Official Tannoy Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #271 of 278 Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Tannoy Legacy Arden

Hello all,

I have pulled the trigger and got a pair of Tannoy Legacy Arden, to replace my Tannoy DC10 Ti. Does anybody use them? Should I expect a significant step up with the HPD 15 inch driver over the 10 inch one? They will be placed in the corners of the shorter edge in a medium sized living room, with acoustic treatment on the first reflection points, front wall and rear wall, plus some bass traps behind the speakers. They will be driven with a Parasound HCA-2205, with a Marantz SR7011 pre-amp, with Audyssey XT32 RC limited to 500Hz and a potential crossover of 80Hz to my subwoofers.

Any advice on placement and toe-in? Do people configure the energy and roll off in the front control panel, according to toe-in, and differently for music and movie situations, like what the Audyssey Flat and Reference curve does for Full Band Room correction?

Thank you in advance

AVR: Marantz SR7011 (11.2 Atmos/DTS-X/Auro3D), Amps: Parasound HCA-2205a, Rotel rkb-8100, Front L/R: Tannoy DC10Ti, Center: Tannoy D750, Surrounds: Kef 3001, B&W 601S3
Heights: Focal Domes, B&W M1, Subwoofers: Tannoy TS2.10, Genelec HTS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 278 Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Not sure how much this thread is frequented but I thought I'd ask this here. Okay so I'm looking at possibly getting a used pair of Tannoy bookshelf and matching centre speakers from a seller on Kijiji. They are in excellent condition aside from a small ding on one front corner. The grills come in great but the seller said he could have them redone in black which I would prefer. It's the Tannoy Mercury MX1 bookshelf and the MX-C centre speaker. Both in dark oak finish. It would cost $305 for the set. I have a perfectly fine setup now but I've long been curious about Tannoy speakers as I've heard my dad bring up the name numerous times over the years. I'm just curious if anyone here has experience with these speakers. If I'm allowed to post the ad links here let me know. Thank you.

LG 49" UHDTV 49UJ6300; Yamaha RX-V481; Sony UBP-X800 BD Player; Fluance SXHTB speaker set, SVS SB-1000
post #273 of 278 Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post
Not sure how much this thread is frequented but I thought I'd ask this here. Okay so I'm looking at possibly getting a used pair of Tannoy bookshelf and matching centre speakers from a seller on Kijiji. They are in excellent condition aside from a small ding on one front corner. The grills come in great but the seller said he could have them redone in black which I would prefer. It's the Tannoy Mercury MX1 bookshelf and the MX-C centre speaker. Both in dark oak finish. It would cost $305 for the set. I have a perfectly fine setup now but I've long been curious about Tannoy speakers as I've heard my dad bring up the name numerous times over the years. I'm just curious if anyone here has experience with these speakers. If I'm allowed to post the ad links here let me know. Thank you.

Unfortunately, not enough! Sorry, can't speak to that model, but Tannoy's are more known for their dual-concentric's. There seems to be some feedback on AudioReview.com about them that might help in your decision:

http://www.audioreview.com/product/s...annoy/mx1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 278 Old 05-27-2019, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post
Ok I am curious so maybe some of you owners could help me out. This may be a no no but I am curious as to if the Tannoy has a sound signature like Kef? I am curious because of the concentric drivers. Also, I have only found some youtube videos that people have of them playing classical or guitar music and I was curious as to how these handle rock and roll from the 60's on up> I know a lot of it hinges on the source material room treatment etc.
There are several iterations of the dual concentric, studio and domestic.
Tannoy DC1000s from the late 80s I thought nice but needed the treble turning up.
The successor the 609 has a grating peak in the upper midrange and low treble. I'm not sure I would recommend it for more natural sounding old rock & roll at the beginning of the 60s.
The 609 version II of the early to mid 90s tamed the grate somewhat.
Not all versions of the Sixes get the same kind of reviews so it can be confusing.
The fact that in europe old consumer Tannoys do not fetch high prices should tell you they did not catch on in a very big way.
EM3 likes this.
post #275 of 278 Old 06-22-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi,

I have been following this threat about the Tannoy Revolution XT 8F and I am about to pull the trigger. One thing that keeps putting me off is the size of the center channel; it's smaller than what I'm used to so I am worried that it will distroy my movie experience. I currently have Emotive ERT 8.3s with a matching center and they are massive. I love that big heavy sound from the center channel.

My question is this, would you recomend XTC for serious movie experience? What's crossover are you using? Any other information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sampinto
post #276 of 278 Old 06-26-2019, 01:05 AM

I have used the Tannoy XTC with the XT6Fs, XT6s and XT minis in a Dolby Atmos Setup and it was a great experience, with the center channel blending in seamlessly, especially after room correction with Audyssey XT32. Of course the XT6Fs are smaller than the XT8Fs but it will really depend on the volumes you listen to and whether you use Room Correction. I had a similar dilemma with the the Tannoys in the Definition line where the 6 inch center is smaller than the DC10TIs and I eventually got the much bigger D750 center from the 90s which is a 40kgr 8 inch huge box. I think if you find one on the used market it will complement even better your XT8Fs. The colours will be different if you are concerned about how they would look together, but what I did was apply DC fix to the wooden part so they stylistically blend in too. I will sell this center only to move to the prestige line, it now blends in even with my 15 inch Legacy Ardens
post #277 of 278 Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioanni View Post
I have used the Tannoy XTC with the XT6Fs, XT6s and XT minis in a Dolby Atmos Setup and it was a great experience, with the center channel blending in seamlessly, especially after room correction with Audyssey XT32. Of course the XT6Fs are smaller than the XT8Fs but it will really depend on the volumes you listen to and whether you use Room Correction. I had a similar dilemma with the the Tannoys in the Definition line where the 6 inch center is smaller than the DC10TIs and I eventually got the much bigger D750 center from the 90s which is a 40kgr 8 inch huge box. I think if you find one on the used market it will complement even better your XT8Fs. The colours will be different if you are concerned about how they would look together, but what I did was apply DC fix to the wooden part so they stylistically blend in too. I will sell this center only to move to the prestige line, it now blends in even with my 15 inch Legacy Ardens
I have the dc 10 ti’s And was considering the upgrade to the Arden’s, what is your experience? Worth the upgrade?
post #278 of 278 Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Frankly speaking for music I was expecting bit more. The resolution sounded similar in my ears but I did not A/B listened to both before getting them. I simply found the Ardens in a very good price. Perhaps the medium sized lounge didn't do the Ardens justice or they needed an amp way better than my old Parasound but they didn't blow the DC10Tis away when I first listened to them. And that with absorbers as acoustic treatment at the first reflection points, front wall and rear wall. Having said that I spent way more time with REW and the DC10Tis to find an optimal spot, than the Ardens which I simply placed on the floor and toed them in at the MLP. I also didn't raise the Ardens with a stand which I would advise to, as the dual concentric driver is low. In both cases I was using Audyssey XT32 till 500Hz and also I was crossing them both over at 80Hz as I have a genelec subwoofer. If you have a good subwoofer and apply Room Correction then the Ardens might not have such a big difference from the DC10tis imo. If not then I would say get the Ardens as the bass in the cases I listened in pure audio from my Marantz, sounded better. I will trade mine in if I find a good price for the Prestige models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page