Micca Reference series speakers price drop on Amazon - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just installed a Micca M-8C and Monoprice 4104 next to each other in the ceiling to decide which to buy for the rest of the house (WHA system). I have to say the Micca wins hands down!

After unboxing, the monoprice looked like it would be better with a heavier magnet and beefier looking circuitry. I first auditioned them in cardboard boxes (Thanks for the idea scttq) and then later on the ceiling, fully installed. The miccas sound much more flat while the monoprice seemed to be missing the mid-range completely. They both have enough bass and treble for their intended purpose.

Notes on cardboard boxes: The bass did not exhibit itself as much in the cardboard as it did in the ceiling. I tried a couple different boxes and the box size and shape mattered more than which speaker I was using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 05-05-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLC View Post
I just installed a Micca M-8C and Monoprice 4104 next to each other in the ceiling to decide which to buy for the rest of the house (WHA system). I have to say the Micca wins hands down!

After unboxing, the monoprice looked like it would be better with a heavier magnet and beefier looking circuitry. I first auditioned them in cardboard boxes (Thanks for the idea scttq) and then later on the ceiling, fully installed. The miccas sound much more flat while the monoprice seemed to be missing the mid-range completely. They both have enough bass and treble for their intended purpose.

Notes on cardboard boxes: The bass did not exhibit itself as much in the cardboard as it did in the ceiling. I tried a couple different boxes and the box size and shape mattered more than which speaker I was using.
I recently did exactly the same thing for my 5.2.2 Atmos application. My intent was to use inexpensive speakers to experiment with Atmos and these speakers surprisingly acquit themselves very well for the effects they are responsible for. Many folks on these threads are searching for the best, brand name, top of the line speakers for Atmos but the fact is...there is not enough data or source material yet to determine what is "best." When the votes and information are available, these inexpensive ($40) speakers can easily be replaced without regret. BTW....the Micca R-8C at $80 is an even better speaker but unfortunately temporarily out of stock at Amazon.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #33 of 74 Old 05-05-2015, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
the Micca R-8C at $80 is an even better speaker but unfortunately temporarily out of stock at Amazon.
I'm sure it is. I'll end up buying at least 16 of these so didn't want to double my price. The 4104 after shipping is roughly the same price as the M-8C ($40/speaker). For WHA I didn't care to go better. These already rattle the light fixtures and sound very clear and balanced. I don't need to rattle the fixtures more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 05-05-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLC View Post
I'm sure it is. I'll end up buying at least 16 of these so didn't want to double my price. The 4104 after shipping is roughly the same price as the M-8C ($40/speaker). For WHA I didn't care to go better. These already rattle the light fixtures and sound very clear and balanced. I don't need to rattle the fixtures more!
WOW....16, you did say WHA! I have 4 for my Atmos application but currently utilizing only 2 as limited by my current 5.2.2 AVR. As I mentioned, I have an R-8C backordered from Amazon. Two curious things though: (1) When I ordered back in mid-March, they were $50ea...now the site says $80ea. and (2) to my knowledge, they haven't had stock for many months...so availability is uncertain. I've looked for alternate Micca vendors but Amazon seems to be their sole distribution channel.

At any rate, I'm very pleased with the performance of the M-8C. For my Atmos application, overall FR, dispersion angle, and power handling have so far been non-issues. At this point, I have no reason to invest in pricier speakers. Should future source material make much greater demands, I can reconsider at that time.

BTW: I did follow the installation recommendation and installed blanket insulation in the joist cavity a foot or so in each direction from each speaker. Although I had no noticeable rattles, this did reduce sound transmissions to adjoining areas.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 05-06-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
post #35 of 74 Old 05-06-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
For our new house I'm debating speakercraft versus the micca. The miccas in my current house sound good but I think in the new house I'll need more than just tweeter aim ability.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Basement System:
Panasonic P55UT50
Denon 1913
Micca 8" Center/Front/Rear
BIC F12 Sub
post #36 of 74 Old 05-13-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scttq View Post
After living with the reference line for about a year I am still extremely happy with the sound for our Sonos whole house audio setup. The thing that bugs me a bit about them is that visually they stick out a bit since the edge doesn't go totally flush to the ceiling. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a pair of 6.5" rather than 8 in the master bedroom, it's a bit overkill.

As for the other speaker options, I stand by my original mini review, Micca 8" was my favorite and 8" Monopricee was my least favorite. Honesty, for background whole house audio use, I think they would all work fine. I know lots of folks are very happy with the Monoprice speakers and same with the Polks. Once you turn up the volume a bit, I found the Micca Reference line really set itself apart from the rest.
scttq, I very much appreciate all of the info you provided throughout this thread. I'm looking at purchasing in-ceiling speakers now for my whole house system. I'm also interested in a Sonos system and am curious if you'd share how you're setup?

Also, how would I know if a 6.5" or 8" would sound better for my situation throughout the house? I'm installing in open areas. Thanks
post #37 of 74 Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromitch37 View Post
scttq, I very much appreciate all of the info you provided throughout this thread. I'm looking at purchasing in-ceiling speakers now for my whole house system. I'm also interested in a Sonos system and am curious if you'd share how you're setup?

Also, how would I know if a 6.5" or 8" would sound better for my situation throughout the house? I'm installing in open areas. Thanks
Also, can't seem to find the reference series anywhere? Are these discontinued? Looks like the media series is readily available.
post #38 of 74 Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I would be interested in that too - I am thinking of using 4 of the Micca M-8Cs (since I can't find the reference line) with a Sonos connect:amp in an open space about 24' x 24'. The other rooms I'm going to be using Sonos Play3s or 5s. But if anyone has ideas of what speakers would be better with the connect:amp I'd love to hear it. I'm also thinking of an in-wall sub powered by an AudioSource AMP-100 (the connect:amp has a sub out).
post #39 of 74 Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Hi, sorry for the late response, haven't been on the forums in a while.

I never got my Sonos layout properly documented on paper but it consists of :
  • 3x Connect Amp, centrally located
    • Master bedroom and bath on A/B A+B speaker switch
      • This allows for less wire to be run
      • I can listen in the shower with higher volumes without blasting the bedroom
      • I used a 6.5" dual voice coil in the bath - OSD MK690TT (design look familiar?)
      • I used a pair of R-8C speakers in the master ceiling, visually they are a bit overpowering
      • I have line out from the master TV going to the Connect Amp line in input
    • Outside I have 2 Niles PS6SI - one on front porch one on back deck
      • I made a breakout box for each so I can turn them independently on and off
    • Kitchen and Dining Room on A/B A+B speaker switch
      • Each has a pair of R-8C
      • Speakers work great here, this area gets the most use
  • 1x Connect attached to living room "theater"
  • Several stand alone Sonos players throughout other bedrooms
For open/common areas I think the 8" speakers are a good fit. Our eat in kitchen is ~2020cuft and a pair of R-8Cs off a Connect Amp work great for WHA purposes.

I didn't do any subs in the WHA setup but I will group in the "theater" to add bass if cranking up the volume... the family isn't a fan of this :-)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by scttq; 05-22-2015 at 07:44 AM. Reason: update
post #40 of 74 Old 01-04-2016, 08:50 PM

I've been doing some research and came across this thread. I'm also interested in the micca reference line and could not find them anywhere. I wrote them an email last night and here was their response from today:

"The R-8C will be back in stock in a couple of months. Please check Amazon towards the end of February and it should be available for purchase"
yanks1 likes this.
post #41 of 74 Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
WOW....16, you did say WHA! I have 4 for my Atmos application but currently utilizing only 2 as limited by my current 5.2.2 AVR. As I mentioned, I have an R-8C backordered from Amazon. Two curious things though: (1) When I ordered back in mid-March, they were $50ea...now the site says $80ea. and (2) to my knowledge, they haven't had stock for many months...so availability is uncertain. I've looked for alternate Micca vendors but Amazon seems to be their sole distribution channel.

At any rate, I'm very pleased with the performance of the M-8C. For my Atmos application, overall FR, dispersion angle, and power handling have so far been non-issues. At this point, I have no reason to invest in pricier speakers. Should future source material make much greater demands, I can reconsider at that time.

BTW: I did follow the installation recommendation and installed blanket insulation in the joist cavity a foot or so in each direction from each speaker. Although I had no noticeable rattles, this did reduce sound transmissions to adjoining areas.
Hi gene4ht,

I am now planning to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.4 and was looking for good in-ceiling speakers for Atmos setup. You have been using them for quite some time. Do you still recommend the M-8C? The R-8C is unavailble on Amazon and not shown on the manufacturer website though.

Any alternative suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

post #42 of 74 Old 02-15-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmak View Post
Hi gene4ht,

I am now planning to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.4 and was looking for good in-ceiling speakers for Atmos setup. You have been using them for quite some time. Do you still recommend the M-8C? The R-8C is unavailble on Amazon and not shown on the manufacturer website though.

Any alternative suggestions are welcomed. Thanks
I installed and have been using the the M-8C's for eleven months now without reservation. My original intent was to experiment with inexpensive speakers to understand Atmos needs/requirements and if necessary replace them with more upscale/capable speakers. To date, after 11 months and hundreds of both Atmos and non Atmos (DSU) movies, I find no reason to replace them. I did also attempt to try the more expensive reference series R-8C's but they were never in stock. I'm still happy with the M-8C's as they continue to perform well for Atmos duty in my theater.
showmak and NittanyDoug like this.

post #43 of 74 Old 02-18-2016, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I installed and have been using the the M-8C's for eleven months now without reservation. My original intent was to experiment with inexpensive speakers to understand Atmos needs/requirements and if necessary replace them with more upscale/capable speakers. To date, after 11 months and hundreds of both Atmos and non Atmos (DSU) movies, I find no reason to replace them. I did also attempt to try the more expensive reference series R-8C's but they were never in stock. I'm still happy with the M-8C's as they continue to perform well for Atmos duty in my theater.
Thanks @gene4ht for your input.

post #44 of 74 Old 02-18-2016, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttq View Post
Some pictures from my informal testing.

I tried the Micca R-8C, Micca M-8C, Monoprice 4104, Polk RC80i and Polk TC80i. The TC80i was more for reference as it is in a different price category.

The cardboard boxes were a bit less than 3cu/ft and they did make a difference in testing. The sound in the boxes was reasonably close to what I got after putting them in ceiling. To my ears, the R-8C had a great sound, I much preferred it over the RC80i and Monoprice 4104.

Let me know how you like them!
Since you tried both the R-8C and M-8C, which one do you recommend for .4 Atmos setup? R-8C is out of stock, I contacted the company and they informed it will be available somewhere in March. Is worth it waiting for the R-8C?

post #45 of 74 Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmak View Post
Thanks @gene4ht for your input.
You're welcome...good luck in your search. Regardless of your speaker choice, you'll enjoy the added dimension and immersion that Atmos brings!
yanks1 likes this.

post #46 of 74 Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I've been waiting for the Micca R-8C but I've run out of patience. Just placed an order for a bunch of the M-8C to outfit my entire basement. 4 of them will to go the theater for Atmos duty in my 7.2.4 setup. Based on the reviews on Amazon as well as what I read here the M-8C's will fit the bill just fine.
post #47 of 74 Old 03-24-2016, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmixx View Post
I've been waiting for the Micca R-8C but I've run out of patience. Just placed an order for a bunch of the M-8C to outfit my entire basement. 4 of them will to go the theater for Atmos duty in my 7.2.4 setup. Based on the reviews on Amazon as well as what I read here the M-8C's will fit the bill just fine.
Micca R-8C is back in stock on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-R-8C-Ref...=AFKH6OU9WWNFS

post #48 of 74 Old 03-24-2016, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thank you showmak . was looking for Roof speakers .
post #49 of 74 Old 03-24-2016, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I have the Micca R-8C's on order for exactly that...Atmos testing...but don't know how long they will be back ordered???
I have the Micca 8" in-walls and their center channel speaker for my 7.2 setup and remainder are polk RC65i's for sides and rears..but for the price, you cannot find a better deal!

post #50 of 74 Old 03-24-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmak View Post
Micca R-8C is back in stock on Amazon
Unfortunately, so much time has passed that I purchased six M-8C's. It's been about a year now and the M-8C's are more than capable for Atmos duty and have far exceeded my expectations...performance belies its price. For those who have not yet committed, the R-8C's are reported by reviewers to be even more capable...would not hurt to try them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsvball View Post
I have the Micca 8" in-walls and their center channel speaker for my 7.2 setup and remainder are polk RC65i's for sides and rears..but for the price, you cannot find a better deal!
IMO, the MICCA's are a very capable speaker for Atmos and other surround duties. There are those who will suggest that because of how or where they're made, do not have a high end brand name, don't cost $200-$500 each, or have not been reviewed by experts and connoisseurs that they incapable of good performance. Sometimes products just outperform these beliefs...let your ears be the judge.
Alex solomon likes this.

Last edited by gene4ht; 03-24-2016 at 11:29 AM.
post #51 of 74 Old 04-04-2016, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There are other posts that mention that Micca's are made by OSD or visversa. The web site to the OSD reseller has more ceiling/in-wall speakers models than listed on Amazon or Micca web site. OSD has more of the "reference" level models of both and also have 15 degree angled ceiling speakers. Micca only has the Reference level for Ceiling speakers and none for in-wall and no angled model ceilings. Both have aimable tweeters. The OSD reseller has free shippinig, 30day money back, 10 yr warranty and tech support.
Mfg OSD http://www.osdaudio.com/index.html

Example 8" Poly woofer. .
OSD, "Outdoorspeakerdeport.com pair $100 ICE840
Amazon $49.95 X 2 = $100 M-8C

Upgrade to 8" Kevlar. Reference level for Micca. MK series for OSD. Looks to be higher level than Micca
Reseller OSD "Outdoorspeakerdepot.com (pair $199.95) MK850
Amazon 2 X $59.95 = $120 Miccas R-8C

I'm leaning towards the Kevlar woofer, but Micca doesn't hve an In-wall Kevlar version. OSD does.
OSD -MK-850 $200 pair.

Thoughts on OSD models? Is Kevlar better than Poly? Home Theater use in medium size room 13 x 16 x 8. I need 2 ceiling speakers for TM placement and 2 in-wall for side surrounds. I have Infinity Interludes for L-R, IL40, C IL36, and IL120 sub. Denon X2200 AVR.
post #52 of 74 Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM

I had the Micca's in the basement of my last house. I went with all 8" and the matching center channel. So 2 8" walls and 2 8" in ceiling. I thought they counted great. These were the regular m version.

New house I used the Kevlar osd speakers in all 8" plus the matching Kevlar center channel and I have 2 for zone 2 that are the dual coil Kevlar in the ceiling of my nook/kitchen.

I think they both sound great. I'm powering them with the same denon 1913. I had over 7 months from one house to the next so it isn't an exact comparison and the rooms are much different. I wanted to be able to aim more than just the tweeter. I wanted to go with the AIM'S but my budget prevented that. I think they both sound good. I'm not an audiophile or have crazy gear that monitors distortion. I think the Kevlar adds some longevity.

So for what it's worth, I like the Kevlar osd speakers but wouldn't shy away from the Micca if budget constrained you.

yanks1 likes this.

Basement System:
Panasonic P55UT50
Denon 1913
BIC F12 Sub
post #53 of 74 Old 04-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Thank you for responding NittanyDoug. I haven't decided yet on direction. My LR mains have 6.5" woofers, so I don't know if I should go with 6.5" OSD/Miccas or move up to 8". I like that the OSD MK series are heavier, but one person posted that he thought their dispersion was less than the Poly Miccas. It could be that 8" will have better dispersion than 6.5" OSD does have 8" in-ceiling 15 deg speaker for $130 ea, but out of stock. Not sure if they are worth it.
post #54 of 74 Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsowens View Post
Thank you for responding NittanyDoug. I haven't decided yet on direction. My LR mains have 6.5" woofers, so I don't know if I should go with 6.5" OSD/Miccas or move up to 8". I like that the OSD MK series are heavier, but one person posted that he thought their dispersion was less than the Poly Miccas. It could be that 8" will have better dispersion than 6.5" OSD does have 8" in-ceiling 15 deg speaker for $130 ea, but out of stock. Not sure if they are worth it.
I did the tilted osd ceiling speakers as surrounds in the back. My ceiling is a tray ceiling and I wanted to have some inward direction toward the seating area.

The osd people are pretty decent to talk through what you are looking to achieve. Their speakers are heavy. I was a little disappointed in the light beige or off white color because they were supposed to be white. I planned to paint but fortunately the wife said she didn't mind them once they were installed.

Basement System:
Panasonic P55UT50
Denon 1913
BIC F12 Sub
post #55 of 74 Old 04-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyDoug View Post
I did the tilted osd ceiling speakers as surrounds in the back. My ceiling is a tray ceiling and I wanted to have some inward direction toward the seating area.

The osd people are pretty decent to talk through what you are looking to achieve. Their speakers are heavy. I was a little disappointed in the light beige or off white color because they were supposed to be white. I planned to paint but fortunately the wife said she didn't mind them once they were installed.
What OSD model(s) did you get? How was the dispersion for them? One reviewer thought it was poor for the Micca R straight down model.
post #56 of 74 Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm building out a basement. Theater area is 13W x 27L x 8.5H three sided area. I'm looking to go 5.2.4 atmos with a Pioneer VSX-1130 AVR with Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.2 setup. I am just buying time for the 5.2.4 AVR and DTS X to come down in price in a year or two. So for the time being I'll have a 5.2.2 setup. The Pioneer SP-PK52FS speakers range from 80 watts in the center channel to 125 watts in the front towers.

My question is for the Atmos speakers do I go with the Micca M-8C or R-8C series or move down to the Micca M-6C. Is the 8's overkill?

Or would other suggest going with a all Micca speaker setup with Dayton Audio SUB-1200? And is so what front towers are people suggesting? Obviously I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy.... I was really set on the Pioneer Andrew Jones budget setup before I started researching Atmos in ceiling speakers.
post #57 of 74 Old 04-28-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtech View Post
I'm building out a basement. Theater area is 13W x 27L x 8.5H three sided area. I'm looking to go 5.2.4 atmos with a Pioneer VSX-1130 AVR with Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.2 setup. I am just buying time for the 5.2.4 AVR and DTS X to come down in price in a year or two. So for the time being I'll have a 5.2.2 setup. The Pioneer SP-PK52FS speakers range from 80 watts in the center channel to 125 watts in the front towers.

My question is for the Atmos speakers do I go with the Micca M-8C or R-8C series or move down to the Micca M-6C. Is the 8's overkill?

Or would other suggest going with a all Micca speaker setup with Dayton Audio SUB-1200? And is so what front towers are people suggesting? Obviously I'm a bang for the buck kind of guy.... I was really set on the Pioneer Andrew Jones budget setup before I started researching Atmos in ceiling speakers.
Consider the OSD speakers. See posts above. I decided to go with the 8" MK850. They weigh about 5 lbs each. I'm told they are heavier than Micca's. 10 year warranty. Great support. At the time when I bought, Amazon was cheaper and they priced matched. I have not had time to install. I still have to build the boxes to be placed over the speakers in the attic, 15"x20"x8"x1/2" MDF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160428_234049_resized.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1411970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160428_233943_resized.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1411978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160428_233054_resized.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1411986  
post #58 of 74 Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 PM

I bought 6 of the R-8C and really liked them. I also bought the M-8C and several other speakers for comparison, and liked the R-8C the best. Now I've sold that house with the speakers and want to buy more.

If anyone has 2 or 4 R-8Cs for sale, I'm interested in buying them. Anyone? Please e-mail steveATwotelectronics.com

Or, are the OSD MK850 speakers really the same as the R-8C?

Last edited by Steve513; 07-18-2016 at 10:23 PM.
post #59 of 74 Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've been looking into these to go with my Klipsch RP system for atmos set up and it looks like the R-8C is probably the better speaker but the tweeter doesn't look like it can be aimed at the listening position which is what you want in an atmos set up correct?
post #60 of 74 Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Based on my research and caparisons, specs and pictures, I think the OSD MK-850s are better than R-8C, with exceptions, they are not rimless and are more expensive. I have installed the inwall MKW-850's for my surrounds and they sound really nice, good bass and loud. I haven't measured them with REW, only by ear comparison to the speakers they replaced, JBL-2600. Not gonna brave the in attic installation of boxes for the MK-850 ceiling speakers while the temps are 95 deg +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page