Acoustat MK-121-2A? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Clearing out my dad's spare room for storage and we found a pair of Acoustat MK-121-2A that had apparently been sitting there for about 3-4 years. What exactly have I found here?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looks like you've got a pair of 2+2s. They are a damn good speaker. The MK-121-2A is the transformer designation. Have you tried to listen to them?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM

If you didn't already know, they are full range electrostatic speakers.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMovieNut View Post

Looks like you've got a pair of 2+2s. They are a damn good speaker. The MK-121-2A is the transformer designation. Have you tried to listen to them?

No sir, I simply cleaned up the outside for the pics. I'm a lighting programmer, spent too much of the 80s and 90s too close to the stage and lost a good bit of hearing because of it frown.gif
I appreciate your input, is there any further data you can point me towards? As you've mentioned, the 121-A mark hasn't gotten me too far and my current system works fine for me atm. I've spoken with my father and we'll be splitting them 75/25 if I can sell them. Considering my truck needs a new transmission, that's the current plan

Thanks in advance smile.gif

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 AM

You first need to check to see if they are in working order. Is there other equipment in the spare room that could drive these speakers? If not get a hold of a friend with a receiver. Hook the receiver up to the speaker terminals first and then plug the 2+2s into an outlet. Pick out an FM station and make sure they will play cleanly without distortion. When your done, unplug the speakers from the outlet while they are being driven by the receiver to discharge them more quickly.

Advertise them as Acoustat 2+2s with MK-121-2A transformers (non-medallion). If they are in working order you should be able to get between $500 and $700 for them depending on condition, though it very likely will take a while. The pool of prospective buyers for these speakers is small, especially given their size. But don't take my word for it. Post a question on the "Acoustat Speakers" forum. You should be able to get a response from MrAcoustat who is the authoritative source of information for all things Acoustat on these forums.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Will do, thanks again for the assistance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page