JBL 'M2' Master Reference Monitor - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2395Likes

post #1951 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganduy View Post
After adjusting listening position and sub location utilizing REW, I finally have the JBL Sub18 blended with the M2s to my satisfaction. I gave it the acid test, playing Dark Side of the Moon SACD, and it was the most amazing sound I have ever heard from a stereo system. In addition to providing palpable base, the sub appears to allow the two 15" drivers in the M2s to breath and express their full dynamic range capability. Breathtaking.

Oddly enough, the room measures about the same with or without the four 8 foot 18" bass tube traps. I will leave the lateral first reflections alone rather than mess them up with treatment, but have several ceiling first reflection treatment options under consideration. So, other than cautiously experimenting with a little bit of acoustical treatment, I have finally reached audio Nirvana.

Thank you, Harman.
Very nice, what frequency did you end up crossing the M2's over to the subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganduy View Post
After adjusting listening position and sub location utilizing REW, I finally have the JBL Sub18 blended with the M2s to my satisfaction. I gave it the acid test, playing Dark Side of the Moon SACD, and it was the most amazing sound I have ever heard from a stereo system. In addition to providing palpable base, the sub appears to allow the two 15" drivers in the M2s to breath and express their full dynamic range capability. Breathtaking.

Oddly enough, the room measures about the same with or without the four 8 foot 18" bass tube traps. I will leave the lateral first reflections alone rather than mess them up with treatment, but have several ceiling first reflection treatment options under consideration. So, other than cautiously experimenting with a little bit of acoustical treatment, I have finally reached audio Nirvana.

Thank you, Harman.
After spending about $3k in bass traps from GIK and consulting with them, I also noticed no improvement in measurement in bass in my previous room and I'm not talking just the <80hz, but in the upper region as well.

I may try diffusion at some point, but I think traps are pretty useless for bass. You're better off using four subs and using good seating and speaker positioning.

Thanks for measuring. I was always curious if the Tube traps were worth the huge cost.
John Schuermann likes this.
post #1953 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
That's what I told my wife when I got the M2's and she said that is what I told her the last two times I bought speakers. Haha. I told her those were learning experiences, I know better now .
HAHA! Mine said that exact same thing. I was like, "but, these are pretty much top of the class, there's no going anywhere from here." She's like, "isn't that what you said about the other ones?"

In the end, she said that I was going to buy them anyway, so I may as well. So, I did.

Ugh! I HATE YOU GUYS !

Thanks Cats for three years of awesome service! I loved every minute of it. My new journey to audio heaven should begin in a week or so.

Mark, you wanna come over and help me set 'em all up, lol?
Gooddoc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
HAHA! Mine said that exact same thing. I was like, "but, these are pretty much top of the class, there's no going anywhere from here." She's like, "isn't that what you said about the other ones?"

In the end, she said that I was going to buy them anyway, so I may as well. So, I did.

Ugh! I HATE YOU GUYS !

Thanks Cats for three years of awesome service! I loved every minute of it. My new journey to audio heaven should begin in a week or so.

I hate you all to lol. I'm the straggler over here.
post #1955 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:

Ugh! I HATE YOU GUYS !

That may be the fewest number of posts from "No flippin' way!" to "They're shipping my way!", haha!

Of course I'll come over. It just so happens that I started doing some work down by you in Somers Point. There's a few items you'll need to order to hook them up, and then the issue of where you're putting the fans....er, I mean the amps .
post #1956 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I got a 3rd M2 coming my way... You might have noticed a classified here go silent.
John Schuermann, Gooddoc and DS-21 like this.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #1957 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I got a 3rd M2 coming my way... You might have noticed a classified here go silent.
Ha! was that the ad that the guy never responded to me?
post #1958 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably, I was too quick! But to be fair, I have an AT screen.

post #1959 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
Probably, I was too quick! But to be fair, I have an AT screen.
Ha!, yes you were. I would have just put it in storage, lol.
post #1960 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That may be the fewest number of posts from "No flippin' way!" to "They're shipping my way!", haha!

Of course I'll come over. It just so happens that I started doing some work down by you in Somers Point. There's a few items you'll need to order to hook them up, and then the issue of where you're putting the fans....er, I mean the amps .
Well, I don't think I was ever in the "no flippin' way" camp. I was in the "I don't know if I want to spend the money" camp. Y'all twisted my arm so bad I couldn't help it, lol.

Yeah, I think I can reuse a lot of what I have -- RCA -> XLR and I can buy speaker wire anywhere. The fans are concerning to me, they'll be at the very front of my room for now, eventually I hope to push them into the basement but I'll need to pull some wires through for that...got the holes to do it, just need the patience, lol.

I'll ping you when I know when they'll be here! I'll be sick that day, I'm sure, haha!
post #1961 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I don't think I was ever in the "no flippin' way" camp. I was in the "I don't know if I want to spend the money" camp. Y'all twisted my arm so bad I couldn't help it, lol.

Yeah, I think I can reuse a lot of what I have -- RCA -> XLR and I can buy speaker wire anywhere. The fans are concerning to me, they'll be at the very front of my room for now, eventually I hope to push them into the basement but I'll need to pull some wires through for that...got the holes to do it, just need the patience, lol.

I'll ping you when I know when they'll be here! I'll be sick that day, I'm sure, haha!
Given your current gear, my guess is that you don't have speakon connectors. You'll need those.
DreamWarrior likes this.
post #1962 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Ha!, yes you were. I would have just put it in storage, lol.
I almost bought it off lansing heritage to do the same thing. I'm glad I didn't. I know I wouldn't have been able to keep it in storage and I'd have probably went to a 40" TV just to have the M2 center lol
Gooddoc likes this.
post #1963 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Given your current gear, my guess is that you don't have speakon connectors. You'll need those.
It looked like the amp had bare wire connectors, too....and the speakers are bare wire, right?
post #1964 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looked like the amp had bare wire connectors, too....and the speakers are bare wire, right?
Yes, you could use them. i just always use speakons when they're available. It's such a better way to do it. One and done. No chance of mixing up wires in the future so long as you pay attention the first time.

Ask @AudioJosh about that .
post #1965 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you could use them. i just always use speakons when they're available. It's such a better way to do it. One and done. No chance of mixing up wires in the future so long as you pay attention the first time.

Ask @AudioJosh about that .
Well, I'll need wire labels on at least the speaker end, so...not the end of the world to put them on both, haha. We'll see, I'll call my guy on Monday and see if he can toss some in.

I wonder, has anyone bothered to replace the bare wire mounting plate on the M2 with a Speakon? That'd make everything really easy, and significantly less chance of yanking wires out.
post #1966 of 4920 Old 01-27-2017, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

True
post #1967 of 4920 Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Very nice, what frequency did you end up crossing the M2's over to the subs?
Presets for 3 Crown I-Tech 5000 provided by JBL set crossover at 80hz.
post #1968 of 4920 Old 01-28-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The DCIn amps don't use speakons, I wished they did. I also wished they used XLR instead of the phoenix connectors. Oh well, once you set it up it isn't a big deal, but still.
John Schuermann and Jsin_N like this.

post #1969 of 4920 Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speakons are great and nothing wrong at all with using them, but they're usually designed for pro audio applications where you're gonna be setting the sound system up and breaking it down much more often than you would be in a home environment. In your home, it's usually a "set it and forget it" thing so speakons aren't really necessary. They certainly don't hurt if that's what you want to use.
post #1970 of 4920 Old 01-29-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
For anyone interested, I have three pair of LSR 705i speakers for sale, one NIB...

Link in my sig...thanks
post #1971 of 4920 Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
For anyone interested, I have three pair of LSR 705i speakers for sale, one NIB...

Link in my sig...thanks
Ok, what are you up to now? .
post #1972 of 4920 Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, what are you up to now? .
Well, as we get older we tend to get larger...so to do aspects of a maturing home theater....708's on top....
Gooddoc likes this.
post #1973 of 4920 Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, as we get older we tend to get larger...so to do aspects of a maturing home theater....708's on top....
Your theater will be entirely effortless. Very nice.
post #1974 of 4920 Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5657 Post(s)
Liked: 5515
Quote:
Well, I'll need wire labels on at least the speaker end, so...not the end of the world to put them on both, haha. We'll see, I'll call my guy on Monday and see if he can toss some in.

I wonder, has anyone bothered to replace the bare wire mounting plate on the M2 with a Speakon? That'd make everything really easy, and significantly less chance of yanking wires out.
I bucked the speakons for quite some time but as soon as I actually went and bought one (Always use the nl4's, the two pole ones are crap), I was an immediate convert. They really are just so nice when you are needed to plug or unplug the speakers.
biga6761 likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1975 of 4920 Old 01-31-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I bucked the speakons for quite some time but as soon as I actually went and bought one (Always use the nl4's, the two pole ones are crap), I was an immediate convert. They really are just so nice when you are needed to plug or unplug the speakers.
Yeah, probably true, but hopefully I don't have to disconnect the amplifier ends very often. Either way, eventually I'll probably use speak-on there, too. But, for now, bare wire will do.

To be honest, though, I'm more worried about the speaker ends because my daughter could crawl behind them and pull the wires out. This would be more difficult if there were speak-on connectors on the speaker itself.

My end goal is to put the amps in the basement and speak-on wall-plates near the speakers (but unfortunately I seem to only find them in aluminum...so I may just buy white blanks and hole-cut them). But, still, that doesn't help the easily pulled bare wire ends on the speaker itself. Which is why I was hopeful I could easily replace the speaker terminals with speak-ons, too. Maybe it's an easy mod...?
post #1976 of 4920 Old 01-31-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

708's up....still need to clean up wiring and miscellaneous things...

post #1977 of 4920 Old 01-31-2017, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
708's up....still need to clean up wiring and miscellaneous things...
Nice! So...how's it sound?
post #1978 of 4920 Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice! So...how's it sound?
All I could do was change tuning file preset - no crossover, level or distance settings updated yet. Even so it is clearly more dynamic and the blend with the M2's is much more cohesive

(Relative) Weakest link is the SCL in-wall rear setup, but one thing at a time...
post #1979 of 4920 Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All I could do was change tuning file preset - no crossover, level or distance settings updated yet. Even so it is clearly more dynamic and the blend with the M2's is much more cohesive

(Relative) Weakest link is the SCL in-wall rear setup, but one thing at a time...
I thought the SCL in walls were on par with the 708's?
post #1980 of 4920 Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I thought the SCL in walls were on par with the 708's?
Me too....
Blackdevil77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page