JBL 'M2' Master Reference Monitor - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2396Likes

post #4801 of 4924 Old 09-16-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
This is my initial M2/708 review, mainly about the M2's. i have only listened to these speakers for 30 mins or less only. btw no room correction done yet!

Pros:
-I don't know how to describe the sound other than saying they sound real and natural! it's not like anything i have heard before. it is a totally new experience.
-I am hearing A LOT of new details/sounds/effects with movies that i have watched before, now i feel like watching all my collection over again!
-I can easily see myself playing above reference without issues. as the sound is so much more enjoyable now.
-Even at low volumes like -30 you can still hear the dialogue and most of the details! forget about turning it up close to reference to be able to hear properly like before. (and this is without Dynamic EQ if you are using Audyssey)
-They don't sound like any horn speaker that you know, trust me as i don't like how horns sound, but these are velvety smooth. no harshness at all. to my ears at least.
-Love their pro/studio looks, but this is just me.
-If you are using a Crown amp like the DCI for example, you can access everything using Audio Architect (gain,eq,controls..etc) and you can also update the firmware of it in a minute.
-Audio Architect can be challenging at first but after an hour or so it's pretty straight forward and easy to use. <= wanted to put this as a Con but changed my mind!

Cons:
-M2's are Big and heavy, you need 2 people at least to move/carry these around.
-Best to keep them behind an AT screen if you want the three LCR tweeters to be at ear level.
-Proper amplification/setup is a must. these are not your regular bookshelf speakers with any amp combo.
-They take time to setup, and you will need help. especially for the amps. but at the end it's totally worth the effort.

and i removed the JBL grilles before installing my screen.

sorry for the low-res.

Will post some better ones in a few days.

And one more thing before i forget these are so good that even when i ran Audyssey XT32 for all the speakers they nearly sounded the same without it! so i feel not much correction was applied, which is amazing! i turned Audyssey off for now.

A big thank you for everyone that helped on the M2 Thread!
Frohlich, adidino, Gooddoc and 4 others like this.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden

Last edited by Balbolito; 09-16-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4924 Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Spoiler!
Nice and congrats!

Do let me know what you think of the 708i in terms of sound quality and SPL.
Balbolito likes this.
post #4803 of 4924 Old 09-17-2019, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Nice and congrats!

Thank you. will do in a few days once i listen to them more.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4804 of 4924 Old 09-17-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Nice and congrats!

Hi Kain - I know at one point you were trying to figure out how the Seaton Catalyst and M2 compared. Did you ever get any good answers?

Selling in AVS classifieds
FS: McIntosh MX-160 Processor
post #4805 of 4924 Old 09-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

After a little bit of more M2 listening today, i love them more today than i did yesterday!

Played a few movies with decent sound like Fury,Coco & Alita. i can tell you that the DCI amps are more than i ever need in terms of clean power/output. even at reference they have lots of power in the tank.

My two DCI amps are in my room without issues (they are about 17ft away from me in a corner custom av cabinet) , but what maybe helps with lowering their fan noise even more is that my room is treated well. at around -27 volume on my marantz i can't even hear them, even my AC and PJ are louder!

quick question for M2 owners, i am thinking about running Audyssey using the app to calibrate my front 7 speakers up to 500hz for starters (3x M2's and 4x 708i's) also will turn midrange compensation off. how about my six ceiling atmos speakers should i do the same or run correction full range for them? any other recommendations for my LCR/surrounds?

Wanted a base to start from then i could save more calibrations/settings to load later on.

Also is there a way to lower the gain in audio architect for one channel in my DCI amp rather than going to the rear of the amp to do that? as when i initially ran audyssey (now its off) it set my right front speaker at -12 level .

Thanks
adidino likes this.

Last edited by Balbolito; 09-18-2019 at 02:23 AM.
post #4806 of 4924 Old 09-17-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
After a little bit of more M2 listening today, i love them more today than i did yesterday!

Played a few movies with decent sound like Fury,Coco & Alita. i can tell you that the DCI amps are more than i ever need in terms of clean power/output. even at reference they have lots of power in the tank.

My two DCI amps are in my room without issues (they are about 17ft away from me in a corner custom av cabinet) , but what maybe helps with lowering their fan noise even more is that my room is treated well. at around -27=5 volume on my marantz i can't even hear them, even my AC and PJ are louder!

quick question for M2 owners, i am thinking about running Audyssey using the app to calibrate my front 7 speakers up to 500hz for starters (3x M2's and 4x 708i's) also will turn midrange compensation off. how about my six ceiling atmos speakers should i do the same or run correction full range for them? any other recommendations for my LCR/surrounds?

Wanted a base to start from then i could save more calibrations/settings to load later on.

Also is there a way to lower the gain in audio architect for one channel in my DCI amp rather than going to the rear of the amp to do that? as when i initially ran audyssey (now its off) it set my right front speaker at -12 level .

Thanks
Just an FYI but Audyssey can't go below -12. So it likely would have tried to go lower but it can't because +-12 are its limits. What does that mean? That your fronts are probably playing louder than they should in relation to rest of the speakers but Audyssey couldn't bring it down any more. If you play with the gain and set it lower on the amp and re-run audyssey, you want a scenario where all your speakers are between +- 12. That way audyssey can equalize the volume on all channels to be at the same SPL. Hope that makes sense.
post #4807 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Any of you guys know where I can audition M2 in Portland metro area? Called a few local pro shops and they told me these are special order only.
post #4808 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Just an FYI but Audyssey can't go below -12. So it likely would have tried to go lower but it can't because +-12 are its limits. What does that mean? That your fronts are probably playing louder than they should in relation to rest of the speakers but Audyssey couldn't bring it down any more. If you play with the gain and set it lower on the amp and re-run audyssey, you want a scenario where all your speakers are between +- 12. That way audyssey can equalize the volume on all channels to be at the same SPL. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for your reply, yes i know thats why i asked if gain could be lowered from Audio Architect, if it can't no big deal i can do it from the back of the amp.

Audyssey set my front left and center at -10.5 which is fine.

post #4809 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Thanks
Regarding Audyssey: Yes, definately don't calibrate above 500hz on the M2s. I don't know if Audyssey allows this, but I would do M2s to 300-500hz and then do all surrounds fullrange and have the target curve shaped similar to the M2 response.
Personally I think the M2s are a little too hot in the HF for movies, so I would make a gentle shelf filter in the DCI's amps so they roll-off more than their natural response.

You should use the gain knobs on the amp to set the correct level of the M2 instead of lowering the signal digitally in the DCi amps.. This will optimize the gain structure.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #4810 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Regarding Audyssey: Yes, definately don't calibrate above 500hz on the M2s. I don't know if Audyssey allows this, but I would do M2s to 300-500hz and then do all surrounds fullrange and have the target curve shaped similar to the M2 response.
Personally I think the M2s are a little too hot in the HF for movies, so I would make a gentle shelf filter in the DCI's amps so they roll-off more than their natural response.

You should use the gain knobs on the amp to set the correct level of the M2 instead of lowering the signal digitally in the DCi amps.. This will optimize the gain structure.
Thanks Jonas, yes will try that today and see, how can i shape the target curve similar to the M2's response? sorry but this is kind of new to me.

and because my M2's are behind an AT screen (it already adds all the HF rolloff that i think need). here is what it does to my speakers from Screen Innovations website.

So my HF is already 2-5db lower than without the screen.

Even when i was close to reference my M2's had zero signs of harshness or listening fatigue in the HF range. it was like the louder they got the clearer and cleaner they played. i am even reaching more for the volume knob and turning it way past what i used to listen to. never thought this was possible.

Will use the gain knobs no issues, it will only take a minute or so

Regards

post #4811 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
Any of you guys know where I can audition M2 in Portland metro area? Called a few local pro shops and they told me these are special order only.
Can't help with your question sorry, but i can tell you that i bought my whole setup (in my sig) without even listening to them, just based on reviews, a few low res youtube videos and advice. stupid of me? yes , and they do cost a lot for several reasons and they they are not super easy to install, but let me tell you one thing it's the best decision i have ever done in my life when it comes to HT gear. i can now go to bed at night not thinking in the back of my head what if i got these or those, i know i got the ultimate HT speaker. honestly nothing even compares to them, and i have listened to lots of brands and speakers in the past, some were(owned more than half of them too):

-Jamo THX one (90's)
-Jamo D7
-Jamo D600
-Atlantic 170
-Atlantic 4400
-Atlantic 8200e
-Several models from Boston Acoustics
-Several different Deftech towers with built in subs
-Several different Klipsch reference towers
-Old Klipsch THX (90's)
-Old Technics THX (90's)
-Paradigm monitors
-Paradigm studios
-Paradigm signature
-Paradigm cinema series
-Lots of crappy Bose

Sorry for the long boring list but just wanted to say the M2's are by far superior to all of the above. they are not even close.

post #4812 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Thanks Jonas, yes will try that today and see, how can i shape the target curve similar to the M2's response? sorry but this is kind of new to me.

and because my M2's are behind an AT screen (it already adds all the HF rolloff that i think need). here is what it does to my speakers from Screen Innovations website.

So my HF is already 2-5db lower than without the screen.

Even when i was close to reference my M2's had zero signs of harshness or listening fatigue in the HF range. it was like the louder they got the clearer and cleaner they played. i am even reaching more for the volume knob and turning it way past what i used to listen to. never thought this was possible.

Will use the gain knobs no issues, it will only take a minute or so

Regards
I have had the same experience. In my previous room with the JBL 4722, -10 on the volume knob seemed loud. Now -10 doesn't seem loud at all and I am defaulting my pre/pro to turn on at -8. I can now listen at reference and it seems normal...on my old system reference felt and sounded too loud for my liking. Not sure its because the M2 are so smooth and clean or something else. Weird.
Balbolito and Molon_Labe like this.
post #4813 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 328 Post(s)
Quoted: 3848 Post(s)
Liked: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I have had the same experience. In my previous room with the JBL 4722, -10 on the volume knob seemed loud. Now -10 doesn't seem loud at all and I am defaulting my pre/pro to turn on at -8. I can now listen at reference and it seems normal...on my old system reference felt and sounded too loud for my liking. Not sure its because the M2 are so smooth and clean or something else. Weird.
run an spl meter at your listening position and have your pre or avr output the 75dbspl test tone, see how it compares. sounds like something wasn't calibrated right, because reference is loud
JonasHansen and Reddig like this.
post #4814 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
run an spl meter at your listening position and have your pre or avr output the 75dbspl test tone, see how it compares. sounds like something wasn't calibrated right, because reference is loud
I agree. Reference is really loud. The M2's handle it well with low distortion... But it does not change the fact that it is very loud and for most people it will be too loud (including myself).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

post #4815 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can't help with your question sorry, but i can tell you that i bought my whole setup (in my sig) without even listening to them, just based on reviews, a few low res youtube videos and advice. stupid of me? yes , and they do cost a lot for several reasons and they they are not super easy to install, but let me tell you one thing it's the best decision i have ever done in my life when it comes to HT gear. i can now go to bed at night not thinking in the back of my head what if i got these or those, i know i got the ultimate HT speaker. honestly nothing even compares to them, and i have listened to lots of brands and speakers in the past, some were(owned more than half of them too):

-Jamo THX one (90's)
-Jamo D7
-Jamo D600
-Atlantic 170
-Atlantic 4400
-Atlantic 8200e
-Several models from Boston Acoustics
-Several different Deftech towers with built in subs
-Several different Klipsch reference towers
-Old Klipsch THX (90's)
-Old Technics THX (90's)
-Paradigm monitors
-Paradigm studios
-Paradigm signature
-Paradigm cinema series
-Lots of crappy Bose

Sorry for the long boring list but just wanted to say the M2's are by far superior to all of the above. they are not even close.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Much appreciated. My concern is majority of folks on this forums are HT-centric. This is mostly based on the comments and pictures posted. I have a 2 channel dedicated room that has been acoustically treated (no plans on integrating M2 into HT). I prefer to drive my speakers full range with 2 subs in the near field (PB-13Ultra). Most pictures I have seen showing M2 sitting against the wall next to subwoofers behind the screen. I don't believe one could obtain any imaging from 2 channel setup with speakers against the wall. I must say I do not like the ascetics of M2 and hiding them behind the screen seems like the right thing to do. Though I am very interested in this high performance speakers. My stereo setup is built around passive speakers. I find it very confusing figuring out what is needed to make M2's work. Crown amps (pro with noisy cooling fans?), JBL processor... It looks like a complete rebuilt. I will no longer need my power amps/preamp/DAC... Perhaps there is a source where one can look at all possible configurations with M2? It is not that I am unhappy with the sound of my existing setup it is the curiosity that tells me to audition them.
post #4816 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
I find it very confusing figuring out what is needed to make M2's work. Crown amps (pro with noisy cooling fans?), JBL processor... It looks like a complete rebuilt. I will no longer need my power amps/preamp/DAC... Perhaps there is a source where one can look at all possible configurations with M2?
The "simple" solution is to install the the appropriate London BSS processor (BLU-160? several options depending on what else you want it to do) between your pre-amp and 4 channels of your favorite amplification. You could be a rebel and try some tubes on top.
post #4817 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4201
Quote:
I don't believe one could obtain any imaging from 2 channel setup with speakers against the wall.
Not trying to dismissive or snarky, but you have never had speakers with this type of directivity and off-axis response. Getting the speaker as close to the front wall will help alleviate boundry interference. The wave-guide and engineering takes care of the rest. Trust me, the M2 makes for an incredible 2 channel listening experience.
Gooddoc and Balbolito like this.
post #4818 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Much appreciated. My concern is majority of folks on this forums are HT-centric. This is mostly based on the comments and pictures posted. I have a 2 channel dedicated room that has been acoustically treated (no plans on integrating M2 into HT). I prefer to drive my speakers full range with 2 subs in the near field (PB-13Ultra). Most pictures I have seen showing M2 sitting against the wall next to subwoofers behind the screen. I don't believe one could obtain any imaging from 2 channel setup with speakers against the wall. I must say I do not like the ascetics of M2 and hiding them behind the screen seems like the right thing to do. Though I am very interested in this high performance speakers. My stereo setup is built around passive speakers. I find it very confusing figuring out what is needed to make M2's work. Crown amps (pro with noisy cooling fans?), JBL processor... It looks like a complete rebuilt. I will no longer need my power amps/preamp/DAC... Perhaps there is a source where one can look at all possible configurations with M2? It is not that I am unhappy with the sound of my existing setup it is the curiosity that tells me to audition them.
My priority is music, not HT. My system is dual use, but HT gets a small fraction of the 2-channel system listening time. The M2's are an outstanding speaker by any measure IMO. Most that have migrated to M2's on these forums are coming from speakers considered to be excellent in their own right, so there is a good basis for comparison for most.

I am very familiar with the "curiosity" to listen to other speakers when "happy" with current speakers. For me, that was always the early sign that I wasn't as happy as I thought with my current speakers, I just wasn't quite ready to admit it. I bought the M2's 5 years ago and I haven't had the curiosity since.
DS-21 likes this.
post #4819 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Not trying to dismissive or snarky, but you have never had speakers with this type of directivity and off-axis response. Getting the speaker as close to the front wall will help alleviate boundry interference. The wave-guide and engineering takes care of the rest. Trust me, the M2 makes for an incredible 2 channel listening experience.
With this approach why not to make them in-wall speakers (2pi)? The speakers I have been using have great directivity and off-axis response. When I bought them I didn't know about the importance of those parameters like I do now, but empirically I made a good choice. Though M2 could be better. I didn't compare graphs side by side.
I get that M2 with DSP allow a lot of room correction while taking the advantage of room gain though I never heard in-wall speaker setup with decent imaging. Note that I am not saying it is not technically possible but rather stating my personal experience.
post #4820 of 4924 Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
My priority is music, not HT. My system is dual use, but HT gets a small fraction of the 2-channel system listening time. The M2's are an outstanding speaker by any measure IMO. Most that have migrated to M2's on these forums are coming from speakers considered to be excellent in their own right, so there is a good basis for comparison for most.

I am very familiar with the "curiosity" to listen to other speakers when "happy" with current speakers. For me, that was always the early sign that I wasn't as happy as I thought with my current speakers, I just wasn't quite ready to admit it. I bought the M2's 5 years ago and I haven't had the curiosity since.
I haven't had curiosity since 2003 when I changed speakers in my 2 channel setup. Though last December I picked a DIY speakers, these are large boxes (165L) and utilize Yamaha NS1000M midrange and tweeter drivers. I bought them out of curiosity and only care about the drivers. They were sitting in my garage for some time and I found myself going there too often to experiment with them. Something clicked and I ended up carrying them in my 2 channel setup (second story) where I was able to connect them to better electronics. Since then I have been listening to them 95% of the time. Without going much into detail they are quite forgiving of the recording quality and allow me to relax and enjoy the music. The type enjoyment I was experiencing when I was a child listening real-to-real tapes. Very natural balance without any hyper details. Think of close up image of person on 4k TV without makeup. Lot's of skin details you do no see in the real life but they are apparent on TV. Kind of like what some audiophiles are all about. These speakers simply offer comfortable sound I can listen to non-stop without analyzing the music. Not 3 demo audiophile recordings, but just about anything I throw at them. I demoed these speakers to some friends and they didn't find them as interesting. Though switching to my main speakers didn't bring the improvement they were hoping for. So you are probably right about my curiosity hinting me I should try something new. I thought of building new cabinets, having midrange and tweeter in separate cabinet/cabinets, adding "super tweeter" (yamaha's tweeter dies off at ~15.5kHz) and replacing woofer with something else (it is not Yamaha woofer that is used in these speakers). There are several things I miss in these DIY. They do not image the same. When I listen to my main speakers I am like inside acoustic sphere where you have depth and hight of the soundstage. It is hard to explain. Most people that never experienced that start to look around for other speakers and asking me where I have hidden them. Obviously this effect is there only with some recordings. Other things that I miss is laser sharp focus, power handling without feel of strain...

Thank you for sharing your 2ch experience. It is sad that it is so hard to get a demo of the speakers that were designed with the science to back it up. I can find all kinds of exotic makes from around the world that likely never been inside anechoic chamber, yet JBL M2s are not available (at least I wasn't able to find them yet).
Gooddoc likes this.

Last edited by tpaxadpom; 09-18-2019 at 08:53 PM.
post #4821 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Hi Kain - I know at one point you were trying to figure out how the Seaton Catalyst and M2 compared. Did you ever get any good answers?
Hi,

I did receive quite a bit of input on this topic. I also talked to some people who went from the Catalyst 12C to the M2. This is not a knock on the Catalyst 12C but everyone said going to the M2 was a massive upgrade. One person received his 708i speakers while waiting to receive his M2s and did a quick comparison between the Catalyst 12C and the 708i. He said the tonal accuracy was much better with the 708i and also that the 708i sounds huge (bigger than the Catalyst 12C which is a physically much bigger speaker). I think it has to do with the dispersion characteristics. However, Mark did update the coaxial driver on his speakers for a more spacious sound so I am not sure how they sound now. Overall, I would say the M2 is a better speaker than the Catalyst 12C.
post #4822 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
you are more than welcome

Honestly at first it looks confusing but isn't that hard to figure out how to make M2's work.

Here is a shortcut, you have a few options:

-Use a Soundweb London BSS processor, several models to choose from and several people use them here in the M2 thread so help and support are always available. With this option you can use your amps and processor so no need to change anything there.
-Get a Crown DCI amp 2/600n for each M2 (you can get amazing deals online for those) and just download Audio Architect on your windows PC/laptop and install the M2 tunning files on the amp through the app. or you can get a 8/600n DCI to power your LCR's and even a pair of surrounds. like what i am doing. you could even step up to the DCI 2/1250 or 4/1250 if you need all that power. depends on room and application of course.
-Get a Crown I-tech amp like the 4x3500 for a pair of M2's or the I-tech 5000HD for each M2. but put on mind the I-techs are more expensive than the DCI's.

A few notes:

I am currently using the DCI amp and it's in my main listening room, didn't install them in another room, they are on the right side of my AT screen in a cabinet. they are not as loud as most people say they are. if they are at 13-14ft from you then you will be fine, when i play movies at around -25 or even -28 on my processor their fan noise completely disappears. even my little current PJ is louder. Regarding the I-techs i didn't honestly hear them but everybody who has them say they are are really loud when it comes to their fans and should be placed in another room and are noisier than the DCI's. btw for both amps in their owners manual it clearly states that they should be kept in a separate room, but with the DCI's i can confirm you could get away with them in your same room.

From what i know the I-Techs do provide more power and also makes connecting your pro/av receiver easier since it accepts XLR cables directly. with the DCI you have to either cut the XLR cable at the amp's end to connect it or do what i did and get a Phoenix to XLR connector for each speaker (like 5-6$ each).

Also if you go for any of the above 3 options, you don't need a JBL processor. Just put on mind that each M2 needs 2 channels of amplification, one for LF and one for HF.

Btw M2's are amazing speakers for music, even if you decide on a 2-channel M2 setup you won't be disappointed.
Hope that helps.
tpaxadpom likes this.

Last edited by Balbolito; 09-19-2019 at 02:34 AM.
post #4823 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

I have the MacroTechs (Same as iTech but without DSP) and can confirm that their fan noise is ridiculously loud. I would not recommend them if they are placed in the same room as the speakers.
tpaxadpom likes this.

post #4824 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have the MacroTechs (Same as iTech but without DSP) and can confirm that their fan noise is ridiculously loud. I would not recommend them if they are placed in the same room as the speakers.
Hiding the amps won't be easy. My wife`s walk in closet is behind the wall and real esatate there is more expansive than Manhattan... London bss will add ad/da conversion and adding second pair of modified parasound jc1 amps won't be easy. Seems like crown amps would be much more cost effective solution but what to do with the fans. I have heard they are running constantly and likely cannot be cheated to reduce rpm.
post #4825 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hiding the amps won't be easy. My wife`s walk in closet is behind the wall and real esatate there is more expansive than Manhattan... London bss will add ad/da conversion and adding second pair of modified parasound jc1 amps won't be easy. Seems like crown amps would be much more cost effective solution but what to do with the fans. I have heard they are running constantly and likely cannot be cheated to reduce rpm.
Crown amps will add AD/DA conversion as well. DSP is just inside the amp.

The easiest way to get a fanless M2 setup is BSS (BLU-50 or BLU160 with disconnected fans) and amps of your choice.

post #4826 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5669 Post(s)
Liked: 5533
Quote:

Audyssey's way of going about all that is definitely much different than Dirac's...but, it all can be done. The target curve you'd have to manually match up for each set of speakers so that part wouldn't be that accurate, and definitely not near as accurate as the way Dirac implements that option, but hey, at least it can be "Sort of" done now.

Quote:
If the complexity of the M2 and concerns over amps and dsp is too much for you, just get the 4367's That's what I did, and haven't looked back since. I too use my HT for more music than movies and I am consistently thrilled with the performance of the 4367's.
tpaxadpom likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #4827 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 531
BA, what are you using as a center?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #4828 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5669 Post(s)
Liked: 5533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
BA, what are you using as a center?
Same thing. Take a look at avatar pic, but with the subs all back behind the mains now and the mains on slightly taller stands.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #4829 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 328 Post(s)
Quoted: 3848 Post(s)
Liked: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Audyssey's way of going about all that is definitely much different than Dirac's...but, it all can be done. The target curve you'd have to manually match up for each set of speakers so that part wouldn't be that accurate, and definitely not near as accurate as the way Dirac implements that option, but hey, at least it can be "Sort of" done now.

If the complexity of the M2 and concerns over amps and dsp is too much for you, just get the 4367's That's what I did, and haven't looked back since. I too use my HT for more music than movies and I am consistently thrilled with the performance of the 4367's.
4637 is awesome, like the coverage pattern of it better than the M2. I'd like it better if it had 2x 15s
beastaudio likes this.
post #4830 of 4924 Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Crown amps will add AD/DA conversion as well. DSP is just inside the amp.

The easiest way to get a fanless M2 setup is BSS (BLU-50 or BLU160 with disconnected fans) and amps of your choice.

Crown has digital input (AES/EBU) why would it need AD/DA stage?
Thank you for recommendations. I started reading about BSS stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page