JBL 'M2' Master Reference Monitor - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2292Likes

post #3991 of 4756 Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
I actually discussed this with one of the lead Synthesis calibrators - Synthesis / ARCOS wants 80 hz for all base / floor speakers. Every Synthesis calibration I have been party to starts out by setting main and surround speakers to 80 hz. The quote:

80Hz crossover point is standard for us for all lower level channels.

So, no - that parameter was not changed. As I think you already know, height channel crossover can be different.

You mention "other issues" - I haven't been following the Arcam units prior to now so not sure what is being referred to. If you want to PM me a list of concerns I'll see what I can find out. Obviously the Lexicon versions represent the most mature version of the product, now with Harman's fingerprints on it
I get that, but I just don't want my L/R at 80hz, especially when listening in 2-channel. I suppose if I can store multiple configurations and switch to a stereo configuration with a lower x-over point, then it may be acceptable.

The other issues are discussed in the Arcam thread, and unfortunately I don't have the time to rehash them and my memory is failing me. I know there were problems with the x-over slopes not combining correctly (some people were adjusting the Dirac target curve to compensate with limited success) and issues where Dirac measurements weren't being taken with the speakers in full-range. Some things may have been fixed by now, I haven't checked that thread since the unit fell off my radar because it just didn't seem flexible enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4756 Old 05-15-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2004 Post(s)
Liked: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I get that, but I just don't want my L/R at 80hz, especially when listening in 2-channel. I suppose if I can store multiple configurations and switch to a stereo configuration with a lower x-over point, then it may be acceptable.

The other issues are discussed in the Arcam thread, and unfortunately I don't have the time to rehash them and my memory is failing me. I know there were problems with the x-over slopes not combining correctly (some people were adjusting the Dirac target curve to compensate with limited success) and issues where Dirac measurements weren't being taken with the speakers in full-range. Some things may have been fixed by now, I haven't checked that thread since the unit fell off my radar because it just didn't seem flexible enough.
Will know more when I get mine, but it's my understanding you can store multiple calibrations on your laptop and load in different configurations. For example, I will have different calibrations for my Salon2 / Voice2 combo vs. the SCL2 combo.

My operations manager has the RV9 already - he says that the above is correct, but that loading in the cals takes a bit longer than what we were used to with the Anthem.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
post #3993 of 4756 Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3713 Post(s)
Liked: 3317
Quote:

The problem was that Dirac was implemented incorrectly. Instead of applying the Dirac filters downstream of the bass management, it was applying the filters upstream. The effect being that redirected bass from a satellite speaker is sent to the sub with corrections applied for the satellite speaker, not the sub. That's not good.

Hopefully Harman corrected that. It's a critical issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3994 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
The problem was that Dirac was implemented incorrectly. Instead of applying the Dirac filters downstream of the bass management, it was applying the filters upstream. The effect being that redirected bass from a satellite speaker is sent to the sub with corrections applied for the satellite speaker, not the sub. That's not good.

Ouch, Seriously? I don't understand how a situation like that could even make it into a production unit. That's terrible.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #3995 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4864 Post(s)
Liked: 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Ouch, Seriously? I don't understand how a situation like that could even make it into a production unit. That's terrible.
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like such an egregious error.
post #3996 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, no doubt.
post #3997 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4864 Post(s)
Liked: 3607
"Ten years ago I couldn't even spell 'enginear'. Now I is one."
post #3998 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Uuum ... Silly question, but why not turn on bass management before genning the Dirac correction?
post #3999 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Uuum ... Silly question, but why not turn on bass management before genning the Dirac correction?
Uuuum ... If you could do that there wouldn't be a problem . Unfortunately, Dirac measures individual speakers, not with bass management engaged. The issue is where in the chain the filters are applied.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 05-16-2018 at 09:20 AM.
post #4000 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They fixed that, but there remained issues afterwards, if I recall correctly. I remember people (mostly markus, as it seems he's the resident perfectionist, lol) complaining about how the x-over slopes were incorrect which could cause dips in the response. Also, when measuring the Dirac configuration something was engaged that shouldn't be (or wasn't that should be) and it was causing the measurement to be off; there may have been a manual work-around, but you needed to know to enable/disable a function prior to running Dirac (which wasn't documented).

At any rate, while these issues may have been resolved, too, the take-away, for me, is that the engineering team behind the unit seemingly was not schooled in proper REQ system design. Coupled with the attitude that everything was fine (until finally it was patched), I was pretty annoyed with the company.

Really wish Harmon partnered with someone else for the Lex unit.

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 05-16-2018 at 09:35 AM.
post #4001 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Uuuum ... If you could do that there wouldn't be a problem . Unfortunately, Dirac measures individual speakers, not with bass management engaged. The issue is where in the chain the filters are applied.
Oh ...

You right, that is a bad implementation. Dirac assumes that each loudspeaker has it's own channel. That is the sub (or subs) have their own channel. The next version of Dirac Live will include bass management. I wonder if that will help or further frustrate the problem. I am guessing that it will make it worse.
post #4002 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
The next version of Dirac Live will include bass management.
Which version were they hyping at CES, 1.2? This bass management feature is in a later version?

Life is Lambertian
post #4003 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They fixed that, but there remained issues afterwards, if I recall correctly. I remember people (mostly markus, as it seems he's the resident perfectionist, lol) complaining about how the x-over slopes were incorrect which could cause dips in the response. Also, when measuring the Dirac configuration something was engaged that shouldn't be (or wasn't that should be) and it was causing the measurement to be off; there may have been a manual work-around, but you needed to know to enable/disable a function prior to running Dirac (which wasn't documented).

At any rate, while these issues may have been resolved, too, the take-away, for me, is that the engineering team behind the unit seemingly was not schooled in proper REQ system design. Coupled with the attitude that everything was fine (until finally it was patched), I was pretty annoyed with the company.

Really wish Harmon partnered with someone else for the Lex unit.
I didn't follow whether it was resolved. My understanding was that it wasn't possible with just a firmware update, but clearly I was wrong there . Did they do some kind of workaround, or did they fix it proper?

I also recall that they were applying the 10dB gain to the subwoofer output, not the LFE channel. Another "DUH!" engineering moment. So yeah, I agree that I would approach anything by them with caution.
post #4004 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Which version were they hyping at CES, 1.2? This bass management feature is in a later version?

I wasn't at CES this year, but it is my understanding that they showed an early version of their next generation software. Dirac has been working to include bass management for a while and have mentioned that fact in public forums from time to.
post #4005 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh ...

You right, that is a bad implementation. Dirac assumes that each loudspeaker has it's own channel. That is the sub (or subs) have their own channel. The next version of Dirac Live will include bass management. I wonder if that will help or further frustrate the problem. I am guessing that it will make it worse.
Not sure about that. But a goofball engineering team could screw up just about anything .
post #4006 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 3749 Post(s)
Liked: 3740
Quote:
Not sure about that. But a goofball engineering team could screw up just about anything .
This is the MC10? Wow, amateur hour over at lexicon.

EDIT: amateur hour at arcam then

Last edited by notnyt; 05-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.
post #4007 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't follow whether it was resolved. My understanding was that it wasn't possible with just a firmware update, but clearly I was wrong there . Did they do some kind of workaround, or did they fix it proper?

I also recall that they were applying the 10dB gain to the subwoofer output, not the LFE channel. Another "DUH!" engineering moment. So yeah, I agree that I would approach anything by them with caution.
I think the bass management stuff was properly fixed, with the exception, I believe, of the x-over slopes chosen not being optimal for Dirac. But, I believe the flow through the processing engine is now correct.

At this point, if anything remains I'm unsure as I haven't really been following every since it became apparent they weren't going to correct the x-over slopes or add more flexible x-over selections.

I'd still consider the piece if I could save multiple configurations (one for stereo and one for movie mode) because I suppose an 80hz x-over all-around for movies would be fine. However, it doesn't appear I can do that either without loading them in off a laptop, and that's not an acceptable solution to me.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #4008 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
This is the MC10? Wow, amateur hour over at lexicon.
No, it was an Arcam unit, can't remember which.
post #4009 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Post deleted due to incorrect information.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 05-17-2018 at 07:14 AM.
post #4010 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Post deleted due to incorrect information.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 05-17-2018 at 07:11 AM.
post #4011 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
The 205 has a pair of balanced INPUTS, but no balanced OUTPUTS. It does have the same unbalanced analog outputs as the 203.

Please look at your picture.

Does “XLR BALANCED STEREO OUT” have a different meaning to you than it’s...actual meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
More importantly, the only processing available is what's in the Oppo, which is pretty rudimentary.

Please explain how, in the context of discussions of a 2.0-channel system powered by a very sophisticated DSP-amplifier, “rudimentary” processing in the pre-pro is at all an issue.

Reading comp is your friend.

(In fairness, there could be an issue if its decoder is too rudimentary to downmix to 2.0.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #4012 of 4756 Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Meridian has a new processor out. New to me, at least. They came out with a new version of the 621 which accepts UHD HDMI + ARC. It still depends on the player decoding the audio to PCM, so no Atmos, but might be good for 2ch or 7.1. I read over in $20k forum once that their speaker-link outputs worked with SPDIF, which can work with AES. I remember Doc was looking for something cheaper than Trinnov with multichannel digital out. You would need to double check compatibility, but maybe an option.

It looks like they dropped prices in 2016. So G65 is around $3k. Might be pounds. The side car thing for hdmi input is $1.5k, I think. Could be wrong. But that puts it not too far off from avm60.

For the guys using the iTechs, where the calibration is basically done in the amp, the Merdian SSP might be a way to get volume control on digital outputs.

post #4013 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What gain levels do you recommend on the itech5000hd? I currently have mine at -10db. Also, did you guys tweak anything after the M2 processing software download? Was wondering if needed to change anything to pair better with my AVR?
post #4014 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don480 View Post
What gain levels do you recommend on the itech5000hd? I currently have mine at -10db. Also, did you guys tweak anything after the M2 processing software download? Was wondering if needed to change anything to pair better with my AVR?
Why do you have it set to -10 now?
post #4015 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you have it set to -10 now?
I thought I read in here that was the recommended gain? I may have misread. Would love your help with setup to optimize my M2’s as far as the amp settings.
post #4016 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought I read in here that was the recommended gain? I may have misread. Would love your help with setup to optimize my M2’s as far as the amp settings.
The iTech's are very flexible amps, and the goal is not any particular number, but the numbers that optimize your gain structure. And what I mean by that, is that you want to maximize the signal to noise ratio of your signal chain. Every system has a noise floor that is inherent to whatever gear you own and that cannot be lowered. But you can raise the signal voltage as far above that noise floor as possible, or in other words maximize the signal to noise ratio.

Many amps only have output gain controls(well, actually, most don't even have that), but the iTechs also have an input sensitivity control. That should be maximally adjusted before you adjust the gain, which results in a higher signal into the amp for the same volume....again, maximizing the s/n ratio and moving what you hear farther from the noise floor. So if you have a -10db output gain and a 32dB sensitivity setting (just made that up, don't know what yours is) now, then if you decreased your sensitivity to 22dB and put your output gain back to zero you would have the same volume from the speaker's, but you just optimized your gain structure in a better way by increasing the s/n ratio.

Hope that makes sense. The goal is to adjust the output gains last only if you have to.
brahman12 and torii like this.
post #4017 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 1903
Quote:

Hope that makes sense. The goal is to adjust the output gains last only if you have to.

the key with the gains is to make your amp work best with efficiency...which is always different based on gear/room..it all needs to be adjusted with some knowledge imo.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #4018 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The iTech's are very flexible amps, and the goal is not any particular number, but the numbers that optimize your gain structure. And what I mean by that, is that you want to maximize the signal to noise ratio of your signal chain. Every system has a noise floor that is inherent to whatever gear you own and that cannot be lowered. But you can raise the signal voltage as far above that noise floor as possible, or in other words maximize the signal to noise ratio.

Many amps only have output gain controls(well, actually, most don't even have that), but the iTechs also have an input sensitivity control. That should be maximally adjusted before you adjust the gain, which results in a higher signal into the amp for the same volume....again, maximizing the s/n ratio and moving what you hear farther from the noise floor. So if you have a -10db output gain and a 32dB sensitivity setting (just made that up, don't know what yours is) now, then if you decreased your sensitivity to 22dB and put your output gain back to zero you would have the same volume from the speaker's, but you just optimized your gain structure in a better way by increasing the s/n ratio.

Ok so it makes sense. I haven’t touched any of the settings expect the gain after I installed the M2 software. Should I change the sensitivity of the itech when used with my AV8802a? If so what do you recommend? And what should I have my gain set at on my itechs? Sorry if this is a dumb question. You guys have far superior more knowledge than I do. But that why I come here to pick your brains. 😁

Last edited by don480; 05-17-2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Typo
post #4019 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 1903
you can adjust gains on marantz?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #4020 of 4756 Old 05-17-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok so it makes sense. I haven’t touched any of the settings expect the gain after I installed the M2 software. Should I change the sensitivity of the itech when used with my AV8802a? If so what do you recommend? And what should I have my gain set at on my itechs? Sorry if this is a dumb question. You guys have far superior more knowledge than I do. But that why I come here to pick your brains. 😁
Do you have an SPL meter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page