RSL Speakers Owners Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes

post #241 of 591 Old 02-01-2018, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
Nice. Can you share a picture showing the seating and the relative atmos rsl speaker positions? I have a similar ceiling height and still debating atmos or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will try to grab a couple photos tonight. Basically my room is probably 14 feet wide by maybe 40 length, with 7ft 4 in ceilings. I have a walkout basement, with half the basement finished. But I can tell you that Atmos is absolutely worth it. Its hard to explain, but the fullness of the sound, is just worlds better, and that's not an exaggeration. I was leery of cutting holes in my ceiling, and the Rsl C34 require a pretty big cut out, but I promise you that you will want to just watch movies , just for the sound. Many things don't live up to the hype, but Atmos absolutely does.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 591 Old 02-05-2018, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Any experience using the C34e as surrounds rather than Atmos? I'm forced to do all in ceiling surrounds and the price on these makes them very tempting...the room is about 15x20.
I installed 5 C34's in my friends ceiling along with a Speedwoofer 10s in the corner with Great results. Once all hooked up and running the whole family was blown away. I even got a an awesome BBQ'd Tri-Tip dinner out of the deal!! Pretty big room too, 20'x20' at least.

It just seems that you can't go wrong with RSL!
BobDV and yanks1 like this.

"goodtimes"
post #243 of 591 Old 02-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
I installed 5 C34's in my friends ceiling along with a Speedwoofer 10s in the corner with Great results. Once all hooked up and running the whole family was blown away. I even got a an awesome BBQ'd Tri-Tip dinner out of the deal!! Pretty big room too, 20'x20' at least.

It just seems that you can't go wrong with RSL!
BBQ dinner and appreciation for audio...that's the dream!

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 591 Old 02-13-2018, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post
I will try to grab a couple photos tonight. Basically my room is probably 14 feet wide by maybe 40 length, with 7ft 4 in ceilings. I have a walkout basement, with half the basement finished. But I can tell you that Atmos is absolutely worth it. Its hard to explain, but the fullness of the sound, is just worlds better, and that's not an exaggeration. I was leery of cutting holes in my ceiling, and the Rsl C34 require a pretty big cut out, but I promise you that you will want to just watch movies , just for the sound. Many things don't live up to the hype, but Atmos absolutely does.
Exactly. I was just saying the same thing in another thread. I watched the Diamond Luxe version of Gravity last night and was seriously blown away. The C34E's blend in absolutely perfectly and add a layer to my setup I didn't believe was possible. I haven't listened to any other in ceiling Atmos speakers but with these, I don't think I'll ever have to. It's not every day that $600 Canadian can bring this much of an upgrade to ones sound.
BobDV likes this.
post #245 of 591 Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta1345 View Post
I recently ordered/received a pair of CG3 and one CG23 to see if I liked them better than my current set up, Klipsch RF-280FA and a RC-450. I am letting them break in for the recommended time and will post back on what I think. Looking forward to trying these out.
Well had the speakers for awhile but I had to send them back. They are great speakers for the price but I would do the CG23 for the fronts including the center and the CG3 for the rears. The only reason they went back is that the Klipsch's needed to be sold and I could not find a buyer for what I was asking. Another reason was that the klipsch's were really starting to wear on me. I could not get through a whole movie with out getting a headache or just getting ear fatigue. I am not sure what has changed but they were just not doing it for me...So I finally sold them and ordered 3 CG23's and 2 CG3's for my little theater. I would have ordered the C34E's but they are out of stock as of now. I really cannot wait until they come in. In my original listening test between the Cg3 and the klipsch's the RSL got just as loud and were just as dynamic if not more so than the Klipsch's were. I am honestly glad that I got rid of them. Hopefully some more people will find these wonderful little gems for themselves.
post #246 of 591 Old 02-28-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
W26 In-Walls

Like some of you, I had never heard of RSL before stumbling onto the brand while researching potential Atmos speakers, here on AVS. I have heard nothing but good things about the C34E and am giving them serious consideration for my ceiling, for Atmos. FWIW, I’m currently debating location and quantity of speakers but am leaning towards eight in-ceilings. The room is 12’ x 20’ x 7.5’, with two rows of three theater recliners.

At the same time, I am considering replacing the eight (8) in-wall surround speakers that are currently in my dedicated HT. (three LS surrounds, three RS surrounds, and two rear surrounds). The current speakers are NXG Pro-6330, IIRC. Truthfully, I just have never been happy with them, and I’m at a point where I’d like to try something different with the hope for improved surround performance. Of special consideration is my imminent upgrade to Atmos and the need to have a full complement of speakers that are capable of delivering the best sonic performance that is possible.

For purposes of concealment and as part of the design of the HT, all surrounds are in columns that are part of the architecure of the room; I’d like to stay with in-walls for that reason.

With that in mind, does anyone have any experience with RSL’s W26 in-wall speakers, for use as surround speakers? If so, I have questions:

General impression of the sound quality, as a surround speaker or even as a main speaker if that is how you use them?

Is it safe to assume they will be a good timbre-match to the C34s?

I’m currently running VMPS RM30s up front (ribbons), with RM30 center, and a VMPS Larger sub. I don’t know if those speakers are in my long-range plans or if I will make a change, but in the short run, would the RSL in-walls (and in-ceilings) be a good sonic match for them? In truth, I’m not sure how sensitive I am to timbre differences; it’s not something that’s ever bothered me with the VMPS/NXG combo, and I’ve been living with it since 2006.

How would you “value” the W26 in-walls? Do they “punch above their weight” in the same way the bookshelf systems and C34Es appear to?

By the way, I did call RSL last week and had a very nice conversation with Howard; he was extremely patient with me and I had the impression he would have talked audio with me as long as I would have liked to stay on the line. He provided lots of very balanced, unbiased information. I was impressed.

I may have more questions but I’ll hold there for now. I’m hoping some of you can provide your first-hand experiences. If you would like any more info regarding my room, equipment, treatments, etc, please don’t hesitate to ask.

TIA for the help!

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by Scott-C; 02-28-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added link to W26 speakers
post #247 of 591 Old 02-28-2018, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
It kind of makes me upset that this thread only has 7 pages and there's other threads that have 50+ pages and IMO some of those speakers don't sound as good as these RSL speakers. Again it's that mentality of looking at the specs and size of the speakers and making assumptions. I think some people underestimate what a smaller speaker with a subwoofer can do, and these blend with a subwoofer like nothing I've ever heard before. I would love to hear how they blend with their own subwoofer it must sound really good.
I can't add much to the page count but should be good for a few threads. In quest of a diminutive center to satisfy the wife
I asked for suggestions from this community and was pointed to several options including the CG23, the most compelling and intriguing suggestions because it looked to be much more than just a sound stick.
That was last night. Today I was on the phone with Joe - who I now understand is THE Joe - and tonight I have the last of the open box A stock CG24 and one of the last new pairs of CG4 on order.
These will serve LCR duty until the Philharmonic BMR arrive in couple of months when the CG4 will move to surround. I'm hoping the BMR and CG24 will play nice together, but at this point I'm really not too concerned. But I am thankful.
I'd never heard of RSL or Philharmonic but in two different threads I was directed to these small manufacturers with compelling stories producing quality product for reasonable prices who appear to be in business for the love of it. Is this a great place or what!
RayGuy, jjackkrash and yanks1 like this.
post #248 of 591 Old 03-02-2018, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
I can't add much to the page count but should be good for a few threads. In quest of a diminutive center to satisfy the wife
I asked for suggestions from this community and was pointed to several options including the CG23, the most compelling and intriguing suggestions because it looked to be much more than just a sound stick.
That was last night. Today I was on the phone with Joe - who I now understand is THE Joe - and tonight I have the last of the open box A stock CG24 and one of the last new pairs of CG4 on order.
These will serve LCR duty until the Philharmonic BMR arrive in couple of months when the CG4 will move to surround. I'm hoping the BMR and CG24 will play nice together, but at this point I'm really not too concerned. But I am thankful.
I'd never heard of RSL or Philharmonic but in two different threads I was directed to these small manufacturers with compelling stories producing quality product for reasonable prices who appear to be in business for the love of it. Is this a great place or what!
I too have loved my CG24 front stage (LCR) and CG4 rear surrounds... very powerful for what they are and have a great sound signature, definitely mighty mights!
They have mixed perfectly with my JTR 118HT subs... I love my system!!
The RSL even replaced some Chane Speakers I have and love... the Chanes moved to a secondary theatre room...
I am interested in how your experience with the Philharmonics will be. Please return and report on your experience with those and how they compare with the RSL speakers if you would!

Let's keep this thread movin'!
post #249 of 591 Old 03-03-2018, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by warndry View Post
I am interested in how your experience with the Philharmonics will be. Please return and report on your experience with those and how they compare with the RSL speakers if you would!

Most definitely will report back but it will probably be mid-end of May before it's all sorted out.
What I'm most interested to hear is how forward the CG24 really is compared to the BMR and what effect that has on dialog clarity / intelligibility. Our current set up and room acoustics combine today for dialog that is difficult at times and I end up turning up center volume too much to compensate. I'll try the dedicated center and phantom to what if any difference there is.
post #250 of 591 Old 03-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I too have loved my CG24 front stage (LCR) and CG4 rear surrounds... very powerful for what they are and have a great sound signature, definitely mighty mights!
They have mixed perfectly with my JTR 118HT subs... I love my system!!
The RSL even replaced some Chane Speakers I have and love... the Chanes moved to a secondary theatre room...

What Chane speakers if I may?

"goodtimes"
post #251 of 591 Old 03-05-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
What Chane speakers if I may?
CHANE A2RX-C for LCR & CHANE A1RX-C for Rear Surrounds... Still Great Speakers!
yanks1 likes this.
post #252 of 591 Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
CHANE A2RX-C for LCR & CHANE A1RX-C for Rear Surrounds... Still Great Speakers!
Right on. I have been curious about the Chane speakers for some time.

I DO LOVE my RSL's...ALL of them!

"goodtimes"
post #253 of 591 Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hello

Has anyone used RSL C34E as surround speakers? Based on a suggestion I got on the Speakers thread, I was wondering if someone already has experience doing this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #254 of 591 Old 03-05-2018, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've learned quite a bit from this forum since purchasing an entire set of AJ Pioneer speakers (minus the sub). I wish I would have spent more time reading about speaker recommendations for HT before purchasing that set as I find I am replacing it piece by piece. I've now added two SVS PB-1000s to the mix and I've updated my AJ Pioneer center with a CG23 (thanks to the recommendation of Zorba922) as I was having issues with movie dialogue.

I'd like to replace my AJ towers in the next year or so as I feel I am missing out on some movie detail. Would I see a big improvement if I replaced them with CG3s or even spending more for 2 more CG23s? Would I be better off spending $200 per speaker on something else? If so, I'll ask for recommendations in the main speaker section as I get closer to buying.

Last edited by dapakattack; 03-06-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #255 of 591 Old 03-06-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 111
As much as I hear people compliment the C34E's for Atmos, I'm surprised this thread isn't a lot bigger. Although I only heard of RSL because I was searching for recommended Atmos speakers.

Anyway, I have 4 C34E's on preorder. Can't wait to get them and a receiver to power them. If they show up before the receiver I want goes on sale, I'll hook them up to my current receiver just to hear what they sound like.
BobDV and yanks1 like this.
post #256 of 591 Old 03-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
We're sad to announce the end of our CG4 line of speakers. Its been a privilege and a pleasure sharing our CG4 line with you over the last eight years. We're honored by the praise and enthusiasm that you have given our little audio gems. However, after eight years, its time for the CG4 line to go... or perhaps, grow.

Coming soon, our CG4 line will grow into a larger line of speakers - our NEW CG5 LINE! And it will debut later this year.

Currently, details are limited. What we can tell you is that like our CG4 line, the CG5 line will include a CG5 two-way bookshelf speaker and a CG25 LCR bookshelf speaker. The CG5 line will be defined by its larger 5.25 inch woofers, which will provide greater dynamic range and efficiency. The CG5 line will create an even larger, room-saturating soundstage.
Scott-C, NHAudiofan and Rgarc like this.
post #257 of 591 Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-C View Post
With that in mind, does anyone have any experience with RSL’s W26 in-wall speakers, for use as surround speakers? How would you “value” the W26 in-walls? Do they “punch above their weight” in the same way the bookshelf systems and C34Es appear to?
I have spent a lot of time looking at in-wall solutions, and haven't found any reviews on these. They look similar in size to a lot of 'main' in wall speakers. The price certainly is very tempting. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the C34 ceiling speakers, and even the speedwoofer rates high for its size, so that would make me think there's a high chance they punch above their size.

The free returns aren't really all that useful when you start looking into in-wall speakers. No one would want to cut a hole, install a speaker, and decide they hate it. So I'd keep looking for reviews with data before jumping onto those.
Scott-C and bodean like this.
post #258 of 591 Old 03-06-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
I have spent a lot of time looking at in-wall solutions, and haven't found any reviews on these. They look similar in size to a lot of 'main' in wall speakers. The price certainly is very tempting. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the C34 ceiling speakers, and even the speedwoofer rates high for its size, so that would make me think there's a high chance they punch above their size.

The free returns aren't really all that useful when you start looking into in-wall speakers. No one would want to cut a hole, install a speaker, and decide they hate it. So I'd keep looking for reviews with data before jumping onto those.
@GoZags13 , thanks for your reply! Like you, I’ve scoured the Internet but have not found much in the way of reviews for them. You are right; the C34Es seem to be universally well-regarded, as do their CG3/23 & CG4/24 (believe to be discontinued) systems, and their subwoofer.

I spoke to Howard at RSL about the in-walls a few weeks ago, and coming out of that conversation, I felt better about the possibility of these in-walls being an improvement in my HT, but before I make any final decisions, I have been putting in significant thought regarding my long-term speaker decisions all around the room (mains, center, Atmos ceiling, etc.). Consequently, I’m not ready to pull the trigger yet.

In terms of the RSL guarantee on the in-walls, it actually will work well for me, personally, since I already utilize in-walls that required the same cutout size as these do (within 1/8”). Swapping in one or more of these and demo’ing them will not be difficult; getting them back out and returning them would be equally easy. I’m just holding out until I’m perfectly sure of my plans, which have comically been all over the board. Analysis paralysis!

My room and architectural desires meant that in-walls made the most sense, for the surround field. I just have never been too satisfied with the boxy nature of my current in-walls, and am hoping that if I pull the trigger on the W26s, they “break free” of their boxes, much like their other speakers apparently do so well.

Thanks,

Scott
post #259 of 591 Old 03-06-2018, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Coming soon, our CG4 line will grow into a larger line of speakers - our NEW CG5 LINE! And it will debut later this year.
I received that email as well. I'll have to contact Howard and Joe to see about getting a 5.1 system for eval. I'm interested in hearing what the new line can do.
Scott-C, BobDV and warndry like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #260 of 591 Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Yes, the in ceiling C34e speakers are excellent for movies & full channel music; I highly recommend them

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #261 of 591 Old 03-06-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I received that email as well. I'll have to contact Howard and Joe to see about getting a 5.1 system for eval. I'm interested in hearing what the new line can do.
I’m very much interested in hearing more about this new line.

Thanks,

Scott
post #262 of 591 Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
You are a main reason I am enjoying the Chane Speakers, the Dual JTR 118HT and the RSL speakers I have in my systems now...
I would very much enjoy your review of the New RSL Speaker line...!
Thanks for your many contributions to this hobby Jim.
JimWilson likes this.
post #263 of 591 Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
You are a main reason I am enjoying the Chane Speakers, the Dual JTR 118HT and the RSL speakers I have in my systems now...
I would very much enjoy your review of the New RSL Speaker line...!
Thanks for your many contributions to this hobby Jim.
Whoa, I'm feeling the pressure now! All kidding aside... I'm glad my reviews have helped you find products that fit your needs. It's always gratifying to hear someone has gotten value from those articles.

I did hear back from Howard and Joe and I will be getting a full 5.1 system when the products ship, but that might be a while it seems. They aren't expecting them for several months yet, so figure mid to late summer is when they should be available.
Scott-C, yanks1 and bubbrik like this.

post #264 of 591 Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well that time frame is a bit disappointing because I've decided to change up my humble HT room and the new CG5 speaker line has emerged as a top consideration. I have some time to burn so, with apologies in advance for the windy post, I thought I'd share some info and solicit feedback while we are waiting.

Current HT space:

25'W x 26'D x 7.5'H room, with about half (13'W x 13'D) dedicated to HT. The entire left side of the HT space is open to the rest of the room and there are open stairs running along the rear wall into the the HT space, both of which create challenges. I currently have (9) speakers arranged as a 7.1.2 system with both front height/presence and back surround speakers as shown in the attached diagram. Because
this lower-level room has easy access drop ceiling tiles and I want a more immersive surround experience, I am strongly considering a 5.2.4 in-ceiling Atmos system for reasons explained below.

Current hardware:

Yamaha TSR-7810 (Costco version of the RX-V781)*
Yamaha TSR-5810 (Costco version of the RX-V581)**
(2) Polk Audio RTi70 Floor Towers – FL | FR
(1) Polk Audio CSi40
Center
(2) Polk Audio R15 Bookshelf – FPL | FPR
(2) Polk Audio RTi70 Floor Towers – SL | SR

(2) Polk Audio R15 Bookshelf – SBL | SBR
(1) Polk Audio PSW404 – 10” Powered Subwoofer

* The TSR-7810 is a 7.2 Atmos AVR w/pre-outs. The processing unit is only capable of running 7 speakers, but Yamaha has designed the system so that you can have both front presence and rear surrounds connected. They do not produce sounds simultaneously, the unit automatically chooses which speakers will be used as the source material directs. Basically, you can run as 7.1 (or 7.2) or 5.1.2 (or 5.2.2) but not both at the same time. When configured per the attached diagram, I had hoped to accomplish a 'poor mans' 9.1 (or 9.2) system but it ain't really working out. And I'm not terribly impressed listening to Atmos content using this speaker configuration either.

** I also have a TSR-5810 available and would like to explore the possibility of running both Yamaha's simultaneously to power additional speakers. Like the 7810, this also a 7.2 Atmos AVR w/pre-outs and I have visions of running RSL's new CG25 5.2 system along with (4) C34Es. I've read thru the big 'Frankensystem' thread which leads me to believe it is doable, but I haven't seriously tried to work through all the connections yet. I realize those questions are better addressed in the Yamaha AVR forum, however, if anyone cares to comment on that approach here I'm all ears.

I have always had a dedicated 2-ch system for serious, critical listening sessions. With today's object based processing, I'm finding that clean, crisp and accurate reproduction of HT source content has become much more important to me. Lets just say I enjoyed the old Polk Reference Theater Series for what they are and need to move on. They sound surprisingly good at reference level but I have always found their silk dome tweets/mid drivers a bit too soft/muddled sounding on certain movie content and dialog at lower listening levels. Anyone here ever do a comparison of Polk RTi Series vs. RSL CG23 speakers? It would be interesting to see whether subsequent improvements in silk dome tweeter clarity and RSL's compression technology successfully address those issues. Any negative impressions re: the silk tweets in RSL speakers?

Has anyone here paired the TSR-7810 with CG3's or CG23's? Candidly, I am very skeptical about downsizing to smaller speakers/drivers etc. for my primary HT, regardless of speaker and sub count or placement. I run a Denon AVR-E300 w/ 7.1 Pinnacle MicroBurst Series 13700 speakers and BabyBoomer sub in a 5.1 configuration in the family room (I rewired the L,C,R soundbar to make one big 9-way center channel speaker). Great value and performance in a small package, but it is crystal clear no 3" driver is going to provide the kind of a-kickin' experience I want in my primary HT room however accurate it may be. Just have a hard time believing the CG3 with 4" drivers can either, so I sit on the fence waiting for the new 5 series rather than ordering the 3 series for an in-home audition.

Last but not least, WAF must be addressed. I am really concerned that the sound from the in-ceiling speakers directly beneath the kitchen/family room will permeate those rooms. They are tile and hardwood floors respectively. She's not a fan or frequent visitor to my main HT/listening room, and I can already see the angry stares if this new speaker arrangement infringes on her quiet reading time. Any recommended sound insulation and/or installation tips to minimize noise transmission? Thanks.

Decisions, decisions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7810 speaker.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	2372620  
post #265 of 591 Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholly View Post
Current hardware:

Yamaha TSR-7810 (Costco version of the RX-V781)*
Yamaha TSR-5810 (Costco version of the RX-V581)**

(2) Polk Audio RTi70 Floor Towers FL | FR
(1) Polk Audio CSi40 Center
(2) Polk Audio R15 Bookshelf FPL | FPR
(2) Polk Audio RTi70 Floor Towers SL | SR
(2) Polk Audio R15 Bookshelf SBL | SBR
(1) Polk Audio PSW404 10" Powered Subwoofer
The new RSL speakers will almost certainly exceed both the output and sound quality of the R15's, and for sure their subwoofer will be better than the PSW404. Going from towers to bookshelf speakers will result in some lose of output and presence though, not matter how good the smaller speakers are. The RSL's do punch above their weight, but maybe not quite that much.

post #266 of 591 Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your comments and trust your judgment. Superb review btw.

So in this case I'm ok trading greater output for improved accuracy and clarity, but think I still need sufficient decibels to overcome the room acoustics. What I won't give up is good imaging and depth of field. For me, the best surround sound system is the one that provides the most immersive cinematic experience resulting from accurate localization and an enveloping sound stage that feels natural (hence, the move to 5.2.2). Of course, a bit of 'punch' goes a long way to enhance that experience. Something tells me that dual Speedwoofers would help.

No doubt the CG4 line would have been a better choice for me than the CG3 line but a day late and dollar short, eh. Any guess where the new GC5 pricing is rumored to fall relative to the 3's and 4's? Would you know whether RSL is maintaining a pre-order reservation list by chance?
post #267 of 591 Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholly View Post
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your comments and trust your judgment. Superb review btw.

So in this case I'm ok trading greater output for improved accuracy and clarity, but think I still need sufficient decibels to overcome the room acoustics. What I won't give up is good imaging and depth of field. For me, the best surround sound system is the one that provides the most immersive cinematic experience resulting from accurate localization and an enveloping sound stage that feels natural (hence, the move to 5.2.2). Of course, a bit of 'punch' goes a long way to enhance that experience. Something tells me that dual Speedwoofers would help.

No doubt the CG4 line would have been a better choice for me than the CG3 line but a day late and dollar short, eh. Any guess where the new GC5 pricing is rumored to fall relative to the 3's and 4's? Would you know whether RSL is maintaining a pre-order reservation list by chance?
Over the past few years I have had many email exchanges and several phone calls with Howard and one thing I can assure is that man does not compromise. A big part of the reason the CG5's were so long in development is due to his almost obsessive tweaking/testing cycle. He's unrelenting when it comes to that - and perhaps one of the few left who still does some tuning by ear - so I would imagine things like imaging and depth will have been well thought out in the final product.

One of the assurances I give all manufacturers is I won't divulge any private/privileged information we discuss, so unfortunately I can't answer the pricing question at this time. I can answer the pre-order question though; right now there is no list, and neither Howard or Joe has made mention of creating one. When we get closer to the shipping date I can certainly ask though.
BobDV likes this.

post #268 of 591 Old 03-11-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
jim i thought most speakers are produced by ear and only the design of the drivers were done by electronics?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #269 of 591 Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
jim i thought most speakers are produced by ear and only the design of the drivers were done by electronics?
What I was more referring to is how they are tuned, as opposed to how they are designed. Drivers are modeled, measured, measured again and then measured some more. That's an integral part of the process of course, as are listening sessions. Not all listening sessions are created equal though; there is still great value for a person with a 'golden ear' to do the last part without a microphone. Mark Seaton and I had a long conversation about that very topic one time as he does it himself. I believe Andrew Jones is another who will do some tuning by ear. It's probably not an easy decision to change something when a graph says the output is perfect, but I'm sure glad there are still engineers out there doing that very thing.
torii likes this.

post #270 of 591 Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I ordered 5.0 RSLs and a Denon x4300h over the weekend. These are for a small 13'x9' viewing area in a very resonant old building. The plan is start things off with this really basic sub and the basic Onkyo Atmos modules.

I'd love to get a real sub, but I have an upstairs neighbor and I've found it's best if I put a very compact one between the media console and the sectional we sit on.

My ceiling is flat, 8' high and reflective. The Samsung Atmos bar sounded great on the rare instances I could get it work right, so I think the Onkyos will suffice. (They also fit well atop the cg3s compared to the Klipsch or ELAC).

The LCR and front height speakers will be laid out soundbar-style on a console below the LG B7. (The 10" clearance is what lead me to the Cg3s.) I'll add some shelving to separate the L/R at a later date.

Does this plan sound OK? Are there better subwoofer choices for my odd situation?

Last edited by Oil of OLED; 03-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page