Official Tannoy Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 273 Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
You didn't get your hands on any of these or these? I was planning to use my 691's as surround rears for now and heights later, but alas they wouldn't fit in my ceiling. Fortunately my installer did a fantastic patch n' paint job. I can't tell where those 12" holes were even knowing where they were.
Hey Jay -- no sir, didn't grab any of those. IIRC, they were sold singly and were nearly double what the in-wall pairs went for. What was the restriction with the 691's? Would have thought they would drop into a ceiling without any issues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 273 Old 04-06-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Hey Jay -- no sir, didn't grab any of those. IIRC, they were sold singly and were nearly double what the in-wall pairs went for. What was the restriction with the 691's? Would have thought they would drop into a ceiling without any issues...
Nope, same price for basically all of the top-tier ones.

Problem with the ceiling was cross joists. Also, the midrange enclosure is quite large.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #33 of 273 Old 04-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nope, same price for basically all of the top-tier ones.

Problem with the ceiling was cross joists. Also, the midrange enclosure is quite large.
Did you actually order any of the in-ceiling and receive two speakers (or know anybody that did)? I would have grabbed some but going off the data on the product page regarding weight and contents of the box (which as you know can be inconclusive at best), it looked like you only received one speaker for the same price as two in-wall were going for. I sent an email and a rep confirmed there was only one speaker in the box and the going price would net you just one speaker; especially odd was the limit of three single units (another great quirk of the site). This isn't to say that they didn't actually ship a pair when a single order was placed, but that's why I only ordered in-wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 273 Old 04-06-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Received info from Tannoy today......

Might be helpful to others.......

CMS 601 DC and CMS 801 DC use same drivers as high end systems.....

Also ideal volume for both are 3.5 and 4.7 liters respectively. Good news since backer boxes can be rather small!
post #35 of 273 Old 04-06-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you actually order any of the in-ceiling and receive two speakers (or know anybody that did)?
Yes, but that's because I ordered two. IIRC everything in that sale were packaged as single-speakers. (Which, yes, makes the three maximum a bit annoying.) All of your in-walls are a single speaker in the box too. At least all of the ones with the magnesium midrange and ceramic-graphite tweeter were single speakers. Some of the lesser kevlar cone/titanium dome in-walls may have been pairs in the box.

But back on topic, I was actually surprised when my Tannoy CMS401DCe were a pair in the box. Most Tannoy in-walls are singles, too. At least, my Saturn S8iw's were.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #36 of 273 Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, but that's because I ordered two. IIRC everything in that sale were packaged as single-speakers. (Which, yes, makes the three maximum a bit annoying.) All of your in-walls are a single speaker in the box too. At least all of the ones with the magnesium midrange and ceramic-graphite tweeter were single speakers. Some of the lesser kevlar cone/titanium dome in-walls may have been pairs in the box.

But back on topic, I was actually surprised when my Tannoy CMS401DCe were a pair in the box. Most Tannoy in-walls are singles, too. At least, my Saturn S8iw's were.
Holy **** dude...apologies! I have no idea how I went temporarily insane and thought the 691's were packaged two to a box. The 671's were two to a box. Nice surprise on the 401's.
post #37 of 273 Old 04-06-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice surprise on the 401's.
Well, I bought a pair so that wasn't a huge surprise. The single box was. Then again, the Tannoy i8AW's I bought were packaged 2 to a box too, so I guess I don't know why it surprised me that they were packaged together.

--
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 04-06-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #38 of 273 Old 04-13-2015, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Have you installed the cms 401's yet. Would like your impression?
post #39 of 273 Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
Have you installed the cms 401's yet. Would like your impression?
I’ve only given them a quick listen to confirm the drivers work and the crossovers are wired correctly.

I’ll likely not be installing them for quite a while. Immersive is pointless to me until there’s an immersive expander that works well with 2-channel music. DSU sucks, and Auro-3D is more “all channel stereo” than a useful expander. We’ll see what DTS has to offer in that regard, or if there’s another competitor that emerges and costs less than Illusonic.

Depending on the requirements of a future competent-for-music upmixer, I may actually install them in my mains as upfiring speakers. That’s my preference over cutting holes in the ceiling, and I have an extra speaker lead running to my mains anyway.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #40 of 273 Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 AM

I ordered the DC 10ti's (great room) last night with some cms 801's for the ceiling in my kitchen. I also ordered some iw63's for my bedroom and rear theater walls. I am also going to wait on additional ceiling units for my theatre until we get more content. I'll give some updates once I have everything set up. I'm pretty pumped but now probably have to consider a sub and possible a new amp to run the monsters in the great room even though the DC 10's are extremely efficient. The rabbit hole just got bigger.
post #41 of 273 Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ordered the DC 10ti's (great room) last night with some cms 801's for the ceiling in my kitchen.
Sweet! Did you get to hear the DC10ti's first? My "first audio love" was an older 10" Dual + woofer speaker, the D700.

Quote:
I'm pretty pumped but now probably have to consider a sub and possible a new amp to run the monsters in the great room even though the DC 10's are extremely efficient. The rabbit hole just got bigger.
Keep your amp, and put that money towards three subs, a miniDSP, and a measurement mike. With great speakers, as long as you place them well the only issue you'll have is horrible upper bass performance. That's a function of small room acoustics. With multiple subwoofers in random places around the room (i.e. wherever you can stick them) you can smooth out room modes and have high-fidelity reproduction from top to bottom.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #42 of 273 Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Sweet! Did you get to hear the DC10ti's first? My "first audio love" was an older 10" Dual + woofer speaker, the D700.

Keep your amp, and put that money towards three subs, a miniDSP, and a measurement mike. With great speakers, as long as you place them well the only issue you'll have is horrible upper bass performance. That's a function of small room acoustics. With multiple subwoofers in random places around the room (i.e. wherever you can stick them) you can smooth out room modes and have high-fidelity reproduction from top to bottom.
I didn't get to hear the DC 10's before my purchase. I listened to the dc8 monitors for several hours with a good sub and just flat out enjoyed the sound. No ear fatigue at high volume, dynamic, rich, warm, and just fun. Smiled the whole time. Went with the 10's to fill up my huge room.

Thanks for the advice, I will for sure try them with my current amp before making any decisions. Any suggestion on subs to match with these beasts? My 2040 won't run 3 subs so I have to figure something out in that regards, maybe a zone 2 through my old marantz 6006. My room is 50x50 with a 30 ft sloped ceiling for most of the room.

Last edited by fish5225; 04-15-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Forgot multi quote.
post #43 of 273 Old 04-15-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My room is 50x50 with a 30 ft sloped ceiling for most of the room.
Wow that's a huge space! It's so huge that assumptions about small room acoustics really don't hold. I hope you buy a measurement mike and post listening position measurements, because I'm genuinely curious to see where the modal region starts in a room that size.

Your Yamaha AVR should have enough grunt. If not, you'll probably need an amp with at least 3dBW more continuous. That's 300+ Watts. Anything less is just a waste of money and less energy efficient than using the amps in your AVR. (There are people who will tell you that "AVR Watts" are somehow not as good as "separate amp Watts." Usually in the course of either trying to sell you something or to justify their own purchaseWords for such people include con-man, scammer, charlatan, deaf idiot, etc.)

Another consideration you'll have with efficient speakers is that separate amps are often noisier than circuits integrated into an AVR, because the AVR will have gain structure internally optimized. IMO an amp with enough power to make a difference AND with a sufficiently high S/N ratio for such efficient speakers will be expensive. Think ATI AT6000, Anthem Statement, etc.

In that size space, you may actually do best with single a huge sub in a corner, with massive power. I don't know commercial subs well, and it depends of course on how big you can fit. (Here custom may be better than off-the-shelf, because it's easier to eke out all of the available space in a custom design.

Also, you should likely probably keep your mains crossover pretty low, like somewhere around 50-60Hz.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #44 of 273 Old 04-15-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Wow that's a huge space! It's so huge that assumptions about small room acoustics really don't hold. I hope you buy a measurement mike and post listening position measurements, because I'm genuinely curious to see where the modal region starts in a room that size.

Your Yamaha AVR should have enough grunt. If not, you'll probably need an amp with at least 3dBW more continuous. That's 300+ Watts. Anything less is just a waste of money and less energy efficient than using the amps in your AVR. (There are people who will tell you that "AVR Watts" are somehow not as good as "separate amp Watts." Usually in the course of either trying to sell you something or to justify their own purchaseWords for such people include con-man, scammer, charlatan, deaf idiot, etc.)

Another consideration you'll have with efficient speakers is that separate amps are often noisier than circuits integrated into an AVR, because the AVR will have gain structure internally optimized. IMO an amp with enough power to make a difference AND with a sufficiently high S/N ratio for such efficient speakers will be expensive. Think ATI AT6000, Anthem Statement, etc.

In that size space, you may actually do best with single a huge sub in a corner, with massive power. I don't know commercial subs well, and it depends of course on how big you can fit. (Here custom may be better than off-the-shelf, because it's easier to eke out all of the available space in a custom design.

Also, you should likely probably keep your mains crossover pretty low, like somewhere around 50-60Hz.

Thanks for the suggestions, 300 watts is big power, my speaker dealer suggested at least 250 but it looks like the anthem P2 is fairly reasonable in price if needed. I will of course use the Yamaha and see how well it works. I also have a large M&K sub in my dedicated movie room that I can play with while breaking things in.
Have you ever heard the Crown amps? Seems like a lot of power for the money but maybe the noise to signal ratio doesn't work? I know very little about this issue.
post #45 of 273 Old 04-16-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you ever heard the Crown amps? Seems like a lot of power for the money but maybe the noise to signal ratio doesn't work? I know very little about this issue.
With speakers like that I'd be leery of pro amps generally. Unless you're going from a computer to a pro audio soundcard. Then you can probably get the gain structure right without too much hassle.

IMO if a separate amp is needed the ATI AT6000 is probably as good as it gets regardless of price.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #46 of 273 Old 04-25-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
With speakers like that I'd be leery of pro amps generally. Unless you're going from a computer to a pro audio soundcard. Then you can probably get the gain structure right without too much hassle.

IMO if a separate amp is needed the ATI AT6000 is probably as good as it gets regardless of price.
The DC 10's arrived last night and all I can say is "wow". I am hearing detail in songs that I didn't realize existed and when they say full range they mean it. I tried running with and without sub and these speakers really don't need any help. The Yamaha in a two channel setup sounds excellant although I will probably demo a couple of amps to see if these speakers have even more. My room is clearly not ideal but the new design presents such a large sound stage I'm quite satisfied. My distributer is having some issues with the in wall's I ordered as they are currently only stocking the in walls with full brackets for pre construction install and I don't want to rip big holes in my walls where I already have speakers but I'll let you know when I can review. Tannoy has really stepped up its game, these new speakers are night and day better than my old S-10's. I will likely run new ceilings and rears in my theatre room as I am so pleased with the sound. I wish I could afford another set to replace my theatre setup but there is always next years project!
post #47 of 273 Old 05-05-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys..................can you give me some feedback?

I'm trying to decide between old dual concentric design CMS 601 DC for Atmos or the new dual concentric design of CMS 603 DC. Supposedly, the new dual concentric design of CMS 603 DC has better off axis behavior for HF unit and better overall sonic qualities. Only problem................new design is 16 Ohm which is more appropriate for running speakers in parallel...........ie distributive audio.

Here are the specs for new CMS 603 DC
post #48 of 273 Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Hey guys..................can you give me some feedback?

I'm trying to decide between old dual concentric design CMS 601 DC for Atmos or the new dual concentric design of CMS 603 DC. Supposedly, the new dual concentric design of CMS 603 DC has better off axis behavior for HF unit and better overall sonic qualities. Only problem................new design is 16 Ohm which is more appropriate for running speakers in parallel...........ie distributive audio.

Here are the specs for new CMS 603 DC
Yea i talked to the rep about the new 603's and 16ohm, you would just need 300 watts at 8ohms to get full use out of those! They were made for distributive audio applications but at least your amp will run cool! I am also deciding which ones to use for my Atmos and theater application where i need good dispersion. I am also looking at James Loudspeakers too. Has anybody had any experience with those?
post #49 of 273 Old 06-02-2015, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Yea i talked to the rep about the new 603's and 16ohm, you would just need 300 watts at 8ohms to get full use out of those! They were made for distributive audio applications but at least your amp will run cool! I am also deciding which ones to use for my Atmos and theater application where i need good dispersion. I am also looking at James Loudspeakers too. Has anybody had any experience with those?
I bought a pair of used 601's for my rear ceilings and a new pair of 603's for the fronts. I didn't realize they were 16 ohm until I got them. Oops. Oh well, I got a powerful two channel amp to drive them and that will add up to my 11 channel system once I purchase a 9 channel receiver. I'm in the process of installing them in my drop ceiling, but damn there's so much clutter in there and having the back cans is making this a bloody chore. Joists and ductwork and piping, oh my!
post #50 of 273 Old 06-17-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
well..finally I am going to build my HT... I am thinking about Epson 3500 ... some AV reciever Denon or Yamaha....but I cant decide...If I should build my audio system 5.1/7.1 with Tannoy Revolution XT6F/XT6 or go for klipsch RF 82 II ?

http://www.whathifi.com/tannoy/revolution-xt6f/review

post #51 of 273 Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curamrda View Post
well..finally I am going to build my HT... I am thinking about Epson 3500 ... some AV reciever Denon or Yamaha....but I cant decide...If I should build my audio system 5.1/7.1 with Tannoy Revolution XT6F/XT6 or go for klipsch RF 82 II ?

http://www.whathifi.com/tannoy/revolution-xt6f/review

Not a surprise on this thread but the Tannoy definition series is just outstanding. I haven't heard the revolution series but I'm loving the DC 10 ti's.
post #52 of 273 Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendtobrit View Post
I finally got my 803's installed and using my Yamaha 2040 as a 2 channel amp they sound great. I purchased the new Sonance class d amp, based upon a recommendation from my dealer, to run my DC 10's with 500 watts/ and it really makes them sing.
post #53 of 273 Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Any Tannoy fans interested in 3 x DC12i Definition Install?

New home I went all in walls.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #54 of 273 Old 07-02-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I bought a pair of used 601's for my rear ceilings and a new pair of 603's for the fronts. I didn't realize they were 16 ohm until I got them. Oops. Oh well, I got a powerful two channel amp to drive them and that will add up to my 11 channel system once I purchase a 9 channel receiver. I'm in the process of installing them in my drop ceiling, but damn there's so much clutter in there and having the back cans is making this a bloody chore. Joists and ductwork and piping, oh my!
Can you give you impressions between CMS 603 and 601?

I'm adding an ATI 3007 to rack and after talking to ATI directly, amp would drive 16 ohm 603's with ease!

ATI engineer suggested driving 4 ohm LCR's with one transformer and the four 16 ohm 603's with other transformer.

Trying to decided on Tannoy 601 DC, 603 DC, or Kef Ci200rr for Atmos ceiling speakers.
post #55 of 273 Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm adding an ATI 3007 to rack and after talking to ATI directly, amp would drive 16 ohm 603's with ease!

ATI engineer suggested driving 4 ohm LCR's with one transformer and the four 16 ohm 603's with other transformer.

Trying to decided on Tannoy 601 DC, 603 DC, or Kef Ci200rr for Atmos ceiling speakers.
The one thing I can tell you is that the Tannoy's also come with the back cans (the blind mount version, I believe) and that's the way I went and would suggest you go that way too for blocking sound in the floor above.

Unfortunately I can't give my impressions yet as I don't have a receiver with Atmos and at the moment I'm too lazy to hook them up to my current receiver. I was humming and hawing at which receiver to get. At the end of the day, I think I'm going to skip the major name brands entirely. I have a few emotiva amps and plan on purchasing an Outlaw 7 channel amp then going with either the Outlaw or Emotiva pre-pro when they get released with Atmos/DTS:X.

I emailed Tannoy regarding how to best power the 603's and he told me in no uncertain terms that the 603's are significantly better than the 601s. Obviously, though, they need to say that since it's a new product and I'm sure the 601s will be great as well. I don't think there's much price difference new, though, so if you can drive the 603s I'd probably go with them. Others have noted the great dispersion characteristics of Tannoy, so that's what I decided to go with. That, and my fronts are Tannoy as well so they will timbre match well with my mains.
post #56 of 273 Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I am absolutely thrilled with the 803's in my kitchen ceiling. I am running them with my Yamaha 2040 as a 2 channel amp. It works great. The 16 ohm speakers are not hard to drive for most amps. In fact they are a little louder than my mains at the same power level although that may have something to do with the separate amp I use for my mains. (I am running the mains off the preouts to the separate amp.) The dual concentric speakers sound great in the ceiling. The detail from these speakers is remarkable, making me believe that they will be great for Atmos.
post #57 of 273 Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The one thing I can tell you is that the Tannoy's also come with the back cans (the blind mount version, I believe) and that's the way I went and would suggest you go that way too for blocking sound in the floor above.

Unfortunately I can't give my impressions yet as I don't have a receiver with Atmos and at the moment I'm too lazy to hook them up to my current receiver. I was humming and hawing at which receiver to get. At the end of the day, I think I'm going to skip the major name brands entirely. I have a few emotiva amps and plan on purchasing an Outlaw 7 channel amp then going with either the Outlaw or Emotiva pre-pro when they get released with Atmos/DTS:X.

I emailed Tannoy regarding how to best power the 603's and he told me in no uncertain terms that the 603's are significantly better than the 601s. Obviously, though, they need to say that since it's a new product and I'm sure the 601s will be great as well. I don't think there's much price difference new, though, so if you can drive the 603s I'd probably go with them. Others have noted the great dispersion characteristics of Tannoy, so that's what I decided to go with. That, and my fronts are Tannoy as well so they will timbre match well with my mains.
Thanks.......

My installation is unusual..........factory backer cans won't work. Have to build my own since speakers will be inside of soundproofed shell hidden by acoustic fabric inside ceiling cloud.

I've heard the Di6DC's which are quite neutral and have wide dispersion............basing my purchase on my one time experience.....but still would like to hear CMS 603 for myself! Oh well......blind faith.
post #58 of 273 Old 07-02-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've heard the Di6DC's which are quite neutral and have wide dispersion............basing my purchase on my one time experience.....but still would like to hear CMS 603 for myself! Oh well......blind faith.
Wow, you've got a great looking setup. Mine is not aesthetically pleasing, but hey, when the lights go out, all that matters is the screen and the sound anyway.

I think all of this new immersive audio stuff is blind faith, to be honest. Based on what I've seen from the Dolby pdf, it looks like the optimal scenario is wide dispersion speakers aiming at the floor in front of the listeners. Because of that, I strayed away from the Di6DC's that would be aimed at the main listening position. I don't know if it's the right thing, but the best I can do is trust the Dolby recommendations.

I would definitely contact Tannoy and get the specs of the back can and their expectations on what type of fill would be best for the box. They will sound fine without the box, but you will get better bass response if you have one. Let us know how it works out for you.
post #59 of 273 Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, you've got a great looking setup. Mine is not aesthetically pleasing, but hey, when the lights go out, all that matters is the screen and the sound anyway.

I think all of this new immersive audio stuff is blind faith, to be honest. Based on what I've seen from the Dolby pdf, it looks like the optimal scenario is wide dispersion speakers aiming at the floor in front of the listeners. Because of that, I strayed away from the Di6DC's that would be aimed at the main listening position. I don't know if it's the right thing, but the best I can do is trust the Dolby recommendations.

I would definitely contact Tannoy and get the specs of the back can and their expectations on what type of fill would be best for the box. They will sound fine without the box, but you will get better bass response if you have one. Let us know how it works out for you.

Contacted Tannoy support couple months ago and was given 3-4 liters for 601 DC and 4-5 liters for 801 DC's for backer box volume.........rather small I might say. 50% filll.

KEF ci200rr on the other hand is 20 liters but can go down to 10 liters and still have f3 belw 80 Hz.......other speaker I'm considering after exhaustive research.
post #60 of 273 Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Contacted Tannoy support couple months ago and was given 3-4 liters for 601 DC and 4-5 liters for 801 DC's for backer box volume.........rather small I might say. 50% filll.

KEF ci200rr on the other hand is 20 liters but can go down to 10 liters and still have f3 belw 80 Hz.......other speaker I'm considering after exhaustive research.
The backer cans on the 803's were huge. I couldn't use them for my application but the speakers still sound great surrounded by insulation and joists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page