Official Tannoy Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #121 of 276 Old 04-24-2016, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Well i a guess we'll agree to disagree on the need for a XO change. The difference in FR was only slight and audibly it was the opposite as the Ti diaphragm had distortion. But it doesn't matter. That was a completely different speaker than the Reaction.

Ya just working on their next line up. I wasn't involved in the Radian stuff. I don't know what the XO was like. With high efficiency coaxials there's always response anomalies. Thats just the trade off, for almost any coaxial. Kef is probably the best I've seen regarding this. The new Reaction stuff they sent me isn't immune. But in the HT world where good center channels are nearly nonexistent and surround placement is almost always near the ceiling, its a trade off i think is worthwhile. It would be nice to have it all

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 276 Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
To be clear, my comments regarding the Be vs Ti were not with a Reaction speaker, or even a coaxial.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #123 of 276 Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
The DC 10's arrived last night and all I can say is "wow". I am hearing detail in songs that I didn't realize existed and when they say full range they mean it. I tried running with and without sub and these speakers really don't need any help.
I am leaning towards the DC 10 Ti's and wanted to know if a sub was necessary? I was going to replace my HT speakers with them, but my wife convinced me to setup a listening room for two channel music.

That said, would the 10's be too big for a 15' X 20' room?

Thanks.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 276 Old 05-11-2016, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 412
ST, I think the DC10's would be flat out fantastic in a 15x20 room.

With an 8' ceiling you have 2400 cu ft.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #125 of 276 Old 05-11-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another consideration is the smaller drive and lesser cost Revolution XT 8F.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #126 of 276 Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
I am leaning towards the DC 10 Ti's and wanted to know if a sub was necessary? I was going to replace my HT speakers with them, but my wife convinced me to setup a listening room for two channel music.

Thanks.
I think the DC10 Ti would be fine in that size of a room. My vote goes for getting them.
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #127 of 276 Old 05-14-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Thanks.
No sub necessary, the bass is unbelievable. I moved my new sub down to my movie theatre where I now have 2 subs. I think you will be extremely pleased with these speakers.
post #128 of 276 Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Another consideration is the smaller drive and lesser cost Revolution XT 8F.
I humbly think that the DC10's are worth the extra money. I think they are the best speakers I have heard including some that cost 3 times as much. I purchased the dc8 ti's for my theatre room and regret not spending the money on another pair of 10's. I incorrectly assumed that the 10's would be too much for the room since I have some IW 63's in my back wall. The 8's sound great but the 10's are just that much better.
post #129 of 276 Old 05-14-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't argue that. The Rev XT 8F are a great value at 75% less cost.

But if cash is not a problem then why not.

If interested I got 2 used IW62-TDC in walls. About 8 years old been out of th wall for 3 years.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #130 of 276 Old 05-29-2016, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Hey all, I'm a Tannoy convert after rediscovering some DC4 that I bought from a place called London Drugs(!) on clearance a few years ago. A single 4" dual concentric driver that images and provides superior detail. Anyway, I think I'm going to have to get more Tannoy since these little speakers rival everything else I've got. I'm still thinking bookshelf, but could anyone offer an opinion on the DC8, XT6 or Precision 6.1?
post #131 of 276 Old 05-30-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Hey all, I'm a Tannoy convert after rediscovering some DC4 that I bought from a place called London Drugs(!) on clearance a few years ago. A single 4" dual concentric driver that images and provides superior detail. Anyway, I think I'm going to have to get more Tannoy since these little speakers rival everything else I've got. I'm still thinking bookshelf, but could anyone offer an opinion on the DC8, XT6 or Precision 6.1?
I just finished my Memorial Day Weekend listening tour and the DC8 is an excellent speaker. I liked the DC10t's better, but I'm not sure if they are worth the extra cost (I'm getting them anyway). The dealer offered me an unbelievable deal on the DC8's and I nearly bit at the offer. I'm still putting together my new system (in my head) and will post a more detailed review of my listening. While all listening is subjective, especially when you have to go store to store to store (with many hours in between), I can say the Tannoy's were just a bit better than their competition (KEF, Revel). If you're looking at speakers sub $3k, I would whole-heartedly recommend the DC8's, but I didn't listen to the XT6 or Precision 6.1, so I can't give you my impression of them.

post #132 of 276 Old 06-01-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I just finished my Memorial Day Weekend listening tour and the DC8 is an excellent speaker. I liked the DC10t's better, but I'm not sure if they are worth the extra cost (I'm getting them anyway). The dealer offered me an unbelievable deal on the DC8's and I nearly bit at the offer. I'm still putting together my new system (in my head) and will post a more detailed review of my listening. While all listening is subjective, especially when you have to go store to store to store (with many hours in between), I can say the Tannoy's were just a bit better than their competition (KEF, Revel). If you're looking at speakers sub $3k, I would whole-heartedly recommend the DC8's, but I didn't listen to the XT6 or Precision 6.1, so I can't give you my impression of them.
You won't be sorry. Interestingly I listened to the DC 8's in my house before deciding on the 10's. I'm looking forward to your review. I also found the Tannoy's more to my liking than the Kef reference.
post #133 of 276 Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
The Precision series will be going away.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #134 of 276 Old 06-06-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Listening Tests

I spent Memorial Day weekend (the week before and a few days afterwards) testing some relatively high end speakers. Unlike cables/amps/etc, I don't think anyone disputes they can hear a difference between speakers. The oddest thing about my listening tour was there wasn't a speaker I didn't like - just speakers I liked more than others. Of course, never being in the studio while these tracks were recorded, do I like something more because the speaker is distorting the sound (something I don't want)? So the old adage works, choose the speaker you like.

I tested more speakers than I dare mention, including B&W 803's; Tannoy DC8 / DC10t; KEF Reference and others. I really can't say anything bad about any speaker, but I can say I liked the Tannoy DC10's best of all. I will say if you are looking for a sub-$3k pair of speakers you really need to listen to the DC8's.

I didn't test the speakers blind - and I will say looks may very well have influenced my decision, as I found the Tannoy's and B&W's the most aesthetically pleasing. There is a simple pleasure in viewing beautiful speakers and I am looking for furniture as much as great sound. Equate my choice with fine dining - how well is that course plated? Plating might not change the taste of the food in a blind test, but it definitely effects your overall impression of the dinner. Don't believe that analogy, eat a great meal alone or put an extremely beautiful person across from you. Believe me, the dinner with the beautiful person is better, even if the food is the same.

I brought music I know and is recorded very well, which is far less than I thought. I brought SACD versions of Pink Floyds DSOTM & WYWH, Dire Straits Brothers, CD of Chesky's Ultimate test and Firebird Suite (Telarc).

What I loved most about the DC10's was their authority and detail. Listening to music at low volume levels, or soft passages while listening at high volume levels, the speakers seemed invisible, but when the music needed to get loud I didn't feel any other speaker matched them. They seemed to almost say "I'm in charge here!".

I don't want to write a long review about what I heard on each track, or where other speakers fell short, I just want to tell anyone looking for speakers you need to add the Tannoy brand to your list.

Sadly I haven't ordered them as our planned home renovations aren't going to be finished until late September. But when they are in the house, I will definitely take pictures and post them.

post #135 of 276 Old 06-06-2016, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I'd love to see the pics once it's all done. I love my Tannoys, but not for aesthetic reasons (they are ugly but are behind the screen as they are supposed to be). They sound phenomenal and laugh at every thing I throw at them.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #136 of 276 Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blaster, I heard the DC12i's about 9 years ago at CEDIA and ordered them on the spot!

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #137 of 276 Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tannoy Eclipse series

Bought the Denon AVR X1200 and paired it up with Tannoy Eclipse 3 the new floor stander from Tannoy. Except for the finish on them, these babies sound as good as the mercury series. Did not go for the Mercury series as I had budget constraints. Had to shell out around 40000 indian rupees (460 GBP) which is 1.5 times the retail price in the UK.

Pros
Excellent speakers for the price, especially for music
Good low end
Makes a hell lot of bass for its size
Highs are smooth without the brightness which I dont like

Cons
Finish could be better / Black oak looks plain and ordinary
Expensive in this part of the world
Vocals are a bit laid back when playing a movie in 2.0, requires a dedicated central channel speaker.
Rear port makes the bass a bit too boomy when placed close to a wall

Any one here has experience with Tannoy Eclipse series?
Planning to add a Central channel Tannoy C and Eclipse Mini for surrounds.
Dealer was suggesting Mercury 7C for the central speaker and surrounds.

Can some one suggest a good sub woofer (Below 200GBP/ 400$) for pairing them up with the Tannoys, ( more for movies. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160701_062017.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1540193  
post #138 of 276 Old 07-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Folks, is the Westminster Royal (the current versions) still a choice compared with those high-high-end speakers?
post #139 of 276 Old 07-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello Tannoy fans,

See my Tannoy-based system here. I'm using 15" K3808 speakers, mainly for stereo but they are awesome for movies. No subwoofers needed
post #140 of 276 Old 08-10-2016, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi, any of you guys using a Tannoy Definitition subwoofer?

Can't find any reviews of the sub from anywhere in the world, just reviews of the Def speakers as the sub became available at a later date 2012 I believe. Just wondering if it reliable/any good as it is an unusual design with two 12" drivers on either side. 2yr warranty active components/5yr passive components.

Can't post any links of the sub as this is my first post, apparently you have to have made 5 posts!

TIA
post #141 of 276 Old 08-12-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have used the Definition INSTALL DS 15i

It is passive and requires an amp.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #142 of 276 Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Blaster, I heard the DC12i's about 9 years ago at CEDIA and ordered them on the spot!
Have you ever compared the DC12i with those newer JBL speakers (M2, 708, 4367)?
post #143 of 276 Old 08-13-2016, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, I have not listened to those products from JBL.

As a cost comparison 3 (LCR) DC12i MSRP is under $6000 and the same layout for the JBL M2 is around $18,000. I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

The JBL M2 and 708 need specific amps to drive them from Crown.

Maybe I can listen to the JBL M2 at CEDIA if they are in the JBL Synthesis room.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #144 of 276 Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Currently, I have an all reaction audio line up for the fronts, side and rears. I have the CX-10's for my LCR and the CX-8's for my side and rear surrounds. I was thinking of switching out my fronts for either thr tannoy DC12i's or th DC8i's (for LCR).

My preference would be the 12's, which I would need to buy in two stages (replace the center now and the LR down the road)...selling the reaction audio speakers after the tannoy purchase is complete.

I ran across some used tannoy dc8i's that would be doable sooner than later. I wanted to hear others thoughts and opinions on which you would recommend relative to performance in my room etc?

Thanks for any and all help
Ron

Ps: my room is 14x19 with 8.5 ft ceilings. Dedicated and enclosed to HT.
post #145 of 276 Old 08-19-2016, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Currently, I have an all reaction audio line up for the fronts, side and rears. I have the CX-10's for my LCR and the CX-8's for my side and rear surrounds. I was thinking of switching out my fronts for either thr tannoy DC12i's or th DC8i's (for LCR).

My preference would be the 12's, which I would need to buy in two stages (replace the center now and the LR down the road)...selling the reaction audio speakers after the tannoy purchase is complete.

I ran across some used tannoy dc8i's that would be doable sooner than later. I wanted to hear others thoughts and opinions on which you would recommend relative to performance in my room etc?

Thanks for any and all help
Ron

Ps: my room is 14x19 with 8.5 ft ceilings. Dedicated and enclosed to HT.
Your seating distance would come into play but I would lean towards the 12's for the front stage and use the 8's for the rear. You could get the used 8's and try them upfront and then move them to the rear once you have the funds to go with the 12's. I found some used VXP 8's (similar to the DCi8's) and I am currently using them for rears. They seem very capable for what it's worth and have been excellent for their intended use.
post #146 of 276 Old 08-20-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Your seating distance would come into play but I would lean towards the 12's for the front stage and use the 8's for the rear. You could get the used 8's and try them upfront and then move them to the rear once you have the funds to go with the 12's. I found some used VXP 8's (similar to the DCi8's) and I am currently using them for rears. They seem very capable for what it's worth and have been excellent for their intended use.
Great advice. My seating distance is approx. 9 ft from the speakers in the first row and 13 ft for the second row. Thanks again for taking the time to provide your thoughts

Ron
post #147 of 276 Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I had the DC12i the first row was at 15'. I used them for another job in a slight that'll smaller room and the client was very happy.

Do you have a room layout?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #148 of 276 Old 08-20-2016, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

DC6i for surrounds and Di 6DC ceiling mounted for Atmos would be sweet.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #149 of 276 Old 08-20-2016, 11:44 AM

Thanks Mike for the on-going feedback, much appreciated. McLuvin's comments about the VX series got me interested...what is the difference in performance between the DC 12i's and their brother speaker in the VX series...the VX 12's ?
post #150 of 276 Old 08-21-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RB,

I have not used nor installed the VX line since it is a "pro" product however it is available to me if a project required such.

From a first glance the drivers and performance graphs look similar. The VX has some configuration options such as HP (higher output) and Q (built in waveguide for narrower vertical and horizontal dispersion).

Another VX advantage is a variety of mounting options with built bolt patterns and a thicker birch plywood construction.

If you like I can contact Tannoy tech support for additional comments and feedback.
rboster likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page