Please recommend warm, musical bookshelf speakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked: 2592
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001ZWSY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3K6OBVYWJYYI7

I just thought this was a pretty good deal. $100/pair used like new.

Licence to Kill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKHH View Post

I owned a pair of polk tsi100, they sound OK, but the highs are a bit bright and harsh; fatigue after listening for hours.

Nice little speakers, with emphasis on the word little.

Also, obviously not matched to the rest of the system, particularly the room.

What do you expect from a 5 inch woofer?

Real bass? GMAB!
Quote:
I need to look for a warm, musical speaker as the main to better suit my need, and set these Tsis as surround speakers.

Perhaps, but have you ever heard of subwoofers?

What about experimenting with location in the room?

Then, there are always acoustic treatments. Chances that a room is ideal for an arbitrarily-chosen speaker = approximately zero.
Quote:
I mainly listen to music, any kinds of music, like classic, pop, rock, etc except heavy metals.

Doesn't matter. A good system will be acceptable with a wide variety of genres and recordings. I'.m not saying that any speaker is ideal with everything, but the better the room/speaker balance, the larger percentage of recordings will sound acceptable.

One of the things that gives me a headache is people who literally run an ever-changing parade of minispeakers with 4-6" woofers through their listening rooms on a railroad track. To a certain degree they are going to tend to sound the same.

Plan B: Spend a few hundred dollars on a good 12" subwoofer and position and balance that out. It is truly amazing what extending clean bass from about 100 Hz down to 30 Hz does for the perception of midrange and treble.
Quote:
I've been reading the posts here, looks like Energy RC10 was a pretty good option, but it's discontinued; I have nowhere to buy.

Is there any recommendation that is similar to RC10 or better?

My budget is about what RC10 was.

First recommended option - get a good subwoofer.

Second recommended option (your first choice if money is a problem) is look at speaker placement and room acoustics treatments.

The world is full of really pretty good speakers in crappy locations in crappy rooms. Fixing a room by swapping speakers is like trying to tune a car engine by replacing the shock absorbers.
post #33 of 34 Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Quote:

I finally decide to go for boston A26 speakers.
Just got them couple of days ago for around $280.

I Have listened to them for a while, very pleased with the sound;
the sound stage, low/mid/high are all pleasant, vocal/classical, rocks etc. are very good.
Movie is well represented too.

It kicks away my uncomfortable feel about Polk tsi100, 100 could be served as surrounds.

All I can say is it's well worth the high reviews on-line.

If anyone is having the same concern about speakers, at this price range, this is a cant-let-go option.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad to see you found some speakers you like. smile.gif

Although as a point of clarification for others that read this thread since I just did, the CBM-170 SEs you discarded above because they would be "a bit small" have a similar cabinet size and same size driver.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Perhaps, but have you ever heard of subwoofers?

Perhaps you haven't heard of reading the thread?
Quote:

Yes, I have a bic america 12'' sub

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Tsi100 Bookshelf Speakers Pair Cherry , Energy Rc 10 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Black Ash Veneer , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page