RSL Speakers Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #571 of 613 Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Can't wait to read your review Jim. Those look like great speakers.
They are, RSL hit a home run with the 5 series.

As a matter of course I never read any other article when I'm evaluating something, because I don't someone else's opinion to potentially taint my own assessment, but I did check out that link since my eval is done already. He and I have come to essentially the same conclusion. I didn't find an issue with over driving the CG5's like he did - quite the opposite actually - but I don't know what his circumstances were. I pushed them, as you probably expected I would, but perhaps he went even further than I did. I tapped out when my ears did. If I want to keep doing reviews I need at least some of my hearing to remain intact.
Summa and Ben23 like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 613 Old 06-11-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxca27 View Post
A review of an RSL CG5 system finally is out... https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-cg...nnel-reviewed/
So his main issue with them involved him cranking them up "stupidly loud" and bottomed out the driver. Very strange. Not sure why anyone would do that, but the rest of what he said seems to echo my own experience. I posted earlier about their transparency and how I prefer speakers that sound awful at times, because it means they are transparent enough to allow both poor and stellar recordings to be presented in a truthful manner. He's also correct that they stay clean as hell when played loudly...I just don't typically run mine to stupidly loud levels, apparently lol.

Either way, glad they're getting some good press.

I'm also looking forward to Jim's review *thumb's up*
post #573 of 613 Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

As a matter of course I never read any other article when I'm evaluating something, because I don't someone else's opinion to potentially taint my own assessment, but I did check out that link since my eval is done already. He and I have come to essentially the same conclusion. I didn't find an issue with over driving the CG5's like he did - quite the opposite actually - but I don't know what his circumstances were. I pushed them, as you probably expected I would, but perhaps he went even further than I did. I tapped out when my ears did. If I want to keep doing reviews I need at least some of my hearing to remain intact.
Yeah, that was very odd. Of the hundreds of reviews Ive read over the past 20 years, can't say I recall anyone making a concerted effort to blow up the speakers as part of the review. I'm sure Joe and Howard will be thrilled to get a bottomed out pair of CG5s back, even though he claims there was no damage.

Like you, Iv'e had mine pretty damn loud, so no idea what the heck that guy was doing.
Maxca27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 613 Old 06-11-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2850 Post(s)
Liked: 2614
I have read innumerable reviews in my 50 years of love for this hobby and never have I read one like that. What the hell he thought he was doing is beyond me. Every speaker can be bottomed out given sufficient power. To purposely set about to do that (seems to me that was the unspoken goal), then to go on and on about it to end the review?

Bizarre. Kind of a back door hit-piece?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-11-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #575 of 613 Old 06-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
I have read innumerable reviews in my 50 years of love for this hobby and never have I read one like that. What the hell he thought he was doing is beyond me. Every speaker can be bottomed out given sufficient power. To purposely set about to do that (seems to me that was the unspoken goal), then to go on and on about it to end the review?

Bizarre. Kind of a back door hit-piece?

I agree, it seems like a strange thing to do to a speaker ... and then to go on about it in length. But now that I re-read the review, I think he was basically making the point that the RSL's hold up so well under tons of power and take a long time to eventually give out or break up... he didn't hear any indication the break up point was coming because they were still holding it together and sounding good even at those insane volumes.
post #576 of 613 Old 06-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Has anyone here compared the c34e to any other in-ceiling speaker?

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #577 of 613 Old 06-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I finally have placed my order for three CG23’s. If they are as good as I assume they are I am either adding two more or the CG3’s for the rears. I considered the CG5’s but with saving up for a house it just didn’t make sense.
I already have a speedwoofer 10 that’s I have been running with Polk Monitors from 11 years ago. They have been good speakers but time to upgrade.
Are there any set up tips anyone recommends? I have a Denon AVR-X2500. Thanks
post #578 of 613 Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This weekend I had a guest over to enjoy a movie in the "RSL Theater" with me. She's not into the hobby *at all*, but she does love movies and music. I don't recall her ever making any comments about my Magnepan 5.1 system that she's watched movies on several times. But this time, she spoke up.

I played the Dolby Atmos demos, "Leaf" and "Amaze". After I played them, she looked at me and said, "I swear to God, I thought there were monkeys about to jump on my shoulders. This sounds better than the theater."

Just like the CG4s and CG24s, this new line just keeps getting better and better.
post #579 of 613 Old 06-20-2019, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I received my CG23 a few days ago but I didn’t get a chance to really try them out. Unfortunately I was sent the now discontinued CG23. I did debate keeping them but since I am going to run the CG3 for the rears I wanted to have them match up looks wise with the fronts. I left Joe a message and within a few hours the exchange was in process. If they had any of the older CG3’s left I would have just kept them.
As I said I replaced a set of Polk Audio monitor series from about 12 years ago or so.
I have been demoing a lot of speakers as of late. Martin Logan’s motion series (not the i versions) B&O, Jamo, Elac, DefTec and even took a listen to McIntosh and Sonus Faber. I knew I wanted detail and a decent soundstage. I was very much set on the Martin Logan’s until I recently took a hard listen again to them. While they were clear the soundstage seemed almost flat to me. There just wasn’t any depth.
I preferred the Elac Debuts over them. But I was very intrigued by the RSL speakers. I already have their sub but I will be the first to admit I was not a fan of the 4 inch drivers. That is one reason it took so long. I was awaiting the CG5’s to come out. Truthfully the price was a tad bit higher than I was expecting but I felt comfortable if I chose to go that direction.
I decided that sticking to a budget for now just made sense. I wanted to upgrade and I didn’t want to break the bank this go around.
So far I am very impressed. This is what I have been searching for. The sound stage is 3 dimensional. The clarity is fantastic. And the sub blends in so seamlessly it is mind blowing. And I absolutely love that my entire front area is the exact same speaker. The transitions between speakers are seamless.
More people need to give RSL a demo.
Summa likes this.
post #580 of 613 Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

CG5/CG25/SpeedWoofer 10S Review

I just posted my evaluation on the CG5/CG25/SpeedWoofer 10S. To access it click this link.
yanks1 and Ben23 like this.

post #581 of 613 Old 06-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I just posted my evaluation on the CG5/CG25/SpeedWoofer 10S. To access it click this link.
Awesome!

Sadly I came across a Mint condition Energy RC deal (70, LCR, & brand new 10’s) a couple weeks ago and will not be doing my plan of RSL’s in my home currently being built.

I am looking forward to their new sub as I am undecided on my dual sub brand as of now.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #582 of 613 Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
A
I am looking forward to their new sub as I am undecided on my dual sub brand as of now.
New sub?

Is RSL planning a Speedwoofer 12?
355F1 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #583 of 613 Old 06-25-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
New sub?

Is RSL planning a Speedwoofer 12?
Keep your eye on this space for info about something...
355F1 likes this.

post #584 of 613 Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Keep your eye on this space for info about something...
Very good.

The Speedwoofer is a great sub, no doubt, but a bigger brother would be great to see.

Geoff A. J., California
post #585 of 613 Old 06-25-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Howard Rodgers, a bastion of 10" subwoofers, heard the comments and is doing something about it. I can't discuss much because I have an NDA with them, but I can say he's putting his touch on other offerings in the subwoofer space.
gajCA likes this.

post #586 of 613 Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Howard Rodgers, a bastion of 10" subwoofers, heard the comments and is doing something about it. I can't discuss much because I have an NDA with them, but I can say he's putting his touch on other offerings in the subwoofer space.
Excellent.

One day I'm going to swap the dual 8" Yamaha subs in my secondary "mostly music" room for dual Speedwoofer 10s.

Don't tell my wife.

Maybe I can do it when she's on a trip with her sister and she'll never know!
JimWilson and Rgarc like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #587 of 613 Old 06-27-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Has anyone here compared the c34e to any other in-ceiling speaker?
I own but have not compared the c34e speakers. I can tell you they perform very well in my setup. I have a cathedral ceiling and the RSL design allows me to direct the drivers and tweeter towards my listening position.
yanks1 likes this.
post #588 of 613 Old 06-28-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 527
I've loved my Speedwoofer 10S and am excited to hear they're likely working on a 12. That will be hard to pass up. What a great company!
yanks1 likes this.
post #589 of 613 Old 07-15-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

I wanted to provide an update on the new SpeedWoofer. The short version is... you're in for a surprise.

RSL has something pretty cool in the works, the word "patent" may have even be used in one or two of our conversations. The description of what they've designed sounds very intriguing to me. I have been promised one from the first batch so I'm holding on to the 5 series speakers and will do a follow-up piece to this review at a future date. It won't be a full-on evaluation, more like a post script, so I should be able to publish it shortly after launch. More to come.

post #590 of 613 Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I wanted to provide an update on the new SpeedWoofer. The short version is... you're in for a surprise.

RSL has something pretty cool in the works, the word "patent" may have even be used in one or two of our conversations. The description of what they've designed sounds very intriguing to me. I have been promised one from the first batch so I'm holding on to the 5 series speakers and will do a follow-up piece to this review at a future date. It won't be a full-on evaluation, more like a post script, so I should be able to publish it shortly after launch. More to come.
Any expected time frame? Are we looking at weeks or months till this is released? We live in such an instant everything world that people get impatient and will be refreshing this forum 10 times a day looking for the update.
post #591 of 613 Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
Any expected time frame? Are we looking at weeks or months till this is released? We live in such an instant everything world that people get impatient and will be refreshing this forum 10 times a day looking for the update.
It won't be weeks. It sounds like the final design is in sight, then comes setting up manufacturing and distribution.

post #592 of 613 Old 07-23-2019, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Was holding out for the 5 series but I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a PSB speaker package.

4 PSB Imagine XB bookshelf speakers.

PSB Imagine XC center channel speaker

PSB SubSeries 200 10" subwoofer

I am going to add a 2nd sub and debating if I should just switch to the RSL 5.2 5 series system you've reviewed. Money aside would this be worth transitioning to the RSL for home theater purposes mostly movie watching?

Last edited by dimi78; 07-23-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #593 of 613 Old 07-24-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Was holding out for the 5 series but I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a PSB speaker package.

4 PSB Imagine XB bookshelf speakers.

PSB Imagine XC center channel speaker

PSB SubSeries 200 10" subwoofer

I am going to add a 2nd sub and debating if I should just switch to the RSL 5.2 5 series system you've reviewed. Money aside would this be worth transitioning to the RSL for home theater purposes mostly movie watching?
I actually reviewed almost the exact same PSB system so I'm quite familiar with that as well. While I love what RSL has done with the 5 series I think that move would be lateral. PSB has a hit on their hands too with the Imagine X line so I personally don't see any benefit to switching.
gajCA likes this.

post #594 of 613 Old 08-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Boone View Post
I own but have not compared the c34e speakers. I can tell you they perform very well in my setup. I have a cathedral ceiling and the RSL design allows me to direct the drivers and tweeter towards my listening position.
How do they sound for full-range music for whole house audio?
post #595 of 613 Old 08-12-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey everyone...

Just a head's up that I've decided to consider selling my set of CG24s (3) and CG4s (2). Since upgrading to the RSL 5 series, I just don't have anywhere to put them, and I hate to have them just collecting dust. If the right buyer comes along, I'll consider letting them go.

If interested, please send me a message to discuss pricing. Im in Northern GA, about 45mi NE of Atlanta. They are available for audition before purchase. I prefer not to ship them, but will consider it under the right circumstances.

Here are some reviews of these speakers for those who may be interested.
https://www.audioholics.com/surround...speaker-review https://hometheaterreview.com/rogers...stem-reviewed/
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...speaker-system
post #596 of 613 Old 08-16-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Interesting to see that RogerSound Labs is back in the picture. The CG5 spealers look intriguing. I can remember back-in-the-day RSL speakers were very popular, especially here in Southern California. Used to see them in the sunday L.A. Times ad's. Kenwood amp's, etc.,...

If I'm correct the original creators were Cal Tech engineers?
post #597 of 613 Old 08-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
I still have an Akai CD player that I bought from Rogersound Labs in Pasadena 30 years ago.
WestCoastD and Lp85253 like this.

Afro GT
post #598 of 613 Old 08-16-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I still have an Akai CD player that I bought from Rogersound Labs in Pasadena 30 years ago.
exactly, I frequented the same store, on Rosemead if I'm correct?
post #599 of 613 Old 08-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Yes, in Sears shopping center on Rosemead and Foothill

Afro GT
post #600 of 613 Old 08-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)