RSL Speakers Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 204Likes

post #541 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi -

I'm debating between the SVS Prime Satellite system (SB1000 + 5 prime satellites) and RSL CG3 5.1 System (a Speedwoofer + 5 CG3s). Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000 View Post
Hi -

I'm debating between the SVS Prime Satellite system (SB1000 + 5 prime satellites) and RSL CG3 5.1 System (a Speedwoofer + 5 CG3s). Thoughts?
RSL! Of course, if you post this in the SVS thread, the answer will be different.

Just order a pair of both, then send back the loser and fill out the set with the winner.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #543 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
RSL! Of course, if you post this in the SVS thread, the answer will be different.

Just order a pair of both, then send back the loser and fill out the set with the winner.
That feels like I'm gaming the return policy, though.

Is that kosher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 2265
Quote:

Is that kosher?
It's the way of things now, with little to no retail establishments available for actual demoing. Don't worry, the return cost is already factored into the price. Plus, you will be buying additional equipment from the winner, so it's fair to both parties. For example, Crutchfield charges $10 for any pair of bookshelf speakers to be returned (the actual cost is probably more than twice that) and they even tell their customers to order multiple sets of speakers and send back the loser.

It's the only way you will be able to actually have confidence in your final decision. Otherwise, if you order just one, you will always wonder if you made the right decision. There is no substitute for a demo in your own home with your own equipment.

The folks who are gaming the system are the ones who buy a subwoofer, overdrive it into failure, then return it as defective. I've seen some posts here where folks sort of brag about doing just that. Be careful that you don't damage the speakers and return them in the condition they were sent, and you will have fulfilled all your obligations.
jasn, D Bone and bubbrik like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-24-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #545 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Is that kosher?
An ethics question!

I'd say it's ethical as long as you sincerely wish to compare both products. Each company makes the offer for one of two reasons:

1. They sincerely believe they provide the best product on the market at it's price point, and are very confident that a large majority of customers will agree.
  2. They are employing a marketing strategy to influence customers to believe that No.1 is true.

So, in my opinion:

If it's No. 1, then they both are sincere, and are honestly leaving it up to you to decide who is right. So the best product gets a sale and the runnerup pays.

If it's No.2, then the company with the inferior product is making a cynical choice to manipulate potential customers, and so deserves to pay for your test!
post #546 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8461 Post(s)
Liked: 5644
Quote:

Is that kosher?
Not in the least.

Geoff A. J., California
post #547 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
Those stands are quite cool, appear to be a good value too.
IsoAcoustics is great. They have stands at a few different price points, and the guy who did the stone plinths does amazing work for far less money that I've seen in the past. I had never heard of that Etsy.com site until relatively recently, but now I love it. They have individual artists on there creating some really cool custom stuff. Lots of movie memorabilia, speaker stands, etc...and most of them can be very creative with custom requests. Really neat!
post #548 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is that kosher?
I agree with what the other guys said...and I've known Joe and Howard of RSL for several years now, they get very, very few returns. So I can promise you they'd be 100% in favor of you ordering some of their stuff for the purposes of evaluation, knowing you may end up returning it. Their shipping materials make it very easy to return the items if you're not happy with them. I have about 15 RSL speakers sitting around the house by now, and even though several of them aren't in use currently since I upgraded to the 5 line, there's just no way I'd sell them. They're fantastic bang for the buck. I have no doubt SVS's products are excellent, as well. It will likely be a very tough decision for you, but one that Joe and Howard would no doubt encourage you to take part in.
post #549 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I agree with what the other guys said...and I've known Joe and Howard of RSL for several years now, they get very, very few returns. So I can promise you they'd be 100% in favor of you ordering some of their stuff for the purposes of evaluation, knowing you may end up returning it. Their shipping materials make it very easy to return the items if you're not happy with them. I have about 15 RSL speakers sitting around the house by now, and even though several of them aren't in use currently since I upgraded to the 5 line, there's just no way I'd sell them. They're fantastic bang for the buck. I have no doubt SVS's products are excellent, as well. It will likely be a very tough decision for you, but one that Joe and Howard would no doubt encourage you to take part in.
A bigger problem is that SVS sells it as a discounted package. So buying 2 of the satellites first makes it a more expensive proposition. But if I asked them they'd probably say yes.

No one here has said to demo the subwoofers. So are the SB1000 and Speedwoofer pretty comparable?
post #550 of 578 Old 05-24-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A bigger problem is that SVS sells it as a discounted package. So buying 2 of the satellites first makes it a more expensive proposition. But if I asked them they'd probably say yes.

No one here has said to demo the subwoofers. So are the SB1000 and Speedwoofer pretty comparable?
I've owned several SVS subs, but not that model. And I also have a Speedwoofer. IMO, and generally speaking, the speedwoofer will sound as clean, or cleaner, than the SVS, but the SVS will have the edge in output. In my system, for example, I use the Speedwoofer for music with some Magnepans, and then I have Power Sound Audio subwoofers (by Tom V, one of the founders of SVS) in my theater system. The speedwoofers sound great with movies, but they might be taxed beyond their limit depending on how intense you like your movies and how large the room is.
post #551 of 578 Old 05-25-2019, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any memorial day sales? Looking to pick up (4) C34E speakers for an Atmos setup.
post #552 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 7
After a 1.5-hour phone call with Howard @ RSL I have decided that I am going with the following setup:

3 CG25's up front for LCR
2 CG3's as rear surrounds mounted on wall brackets

(Undecided on sub but will most likely try 1 or 2 Speedwoofers)

House is a brand new build and will be done in January.

(I MAY audition one other set of bookshelf speakers in an AB comparison, possibly from SVS, at the same time just to make sure I made the right decision)

I will definitely post all of my results (NOT one of those guys who posts and disappears!)
Summa likes this.
post #553 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
After a 1.5-hour phone call with Howard @ RSL I have decided that I am going with the following setup:

3 CG25's up front for LCR
2 CG3's as rear surrounds mounted on wall brackets

(Undecided on sub but will most likely try 1 or 2 Speedwoofers)

House is a brand new build and will be done in January.

(I MAY audition one other set of bookshelf speakers in an AB comparison, possibly from SVS, at the same time just to make sure I made the right decision)

I will definitely post all of my results (NOT one of those guys who posts and disappears!)
I'm very happy with how well the 3s blend in with the 25s in surround duty. I have them for my Atmos speakers, but they're active enough that it's easy to discern that they are a solid match. Good choice on the 25s across the front. Especially after they break in, they are extremely dynamic and detailed. I'm putting the finishing touches on a full RSL theater, and this past weekend was the first time I really let it rip. We watched "Adrift" on Showtime. For some crazy reason, Showtime on FireTV only streams in 2.0 stereo. But the receiver applied DTS Neural processing, which turned those two channels into a full 5.2.4 presentation. So even with a relatively poor quality audio source, the RSLs sounded amazing. The 3s up top handled a storm scene like a champ, and gave the impression that we were right in the middle of it. So I have no doubt they'll be fantastic as surrounds in your system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTPanorama2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	846.8 KB
ID:	2572536  
post #554 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I'm very happy with how well the 3s blend in with the 25s in surround duty. I have them for my Atmos speakers, but they're active enough that it's easy to discern that they are a solid match. Good choice on the 25s across the front. Especially after they break in, they are extremely dynamic and detailed. I'm putting the finishing touches on a full RSL theater, and this past weekend was the first time I really let it rip. We watched "Adrift" on Showtime. For some crazy reason, Showtime on FireTV only streams in 2.0 stereo. But the receiver applied DTS Neural processing, which turned those two channels into a full 5.2.4 presentation. So even with a relatively poor quality audio source, the RSLs sounded amazing. The 3s up top handled a storm scene like a champ, and gave the impression that we were right in the middle of it. So I have no doubt they'll be fantastic as surrounds in your system.
Awesome!

Looking forward to hearing more from you over the year about your RSL setup!
Summa likes this.
post #555 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 PM

on a side note.....

I may or may not have heard that RSL is in fact working on releasing a larger subwoofer by Jan 2020.....
post #556 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 2121 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Quote:
I may or may not have heard that RSL is in fact working on releasing a larger subwoofer by Jan 2020.....
I may or may not know even more about a subwoofer or subwoofers they might be releasing.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #557 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:
I may or may not have heard that RSL is in fact working on releasing a larger subwoofer by Jan 2020.....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I may or may not know even more about a subwoofer or subwoofers they might be releasing. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
Well this is amazing!

I might be one of the first to buy if the timing coincides with my new home being built!!
post #558 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Given how good the Speedwoofer 10 is, it's pretty exciting to imagine what they could do with one that had a bit more horsepower.
jasn and 355F1 like this.
post #559 of 578 Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Given how good the Speedwoofer 10 is, it's pretty exciting to imagine what they could do with one that had a bit more horsepower.
THIS is why I am excited!!!!

I hope the timing works in my favor!

My home should be completed in January!
Summa likes this.
post #560 of 578 Old 05-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Liked: 17
Happy to see the resumption of good feedback here about the Speedwoofer 10s'. I've owned two for a couple of years now (mated with Elac Uni-Fi towers) and love 'em. Since their release it seems they've fallen off the radar, even on this RSL thread.
post #561 of 578 Old 05-28-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn View Post
Happy to see the resumption of good feedback here about the Speedwoofer 10s'. I've owned two for a couple of years now (mated with Elac Uni-Fi towers) and love 'em. Since their release it seems they've fallen off the radar, even on this RSL thread.
Just happened to catch a very brief, but very glowing bit of praise for the Speedwoofer. This guy has clearly owned some very serious high end gear, so high praise indeed. See paragraph #5 for the RSL reference:
https://hometheaterreview.com/goodby...le-new-system/
jasn likes this.
post #562 of 578 Old 05-29-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I may or may not know even more about a subwoofer or subwoofers they might be releasing.
I remember that when the original press release for the CG5 line came out that a new Speedwoofer was in the works as well but would be released after the the CG5's. I assume that is still the plan but i haven't seen anything new on the subject since then.
post #563 of 578 Old 05-29-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
I remember that when the original press release for the CG5 line came out that a new Speedwoofer was in the works as well but would be released after the the CG5's. I assume that is still the plan but i haven't seen anything new on the subject since then.
You are indeed correct, the release of the two products was supposed to be pretty close together. I have an NDA with RSL so I can't provide much insight but I can say there was a very good reason for the delay.

post #564 of 578 Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I love my RSL speakers.. The beauty of the sound gave me so much love for music I never had. Only complaint I ever had is the sub wasn't quite powerful enough. Fingers crossed this new rumor is true.
post #565 of 578 Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad WV View Post
I love my RSL speakers.. The beauty of the sound gave me so much love for music I never had. Only complaint I ever had is the sub wasn't quite powerful enough. Fingers crossed this new rumor is true.
WHich model do you have?
post #566 of 578 Old 06-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Liked: 0
One thing I am grateful for is I have 2 of their first Speedwoofer Subs. I believe they were like almost 900$ each . They stopped making them due to whatever was different about them became too expensive to keep making at the price they wanted. These things are amazing, they weigh a ton and I wouldn’t trade them for any other subs I’ve heard . Maybe I don’t get the absolute bottom frequencies some of the big subs get, all I know is musically they are SPOT ON , and in HT they shake my walls.

I’ve never heard the newer models but I’ve heard as good as they are they aren’t what the originals were .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #567 of 578 Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Is that kosher?
It is kosher and I've done exactly that with some RSL CG23's that I compared to Ascend Acoustic HTM-200 SE's. After doing a fairly extensive in home demo I returned the RSL speakers and Joe Rodgers was a bit surprised that I wanted to return them, doesn't happen often, but he was happy to once I let him know what transpired.

Here is my reply to Joe...

"I’m not surprised to hear that you don’t get many CG23s returned because I found it to be a very good speaker.

I purchased the CG23s and a pair of speakers from one of your competitors. I spent almost an entire 30 days listening to both pair. I put well over 100 hours of listening into each pair and I a/b’d them in the location they will eventually be permanently located.

Ultimately I settled on your competitor. It is also a fantastic sounding speaker. I plan on building a 5.1.4 Atmos system. The reasons I decided to choose your competitor was because their speaker was sealed and more compact which made placement a little easier. Plus I can use one of their models in every location which makes timbre matching exact. The price of your competitor was also a factor. I can complete the system using their speakers for $1268.00 while using a combination of 5 CG23s and 4 CG3s for height channels sets me back $1540.00.

In summary, I had a great experience with your speakers and I’m sad to see them go. I would not hesitate to recommend them to others. There were just a couple of reasons I decided to go another direction, not the least of which was price. In short, you did nothing wrong. Quite the opposite, you did a lot right!"
post #568 of 578 Old 06-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 9
A review of an RSL CG5 system finally is out... https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-cg...nnel-reviewed/
Summa likes this.
post #569 of 578 Old 06-10-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxca27 View Post
A review of an RSL CG5 system finally is out... https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-cg...nnel-reviewed/
I would have published mine 2 weeks ago if the photo's had come out OK. Supposedly we're shooting them again this weekend. The text is done so pic's are the only thing holding up my article.
openbaffled and Maxca27 like this.

post #570 of 578 Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can't wait to read your review Jim. Those look like great speakers.

Is anyone using the CG3 on their desktop, nearfield? How do they sound. I'd like to build a 5.1 system in my small office for mostly multi channel SACD's. Also looking at Totem Kin mini and Amphion Helium 410. Anyone heard any of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page