Micca Reference series speakers price drop on Amazon - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 09-07-2016, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl0bby View Post
I would be interested in that too - I am thinking of using 4 of the Micca M-8Cs (since I can't find the reference line) with a Sonos connect:amp in an open space about 24' x 24'. The other rooms I'm going to be using Sonos Play3s or 5s. But if anyone has ideas of what speakers would be better with the connect:amp I'd love to hear it. I'm also thinking of an in-wall sub powered by an AudioSource AMP-100 (the connect:amp has a sub out).
Just to follow up - I ended up going with 4 Definitive Technology UIW 63/A Speakers powered by one Sonos Connect:AMP. I also got a Dayton Audio APA100 which I'm running mono, fed by the sub out from the Sonos, driving an Acoustic Audio HDS10 in-wall subwoofer.

Overall, I'm really happy with the sound - I generally prefer fairly neutral speakers, and this setup seems very natural sounding. The bass is just ok; in order to get it right I have the volume on the amp set to 90%+, which makes it run hot and if anything is blocking the airflow it will overheat. So if I had to do it again I would get a more powerful amp for the subwoofer, but I have it all working now so I'm just going to tiptoe away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 11-01-2016, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FYI to anyone who is interested: I reached out to Micca regarding speaker enclosures and received this reply.

Quote:
Thanks for your patience as we researched this issue. Even though you are installing in a suspended ceiling, there is no need for an enclosure as the speakers are designed to work in "infinite baffle" configuration. Therefore it's recommended to just leave the back of the speaker exposed. If you are required to build a box for other considerations, such as back-wave noise control, the recommendation is to build one that is between 2-2.5 cubic feet in volume.
RandyH2 likes this.
post #63 of 73 Old 08-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quank View Post
FYI to anyone who is interested: I reached out to Micca regarding speaker enclosures and received this reply.
I just happened across this thread, and I am curious if that was all of the information that they gave you in regards to the enclosure. The reason I ask is that 2-2.5 cu. ft. seems like a pretty large enclosure for an 8" speaker. Especiially if it's being used for Atmos duties such what I intend to use it for.

Looking forward to your response...and if anyone else has gone this route with theirs, Id be interested to know your thoughs on this subject as well.

Thanks,

Darrell

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
I just happened across this thread, and I am curious if that was all of the information that they gave you in regards to the enclosure. The reason I ask is that 2-2.5 cu. ft. seems like a pretty large enclosure for an 8" speaker. Especiially if it's being used for Atmos duties such what I intend to use it for.

Looking forward to your response...and if anyone else has gone this route with theirs, Id be interested to know your thoughs on this subject as well.

Thanks,

Darrell
What did you end up doing? I bought a set to try in my drop ceiling, per their response in the previous message, it should work fine without an enclosure.

Equipment - Silverticket 100" - Epson 5040UB - Denon X4300H - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield 4K - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones - APC C25B Power Filter
Speakers 5.2.4 - SVS Prime Center, Bookshelves, Satellites, 2x PB-2000, 4x Micca R-8C (Atmos)
HTPC - Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 1050ti 4GB, 12TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
post #65 of 73 Old 11-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
What did you end up doing? I bought a set to try in my drop ceiling, per their response in the previous message, it should work fine without an enclosure.
I haven't purchased them yet. I was waiting for Black Friday as this upgrade was intended as a X-Mas present to myself. I did however continue some research, and found a decent alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PELN0C...v_ov_lig_dp_it

These were referred by another user that had the same concern as myself, and said that they worked well to protect them from insulation & dust, as that was my main concern.

And yes, these speakers were indeed designed so that they could be used without an enclosure. I just thought it best to protect them.

Darrell

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #66 of 73 Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I haven't purchased them yet. I was waiting for Black Friday as this upgrade was intended as a X-Mas present to myself. I did however continue some research, and found a decent alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PELN0C...v_ov_lig_dp_it

These were referred by another user that had the same concern as myself, and said that they worked well to protect them from insulation & dust, as that was my main concern.

And yes, these speakers were indeed designed so that they could be used without an enclosure. I just thought it best to protect them.

Darrell

They came in and I hooked them up in place of my PC speakers to test them out. Using a Dayton DTA-100A amp, they sound really good for the price. They were completely open air, just placed them on my desk. I did a few sweeps and they have no issues playing down to 80hz and beyond. They were audible down to 40hz but it was a little bit of a stretch. Maybe in an enclosure. I'll run my crossover at 80hz anyway so they will be perfect for what I need. I'm replacing some Klipsch satellites that I had laying around, they struggle to go below 150hz. I picked these up due to the aluminum dome tweeter, I was trying to match my Primes with an in-ceiling option and these fit the bill. I plan on installing them this weekend.

d-rail34 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

Equipment - Silverticket 100" - Epson 5040UB - Denon X4300H - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield 4K - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones - APC C25B Power Filter
Speakers 5.2.4 - SVS Prime Center, Bookshelves, Satellites, 2x PB-2000, 4x Micca R-8C (Atmos)
post #67 of 73 Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They came in and I hooked them up in place of my PC speakers to test them out. Using a Dayton DTA-100A amp, they sound really good for the price. They were completely open air, just placed them on my desk. I did a few sweeps and they have no issues playing down to 80hz and beyond. They were audible down to 40hz but it was a little bit of a stretch. Maybe in an enclosure. I'll run my crossover at 80hz anyway so they will be perfect for what I need. I'm replacing some Klipsch satellites that I had laying around, they struggle to go below 150hz. I picked these up due to the aluminum dome tweeter, I was trying to match my Primes with an in-ceiling option and these fit the bill. I plan on installing them this weekend.

Awesome! I would definitely like to hear your thoughts on them once installed.

post #68 of 73 Old 11-22-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Awesome! I would definitely like to hear your thoughts on them once installed.
I love them. They perform exactly as I anticipated and hoped. I can no longer easily distinguish between my Atmos speakers and my Primes. It's now a seamless transition. I have the front two installed, the rear two should arrive tomorrow.

d-rail34 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

post #69 of 73 Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I love them. They perform exactly as I anticipated and hoped. I can no longer easily distinguish between my Atmos speakers and my Primes. It's now a seamless transition. I have the front two installed, the rear two should arrive tomorrow.

Great to hear that you're having a good experience with them.

Did you cover them with anything, or just letting them play into open air?

post #70 of 73 Old 11-22-2018, 08:26 AM

They are open air. I added a 24" x 24" piece of .25" plywood to the tops of the tiles. This should help keep them from sagging and keeps the bracket from digging into the tile.

I haven't ran Audyssey again, I just manually set them to 80hz. Once the rears come in and are installed, I'll set it up properly.

post #71 of 73 Old 09-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have the R-8Cs and am having them installed as I finish my basement and media room. Two in the media room for ceiling Atmos speakers. The other two in the open basement area to use as "Zone 2" spill over sound. Can't wait to try them out.

As a side note, I had to double take at this picture as I have the same PC case (Cooler Master) and an Xbox 360 controller sitting in the same spot. LOL!

Quote:

mudfrog likes this.
post #72 of 73 Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post
I have the R-8Cs and am having them installed as I finish my basement and media room. Two in the media room for ceiling Atmos speakers. The other two in the open basement area to use as "Zone 2" spill over sound. Can't wait to try them out.

As a side note, I had to double take at this picture as I have the same PC case (Cooler Master) and an Xbox 360 controller sitting in the same spot. LOL!

Have you had a chance to hear them yet? What do you think?

post #73 of 73 Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Have you had a chance to hear them yet? What do you think?

So far so good. When I calibrated the media setup (7.1.2) which has a mix of SVSound surrounds and sub plus these Miccas, they fit right in and sound seamless. Haven't really stress tested them yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page