channels? Do you think my room might be big for them? or any other reason?

Reg crossover thing, Sorry, I am not trying to go against the advice but I don't have much knowledge about Sound & Electricals. Whatever I learnt is through guys like you who try to help as much as they can. So I read conflicting view points about Crossover frequency settings and I thought like why to even bother if I can take that out of the equation... So, that's the reason, I am trying to avoid different crossovers for different speakers as I am anyway building my system from ground up instead of adding to an existing speaker setup.
Yes, you could use the CG23 for all the channels. That would save you a LOT of money, even more if you get in on the deals they are currently offering on the closeout model (same speaker, except for the exterior finish).

If you go with all CG23s, you would then set your crossover to 100Hz for all your bed level speakers (the "7" in the 7.x.x spec). Assuming you are using two subwoofers, and they are carefully placed for most even frequency response, there should be no problems with localization. Yes, some deep male voices will leak into the subwoofer's frequency response range, but as long as you are not running them "hot" (i.e. +3-6 dB louder than the mains), you should not have any localization issues. If that concept still bothers you, you could use the CG5s for your front 3, and cross over to them at 80Hz.

The CG23s should be adequate for your space, and many have remarked that they can play at pretty loud volumes without listener fatigue or excessive distortion. Assuming you will be listening at sane volume levels, you should be fine. How far away do you sit?

Not much is known about the CG5 series, so it's difficult to know how they differ in musical reproduction. We certainly can say that they will play louder than the CG3s and will have more bass extension. Other than that, the main difference will be in the tweeter design, and we are all waiting on Jim to fill us in on that characteristic.

What will you be using to drive the speakers? Are you acquiring an 11 channel receiver?

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-20-2019 at 12:23 PM.
post #436 of 614 Old 04-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, you could use the CG23 for all the channels. That would save you a LOT of money, even more if you get in on the deals they are currently offering on the closeout model (same speaker, except for the exterior finish).

If you go with all CG23s, you would then set your crossover to 100Hz for all your bed level speakers (the "7" in the 7.x.x spec). Assuming you are using two subwoofers, and they are carefully placed for most even frequency response, there should be no problems with localization. Yes, some deep male voices will leak into the subwoofer's frequency response range, but as long as you are not running them "hot" (i.e. +3-6 dB louder than the mains), you should not have any localization issues. If that concept still bothers you, you could use the CG5s for your front 3, and cross over to them at 80Hz.

The CG23s should be adequate for your space, and many have remarked that they can play at pretty loud volumes without listener fatigue or excessive distortion. Assuming you will be listening at sane volume levels, you should be fine. How far away do you sit?

Not much is known about the CG5 series, so it's difficult to know how they differ in musical reproduction. We certainly can say that they will play louder than the CG3s and will have more bass extension. Other than that, the main difference will be in the tweeter design, and we are all waiting on Jim to fill us in on that characteristic.

What will you be using to drive the speakers? Are you acquiring an 11 channel receiver?

Its a concrete house and if I listen at very high volume, its going to reverberate like crazy I believe... . So, definitely sane volume levels.

Regarding how far I am going to sit, it will probably be between 12 to 14ft from the front of the speaker. I still haven't decided on 2 row seating or 1 row seating. If its 2 row, most likely not more than 12.5ft as I need to leave at least 5ft behind me for the optional second row. What do you think?

As a start, I'm planning to purchase Denon AVR-X6500H or Marantz 11.2 Receiver. My bet is that should suffice for the db levels I am going to hear. Probably, in future if need be, I might use an amplifier to drive the LCR.
post #437 of 614 Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like you will be fine. 12' is no big deal. Just be sure your seated ears are not at an even multiple of the room length. You want to be seated at 2/3rds, 4/5ths, or 7/9th, not 1/2 or 3/4. You will get better audio, with fewer bad room interactions (as sound bounces around those concrete walls!).

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-20-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #438 of 614 Old 04-20-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you will be fine. 12' is no big deal. Just be sure your seated ears are not at an even multiple of the room length. You want to be seated at 2/3rds, 4/5ths, or 7/9th, not 1/2 or 3/4. You will get better audio, with fewer bad room interactions (as sound bounces around those concrete walls!).

... Sure thanks for the tip...
post #439 of 614 Old 04-22-2019, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Not to throw a monkey wrench into this whole thing because I love RSL speakers but SVS has a new line of speakers coming out, the Pinnacle series I believe. It's between prime and Ultra. I can't wait to see some reviews of them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Its not a new line, its one speaker. Prime Pinnacle sits above the Prime Tower. Pinnacle is a model not a line.

the lounj is a general interest/hobby discussion forum.
post #440 of 614 Old 04-26-2019, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Im gonna have a pair of these things in here soon, but I just realized how much bigger they are than the 3/4 line. These may be exactly what Im looking for for an Atmos HT room Im putting together. I wonder if they need a more substantial wall mount, or if they'll have the threaded inserts for the same type of mounts they used for the CG3/CG4 line. Anyone know? Jim? Bueller?
post #441 of 614 Old 04-26-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Im gonna have a pair of these things in here soon, but I just realized how much bigger they are than the 3/4 line. These may be exactly what Im looking for for an Atmos HT room Im putting together. I wonder if they need a more substantial wall mount, or if they'll have the threaded inserts for the same type of mounts they used for the CG3/CG4 line. Anyone know? Jim? Bueller?
Contact them. May as well be sure.

post #442 of 614 Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Im gonna have a pair of these things in here soon, but I just realized how much bigger they are than the 3/4 line. These may be exactly what Im looking for for an Atmos HT room Im putting together. I wonder if they need a more substantial wall mount, or if they'll have the threaded inserts for the same type of mounts they used for the CG3/CG4 line. Anyone know? Jim? Bueller
I just had pair of CG25s delivered today.

From the CG5/25 owners manual:
Quote:
Threaded Insert Bolt Size: 3/8 x 16 thread, maximum length 3/8 inch

CG5 16 lbs. CG25 23 lbs.
You can compare to the CG3/4 manuals at the RSL website.
Summa and Kini62 like this.
post #443 of 614 Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post

Please let us know how they are when you get a chance. And Pics would be nice

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
post #444 of 614 Old 04-26-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Pennhaven...whoa, the 25 weighs 23lb?!? I knew these were larger, but that's a monster! Given how much I like the CG24, I can't wait to hear these. Any early impressions you may have would be very well-received among those present, Im sure *nudge, nudge*

Enjoy
post #445 of 614 Old 04-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Please let us know how they are when you get a chance. And Pics would be nice
Quote:
Thanks Pennhaven...whoa, the 25 weighs 23lb?!? I knew these were larger, but that's a monster! Given how much I like the CG24, I can't wait to hear these. Any early impressions you may have would be very well-received among those present, Im sure *nudge, nudge*

Enjoy
First impressions are... nothing negative.

Maybe more tomorrow. Need to give it some time. Don't want to get out over the tips of my skiis with confirmation bias, etc.
post #446 of 614 Old 04-26-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First impressions are... nothing negative.

Maybe more tomorrow. Need to give it some time. Don't want to get out over the tips of my skiis with confirmation bias, etc.
lol...are these speakers coming with an FBI notice that you're not allowed to talk about them or something? You guys are giving the strangest feedback I've ever heard on a speaker lol.

EDIT: Looks like my shipping notification just went out. I have five of these things arriving on Thurs 5/2, so assuming I can get proper clearance to share classified information before then, I'll try to offer some impressions by Friday night. Eager to see what Joe and Howard came up with for this line.
Srikzquest and Maxca27 like this.

Last edited by Summa; 04-26-2019 at 10:49 PM.
post #447 of 614 Old 04-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
lol...are these speakers coming with an FBI notice that you're not allowed to talk about them or something? You guys are giving the strangest feedback I've ever heard on a speaker lol.

EDIT: Looks like my shipping notification just went out. I have five of these things arriving on Thurs 5/2, so assuming I can get proper clearance to share classified information before then, I'll try to offer some impressions by Friday night. Eager to see what Joe and Howard came up with for this line.
I felt the same thing about lack of feedback, but similarly to you I ordered these anyway, going on the strength of how much I liked the CG23.

Now, since you two have asked, here are some early observations, with the following caveats.

Firstly, I can't presume to be an expert audiophile. Rather, while I'm appreciative of excellent sound, I have always approached attaining it frugally. Secondly, I am past retirement age, and have no hearing above 10KHz, and a gap at 6KHz. Thirdly, my listening environment is hardly ideal. Fourthly, I don't regularly audition/upgrade my LF/RF speakers, so am not comparing with other modern speakers. In fact, these CG25s are intended to supplant vintage 30+ year old three-ways (however with tweeters, woofers and crossover capacitors replaced about ten years ago).

So, taking all that into account, my opinion, after a few hours, is that, to my ears:

Dispersion is excellent.

Vocal reproduction / clarity is excellent.

The sound stage with the RSL CG23 for the center channel is uniform / seamless.

RSL's efforts to eliminate cabinet resonances are obvious when compared with my vintage sealed 3-ways.

The bass does not extend as low as with my previous speakers with 10" woofers.
Finally here are some photos, though it is a bit of a challenge to do justice to the all black CG25s. (For scale the display is a Vizio P55 C-1.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0151.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	2558974   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0150.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	2558976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0145.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	2558978   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0144.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	2558980  

Last edited by Pennhaven; 04-27-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixed typo references to CG23, added some commas
post #448 of 614 Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I felt the same thing about lack of feedback, but similarly to you I ordered these anyway, going on the strength of how much I liked the CG3.

Now, since you two have asked, here are some early observations, with the following caveats.

Firstly, I can't presume to be an expert audiophile. Rather, while I'm appreciative of excellent sound, I have always approached attaining it frugally. Secondly, I am past retirement age, and have no hearing above 10KHz, and a gap at 6KHz. Thirdly, my listening environment is hardly ideal. Fourthly, I don't regularly audition/upgrade my LF/RF speakers, so am not comparing with other modern speakers. In fact, these CG25s are intended to supplant vintage 30+ year old three-ways (however with tweeters, woofers and crossover capacitors replaced about ten years ago).

So taking all that into account my opinion, after a few hours is that, to my ears:
Dispersion is excellent.

Vocal reproduction / clarity is excellent.

The sound stage with the RSL CG3 for the center channel is uniform / seamless.

RSL's efforts to eliminate cabinet resonances are obvious when compared with my vintage sealed 3-ways.

The bass does not extend as low as with my previous speakers with 10" woofers.
Finally here are some photos, though it is a bit of a challenge to do justice to the all black CG25s. (For scale the display is a Vizio P55C.)

Nice! That's excellent feedback, much appreciated. And no disclaimers needed...I think most folks will agree that impressions will vary based on personal preferences, room acoustics, etc, and what matters most is just the ability to hear individual impressions of a product. So really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I purchased CG4s and CG24s in 2012, and they're one of the few box speakers that I actually really like. Usually I begin to hear the cabinet resonance once my ears adjust to the speaker, and it falls out of favor with me. But as you eluded to, I think the RSL compression guide concept is legit. My main speakers are big 6' Magnepans, so it's a tall order for any box to be able to play in their league. And Im not saying the CG4/24 DO play in their league, but I will say that I can go from one system to the other and not feel like it's any less enjoyable when the RSLs are on. So I cannot wait to see what Joe and Howard have done with double the budget.

BTW, those stands look great! Very nice set up overall, man

PS. I really appreciate you mentioning the blend with the CG3. I haven't fully decided if I want to mess around with an Atmos system yet, but it would be much easier to mount CG3s on the peaked ceiling than it would these larger 5 series. I was worried about driver integration, so that's good to know you're hearing smooth transitions.
post #449 of 614 Old 04-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Nice! That's excellent feedback, much appreciated.
You're very welcome. Glad you found it helpful.

Note: I meant to type CG23 not CG3.
post #450 of 614 Old 04-27-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're very welcome. Glad you found it helpful.

Note: I meant to type CG23 not CG3.

Just a suggestion, but you should probably pull your center out to the front of the stand. It will eliminate any bounce of the stand and should make the center a little more clear.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page