JBL 'M2' Master Reference Monitor - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2396Likes

post #1831 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post
This is a little weird, but Cake does a take on war pigs.
My favorite cover of War Pigs is Faith No More from The Real Thing. Helps that Mike Patton has one of the most versatile voices in all of rock (highest range ever).

I actually didn't find the software that hard to figure out if it hadn't been for one very important step missing from the instruction. Had that been in there it would have been a 20 min job tops. I also was lazy and wanted to ready made cables, but was easy enough to change the connectors if you started with the other phoenix cables.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.

Last edited by AudioJosh; 12-30-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
My favorite cover of War Pigs is Faith No More from The Real Thing. Helps that Mike Patton has one of the most versatile voices in all of rock (highest range ever).

I actually didn't find the software that hard to figure out if it handed been for one very important step missing from the instruction. Had that been in there it would have been a 20 min job tops. I also was lazy and wanted to ready made cables, but was easy enough to change the connectors if you started with the other pheonix cables.
Thanks man, I'll take a listen. War Pigs on the M2's is just epic IMO. Homerun.

How are the M2's working out? Haven't really heard much from you.
SciFiJunkie likes this.
post #1833 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've had some demos of them and one demo of them vs. the Danley's by the guy who bought the Danley's from me (that was dangerous). That demo was the day before I left on holiday vacation. Just got back but have a nasty sinus infection, so haven't followed up. One thing that I determined during that demo was my L&R were reversed. Guess I wasn't careful enough when running the long cables.

Anyway, so far my acoustics are holding me back at the moment. I haven't run ARC, just playing straight program material. I have a midbass suckout at the LP. One thing is clear *pun* is that the M2 is super revealing, ruthlessly so without the midbass to warm it up a bit. The Danley buy said I made a worthy upgrade (he was buying them for his studio). M2s have more upper end bite/detail, sound clearer overall but it isn't a night/day thing.

I just need to fix my midbass issue(s). Haven't measured yet, haven't had a chance to experiment much more. My simple experiment implies I have ceiling/floor mode right in front of the LP. 8' means it likely is around 70hz and maybe the 140hz harmonic. So I have a idea of what I need to do.
Gooddoc likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Received a late Christmas present today. This should be a good read

post #1835 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I think I would measure to see if he does have any problems first, but that's just me. Especially in a new room.
post #1836 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

I'd also run ARC up to 500 and quit letting the room dictate bass response. I didn't even bother running the processor without calibration, but I have turned it off a couple times. Sounds worse.
post #1837 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3643 Post(s)
Liked: 2078
I havent seen a rew graph of any expensive speakers??? anyone care to share one of m2's?

here is mine:

i only can get to 120db spl at 80% mv in a 30x50 room, but anything louder vibrates stuff around too much.

amazes me on some 100k+ home theaters no1 shows a rew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fronts.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1861593  

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #1838 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I havent seen a rew graph of any expensive speakers??? anyone care to share one of m2's?

here is mine:

i only can get to 120db spl at 80% mv in a 30x50 room, but anything louder vibrates stuff around too much.

amazes me on some 100k+ home theaters no1 shows a rew
I haven't taken REW measurements in a while, but I have my ARC measurements up in the 7 series topic.

I haven't had REW out much since I've calibrated my subs.
post #1839 of 4924 Old 12-29-2016, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Received a late Christmas present today. This should be a good read

I bought a couple copies to circulate in my local audio club. It's unfortunate how few people have actually read this outstanding book.
post #1840 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't run ARC yet because I am still fiddling with my setup and I was awaiting my surrounds which just came (well minus one 708) a moment ago.

post #1841 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Wow, what an amazing career! Thanks for sharing that Ted.

How are those M2's treating you? Ready to sell them yet?

And have you finished setting up the rest of the system yet? (The sevens?) Curious your thoughts on how they integrate.
Hi Mark!

Over my dead body! I think they're absolutely amazing, been spending many hours over the last two months, listening trying to learn all about them, and their behaviors under different conditions and placements. They are simply ridiculous when properly placed in a professional control room environment. I've had several Grammy level recording engineers hear them in here and nearly cry (one actually did). Its so right its just stupid. At this point I have them placed, along with the seating position in such a way that no EQ is needed. The idea is too keep this all in place moving forward, building the HT room around these results. But as you know, any change whatsoever in the room moving forward will change the outcome. And of course the 170" w AT screen will certainly affect the current results, kinda like putting a "bull in china closet". But hopefully with the prudent design approach in place for the LCR's, keeping the original room in place and building around it, we can work through the anticipated degradation. I'll have a lot of leeway to move the M2's around to mitigate, and hopefully negate potential issues. I sure wish I didn't have to put a screen in front of them! Cause at this point it doesn't get any better than this. But such is the life of compromises when melding high-end audio and video...

Fran Manzella, ("FM Design", the guy who designed my studio) Curt, and I are just about finished with the plan. And you were right! After further quite extensive evaluations, it will indeed be mostly all 7- Series beyond the M2 LCR's (31- total drivers in the room using all 32- chnls of the SDP-75). It will be a complex and tedious install. And the tuning will take a while, but Curt says he will embrace it. Hopefully we'll be up and running in a few months.

I would encourage and invite anyone near Oklahoma (or not), who might be interested in hearing the M2's at their best, or on the fence trying to make a decision about such, to come visit very soon. This current setup is truly a life changing and "ear opening" experience. As one of the recent major Nashville recording engineers put it, "I don't think anyone has ever heard these mixes sound like this anywhere".

Much more later...

Thanks!
Ted.
post #1842 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Also, any of you gents that have M2's need to go get this record. It is amazing and will tell you a lot about your whole setup top to bottom. Crank Track #8. If you're setup is right, it will blow your mind. You'll be giddy after you pick yourself up off the floor The rest of the record will help isolate any problem areas you have. This record was extremely will executed at all levels. Its truly a "diamond in the rough".

"Rippington's- Black Diamond"

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond.../dp/B000000NNK
John Schuermann likes this.
post #1843 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted C View Post
I would encourage and invite anyone near Oklahoma (or not), who might be interested in hearing the M2's at their best,
I sure would like to check out your setup. I am 30 min north of Dallas, so not too far a drive for me.
post #1844 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
Quote:
Hi Mark!

Over my dead body! I think they're absolutely amazing, been spending many hours over the last two months, listening trying to learn all about them, and their behaviors under different conditions and placements. They are simply ridiculous when properly placed in a professional control room environment. I've had several Grammy level recording engineers hear them in here and nearly cry (one actually did). Its so right its just stupid. At this point I have them placed, along with the seating position in such a way that no EQ is needed. The idea is too keep this all in place moving forward, building the HT room around these results. But as you know, any change whatsoever in the room moving forward will change the outcome. And of course the 170" w AT screen will certainly affect the current results, kinda like putting a "bull in china closet". But hopefully with the prudent design approach in place for the LCR's, keeping the original room in place and building around it, we can work through the anticipated degradation. I'll have a lot of leeway to move the M2's around to mitigate, and hopefully negate potential issues. I sure wish I didn't have to put a screen in front of them! Cause at this point it doesn't get any better than this. But such is the life of compromises when melding high-end audio and video...

Fran Manzella, ("FM Design", the guy who designed my studio) Curt, and I are just about finished with the plan. And you were right! After further quite extensive evaluations, it will indeed be mostly all 7- Series beyond the M2 LCR's (31- total drivers in the room using all 32- chnls of the SDP-75). It will be a complex and tedious install. And the tuning will take a while, but Curt says he will embrace it. Hopefully we'll be up and running in a few months.

I would encourage and invite anyone near Oklahoma (or not), who might be interested in hearing the M2's at their best, or on the fence trying to make a decision about such, to come visit very soon. This current setup is truly a life changing and "ear opening" experience. As one of the recent major Nashville recording engineers put it, "I don't think anyone has ever heard these mixes sound like this anywhere".

Much more later...

Thanks!
Ted.
Ted's been taunting me with his system for months now - I gotta make the visit! A full 32 channel ATMOS config using M2s and 708s. Amazing.

Ted - OK if I cross-post this to the Synthesis or 708 thread? Or would you like to do it yourself? It's great to have your pro sound experience and opinions joining the chorus.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
post #1845 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Ted - OK if I cross-post this to the Synthesis or 708 thread? Or would you like to do it yourself? It's great to have your pro sound experience and opinions joining the chorus.
A build thread would be a real treat on this install.
AudioJosh and John Schuermann like this.
post #1846 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 230
@Ted C

Sounds like the M2s sound pretty good. Nice to see you're adding a few channels and a modest sized screen for a theater set up....

HOLY EFFIN S*** 32 channels of M2/7 series atmos goodness, all dialed in and calibrated to perfection. How big is your room? After all your experimentation with positioning and placement, what did you find was the best result for your room? If you care to share details on your room and set up, obviously.
post #1847 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post

I actually didn't find the software that hard to figure out if it handed been for one very important step missing from the instruction. Had that been in there it would have been a 20 min job tops. I also was lazy and wanted to ready made cables, but was easy enough to change the connectors if you started with the other pheonix cables.
I'll have to check out that cover.

What step was it that was holding you up?
post #1848 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It was a simple oversite, but basically when I loaded the M2 files for the DCi amps it wasn't saving it to a profile in the amp unless I named it. By working a hacker's mentality and the help of John Schuermann we found the fix ourselves. I told John that he might tell JBL to amend their documentation to include that.

post #1849 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Ted's been taunting me with his system for months now - I gotta make the visit! A full 32 channel ATMOS config using M2s and 708s. Amazing.

Thanks John! Go for it.
post #1850 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
@Ted C

Sounds like the M2s sound pretty good. Nice to see you're adding a few channels and a modest sized screen for a theater set up....

HOLY EFFIN S*** 32 channels of M2/7 series atmos goodness, all dialed in and calibrated to perfection. How big is your room? After all your experimentation with positioning and placement, what did you find was the best result for your room? If you care to share details on your room and set up, obviously.
I'll share more later when I have time to post, dealing with family holiday stuff right now. The room is 26.6" x 20.3 x 9" od. We're trying to leave as much of the original control room intact since it has a great symmetrical design, wonderful treatment, and extensive real bass trapping in all the corners. I'll post more as we move along. Right now everything is just two channel. You can go see the room at www.upstairsproductions.com Click on the "equipment" tab to see the rear of the room. Clicking on any of the pics to make them bigger. Thanks!
post #1851 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
A build thread would be a real treat on this install.
Hey there!

Of course you can come up. Call me next week and we'll figure it out. I wish I'd have come to your room when we were all down there, but time got away. I'll likely do a build thread of some sorts once we figure it out.
thxman likes this.
post #1852 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Yes you and Brad need to come down and hear these in 2- channel mode before I change it all.

After listening for many hours and both amps, I feel comfortable saying the 4600 sounds better than the 8300 on the M2's. its not just a power issue. The midrange voicing of the 4600 really brings out the full potential of the D2 driver. I had a bridged 8300 driving them for about a month, then switched over to 2- bridged 4600's, 1200w x 2 per side. They are really "phase locked" now. Its truly startling. I've had some very serious monitoring in my day, but this is something one step beyond... Of course it helps not having a 16' wide, "boundary interfering", recording console in the way! And yes with 2400w per side, they will flat get loud too.
post #1853 of 4924 Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mark!

Over my dead body! I think they're absolutely amazing, been spending many hours over the last two months, listening trying to learn all about them, and their behaviors under different conditions and placements. They are simply ridiculous when properly placed in a professional control room environment. I've had several Grammy level recording engineers hear them in here and nearly cry (one actually did). Its so right its just stupid.
This really says it all. A million words can't really characterize the M2 better than that. It's just "right"

Quote:
Also, any of you gents that have M2's need to go get this record. It is amazing and will tell you a lot about your whole setup top to bottom. Crank Track #8. If you're setup is right, it will blow your mind. You'll be giddy after you pick yourself up off the floor The rest of the record will help isolate any problem areas you have. This record was extremely will executed at all levels. Its truly a "diamond in the rough".

"Rippington's- Black Diamond"

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond.../dp/B000000NNK
That is an excellent recording and sounds very good in my room, but I have room issues without a doubt. I know it and hear it. I have heard the M2's in better rooms than mine and I know they are not at their full potential. But I can hear through much of my room issues at this point, although that doesn't make it a good thing, lol.

I really, really would like to hear the M2's in a great room like yours and I will have that for my M2's in the not too distant future.

Quote:
Yes you and Brad need to come down and hear these in 2- channel mode before I change it all.

After listening for many hours and both amps, I feel comfortable saying the 4600 sounds better than the 8300 on the M2's. its not just a power issue. The midrange voicing of the 4600 really brings out the full potential of the D2 driver. I had a bridged 8300 driving them for about a month, then switched over to 2- bridged 4600's, 1200w x 2 per side. They are really "phase locked" now. Its truly startling. I've had some very serious monitoring in my day, but this is something one step beyond... Of course it helps not having a 16' wide, "boundary interfering", recording console in the way! And yes with 2400w per side, they will flat get loud too.
I would be curious as to how the I-Tech 5000HD's would sound compared to the DCi's. It is said to have a better integration of the DSP hardware.

Anyhow, I am very glad to read you are very happy with them Ted. We had quite extensive discussions on the M2's and 7 series, which I greatly enjoyed BTW! But I am always nervous to give my opinion and descriptions of a speaker that might sway someone's decision to move forward with a purchase. I would have felt terrible if you reported back that they sucked, or were even medoicre. I did talk them up quite a bit as I recall, lol! But all truth as I heard it.

I really need a break and Oklahoma is not so far as I recall. And there has to be some skiing around there, no? So close to Colorado as I recall. Anyway, I'll PM you about all that.

Edit:
Quote:
And you were right! After further quite extensive evaluations, it will indeed be mostly all 7- Series beyond the M2 LCR's (31- total drivers in the room using all 32- chnls of the SDP-75)
If I recall you were at a 7 speaker base layer last we talked..... And yeah, figured I would quote the part where you say I was right, haha!

Last edited by Gooddoc; 12-30-2016 at 07:56 PM.
post #1854 of 4924 Old 12-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

So, I finally have Dolby Atmos
John Schuermann and Gooddoc like this.
post #1855 of 4924 Old 12-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Lol. And nothing to watch in atmos
post #1856 of 4924 Old 01-01-2017, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 534
TEDC you big thread teaser you!

Great meeting you at CEDIA.

I'd love to come out. Can we schedule a game to see with the OKC Thunder? Maybe Westbrooke would want your business card. I will give it to him if you bail me out of jail.

Then over dinner we can walk down memory lane again about Stanley, Fred and others at DTS.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #1857 of 4924 Old 01-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Yes indeed Sounds like a plan. Happy New Year!
post #1858 of 4924 Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin_N View Post
So, I finally have Dolby Atmos
What are you using for surrounds?
post #1859 of 4924 Old 01-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

708 surround left and right. No surround backs. 4 705's as heights.

I wish the Anthem would set the distances like Denon did so I could be sure they were right. And to a greater precision.

Oh well. Just watched Gravity. Pretty good, but my panning isn't perfect by any means.
post #1860 of 4924 Old 01-01-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin_N View Post
708 surround left and right. No surround backs. 4 705's as heights.

I wish the Anthem would set the distances like Denon did so I could be sure they were right. And to a greater precision.

Oh well. Just watched Gravity. Pretty good, but my panning isn't perfect by any means.
Hmmm. Sounds very familiar. We have the same system, haha.
AudioJosh and Jsin_N like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page