Revel C763L vs Triad InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, so I have some cheap revel ceiling speaker (c263) throughout the first floor of my house that I use for parties and casual listening throughout the house. I want to get some ceiling speakers to go in the family room (aesthetic reasons) and am wondering which of the following would be better?

Revel C763L

OR

Triad InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR

Since I already have Revel in the other rooms I am wondering if it makes sense to just finish it off with Revel so that the timbres all match? Or are the Triad better enough speakers that it wouldn't even matter? This would be for the LCRs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnoct90 View Post

Hey, so I have some cheap revel ceiling speaker (c263) throughout the first floor of my house that I use for parties and casual listening throughout the house. I want to get some ceiling speakers to go in the family room (aesthetic reasons) and am wondering which of the following would be better?

Revel C763L

OR

Since I already have Revel in the other rooms I am wondering if it makes sense to just finish it off with Revel so that the timbres all match? Or are the Triad better enough speakers that it wouldn't even matter? This would be for the LCRs

Between those two Revel is going to be the superior speaker (even the "cheap"er ones).

The downside to the Revel & Triad models you linked is that the cutouts are HUGE. Aesthetically this may end up not being the most pleasing layout for your room.

Another line to consider that has a much smaller cutout (even going with their 8" models) would be RBH. The MC Series http://rbhsound.com/inceilinglcr_mc.php is an excellent performer. They also use aluminum drivers similar to the Revel line.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12808 Post(s)
Liked: 10444
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Revel C763L

OR

Did not notice the flat panel woofer and just saw the two mid ranges. Would like to see specs on the Revel, since I have not heard it. Also would like to see some foam on the Revel to help cut down on the reflection. Both should be good speakers, but without hearing and knowing specs on the Revel, I can't tell you which is the better speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12808 Post(s)
Liked: 10444
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
The RBH MC series are nice speakers for the money. The MC-815L does not come with a back box, but you can purchase a foam back box for this speaker and it will attenuate the sound to other areas and help the sound from the speaker.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

Between those two Revel is going to be the superior speaker (even the "cheap"er ones).

The downside to the Revel & Triad models you linked is that the cutouts are HUGE. Aesthetically this may end up not being the most pleasing layout for your room.

Another line to consider that has a much smaller cutout (even going with their 8" models) would be RBH. The MC Series http://rbhsound.com/inceilinglcr_mc.php is an excellent performer. They also use aluminum drivers similar to the Revel line.

Yah the Revels need less clearance and are a smaller cutout. The only thing is, the Triads are angled better.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Yah the Revels need less clearance and are a smaller cutout. The only thing is, the Triads are angled better.

Actually, and I can't believe I didn't think of this in my last post....

The BG Radia IC-201 Link: http://bgcorp.com/PDFs/IC-201%20ProductSheet.pdf

This is an incredible speaker that uses BG's own PMD (Planar Magnetic Driver) tweeter. I can speak on the other lines in this thread because I have years in working with them and have extensive experience with the models brought up for consideration. The IC-201 is the better speaker and it's not even close. I would look at these as well if you want something special.

Robin's a little stiff in the video but he's super personable and very knowledgeable. Feel free to give him a call if you'd like to learn more about the company and the speaker. The IC-201 is, bar none, the finest in-ceiling LCR I've been able to come across for use in our projects and I have tried a great great many. The PMD cannot be beat and the mid/bass is excellent. As far as the angling of the drivers, the PMD has incredible dispersion.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Revel C763L

OR

Just to be clear are you going to be using these speakers for LCR duty? If so, I absolutely agree with PlexMulti's recommendation of the IC-201's. the sound is incredible. I have installed both these and the Triad Gold in-ceilings, and preferred the BG's by a pretty big margin... Just my opinion of course....
If you are wanting speakers for background music, I would recommend one of their standard in-ceiling speakers.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

Just to be clear are you going to be using these speakers for LCR duty? If so, I absolutely agree with PlexMulti's recommendation of the IC-201's. the sound is incredible. I have installed both these and the Triad Gold in-ceilings, and preferred the BG's by a pretty big margin... Just my opinion of course....
If you are wanting speakers for background music, I would recommend one of their standard in-ceiling speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

Actually, and I can't believe I didn't think of this in my last post....

The BG Radia IC-201 Link: http://bgcorp.com/PDFs/IC-201%20ProductSheet.pdf

This is an incredible speaker that uses BG's own PMD (Planar Magnetic Driver) tweeter. I can speak on the other lines in this thread because I have years in working with them and have extensive experience with the models brought up for consideration. The IC-201 is the better speaker and it's not even close. I would look at these as well if you want something special.

Robin's a little stiff in the video but he's super personable and very knowledgeable. Feel free to give him a call if you'd like to learn more about the company and the speaker. The IC-201 is, bar none, the finest in-ceiling LCR I've been able to come across for use in our projects and I have tried a great great many. The PMD cannot be beat and the mid/bass is excellent. As far as the angling of the drivers, the PMD has incredible dispersion.

Unfortunately low profile, magnetic, bezleless grills are a must, so this one probably isn't going to happen.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Revel C763L

OR

I had to make that decision two years ago, exact same products. The Triad solution was not a serious contender, so I ultimately went with the Revel C763L.

What I have found is that the in-room performance is similar to the Revel M12, though dynamically limited due to transducer size, the large room, and tall ceiling. If I had to do it all over again, I might actually choose the C783 or C763 instead.

Good luck! smile.gif
post #10 of 14 Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhT View Post

I had to make that decision two years ago, exact same products. The Triad solution was not a serious contender, so I ultimately went with the Revel C763L.

What I have found is that the in-room performance is similar to the Revel M12, though dynamically limited due to transducer size, the large room, and tall ceiling. If I had to do it all over again, I might actually choose the C783 or C763 instead.

Good luck! smile.gif

Sorry for my ignorance, but how does the transducer effect things exactly? My room has normal height ceilings and is not overly large. How was the directional (angled) speaker? Does it have any effect or not?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but how does the transducer effect things exactly? My room has normal height ceilings and is not overly large. How was the directional (angled) speaker? Does it have any effect or not?

When you say "normal height ceiling"....how high is it actually? Having directional angled ceiling speakers is a must IMO if one is going the LCR in-ceiling route.

I listened to the Revels a couple of years ago and liked them. I remember them being a little light on the bass, then again most in-ceiling speakers probably are. I don't recall the the angle of the tweeter and drivers.

Ultimately I went with the Def Tech RCS in-ceiling series. The cut-outs are quite large and the wife freaked out a little at first but nowadays she, I nor anyone else comments on their size. My ceiling height is 8ft, btw.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by platoon2063 View Post

When you say "normal height ceiling"....how high is it actually? Having directional angled ceiling speakers is a must IMO if one is going the LCR in-ceiling route.

I listened to the Revels a couple of years ago and liked them. I remember them being a little light on the bass, then again most in-ceiling speakers probably are. I don't recall the the angle of the tweeter and drivers.

Ultimately I went with the Def Tech RCS in-ceiling series. The cut-outs are quite large and the wife freaked out a little at first but nowadays she, I nor anyone else comments on their size. My ceiling height is 8ft, btw.

Yah, the ceilings are 8ft. and we have a separate subwoofer so it should be ok right?
post #13 of 14 Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yah, the ceilings are 8ft. and we have a separate subwoofer so it should be ok right?

I don't see why it wouldn't work out. In-ceiling speakers are a compromise. They may not sound like your traditional bookshelf or tower speaker, however I have been through many speakers in the last decade or so and find the Def Tech RCS's darn close to traditional speaker sound. It probably helps that I have a low ceiling (8ft) as do you. Sitting in my primary listening position, which is on the couch directly in front about 11-12' from the TV, I don't notice any sound coming from the ceiling. Now, if I move to either side of the room and I can depict where the sound is coming from easier.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhT View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by prnoct90 

Revel C763L

OR

Good luck!
I know this is an old thread but I am also in the same situation. I need sides/rears/Atmos-ceilings and have been looking at both Triad and Revel.

The only angled Revel speaker is the C763L but I am afraid that it will be limited SPL-wise compared to Triad. And the sensitivity on the Revel is very low thus requiring more amplifier power.

Why did you not think Triad was a serious contender?

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page