AVS Forum banner

JBL 'M2' Master Reference Monitor

541K views 6K replies 238 participants last post by  holyindian 
#1 ·
 NAMM 2013 has just begun , and JBL is ready with a very exciting new speaker - the M2 'Master Reference Monitor'. JBL says the new speaker features a 'revolutionary' waveguide dubbed 'Image Control' that provides neutral off-axis frequency response and a 800 Hz crossover frequency when used with their new 'D2' compression driver. Each monitor is powered by 1,000 watts of Crown I-Tech power. This is a large, powerful speaker - in fact it is JBL's largest studio monitor. JBL is touting a SPL of 123db at one meter and an in-room frequency response of 20hz-40Khz, impressive figures by any standard. Is this speaker the new reference? Is this impressive speaker going to become the new 'must have' LCR for home theater buffs not constrained by budget? I know I want a pair.

edit - JBL has updated their website with a lot of info , everything but a MSRP. Look at this frequency response chart:

Quote:
To allow an imperceptible transition between the two drivers, and deliver exceptional imaging, JBL Engineers pioneered a new patent-pending waveguide dubbed “Image Control” that enables neutral frequency response, not just on-axis, but off-axis in the vertical and horizontal planes all the way down to the M2’s 800 Hz crossover point. The unique geometry of the waveguide allows the M2 to deliver remarkable high-frequency detail and imaging and natural timbre at any listening position, in a broad range of acoustic environments.
http://harmanprogroup.blogspot.com/2013/01/harmans-jbl-professional-introduces-m2.html

See less See more
#3 ·
If I read JBL's press release correctly, what's new with the waveguide is the design features both constant directivity and flat EQ, whereas normally CD horns have a steep roll-off starting around 3Khz that needs to be compensated for (I know, I use CD horns). If they are using a coaxial driver and a hybrid waveguide to pull off that trick, bravo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22875169

Not sure what's new here; CD (constant directivity) waveguides have been around awhile, including from JBL.

Maybe it's the evolution of the WG, which looks different, with improvement of directivity control at the freq extremes.

#4 ·
Any ideas on an msrp?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22876786

If I read JBL's press release correctly, what's new with the waveguide is the design features both constant directivity and flat EQ, whereas normally CD horns have a steep roll-off starting around 3Khz that needs to be compensated for (I know, I use CD horns). If they are using a coaxial driver and a hybrid waveguide to pull off that trick, bravo.
There is nothing in the JBL info that suggests that the horn noes not exhibit the typical CD horn roll-off, so that remains an open question. What appears to be key to this product is the horn shape, use of the "D2 Compression Driver which uses two annular diaphragms," and integrated electronics. I'd love to mate this to our active crossovers and correction- that would be very interesting!

#8 ·
Yeah... What is the MSRP on these babies?

#11 ·
JBL calls for each speaker to be powered by a Crown iTech 5000HD - so that's $6,000 per speaker for amplification alone.

The JBL S4700 has the identical woofer - JBL 2216Nd and a similar cabinet. The price of the s4700 is $20,000/pair, so it would not be surprising if these cost the same or perhaps a bit more per unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22879291

lets guess ... 10k?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22879423

JBL calls for each speaker to be powered by a Crown iTech 5000HD - so that's $6.000 per speaker for amplification alone.

The JBL S4700 has the identical woofer - JBL 2216Nd and a similar cabinet. The price of the s4700 is $20,000/pair, so it would not be surprising if these cost the same or perhaps a bit more per unit.

Suddenly the thread...went...curiously.......quiet.....

#16 ·
I would like to see it compared to the SEOS-18" with BA-750 and a JBL 2226. I bet they would be a whole lot closer sound wise, than they are money wise.

#100 ·
The advantage of a JBL engineer and the tools at his disposal and the digital active crossovers makes me think as good as the DIY group designers are... it would not even be close.

This is a very refined product, tested in multiple rooms, and chambers, over time...

A passive, simplistic 2 way crossover would not compete IMO.

#18 ·
Not quite as expensive as I expected. Now the question is which bargain DSP amp can be programmed to run them almost as well as an iTech (sorry Crown) - perhaps an XTi-4002 or 6002?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22910550

$6K MSRP each for the speaker itself, available in March:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15853

#20 ·
That's not so expensive in the world of high-end monitors
. I'm sure it'll have a 'street price', and I'm also sure someone will pick up a 3-pack and put 'em behind an AT screen. JBL OEM parts cost plenty, these are their top drivers. Even a DIY clone would cost quite a bit to put together. Each speaker is spec'd for one Crown i-Tech amp, using the built-in electronic crossovers. I figure one could program an XTi-6002 with the same parameters and get good results - pure speculation. Of course that's not the only approach - you can run them with any number of amps and DSP crossover solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg43x  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22915164

why DSP amp to run them?

6k a piece...well, who'll buy it anyway?

#21 ·
I am very likely a candidate for putting three of those behind the screen in the home theater. I already own BSS London Soundweb DSP and Crown amps, so it would be a no brainer! I have been wanting the JBL K2 S9900 for a long time, but they are out of my budget - but with the M2, I think you can get almost equal performance for a lot less.

Reactions: imagic
#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg43x  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22920746

yeah, lot less, around 1/10 the price

so what other need for DSP is there besides the active crossing of the driver/woofer? i thought i saw a passive crossover in the picture .. passive crossover can be done to be not worse than an active xo anyway..
The speaker you are linking to, is not the M2, but the consumer S4700. Uses the same LF driver though.

Besides the crossover, I would think you need DSP for the level matching between LF/HF and generel EQ filters for HF/LF. I think it would be hard for a passive crossover to beat an active solution.

#24 ·
sorry my fault, i'm looking at the different wg too right now

maybe it's not in scope of this thread but I'd be interested why it shouldn't be put otherwise: why the active solution should beat a decent passive xo.

to level the different sensitivity (simplified:) you put a resistor to the HF section, it's common not only in consumer solutions though. you can build almost any RLC passive filter. in my eyes the only advantage of the active crossing is that you can choose a power amp to each section and you have no additional coils etc. in the LF section, which would eat some power.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg43x  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22920878

sorry my fault, i'm looking at the different wg too right now

maybe it's not in scope of this thread but I'd be interested why it shouldn't be put otherwise: why the active solution should beat a decent passive xo.

to level the different sensitivity (simplified:) you put a resistor to the HF section, it's common not only in consumer solutions though. you can build almost any RLC passive filter. in my eyes the only advantage of the active crossing is that you can choose a power amp to each section and you have no additional coils etc. in the LF section, which would eat some power.
...and you could fine tune it to the specific room environment in which it was installed without fighting the passive crossover's preset compromises, and you could create saved presets for changing physical configurations and set ups in the studio, and you could program the entire thing as an "aware" system using the JBL-recommended electronics.

This is an interesting inversion of practice in which the high end consumer side of Harman is bleeding into the pro side.

Harman Luxury Audio Group: JBL Synthesis: The SDEC units (rebranded BSS units) know the processor, the amps, the speakers (and individual drivers) in the system to a "T" since they're system-specific and all the relevant data is profiled in memory. Then during calibration the SDECs "know' the room and its characteristics and the room itself becomes part of the system. Crossovers, slopes, PEQ, response curves are all tailored to that environment.

JBL Pro: M2 Master Reference Monitor: the I-Tech or BSS units know the amps (or are part of the amps), the speakers (and individual drivers) in the system to a "T" since they're system-specific and the relevant data is profiled in memory. Then during calibration the BSS Blus "know" the room and its characteristics (additional compounded by speaker placement: soffit, against a wall, freestanding) and the room itself becomes part of the system. Crossovers, slopes, PEQ, response curves are all tailored to that environment, and presets can be stored for environmental changes, such as in a project studio where there may be two or three room arrangements depending on number of musicians, instrument deployment, etc.

Can't do any of that with a passive xo.

Of course, the proof, after all the measuring, is in the listening.

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/01/25/jbl-professional-debuts-m2-master-reference-monitor/

#26 ·
sure you can't for all rooms, why would ya? i'm sceptic to try to correct room problems via some kind of equalizing and stuff, not for all listening positions. i'm talking in home industry. i'm not aware what requirements are there for studios and another specific pro apolication. maybe this graph is what it's all about (listening axis response inluding room reflexions):