RSL Speakers Owners Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes

post #511 of 591 Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
I am interested in people's opinion or reviews on utilizing the CG25 for Home Theater applications. It seems most like love these based on musical abilities. I'm using the SVS Ultra bookshelf and Center for my front stage but in my living space I do believe I shouldn't lose much going from a 6.5" woofer to a 5.25". I might just jump during black Friday and go for it. Definitely interested in the RSL CG25.
Realistically if a speaker sounds good it sounds good, no matter the usage. What frequently happens is something will be described as 'musical' because often those are more critical listeners than HT users. Given that, it stands to reason if something passes muster for music it will be more than capable for HT duties.
alwaller and Summa like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 591 Old 05-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I am interested in people's opinion or reviews on utilizing the CG25 for Home Theater applications. It seems most like love these based on musical abilities. I'm using the SVS Ultra bookshelf and Center for my front stage but in my living space I do believe I shouldn't lose much going from a 6.5" woofer to a 5.25". I might just jump during black Friday and go for it. Definitely interested in the RSL CG25.
As someone who is cross shopping the CG25 with the SVS Ultra Bookshelf/Center combo, what do you not like about them or what do you hope to gain if you move to RSL?

the lounj is a general interest/hobby discussion forum.
post #513 of 591 Old 05-14-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
I agree with Jim 100%. I've used my RSLs to this point for mostly home theater, and I've recently purchased the new line for a dedicated theater room application. I use music to evaluate for the exact reason that Jim cited - if it sounds good for music, I'll be happy with it for HT. The inverse is not always true. I recently auditioned some PowerSound Audio MT-110s. I love that company and have been a customer of the owner's since 2001 when he was with SVS. They sounded really good for movies...very dynamic, loud, and efficient. But with music, they sounded a bit wonky to my ears. The RSL CG5/25 gives up a bit in terms of the overall dynamics, IMO, but they sound much more natural and balanced to my ears, while also providing plenty of crisp, clean impact for movies. But while I will probably want to enjoy some music from time to time, I chose these for what will be movies/sports/tv 99% of the time in a 5.2.4 Atmos system.
gajCA, Kini62 and JimWilson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 591 Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well everyone, I got them all hooked up and man.....I am blown away!! The sound is amazing to say the least. I have owned nothing but Bose since the early 90's and cannot believe what I have been missing. I spent the last 4 days binge watching movies because I never heard such great sound. That subwoofer....I've had to straighten pictures already! My wife keeps thinking she is hearing thunder LOL
Also, RSL just started offering the speakers I bought as a package now but for $20 more. Glad I ordered when I did!

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...heater-system/
Summa and Maxca27 like this.

Marantz NR1609
RSL CG3 x 2
RSL CG23 center channel
RSL Speedwoofer 10S
post #515 of 591 Old 05-15-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewerda View Post
Well everyone, I got them all hooked up and man.....I am blown away!! The sound is amazing to say the least. I have owned nothing but Bose since the early 90's and cannot believe what I have been missing. I spent the last 4 days binge watching movies because I never heard such great sound. That subwoofer....I've had to straighten pictures already! My wife keeps thinking she is hearing thunder LOL
Also, RSL just started offering the speakers I bought as a package now but for $20 more. Glad I ordered when I did!

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...heater-system/
That's excellent news! And yeah, RSL is a ton of bang for the buck. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of those, especially since you added them to a subwoofer. Have fun with 'em!
post #516 of 591 Old 05-17-2019, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Added an avatar photo.

Nearly took me 17 years as a member to get around to it!
Summa, RayGuy and 355F1 like this.
post #517 of 591 Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So does anyone have or have any thoughts on doing the following setup in a very large 17x23 great room in a new home:

LCR setup with 3 CG 25 speakers
1 or 2 sets of the C34E in-ceilings for the rear
1 or 2 Speedwoofer 10s subs

I am concerned about going from floorstanding to bookshelfs up front. I currently have Energy RC30s and an RC LCR center channel run off a Denon AVR 3808ci (125/channel) receiver in a much smaller house. I will probably buy a new AVR.

Meeting with builder this week to choose pre-wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3E90E976-4AA9-4B29-9AD4-D8FDDE510EA3.png
Views:	17
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	2569404  

Last edited by 355F1; 05-20-2019 at 10:14 PM.
post #518 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
So does anyone have or have any thoughts on doing the following setup in a very large 17x23 great room in a new home:

I am concerned about going from floorstanding to bookshelfs up front. I currently have Energy RC30s and an RC LCR center channel run off a Denon AVR 3808ci (125/channel) receiver in a much smaller house. I will probably buy a new AVR.

You should be just fine!

I have a 5.2.4 setup with CG3 as LR cg23 for center and 4 c34 in a 22 by 20 room that is open on one side running with a 80w/ ch NAD receiver.

The one area i’m Unsure about for you is subs. I have 4 -18” IB subs so have no shortage of base. The speedwoofers might be a bit taxed for that size space.
post #519 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 3237
Quote:

Speakers and subwoofers adhere to the laws of physics, and when it comes to transducers size does matter. Tower speakers have an advantage in that respect so the CG25's will probably not have quite the output or extension of the Energy's you have now. What I've found is the RSL's have great precision, and can actually play a lot louder than I had assumed, so you may find they're a worthwhile upgrade. RSL does offer a 30 day in home trial, with free shipping both ways, so if you do decide to try them it would be without drawbacks. Be sure to get 2 SpeedWoofers though as your room is over 3000 ft^3, too large for a single unit.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #520 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone compared the CG5 to the SVS Ultra? I can’t hardly find anyone who has reviewed or compares these speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #521 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoody51 View Post
You should be just fine!

I have a 5.2.4 setup with CG3 as LR cg23 for center and 4 c34 in a 22 by 20 room that is open on one side running with a 80w/ ch NAD receiver.

The one area i’m Unsure about for you is subs. I have 4 -18” IB subs so have no shortage of base. The speedwoofers might be a bit taxed for that size space.
Do you have the c34’s set up as side surround (1pr) and rear surround(1pr)?
post #522 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You should be just fine!

Do you have the c34’s set up as side surround (1pr) and rear surround(1pr)?
I have the c34’s as overhead/ atmos speakers.
post #523 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Hmm...any opinion on if these (2 sets)would suffice for rear surrounds and side surrounds in a large open area?
post #524 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm...any opinion on if these (2 sets)would suffice for rear surrounds and side surrounds in a large open area?
Given the ~15* tilt of the woofers and tweeter I don’t think they would work well on a wall unless you mounted them high so they could be aimed down toward your MLP.

If you are looking for in wall speakers the W26 would likely be a better choice.
post #525 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Given the ~15* tilt of the woofers and tweeter I don’t think they would work well on a wall unless you mounted them high so they could be aimed down toward your MLP.

If you are looking for in wall speakers the W26 would likely be a better choice.
I was hoping to do 2 sets for rear surround. All in ceiling.
post #526 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I was hoping to do 2 sets for rear surround. All in ceiling.
If in ceiling then the c34 will work well for you.

Are you looking to do atmos or not?

If so it’s best to have your rear surrounds at ear level and your atmos above you. If you aren’t doing atmos you can do rear surround in the ceiling.
post #527 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
If in ceiling then the c34 will work well for you.

If so it’s best to have your rear surrounds at ear level and your atmos above you. If you aren’t doing atmos you can do rear surround in the ceiling.
No ATMOS.

Just a big open area in a new home currently being built.

I was thinking that one pair wouldn’t be enough for surrounds.

Could I use these for the side and rears in a 7.1 setup ? Would having them In the ceiling be okay? Or would One set suffice?

Last edited by 355F1; 05-21-2019 at 11:34 PM.
post #528 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys...just a quick update.

I have my full RSL theater room wired up, including the Atmos channels. Trying to work out amp draw at the moment to make sure I don't overload the circuit, but I've tested out a few demo tracks, and wow...even without calibration, these new RSLs are dynamic as hell. One thing I've noticed is that they really come alive when you turn them up a tad more than you would initially. In other words, when you turn them up to your preferred volume level, if they sound a bit flat, give them one or two more notches on the dial, and that should fix it. I don't know why RSLs seem to mimic my Magnepans so much, as usually box speakers don't do that, but the RSLs mimic them both in terms of break in and volume.

Also, if anyone else is running an Atmos system, I highly recommend downloading the two Atmos demo clips on the official Dolby site. They are called "Leaf" and "Amaze", respectively. I use my female roommate in a similar role as "Beaker" from the muppets. She's not into audio at all, but she's always willing to listen to stuff when Im making changes. I knew how good the dolby trailers sounded ahead of time, so I made her a bet. I told her up front that this 1-min clip was going to blow her mind...and I bet her that even with that build-up, she'd think the actual demo surpassed the "blowing the mind" stage. It's a bet I won easily.

My furniture should be arriving soon, so once I finish and clean up, I'll be happy to post a few pics if anyone wants to see them. The Atmos channels are more active than I anticipated, even with the "fake" Atmos, as I call it...the Dolby Surround upmixer. I'm using that a lot since I won't be getting a 4k display anytime soon, and in many cases the Atmos track won't stream if it doesn't see a 4k display. Sort of annoying, but thankfully both Dolby Surround and DTS X:Neural are very good upmixers - even with 2 channel source material.

Sorry to be long winded...RSLs rock. Over and out
gajCA, Maxca27 and 355F1 like this.
post #529 of 591 Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

PS. Kwoody is exactly right....I nearly made this mistake. I'm used to surrounds being a few feet above and slightly behind the listener, but as Kwoody said, that's not the case in an Atmos system. Thankfully I saw the diagram at the dolby site before I installed them, or I would have not been a happy camper, having to re-install them while also puttying and painting more holes.

Okay, really going this time. Carry on, gentlemen.
post #530 of 591 Old 05-23-2019, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess I'll call this "alternative placement".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTFrontLeftMain.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2570538   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCenterTop.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	2570540  
Maxca27 likes this.
post #531 of 591 Old 05-23-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I’d be looking at doing all 4 in-Ceiling.

Thoughts? I know not ideal... but would they work?
post #532 of 591 Old 05-23-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I'm pretty impressed with what I'm getting out of the CG25 as a center channel. I've got just under 40 hours of break-in on it and have been comparing with my ATC center channel for a few days.

I think the biggest difference right off the bat is how wide open the RSL sounds. It is like a floodlight, as opposed to the ATC having more or a "spotlight" presentation. Dialogue sounds wide open and free from the cabinet with the RSL,... the ATC is also quite good but it not nearly as open... things sound sort of constricted, like there is a frame around the sound holding it in around the cabinet. Joe Rodgers had mentioned to me in an email about the RSL's not having sonic boundaries and presenting far beyond the cabinets, and I completely agree with that.

I would say the ATC's still bring out a little more detail and clarity/precision in the midrange and treble, but it's more in an analytical/clinical way that does not sound quite as natural as the RSL's presentation. The RSL's sound fuller and have a stronger bass presence, which has tightened up and doesn't sound nearly as bloated as at first. I'm hoping that with another 20-30 hours of break-in the RSL's will just improve a slight bit more in these couple area's... but as of right now the RSL gives the ATC a very good run for it's money... I think I'm about 50/50 on which one I will be keeping, it's a tough choice but I think the RSL's presentation may win out... especially if they still have room for a little more improvement with more hours on them.
Summa likes this.
post #533 of 591 Old 05-23-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxca27 View Post
I'm pretty impressed with what I'm getting out of the CG25 as a center channel. I've got just under 40 hours of break-in on it and have been comparing with my ATC center channel for a few days.

I think the biggest difference right off the bat is how wide open the RSL sounds. It is like a floodlight, as opposed to the ATC having more or a "spotlight" presentation. Dialogue sounds wide open and free from the cabinet with the RSL,... the ATC is also quite good but it not nearly as open... things sound sort of constricted, like there is a frame around the sound holding it in around the cabinet. Joe Rodgers had mentioned to me in an email about the RSL's not having sonic boundaries and presenting far beyond the cabinets, and I completely agree with that.

I would say the ATC's still bring out a little more detail and clarity/precision in the midrange and treble, but it's more in an analytical/clinical way that does not sound quite as natural as the RSL's presentation. The RSL's sound fuller and have a stronger bass presence, which has tightened up and doesn't sound nearly as bloated as at first. I'm hoping that with another 20-30 hours of break-in the RSL's will just improve a slight bit more in these couple area's... but as of right now the RSL gives the ATC a very good run for it's money... I think I'm about 50/50 on which one I will be keeping, it's a tough choice but I think the RSL's presentation may win out... especially if they still have room for a little more improvement with more hours on them.

Agree 100%. They have an openness and transparency that a lot of mid-fi box speakers don't have. I honestly don't know if it's that venting/wave guide thing they do internally, but whatever it is, it's legit. With break in and a little juice, these things really sound great.
post #534 of 591 Old 05-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I’d be looking at doing all 4 in-Ceiling.

Thoughts? I know not ideal... but would they work?
Yes they will work and I think they would be the best option you could chose if going to mount in the ceiling due to the tilt. This will help direct the sound at you vs a traditional non tilted speaker which will just fire straight down.

We all just wanted to make sure you know the trade offs if you were looking to do atmos or not.
post #535 of 591 Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Yes they will work and I think they would be the best option you could chose if going to mount in the ceiling due to the tilt. This will help direct the sound at you vs a traditional non tilted speaker which will just fire straight down.

We all just wanted to make sure you know the trade offs if you were looking to do atmos or not.
Thank you for your concern and honesty!

I am entrusting my new home build to this forum!

I have Energy RC30's and an LCR upfront that I have had for years and I love them but since I am building a new house I figured I am going to start from scratch.

Again....my only REAL concern is that the RSL system won't be loud enough! I will be getting a new Denon AVR-4400 or 6400.
post #536 of 591 Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for your concern and honesty!

I am entrusting my new home build to this forum!

I have Energy RC30's and an LCR upfront that I have had for years and I love them but since I am building a new house I figured I am going to start from scratch.

Again....my only REAL concern is that the RSL system won't be loud enough! I will be getting a new Denon AVR-4400 or 6400.
They will be plenty loud enough unless you like rock concert 120db levels!

Look into a NAD 758 v3 or 777 receiver. These have Dirac room correction which is superior to Auduessy. I had an x4400 and sold it off to go with the 758. The 758 has less power but plenty to fill my ~20x22x9’ non dedicated, non room treated, concrete floored basement basement HT viewing area.

The draw back to the 758 is that it only has 3 HDMI inputs and can only do 7 channels powered. I got a small class D amp to power one pair of my overhead speakers. No difference in sound quality using the extra amp for this one pair of speakers.

The x4400 can play louder, no question, but it’s wasted power I don’t need as I would never listen at full power.
post #537 of 591 Old 05-24-2019, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I guess I'll call this "alternative placement".
What are those stands/bases?
post #538 of 591 Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffda View Post
What are those stands/bases?
The speaker is directly resting on a stand from IsoAcoustics: http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/aperta-series/

...and then the stone plinth is a custom job by this dude https://www.etsy.com/shop/dizzyStone
post #539 of 591 Old 05-24-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
The speaker is directly resting on a stand from IsoAcoustics: http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/aperta-series/

...and then the stone plinth is a custom job by this dude https://www.etsy.com/shop/dizzyStone

Those stands are quite cool, appear to be a good value too.
Summa likes this.
post #540 of 591 Old 05-24-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’m going to use my 4 CG24’s as sides and rears and use the new CG25’s as the front 3 . I have 2 of the original Speedwoofer Subs that they discontinued I plan on using as well, I’m curious as to how they will integrate and perform . I have the idea to possibly get two Rythmik Subs if I’m not happy , I go back and forth. I can’t imagine I won’t be happy as these original Speedwoofer Subs were an entirely different animal than the current ones, just really amazing. Looking at the Argosy speaker stands with IsoAcoustics built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page