Official Tannoy Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #61 of 274 Old 07-02-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
The backer cans on the 803's were huge. I couldn't use them for my application but the speakers still sound great surrounded by insulation and joists.
I'm forced to use backer boxes.......and plan is to use 13mm Baltic Birch.

just don't want an infinite baffle inside soundproofed shell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 274 Old 07-02-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Fellow Tannoyites need to find a home for 3 x Definition Install DC12i

CHEAP!

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #63 of 274 Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Just installed my new IW63 In walls tonight. They replaced my Axiom QS8's in anticipation of immersive audio and to gel better with my mains which are also Tannoy. Wow, what a difference! I don't know if it was the sound diffusion of the QS8's that was prohibiting me from hearing everything in the audio track, but I was hearing stuff with my new Tannoys that I didn't hear with my Axioms. As per Dolby, I had my Axioms about 2 feet above me and just slightly behind the listening area. For the Tannoys, I installed them just slightly above ear height (the tweeter part) and exactly to the right and left of the main listening position. I thought for sure I would be able to localize the sound, but after calibrating with Audyssey on my old Onkyo 806, I was pleasantly surprised that it was not the case.

I threw in the beginning of Quantum of Solace which is my go-to demo disc for sound. The scene where Bond scoops the picture of Vesper I can hear the crowds in the background just before it cuts to the next scene. I never heard that before with my QS8's. I am really digging the monopoles and the clarity they bring! Granted, these are more expensive speakers, but I can honestly say based on what I heard tonight that I would definitely recommended good monopoles for surrounds as opposed to bipole or dipole speakers. I just can't wait to buy an Atmos/DTS:X pre-pro in the fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 274 Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Just installed my new IW63 In walls tonight. They replaced my Axiom QS8's in anticipation of immersive audio and to gel better with my mains which are also Tannoy. Wow, what a difference! I don't know if it was the sound diffusion of the QS8's that was prohibiting me from hearing everything in the audio track, but I was hearing stuff with my new Tannoys that I didn't hear with my Axioms. As per Dolby, I had my Axioms about 2 feet above me and just slightly behind the listening area. For the Tannoys, I installed them just slightly above ear height (the tweeter part) and exactly to the right and left of the main listening position. I thought for sure I would be able to localize the sound, but after calibrating with Audyssey on my old Onkyo 806, I was pleasantly surprised that it was not the case.

I threw in the beginning of Quantum of Solace which is my go-to demo disc for sound. The scene where Bond scoops the picture of Vesper I can hear the crowds in the background just before it cuts to the next scene. I never heard that before with my QS8's. I am really digging the monopoles and the clarity they bring! Granted, these are more expensive speakers, but I can honestly say based on what I heard tonight that I would definitely recommended good monopoles for surrounds as opposed to bipole or dipole speakers. I just can't wait to buy an Atmos/DTS:X pre-pro in the fall.
I had the same experience with my DC 10ti's with music. I think the Tannoys are that good. I am waiting on my carpenter to help me install my IW63's in my theatre. Now, I can't wait.
post #65 of 274 Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sweet! You're going to love them, I'm sure of it. Next step is to build a speaker box for my IW 63TDC speakers for my rears. I doubt it's gonna happen this year, but I'm really hoping for a receiver that will allow me to do 9.1.4. Fingers crossed!
post #66 of 274 Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Has anyone here listened to the tannoy revolution xt 8f's? I have my Klipsch for sale and someone asked if I would be interested in trading.

post #67 of 274 Old 07-11-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
Has anyone here listened to the tannoy revolution xt 8f's? I have my Klipsch for sale and someone asked if I would be interested in trading.
I only have a second review from the distributor who brought in my DC 10's. He told me the the new revolution xt series was excellent for its price point. Tannoy reworked all the drivers on their dual concentric cones so they should be good, but ... The new DC 10's are phenomenal.
post #68 of 274 Old 07-13-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another email to Tannoy support comparing CMS 601 DC and new CMS 603 DC. Results suggest 603 DC would be better prospect for Atmo ceiling application than 601 DC due to wider dispersion characteristics. Tech suggested setting tap at low z and speaker should be as dynamic as any other speaker. My concerns with 603 DC, 16 ohm impedance!

I'll be using an ATI 3007 to drive 603's and my conversations with ATI tech suggests the ATI 3007 which is rated at 300 watt in 8 ohms can handle 16 ohm loads with ease. Plan is to use one transformer with 4 Tannoy 603 DC's........the other will handled the three LCR's at 4 ohms.

Since 3007 can output 300 watts in 8 ohms, that leaves 150 watt in 16 ohms to drive the Tannoy CMS 603 DC's..............since Tannoy suggests 160 watts in 16 ohms with tap setting at low z...........I'm wondering if I'll run into any headroom problems due to dynamics needed for home theater application. Tech suggested not..............but I'm concerned. 603 DC's can handle peaks of 320 watts in 16 ohms...........no way 3007 will output that number.

Am I worryed about nothing? Would be really nice to know if others are using the new 3.0 DC from Tannoy.
post #69 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 2
so has anyone already had an occasion to listen to revolution xt 6f paired with an avr? will it blend?
post #70 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since 3007 can output 300 watts in 8 ohms, that leaves 150 watt in 16 ohms to drive the Tannoy CMS 603 DC's..............since Tannoy suggests 160 watts in 16 ohms with tap setting at low z...........I'm wondering if I'll run into any headroom problems due to dynamics needed for home theater application. Tech suggested not..............but I'm concerned. 603 DC's can handle peaks of 320 watts in 16 ohms...........no way 3007 will output that number.
They are 91dB sensitive. You will be fine. If you listen at reference level, then you may want to consider something a little more brutish for an amp. Putting it into perspective, I have an Emotiva XPA-3 with 200 wpc powering my DC12i's. They have 800W peaks and I've had no problems whatsoever. They are also 97dB sensitive.

As far as the CMS603's being better than the 601's...I just don't believe it. Looking at the specs they look virtually identical, especially in terms of dispersion characteristics. Maybe I missed something, though.

FWIW, I listen to movies at -12 on my receiver and it's plenty loud. My friends usually ask me to turn it down when they come over.

Also, I'm finishing up my speaker build for the IW63's. Will post pics when done. They look...interesting...

Last edited by blastermaster; 07-16-2015 at 09:54 AM.
post #71 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are 91dB sensitive. You will be fine. If you listen at reference level, then you may want to consider something a little more brutish for an amp. Putting it into perspective, I have an Emotiva XPA-3 with 200 wpc powering my DC12i's. They have 800W peaks and I've had no problems whatsoever. They are also 97dB sensitive.

As far as the CMS603's being better than the 601's...I just don't believe it. Looking at the specs they look virtually identical, especially in terms of dispersion characteristics. Maybe I missed something, though.

FWIW, I listen to movies at -12 on my receiver and it's plenty loud. My friends usually ask me to turn it down when they come over.

Also, I'm finishing up my speaker build for the IW63's. Will post pics when done. They look...interesting...

Above 2-3kHz, dispersion on 603DC's are 3 db's better than 601's at 45 degrees off axis ie 90 degrees total.

I'm experimenting currently with Mirage Nanosats for dispersion and SPL needs........

So far, not much material goes to tops but I have a few more movies to watch. I'm only using tops......there is absolutely no need for tops to output 105 db's.........suffice to say, 3007 should drive 603 DC fine.

BTW, I'm finding dispersion is really key to Atmos ceiling speakers.

Last edited by doublewing11; 07-16-2015 at 01:53 PM.
post #72 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Above 2-3kHz, dispersion on 603 are 3 db's better at 45 degrees of axis is 90 degrees total than 601's on up.

I'm experimenting currently with Mirage Nanosats for dispersion and SPL needs........

So far, not much material goes to tops but I have a few more movies to watch. I'm only using tops......there is absolutely no need for tops to output 105 db's.........suffice to say, 3007 should drive 603 DC fine.

BTW, I'm finding dispersion is really key to Atmos ceiling speakers.
Good thing I used the 603's as my front ceiling speakers, then.

As far as the Mirage, I've read they have a diffuse sound. I went from my Axiom QS8's which had a very diffuse, albeit room filling, sound. I much preferred the clarity of the Tannoy and I'm sure the dispersion of the Tannoy would more than match the diffusion of the Nanosats. Could be wrong, though. I'd be surprised if you liked the Nanosats better, but I'd love to find out your results.
post #73 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good thing I used the 603's as my front ceiling speakers, then.

As far as the Mirage, I've read they have a diffuse sound. I went from my Axiom QS8's which had a very diffuse, albeit room filling, sound. I much preferred the clarity of the Tannoy and I'm sure the dispersion of the Tannoy would more than match the diffusion of the Nanosats. Could be wrong, though. I'd be surprised if you liked the Nanosats better, but I'd love to find out your results.

What are you using to drive the 603 DC's? Can you comment regarding your take on sound signature along with SPL? I'm about to commit to 603Dc's.
post #74 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are you using to drive the 603 DC's? Can you comment regarding your take on sound signature along with SPL? I'm about to commit to 603Dc's.
I am basing my affinity for the Tannoys based on the base layer surround I've currently got set up - it sounds awesome. As far as the ceiling speakers go, I have nothing to compare them to and don't plan on comparing them to anything - what I've got is going to have to do or my wife will have words with me. That being said, others in this forum seem to think the Tannoys are stellar for this purpose so it turns out I unintentionally future proofed my HT when I bought my DC12i's a few years back. I don't have a receiver yet for 3D sound and am waiting on what Anthem has to offer as I've read their ARC room correction is fantastic. Needless to say, I'm getting very impatient. I've got my 603's wired and ready, as well as my 601's in the rear. I'm working on acoustic treatments at the moment while I wait and I purchased an Emotiva XPA-2 to drive the 603's. Sorry I can't help you more than that with regards to your decision. If you're still unsure, be patient and keep doing more research - you won't regret it.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2
post #75 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am basing my affinity for the Tannoys based on the base layer surround I've currently got set up - it sounds awesome. As far as the ceiling speakers go, I have nothing to compare them to and don't plan on comparing them to anything - what I've got is going to have to do or my wife will have words with me. That being said, others in this forum seem to think the Tannoys are stellar for this purpose so it turns out I unintentionally future proofed my HT when I bought my DC12i's a few years back. I don't have a receiver yet for 3D sound and am waiting on what Anthem has to offer as I've read their ARC room correction is fantastic. Needless to say, I'm getting very impatient. I've got my 603's wired and ready, as well as my 601's in the rear. I'm working on acoustic treatments at the moment while I wait and I purchased an Emotiva XPA-2 to drive the 603's. Sorry I can't help you more than that with regards to your decision. If you're still unsure, be patient and keep doing more research - you won't regret it.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2
All I have to go on has been Di6dC's which were very neutral........similar sound signature as my Triad's.
post #76 of 274 Old 07-16-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
All I have to go on has been Di6dC's which were very neutral........similar sound signature as my Triad's.
I would describe the 803's as rich and layered. Great depth and clarity but again I use them for critical music listening.
post #77 of 274 Old 07-17-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
I would describe the 803's as rich and layered. Great depth and clarity but again I use them for critical music listening.
Not much opportunity to hear with my own ears..........I'm assuming 603/803 DC's would be very similar to Di6DC's. On paper, not much difference between 603/803DC's other than larger mid-driver in 803DC. Suspect both sound very similar. Back box volumes are disconcernable between two.......3-4 liters on 603DC.........4-5 liters on 801 DC..........603 would fit better due to greater possible angle to MLP. I only have 8-1/4" depth in cloud so if I could pull off toe-in plus 22 degree angled baffle that would be perfect.........If I could to get an angled baffle of 22 degree with 803DC, I'd go that route but build numbers aren't working out......603DC numbers are.
post #78 of 274 Old 08-08-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I built my speakers for my rear surrounds. I didn't have the space to install the IW62TDC into my walls and I had already bought the back cans for them, so I decided to build an enclosure for them and use them as my rears. I dub them, "The Ugly Betty". They're actually not all that bad, IMHO, and from not having a scratch of woodworking experience, they turned out ok. More importantly, they sound wicked. Yeah, I know, I need to vacuum after making my speaker mess. I just got excited and took a pic. Cheers.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #79 of 274 Old 08-08-2015, 04:17 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Looking to buy 2 pairs of Di5 for ceiling mounted Atmos duty. Any place in the states have these for a decent price?
post #80 of 274 Old 08-08-2015, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I had good success buying from Full Compass. I'd strongly recommend getting the dual concentric version, though. They are more expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/126603-Tannoy-DI5DC
post #81 of 274 Old 08-08-2015, 05:06 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I had good success buying from Full Compass. I'd strongly recommend getting the dual concentric version, though. They are more expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/126603-Tannoy-DI5DC
^ thanks. And yes, I do plan to get the DC's
post #82 of 274 Old 08-08-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post
Looking to buy 2 pairs of Di5 for ceiling mounted Atmos duty. Any place in the states have these for a decent price?
Try Markertek.....have Di5dc for excellent price!
post #83 of 274 Old 09-02-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Just for giggles i figured I would throw this out in the Tannoy area.

I just changed my set up and now have some Tannoy speakers that could use a new home. I have 6 Arena Satellites and an Arena Satellite Center Channel speaker. These have been some of the best speakers. I've had them for quite a while. The satellites even work wonderfully as an up firing speaker for atmos.

Anyways, they are just sitting here and you never know who may need them.
post #84 of 274 Old 10-02-2015, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Bro, the Arena Highline 500, I was thinking about using them on my wall as L, C, R. Wad worried they would not be full sounding or sound thin on music. Can you please tell me yiur experience. PLEASE

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
post #85 of 274 Old 10-02-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by big70tom View Post
Bro, the Arena Highline 500, I was thinking about using them on my wall as L, C, R. Wad worried they would not be full sounding or sound thin on music. Can you please tell me yiur experience. PLEASE

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Mine are the older Arena's not the Highlines.

http://hometheaterreview.com/tannoy-...stem-reviewed/
post #86 of 274 Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone needing Tannoy shoot me a PM!

I have the following:-
Used [no box but will pack accordingly] 2 x IW62TDC in walls. MSRP: $1,400.00 STREET: $1,050.00. -------> $550.00 shipped!
Used [my personal sub w/ boxes] 2 x Definition Install DS15i MSRP: $2,300.00 STREET: $1,450.00 ------> $650.00/each + S&H
Used [my personal sub amp w/box] IW SA500 MSRP: $ 700.00 STREET: $ 425.00 ------> $250.00 shipped!

Shameless plug...

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #87 of 274 Old 10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not just what is listed in the above post!

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #88 of 274 Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm comparing Tannoys AMS 5DCs vs 6DCs, on the specs side..
AMS 5DC
Frequency Response (-3 dB) (1) 90 Hz - 30 kHz
Frequency Range (-10 dB) (1) 80 Hz - 40 kHz
AMS 6DC
Frequency Response (-3 dB) (1)75 Hz - 30 kHz
Frequency Range (-10 dB) (1)55 Hz - 40 kHz

it's clear that 6DCs are more "capable", but how audible is that difference on the lower end? my concern is the size of the speaker, which is almost 1.5 times larger, does it really worth the effect?

thanks!

Last edited by Andrey Gorodnov; 10-08-2015 at 02:15 PM.
post #89 of 274 Old 11-02-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just purchased the XT8 and in love.

great dynamics, unbelievable mid range.

Best money I've spend in sometime. Would HIGHLY recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tannoybezel.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1034097   Click image for larger version

Name:	tannoyxt82.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	1034113  
post #90 of 274 Old 11-08-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Welcome to the club Cloud9.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers - BLUESOUND Node
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page