Official Tannoy Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #151 of 300 Old 08-21-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2783
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
RB,

I have not used nor installed the VX line since it is a "pro" product however it is available to me if a project required such.

From a first glance the drivers and performance graphs look similar. The VX has some configuration options such as HP (higher output) and Q (built in waveguide for narrower vertical and horizontal dispersion).

Another VX advantage is a variety of mounting options with built bolt patterns and a thicker birch plywood construction.

If you like I can contact Tannoy tech support for additional comments and feedback.
That would be awesome if you had the time. I'm also going to send you a pm with a question.

As always thanks

Ron

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 300 Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello , any tips and tricks with placement some eq from avr im having really big problems with bass in my room from xt8 , in some parts of the room bass is to strong . in sweet spot bass to mild . im using marantz sr 6010 .audyssey is not helping at all only adding that bloating bass .. maybe my room to small ? 6 x 4 meters
post #153 of 300 Old 08-24-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulius Mt View Post
hello , any tips and tricks with placement some eq from avr im having really big problems with bass in my room from xt8 , in some parts of the room bass is to strong . in sweet spot bass to mild . im using marantz sr 6010 .audyssey is not helping at all only adding that bloating bass .. maybe my room to small ? 6 x 4 meters
so in the end im getting bass everywhere but not in my listening positiion with sub or without it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 300 Old 08-24-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Not knowing anything about your sub placement, I'd suggest getting the sub out of the corner - at least 4-5ft away from a wall. If that isn't the issue, play around with some cheap fiberglass insulation you can get from Home Depot. You can buy firm 4" thick fiberglass for about $30, then put it into the closest corner near the sub. It won't absorb the deepest frequencies but it should help. If it does, wrap it in speaker cloth, or even do some custom cloth, like they are in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...els-cheap.html

Good luck.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #155 of 300 Old 08-26-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Not knowing anything about your sub placement, I'd suggest getting the sub out of the corner - at least 4-5ft away from a wall. If that isn't the issue, play around with some cheap fiberglass insulation you can get from Home Depot. You can buy firm 4" thick fiberglass for about $30, then put it into the closest corner near the sub. It won't absorb the deepest frequencies but it should help. If it does, wrap it in speaker cloth, or even do some custom cloth, like they are in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...els-cheap.html

Good luck.
you get me wrong XT 8 TANNOY's floolstanders
post #156 of 300 Old 08-26-2016, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
you get me wrong XT 8 TANNOY's floolstanders
The only reason you can hear bass everywhere but the listening position are the sound waves at certain frequencies are canceling each other out. The best solution is to begin moving your speakers around so that you change the location where the bass frequencies interact. I wish there was a magic solution, but it will take a lot of experimentation with location.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #157 of 300 Old 08-26-2016, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Regarding post 151, the DC12i and VX12 are very close in spec and sonic characteristics. The VX is a "pro" model built from birch plywood (DC12i is MDF) and pre drilled bracket holes for a variety of mounting options.

The XV 12 HP and VX 12Q are different animals sonically built for a different purpose.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #158 of 300 Old 08-27-2016, 07:31 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 232
@blastermaster

Blaster - how are you enjoying the 62TDC's as rear surrounds? I am strongly considering these as rear surrounds for my 18x26x10 family room, with Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C's up front (4.2.2 setup). Thread just posted here..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ars-4-2-a.html

Not a lot of info on the Tannoy's. Anxious as to how they would perform in this sort of compromised family room setup, and whether I need to spend the extra CAD$500 or so on the 62's vs the 6's given they will be crossed at 80hz. Probably will I guess...

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #159 of 300 Old 08-29-2016, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm considering Revolution XT8F speakers, looking for recommendations on a receiver for them.

Would this be sufficient/good: https://www.amazon.ca/Marantz-SR6010...round+receiver

Or if I need more power, the SR7008 is also available: https://www.amazon.ca/Marantz-SR7008...rds=marantz+sr

Or should I look at Anthem series? If so which one?

Last edited by craiggerz; 08-29-2016 at 05:13 PM.
post #160 of 300 Old 08-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Thanks Mike for the on-going feedback, much appreciated. McLuvin's comments about the VX series got me interested...what is the difference in performance between the DC 12i's and their brother speaker in the VX series...the VX 12's ?
Hi Rboster,

I actually contacted Tannoy support to ask this very question and it turns out that they are indeed very similar. Also note that I am using the VXP model of the 8" and not the VX. The only difference between the two is that the VXP is powered while the VX is passive.

Here is the email string from Tannoy support on the matter:

VXP 12 & DC12i - 12" drivers

Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between these two cabinet drivers? They seem very similar and was trying to understand how they might differ?

Hello Greg, Just an evolution of the same driver. [ The P refers to the powered version of the VX12 ]

If you look at the lineage of Tannoy paper cone 12's you can go all the way back to the CPA 12 ,but that had a rubber surround. The lineage of this cone kit with its fabric surround would start with the i12, which later became the V12. At the time also in ceiling product under CMS12 TDC ,as well as in the Definition install DC12i

Then the most recent version went to a different basket with 10 bolt holes and a neodymium HF section. But it still uses the same cone kit that goes all the way back to the i12

They are all functionally the same driver and only the way the crossover and speaker cabinet tuning is voiced for a particular application differentiate between them.

Thank you so much for the response. Yes, I am interested in them for a medium size room to do some 5.1 work. I like the idea of the powered VXP 12 but I also like the wall mount option of the DC12i. I thought about maybe mixing the two together since they both have their installation strengths and was wondering how that would work out. How similar are the voicing between these two cabinets? Would an auto-eq setup help them sound about the same?

Hi, Tannoy is very consistent in how they voice speakers in the design stage. Any auto eq would have very little to do if setup with pink noise.

What I would say, and this is probably the opposite of what you had in mind, but I think it would be hard to find an outboard amp that would be as perfect as the P versions are. I say that because I have been through various incarnations of active speakers by other amp manufacturers in the Power V12 and V net 12 The amps in the current VXP12 are made by Lab Gruppen and the first time I heard them I was struck by the synergy between amp and that speaker. It just seemed more punchy and tight. So those would be my choice across the front.

Been meaning to share that for awhile now as I thought others might find it to be useful information.
rboster likes this.
post #161 of 300 Old 08-30-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Hi Rboster,

I actually contacted Tannoy support to ask this very question and it turns out that they are indeed very similar. Also note that I am using the VXP model of the 8" and not the VX. The only difference between the two is that the VXP is powered while the VX is passive.

VXP 12 & DC12i - 12" drivers

Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between these two cabinet drivers? They seem very similar and was trying to understand how they might differ?

Hello Greg, Just an evolution of the same driver. [ The P refers to the powered version of the VX12 ]

If you look at the lineage of Tannoy paper cone 12's you can go all the way back to the CPA 12 ,but that had a rubber surround. The lineage of this cone kit with its fabric surround would start with the i12, which later became the V12. At the time also in ceiling product under CMS12 TDC ,as well as in the Definition install DC12i

Then the most recent version went to a different basket with 10 bolt holes and a neodymium HF section. But it still uses the same cone kit that goes all the way back to the i12

They are all functionally the same driver and only the way the crossover and speaker cabinet tuning is voiced for a particular application differentiate between them.

Thank you so much for the response. Yes, I am interested in them for a medium size room to do some 5.1 work. I like the idea of the powered VXP 12 but I also like the wall mount option of the DC12i. I thought about maybe mixing the two together since they both have their installation strengths and was wondering how that would work out. How similar are the voicing between these two cabinets? Would an auto-eq setup help them sound about the same?

Hi, Tannoy is very consistent in how they voice speakers in the design stage. Any auto eq would have very little to do if setup with pink noise.

What I would say, and this is probably the opposite of what you had in mind, but I think it would be hard to find an outboard amp that would be as perfect as the P versions are. I say that because I have been through various incarnations of active speakers by other amp manufacturers in the Power V12 and V net 12 The amps in the current VXP12 are made by Lab Gruppen and the first time I heard them I was struck by the synergy between amp and that speaker. It just seemed more punchy and tight. So those would be my choice across the front.

Been meaning to share that for awhile now as I thought others might find it to be useful information.
Wow, thanks for the information. Much appreciated. I'm near making a purchase on the dc12i's. I'm putting a deposit down and hoping to move my Reaction Audio CX-10's quickly to help make up the difference.

Thanks again

Ron

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #162 of 300 Old 08-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the information. Much appreciated. I'm near making a purchase on the dc12i's. I'm putting a deposit down and hoping to move my Reaction Audio CX-10's quickly to help make up the difference.

Thanks again

Ron

You bet and would love to hear you opinion between the two speakers. I was once interested in the Reaction coaxes but that seems to be turning into a mess now.
post #163 of 300 Old 08-30-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
You bet and would love to hear you opinion between the two speakers. I was once interested in the Reaction coaxes but that seems to be turning into a mess now.
There is a good chance I won't have both in house at the same time. But, I can give my best recollection of the RA vs the tannoy.

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs at RA. I bought mine march of 2015, when they were really thriving. My cx-10's were in the beginning of the cx-10 product cycle. Jeremey was sending he speakers out for avs gtg for members to compare to other speakers...it looked like he had a potential long term ID company....but he grew way too quickly and couldn't keep up. Sorry, I don't want to turn this into an RA thread, that would be inappropriate. Back to tannoy discussion

post #164 of 300 Old 09-02-2016, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend good set of floor standing speakers? i'll mainly be using it for music / movies (70/30). Need very good front speakers.. thinking of 3.0 or 3.1
post #165 of 300 Old 09-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Following this thread with interest, but wondering if anyone can chime in with any experience with the Mercury line of Tannoy. I have the VR's in surround duty for a several years and have always been impressed with them. Any opinions on the bookshelves for LR mains, with a sub of course?
post #166 of 300 Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Following this thread with interest, but wondering if anyone can chime in with any experience with the Mercury line of Tannoy. I have the VR's in surround duty for a several years and have always been impressed with them. Any opinions on the bookshelves for LR mains, with a sub of course?
Which vr's are you using?

post #167 of 300 Old 09-03-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:

If you look at the lineage of Tannoy paper cone 12's you can go all the way back to the CPA 12 ,but that had a rubber surround. The lineage of this cone kit with its fabric surround would start with the i12, which later became the V12...But it still uses the same cone kit that goes all the way back to the i12
That doesn't sound right. The CPA12 and i12 were rated at 60deg dispersion. The DC12i and VX12 are rated at 90deg. Since cone depth determines directivity (basically) for a given diameter, the 90deg ones would have to be shallower than the 60deg ones.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #168 of 300 Old 09-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Which vr's are you using?
http://www.cnet.com/products/tannoy-...-wired-series/

This is the only iteration of the vr I know of were there different versions? Great little speaker that hits above it's weight!

Sent from my LG-v410 using Tapatalk
post #169 of 300 Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM

Recommended in ceiling speaker and size to match up with the xt8f revolution speakers?
post #170 of 300 Old 09-07-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

Look at the CMS603DC (6") and CMS803DC (8") in ceiling.

What is your ceiling height?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #171 of 300 Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@juveguy

What is your budget?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #172 of 300 Old 09-07-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
^^^

Look at the CMS603DC (6") and CMS803DC (8") in ceiling.

What is your ceiling height?
Ceiling height will be around 7' I believe. Room is not finished yet. I posted room sizing here, I was wondering if I could go with the 503?
post #173 of 300 Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

For surround or Atmos or both?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #174 of 300 Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Both? Just atmos? Whatever would work that wouldn't compromise the sound too much.
post #175 of 300 Old 09-08-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

7' might be low for Atmos.

How far along are you in construction?

Can the bathroom be moved? If so I got some ideas that I think would give a better room and seating design.

PM me if you have the time.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #176 of 300 Old 09-08-2016, 11:50 AM

We're far enough that rooms cannot be changed. The bathroom could not be moved even if we weren't that far along.
post #177 of 300 Old 09-09-2016, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
@blastermaster

Blaster - how are you enjoying the 62TDC's as rear surrounds? I am strongly considering these as rear surrounds for my 18x26x10 family room, with Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C's up front (4.2.2 setup). Thread just posted here..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ars-4-2-a.html

Not a lot of info on the Tannoy's. Anxious as to how they would perform in this sort of compromised family room setup, and whether I need to spend the extra CAD$500 or so on the 62's vs the 6's given they will be crossed at 80hz. Probably will I guess...

So sorry I haven't been on in a fair bit of time. It's been all about camping and beaches with the family. Now that school is back in session, I can start thinking about home theater again. I have the IW63's for my sides and the 62's for my rear. I hate to say it, but if I could do it again, I wouldn't get the IW62's. If you are going to do in-wall, you really need to get ones with a backer box to increase bass response. You could just throw the IW62 into the wall without a backer, but you'd know that it's not as good as it could be. Tannoy has a metal backer for the IW62 which I bought from Full Compass. Little did I realize it is absolutely massive. So it was a big "screw that" to putting it into my wall and I built a wood frame around the backer box and am using them as freestanding speakers. my ARC room correction crosses over my IW63s (which have a backer) at 80hz, and my IW62's at 150hz, so clearly something is amiss. I don't like the backer box and am going to rip the whole damn thing apart and figure out the volume and make my own boxes out of mdf. I'm sure it will make it sound way better.

The long and short of it is, I would get the IW63's instead. They are phenomenal. The problem is, they are like $1300 new. I got mine off ebay for $999 for the pair. If you're patient you can find some great deals.

Edit: Just saw this:

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.p...ducts_id=11183

@rboster ,

I think you are going to love your DC12i's. I don't have anything really to compare them to, but I find the dialogue to be so crystal clear. I have them toed in directly at the MLP FWIW.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Panny UB420, Epson 6040UB, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.

Last edited by blastermaster; 09-09-2016 at 02:15 PM.
post #178 of 300 Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've seen the the IW63 for as low as $999 each new.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #179 of 300 Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If it helps anyone there seems to be quite a bit of B-Stock available. This varies per series and model my source states.
rboster likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #180 of 300 Old 09-13-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
So sorry I haven't been on in a fair bit of time. It's been all about camping and beaches with the family. Now that school is back in session, I can start thinking about home theater again. I have the IW63's for my sides and the 62's for my rear. I hate to say it, but if I could do it again, I wouldn't get the IW62's. If you are going to do in-wall, you really need to get ones with a backer box to increase bass response. You could just throw the IW62 into the wall without a backer, but you'd know that it's not as good as it could be. Tannoy has a metal backer for the IW62 which I bought from Full Compass. Little did I realize it is absolutely massive. So it was a big "screw that" to putting it into my wall and I built a wood frame around the backer box and am using them as freestanding speakers. my ARC room correction crosses over my IW63s (which have a backer) at 80hz, and my IW62's at 150hz, so clearly something is amiss. I don't like the backer box and am going to rip the whole damn thing apart and figure out the volume and make my own boxes out of mdf. I'm sure it will make it sound way better.

The long and short of it is, I would get the IW63's instead. They are phenomenal. The problem is, they are like $1300 new. I got mine off ebay for $999 for the pair. If you're patient you can find some great deals.

Edit: Just saw this:

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.p...ducts_id=11183

@rboster ,

I think you are going to love your DC12i's. I don't have anything really to compare them to, but I find the dialogue to be so crystal clear. I have them toed in directly at the MLP FWIW.
I'm currently in the breaking in process. I'll calibrate later this week and (hopefully) get some time to listen this weekend.

In the scant time they've been hooked up, I noticed crystal clear details and a lot of mid-bass. I've very excited about what they'll sound like. Already considering switching out my RA CX-8's on the sides (first) and the rears (second). I will say that the RA CX-10's they replaced are no slouch. I had a couple hours with the right channel an RA speaker and it did a good job of keeping up. As one can expect, it lacks in mid bass what the Tannoy supplied in spades (by comparison). Certainly it falls into an observation and not a true test between the two speakers for those seeking an A/B comparison.

Ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page