JBL 'M2' Master Reference Monitor - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2355Likes

post #4771 of 4841 Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Hello

Could anyone please let me know how to install the M2 tunning files to my Crown DCI Network 800/6 amp ?

Also the last two channel will be used for my side surrounds which are 708i's.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate it guys

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Crappy Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden Acoustic Foam Pro Acoustic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4841 Old 09-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[QUOTE=I'm transitioning from 5.1 HT to 2.1 with music being the focus. That said I'd still like to use the speakers for tv/movies. It seems like most M2 users on this thread are focused on HT. Are there any users with a similar thesis to mine? Can you speak to the quality of the speaker for primarily music?[/QUOTE]

I use my M2s only for stereo via a BSS processor. The other day I listened to my friend's M2s that just had the SDP75 installed and calibrated in his 9.4 surround room. I was stunned.

The Trinnov processor coupled with it's DRC made the already nice speakers sound heavenly. His previous preamp for these was a Mark Levinson 52 preamp. The top end was shimmering and smooth no matter how loud I played it. I was listening to his system only in stereo.

My friend and I are old stereo fanatics, and the idea of using a surround-sound processor as a stereo preamp is foreign to us. That obstacle was quickly disregarded after hearing the speakers with it. Going home to my own M2s was a bit of a let-down.

I'm now saving to get the SDP75. In the future, I can always expand into surround formats.
Frohlich likes this.
post #4773 of 4841 Old 09-11-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
I use my M2s only for stereo via a BSS processor. The other day I listened to my friend's M2s that just had the SDP75 installed and calibrated in his 9.4 surround room. I was stunned.

The Trinnov processor coupled with it's DRC made the already nice speakers sound heavenly. His previous preamp for these was a Mark Levinson 52 preamp. The top end was shimmering and smooth no matter how loud I played it. I was listening to his system only in stereo.

My friend and I are old stereo fanatics, and the idea of using a surround-sound processor as a stereo preamp is foreign to us. That obstacle was quickly disregarded after hearing the speakers with it. Going home to my own M2s was a bit of a let-down.

I'm now saving to get the SDP75. In the future, I can always expand into surround formats.
I would put Lyngdorf and Lexicon on your list to evaluate. Room Perfect and Dirac Live are no slouch. I think you are hearing the corrected impulse response from the room correction software that is not available in your current system. I haven't heard the Trinnov but it always gets rave reviews. I had ordered one but backed out because it was just too much coin for my use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4774 of 4841 Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 PM

I am sure that you are right. As a matter of fact, the system sounded horrid before the DRC was accomplished in the room.

I think perhaps more of these processors that employ effective DRC, Streamers and preamplification will appear in the coming years.

Thank you for the suggestions.
post #4775 of 4841 Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 3028
Quote:
I am sure that you are right. As a matter of fact, the system sounded horrid before the DRC was accomplished in the room.

I think perhaps more of these processors that employ effective DRC, Streamers and preamplification will appear in the coming years.

For perspective it is worth remembering that about 30% of the factors influencing our judgement of sound quality relate to bass performance - and this is dominated by the room, only correctable in-situ. So, ANY loudspeaker can sound better after room EQ, so long as it competently addresses the bass frequencies - this is not a guarantee, but really is not difficult for at least the prime listener.

Above the transition frequency the M2 is sufficiently good that it should not require anything beyond broadband spectral tilts to fit with preferred program material.
DS-21, JonasHansen, Fitero and 2 others like this.
post #4776 of 4841 Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Hello

Could anyone please let me know how to install the M2 tunning files to my Crown DCI Network 800/6 amp ?

Also the last two channel will be used for my side surrounds which are 708i's.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate it guys

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
You need to connect the amp to a PC or laptop with Ethernet cable and load Audio Architect software which you connect to the amplifier and you can then load the tuning files. There are instructions in the amp manual but easier to follow the attached instructions which are contained in the tuning files Zip file found on JBL Pro website. https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/.../7-series/708i The audio architect software and tuning files (for both M2 and 708i) are both there. Note that the Zip file on the website contains V1.0 tuning files but when you connect the software to the amp V1.1 should be available. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Instructions for JBL LSR708i LSR705i M2 Crown DCi Tuning Files .pdf (167.7 KB, 7 views)

JVC DLA-N7 | Screen Research ClearPix 4K 130" 2.40 | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Crown DCi 8|300N | 7.2.4 JBL 708i(3)+705i(4); JBL Control 328C (Atmos); Subwoofer Syzygy SLF-870 x 2 | Ferco seating
post #4777 of 4841 Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

You have the ability to have a JBL engineer run ARCOS on your SDEC unit (or a pro calibrator to manually do room correction if you are using a BSS).

IMO that would provide all the correction you need.

My correction is done only below 350hz and then a shelf filter above to provide more roll-off than the natural response. That suits high spl movies better in my room.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #4778 of 4841 Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott KL View Post
You need to connect the amp to a PC or laptop with Ethernet cable and load Audio Architect software which you connect to the amplifier and you can then load the tuning files. There are instructions in the amp manual but easier to follow the attached instructions which are contained in the tuning files Zip file found on JBL Pro website. https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/.../7-series/708i The audio architect software and tuning files (for both M2 and 708i) are both there. Note that the Zip file on the website contains V1.0 tuning files but when you connect the software to the amp V1.1 should be available. Hope this helps.
Thanks Scott yes i know that i need to connect the amp to a laptop/pc with ethernet going to try it out tonight and follow the instructions, funny thing i just found the instructions on my PC that i downloaded more than a month ago, i guess i am just scared that this is going to be hard and just want to do it right from the first time.

Will see how it goes.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Crappy Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden Acoustic Foam Pro Acoustic
post #4779 of 4841 Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
You have the ability to have a JBL engineer run ARCOS on your SDEC unit (or a pro calibrator to manually do room correction if you are using a BSS).

Thank you. Yes, I have already sent my JBL calibrator a text requesting a visit once he returns from CEDIA. Luckily for me, his parents live nearby and I can have my simple system done quickly and more affordably on one of his visits to his folks.
JonasHansen and Rex Anderson like this.
post #4780 of 4841 Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 2229
So I was playing around with the M2s tonight since I have only had them for a couple of weeks. Just for fun I turned off both of my subs and ran them full range (well, with the 27hz filter in the tunning files). I was shocked at how much bass they were producing. Way more than my old JBL 4722 which have dual 15 inch drivers (but aren't designed to run full range..they drop off a ton below 40HZ). It literally sounded and felt like my subs were on but I checked the cone movement on both subs and neither was moving so it was just the M2s running.
post #4781 of 4841 Old 09-12-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3519 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
for music getting bass same as with subs is proud moment...but then the imaging and soundstage gets analyzed more...and then the awesome speakers suddenly get questioned on the sound of a triangle or imaging of a piano players fingers on the keys.
Scotth3886 likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #4782 of 4841 Old 09-12-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
So I was playing around with the M2s tonight since I have only had them for a couple of weeks. Just for fun I turned off both of my subs and ran them full range (well, with the 27hz filter in the tunning files). I was shocked at how much bass they were producing. Way more than my old JBL 4722 which have dual 15 inch drivers (but aren't designed to run full range..they drop off a ton below 40HZ). It literally sounded and felt like my subs were on but I checked the cone movement on both subs and neither was moving so it was just the M2s running.
AVSers in general wildly overstate how much bass capability is needed or even noticeable. I'm not surprised by your observations. An M2 owner should be able to EQ for room modes and have outstanding bass at one listening position. IMO the only reason for subs with such a loudspeaker is to reduce spatial variance. Or to do wiz-bang-BOOM! crap on movies.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #4783 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
. Or to do wiz-bang-BOOM! crap on movies.
I am all about that wiz-bang BOOM! But I do agree with Frolich, the 4722's shocked me at their lack of bass. To look at those monsters one would think they would bring down the house. They were probably the most anemic tower speaker that I ever owned from a bass standpoint. The M2 surpasses my old beasts at every level (to my ears at least). My dad came over the other day and I played one of his favorite Joe South CDs. He looked at me and said, "I cant hear the new speakers, I only hear the one behind the screen." I had him walk up to the screen and place his ear next to the fabric. The look on his face was priceless when he realized there was nothing playing back there.
shivaji, Gooddoc and Fitero like this.
post #4784 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I am all about that wiz-bang BOOM! But I do agree with Frolich, the 4722's shocked me at their lack of bass. To look at those monsters one would think they would bring down the house. They were probably the most anemic tower speaker that I ever owned from a bass standpoint. The M2 surpasses my old beasts at every level (to my ears at least). My dad came over the other day and I played one of his favorite Joe South CDs. He looked at me and said, "I cant hear the new speakers, I only hear the one behind the screen." I had him walk up to the screen and place his ear next to the fabric. The look on his face was priceless when he realized there was nothing playing back there.
That's the way all of this is supposed to work provide that the 'screen is not only room width, but wraps 180 degree around you and is about 100' deep 'on the right material'
post #4785 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
That's the way all of this is supposed to work provide that the 'screen is not only room width, but wraps 180 degree around you and is about 100' deep 'on the right material'
Agreed, but the M2 has imaged better than anything that I have had in my room. My dad has listened to my previous setups. My L/R is outside the screen, not behind it.
post #4786 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
Quote:
Agreed, but the M2 has imaged better than anything that I have had in my room. My dad has listened to my previous setups. My L/R is outside the screen, not behind it.
Right. Understood, but on well recorded classical, organ, even big band to some extent, the illusion should be pretty real that the stage can be 100 and some odd feet deep and envelopes you in the front half of the room from floor to ceiling and side wall to side wall with the occasional illusion that the soundstage extends beyond those side walls. With lights off in a totally dark room it should sound as if there's no relationship to the physical location of speakers. The speakers could be potted plants for all that matters. That's my goal and standard since 1947 and I'll do whatever it takes to get with my now limited budget.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #4787 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 3790 Post(s)
Liked: 3759
Quote:
Have you considered that perhaps it was your amplification/processing and not the speaker? The M2 and the 4722 will roll off around the same point, though a bit steeper on the 4722 for sure. The M2 boosts a bit below tune, but also adds a limiter for safety. Still, the 4722 will produce prodigious amounts of bass above 40hz. If you think the 4722 is anemic in that department, you were doing something wrong.

M2
post #4788 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Have you considered that perhaps it was your amplification/processing and not the speaker? The M2 and the 4722 will roll off around the same point, though a bit steeper on the 4722 for sure. The M2 boosts a bit below tune, but also adds a limiter for safety. Still, the 4722 will produce prodigious amounts of bass above 40hz. If you think the 4722 is anemic in that department, you were doing something wrong.

M2
Aren't you comparing in-room measurements to anechoic measurements? I know my M2's do not roll off at 40 Hz in-room. More like 20.

Edit: Reviewing measurements it's actually 25 Hz in-room

Last edited by Gooddoc; 09-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.
post #4789 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Aren't you comparing in-room measurements to anechoic measurements? I know my M2's do not roll off at 40 Hz in-room. More like 20.
Anechoic chambers still have LF gain. There's likely less LF gain in my room than in the chamber the M2 was measured in. The room/position the 4722 was measured in is actually down at 20hz.

The point was to show the knees of the speakers. Calling the 4722 anemic in the bass department is absurd. The M2 rolls off a couple hz lower, and more gradually due to the tuning. Not arguing that bit, just the rest of it. The M2 tunings have almost a 5db boost at 21hz, but I wouldn't expect that to exactly play loud or sound good as it's below the tune of the enclosure. At lower levels it may be acceptable.
Gooddoc likes this.

Last edited by notnyt; 09-13-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #4790 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Two users who have had both the 4722 and the M2 say the same thing about the bass and you come at me that it was my setup? With a passive crossover, what could I possibly hook up wrong? The 4722s during their residency at my house were paired with Arcam, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, and Denon receivers with four different room corrections, which all yielded the same overall results. The 4722 in direct mode fed to both an Outlaw and Emotiva amp didn't impress me in the bass deparment The M2 has much better low end in the same direct mode. I know you aren't a big M2 fan but I have had both in my room and much prefer the M2. If the M2 was over-hyped, I would be the first to say so. I have openly dogged out products I have owned. I have never been a "its the greatest because I own it" guy.
post #4791 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Two users who have had both the 4722 and the M2 say the same thing about the bass and you come at me that it was my setup? With a passive crossover, what could I possibly hook up wrong? The 4722s during their residency at my house were paired with Arcam, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, and Denon receivers with four different room corrections, which all yielded the same overall results. The 4722 in direct mode fed to both an Outlaw and Emotiva amp didn't impress me in the bass deparment The M2 has much better low end in the same direct mode. I know you aren't a big M2 fan but I have had both in my room and much prefer the M2. If the M2 was over-hyped, I would be the first to say so. I have openly dogged out products I have owned. I have never been a "its the greatest because I own it" guy.
*shrug* can't comment on what you did or how you configured things. Measurements may shed light on it if you have any. The M2 will extend a bit lower, not arguing that point, but they have a similar knee. The M2s are boosted below the tune of the enclosure to not fall off as fast, though. I have the 4722 LF sections hooked up to NC400s without boosting below tune and they will play loud enough bass to affect your vision. That's hardly anemic. It's not like I have some special speakers or don't know what bass sounds like :/
post #4792 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
*shrug* can't comment on what you did or how you configured things. Measurements may shed light on it if you have any. The M2 will extend a bit lower, not arguing that point, but they have a similar knee. The M2s are boosted below the tune of the enclosure to not fall off as fast, though. I have the 4722 LF sections hooked up to NC400s without boosting below tune and they will play loud enough bass to affect your vision. That's hardly anemic. It's not like I have some special speakers or don't know what bass sounds like :/
I never said they wouldn't play loud. Those things could cause ringing for days. They roll off very fast and there roll-off point misses a lot of lower end content in music. Frolic said the same thing, so I guess I have to *shrug* too. I am still a huge fan of the 4722 but I still found them lacking in direct mode with no subs with music. I don't have any graphs from my old setup anymore, but the M2 is in pretty much the same spot that the 4722 was so any room null should have the same effect on one as it does the other.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #4793 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I never said they wouldn't play loud. Those things could cause ringing for days. They roll off very fast and there roll-off point misses a lot of lower end content in music. Frolic said the same thing, so I guess I have to *shrug* too. I am still a huge fan of the 4722 but I still found them lacking in direct mode with no subs with music. I don't have any graphs from my old setup anymore, but the M2 is in pretty much the same spot that the 4722 was so any room null should have the same effect on one as it does the other.
You keep trying to compare these in direct mode, but you're ignoring the fact that there's still a huge boost to the M2 LF in the processing that doesn't go away when you turn on direct mode in your avr/pre. Target something similar with the 4722 and you won't be calling them anemic.

This is the shaping applied to the M2. Just a wee bit of boost there.

post #4794 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You keep trying to compare these in direct mode, but you're ignoring the fact that there's still a huge boost to the M2 LF in the processing that doesn't go away when you turn on direct mode in your avr/pre. Target something similar with the 4722 and you won't be calling them anemic.

This is the shaping applied to the M2. Just a wee bit of boost there.

I see what your talking about now. That makes sense.
notnyt likes this.
post #4795 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Anechoic chambers still have LF gain. There's likely less LF gain in my room than in the chamber the M2 was measured in. The room/position the 4722 was measured in is actually down at 20hz.

The point was to show the knees of the speakers. Calling the 4722 anemic in the bass department is absurd. The M2 rolls off a couple hz lower, and more gradually due to the tuning. Not arguing that bit, just the rest of it. The M2 tunings have almost a 5db boost at 21hz, but I wouldn't expect that to exactly play loud or sound good as it's below the tune of the enclosure. At lower levels it may be acceptable.
Whoa . . . Let's make a few things clear so that we are comparing apples with apples.

1. Anechoic chambers (all the ones I have ever used) were calibrated at low frequencies, using reference measurements on a 10 m tower or ground plane. There is no "room gain".

2. Most chambers are 4pi (total free field). The M2, being a studio monitor speaker was measured in a 4 pi calibrated chamber, as are (or should be) all studio monitor and domestic loudspeakers, as defined by ANSI/CTA 2034.

3. Cinema speakers are often mounted in screen baffle walls or against walls and JBL Pro has typically measured these in 2pi - anechoic half space, possibly on the flat roof test facility. This of course includes the boundary gain and shows a different bass response than that for the M2 which was measured in the calibrated 4 pi chamber.

3. The 4722 is a screen-channel cinema speaker. Its target performance is defined by SMPTE ST202: the X-curve. This requires a flattish steady-state room curve down to 50 Hz with rolloff below that. The LFE channel is expected to provide lower frequencies. What happens in a domestic room is, well, whatever happens.

4. The M2 was designed as a "full range" studio monitor speaker, with a wider target bandwidth and a wider dispersion - a different animal.

FYI here is the X curve. As discussed in Chapter 11 of the 3rd edition, it is not the right target.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure 11.1 X curve.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2614852  

Last edited by Floyd Toole; 09-13-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #4796 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Toole View Post
Whoa . . . Let's make a few things clear so that we are comparing apples with apples.

1. Anechoic chambers (all the ones I have ever used) were calibrated at low frequencies, using reference measurements on a 10 m tower or ground plane. There is no "room gain".

2. Most chambers are 4pi (total free field). The M2, being a studio monitor speaker was measured in a 4 pi calibrated chamber, as are (or should be) all studio monitor and domestic loudspeakers, as defined by ANSI/CTA 2034.

3. Cinema speakers are often mounted in screen baffle walls or against walls and JBL Pro has typically measured these in 2pi - anechoic half space, possibly on the flat roof test facility. This of course includes the boundary gain and shows a different bass response than that for the M2 which was measured in the calibrated 4 pi chamber.

3. The 4722 is a screen-channel cinema speaker. Its target performance is defined by SMPTE ST202: the X-curve. This requires a flattish steady-state room curve down to 50 Hz with rolloff below that. The LFE channel is expected to provide lower frequencies. What happens in a domestic room is, well, whatever happens.

4. The M2 was designed as a "full range" studio monitor speaker, with a wider target bandwidth and a wider dispersion - a different animal.

FYI here is the X curve:
The 4722 does not target the x-curve.

Point conceded on the chamber, there's gain, but corrected via calibration. Either way, the point was just to show where the lf knee of each was.

The 2PI vs 4PI target explains why the 'flat' measurements are not the same. The knee on the 4509 cabinet is around 40hz. It's not a whole lot lower on the M2 cabinet, but there's lots of boost in the processing to extend the response. Apply similar processing to the lf sections on each speaker for a more apples to apples comparison. With appropriate processing, there's no chance the bass from the 4739 can be considered anemic.
post #4797 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 5145 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
3. Cinema speakers are often mounted in screen baffle walls or against walls and JBL Pro has typically measured these in 2pi -
Speaking of cinema speakers, I am unaware of any, including subs, with appreciable power output below 20Hz, nor any measured commercial cinemas, nor dubbing stages/mixing rooms, which reproduce above [Fletcher-Munsen equal loudness] threshold output below 20Hz when playing a movie at reference level. My contention is in the rare instances there's loud <20Hz content in a movie it is either there by mistake or because a naive person not working with sound recordings but rather computer generated synthetic sounds was pleased by the flapping harmonic distortion their flat to only (say) 25Hz monitoring system exhibited from their inserted 10Hz tone they dialed in, which they never actually experienced cleanly at 10Hz like they thought they were. What say you?

Meanwhile for the vast majority of users loud infrasonic content objectionably saps amp power reserves and increases subwoofer cone excursion, hence added harmonic distortion in the audible band.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-14-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #4798 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The 4722 does not target the x-curve.

Point conceded on the chamber, there's gain, but corrected via calibration. Either way, the point was just to show where the lf knee of each was.

The 2PI vs 4PI target explains why the 'flat' measurements are not the same. The knee on the 4509 cabinet is around 40hz. It's not a whole lot lower on the M2 cabinet, but there's lots of boost in the processing to extend the response. Apply similar processing to the lf sections on each speaker for a more apples to apples comparison. With appropriate processing, there's no chance the bass from the 4739 can be considered anemic.
I said nothing about anemia. Multiple high-power 15-inch woofers can shatter glass in small rooms, especially if equalized.

Of course the x-curve is an in-cinema measured performance, but the power and bandwidth demands of this are considered in designing cinema loudspeakers. So, in a cinema the 4722 is expected to hit the x-curve at the reference distance and play at the reference sound level. That's all. This is aided by in-situ EQ, which often ends up corrupting the inherent good sound of the loudspeakers. Chapter 11 explains the present sad situation of cinema sound.

Currently, there is a problem in many cinemas, especially those not using speakers as durable as JBLs, because of the expanded dynamic range of digital soundtracks. Drivers are being blown, and customers offended by excessive sound levels. It is a major topic in current SMPTE standards work.
post #4799 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I said nothing about anemia. Multiple high-power 15-inch woofers can shatter glass in small rooms, especially if equalized.
That was the basis of the discussion, someone said the bass from the 4739 was anemic. I said it's likely due to processing. Silly discussion anyway, since I think everyone involved is crossing over to monster subs way above those frequencies for the most part.

Quote:
Of course the x-curve is an in-cinema measured performance, but the power and bandwidth demands of this are considered in designing cinema loudspeakers. So, in a cinema the 4722 is expected to hit the x-curve at the reference distance and play at the reference sound level. That's all. This is aided by in-situ EQ, which often ends up corrupting the inherent good sound of the loudspeakers. Chapter 11 explains the present sad situation of cinema sound.
I misunderstood this since I was reading too fast (in shop working on car). I thought you meant the response targeted the X-curve, not just meant the performance criteria, since JBL targeted the X-curve natively in a lot of speakers, though the 4722 response is flat.

Quote:
Currently, there is a problem in many cinemas, especially those not using speakers as durable as JBLs, because of the expanded dynamic range of digital soundtracks. Drivers are being blown, and customers offended by excessive sound levels. It is a major topic in current SMPTE standards work.
only getting worse lately too. So sad. Though I did just see IT chapter 2 in a Dolby cinema with some kind of mechanical transducers for the seating. I think they pulled back some of the bass from the other channels and tried to make up for it with that. Audibly there was less bass, but they were not integrated well (way too hot), but at least I wasn't hearing any blown speakers like normal. I would have liked a little more subwoofer output, and a little less transducer, but I don't think the subs they were using were adequate for the space.
post #4800 of 4841 Old 09-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Speaking of cinema speakers, I am unaware of any, including subs, with appreciable power output below 20Hz, nor any measured commercial cinemas, nor dubbing stages/mixing rooms, which reproduce above [Fletcher-Munsen equal loudness] threshold output below 20Hz when playing a movie at reference level. My contention is in the rare instances there's loud <20Hz content in a movie it is either there by mistake or because a naive person not working with sound recordings but rather computer generated synthetic sounds was pleased by the flapping harmonic distortion their flat to only (say) 25Hz monitoring system exhibited from their inserted 10Hz tone they dialed in, which they never actually experienced cleanly at 10Hz like they thought they were. What say you?

Meanwhile for the vast majority of users loud infrasonic content saps amp power and increases woofer cone excursion hence added harmonic distortion in the audible band.
We have mixers on AVS who will tell you their systems are quite capable below 20hz, and there have been interviews with fx creators who have said that the LF content they put there was intended. I think the last time I remember reading about that was for Wonder Woman?

I'm not saying this is the rule, perhaps it's even the exception, but it's not all there by accident. Often what is there is enjoyable either way, though.
Gooddoc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page