Using 5 center channels for 5.1 system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I am interested in Wharfdale 9.2's for a surround setup. I have not had good luck finding a set. I have found a good deal on 9.CM's. I could pick up 5 for a good deal.

Would 5 center channels work for a 5.1 setup? Is there something inherently different in a center channel that would result in poor results for LR and surrounds? The frequency response is different, but it still goes down to 70Hz, and I would probably crossover with my sub around 80Hz.

In lots of cases people use an extra LR speaker as a center, but I have not read about using centers all the way around.

This may be a dumb idea, and if it is let me know. You won't offend me. Just tell me why it is a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Depends somewhat on design. Many centers are intended to be horizontal rather than vertical orientation but some can have their tweeters/waveguides rotated to accommodate somewhat depending on your placement Nothing wrong with using a good center all around, many use the same speaker for all front three in any case, as long as it's a good capable speaker doesn't matter what you call it. Surrounds don't need to be as capable as the mains but if you listen to multi channel music then might be better for the same speaker all around.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Depends somewhat on design. Many centers are intended to be horizontal rather than vertical orientation but some can have their tweeters/waveguides rotated to accommodate somewhat depending on your placement Nothing wrong with using a good center all around, many use the same speaker for all front three in any case, as long as it's a good capable speaker doesn't matter what you call it. Surrounds don't need to be as capable as the mains but if you listen to multi channel music then might be better for the same speaker all around.

Just had a look at the manufacturer's product page and it does not look like the tweeter and mid-range can be rotated for LCR use. Unless you are able to place them all horizontally I would totally advise against this purchase. Even if you were to able to orient them as intended by the manufacturer, I would speculate that you would still run into sound field dispersion issues. Better to look for a different solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 102
Thank you both for your input. I will scratch the idea and keep looking for a good deal on 9.2, 10.2, or the new Diamond 122's.

Thanks for saving me time and money on a less than ideal solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page