Newbie speaker setup under $700 for apartment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cel4145
  • 1 Post By dsrussell

post #1 of 10 Old 09-07-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First off, thanks for looking and all your help. I live in an apartment ~12 x 20 open living room. I'm looking for a system to mainly play music (60/40 music / movies). I'm leaning towards the yamaha rx-v475 as I want network capabilities and airplay. I have a budget of ~700 for speakers (not including the Yamaha). I'm not sure if I should spend my money on good towers, a 2.1 setup, or a 5.1 setup. I'd appreciate any suggestions. If I go with a 2 channel setup, i'd like the option to expand with the same brand speakers for surround in the future.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quite a wish list but you need to define your goals a bit too. If $700 is your complete budget including sub it's on the skinny side, and even without sub on the skinny side depending on expectations. Some make/model lines are suitable for expansion with similar characteristics but you still need to plan more specifically.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
I would go with 2.0 for now on that budget, and expand steadily out from there. The Yamaha is probably a good receiver, you can't really go wrong there. That takes about half your budget. Right now Amazon is selling the Infinity Primus p363 for less than $150 shipped, that is a killer deal. That is a very highly regarded budget speaker which will give you some decent bass until you can get a sub. You may not even feel the need for a sub with the Primus. Two of those and the Yammy will come in under budget and will give you a terrific sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. At first I was looking at the Polk 75t's in a 2 speaker config since I figured a sub would not be appreciated by my neighbors in my apt. Also, I figured since I'd listen to 60% music, I'd like good 2 channel sound. However, after more research, I've been thinking more about good quality bookshelves for the front and a good sub (NXG-NX perhaps? although 500W seems large). However, I only chose the Polks because at first they seemed the best fit for me in my price range. After consulting this forum, i've become open to internet direct companies (I just lack enough knowledge)

My budget is ~700 for now, and in a few months I could add surrounds if it makes sense. My current apt has concrete floors (with a small rug), however I don't know where i'll be in a year.

I realize that this is fairly vague, but I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks a lot!.

BTW: $700 for speakers only. Receiver budget is $400 -> about $1100 total.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by vha23 View Post

. . . and a good sub (NXG-NX perhaps? although 500W seems large).

Don't worry about large. Worry about the sound quality. Just like a receiver, you don't have to run the subwoofer that loud.

ARX, EMP Tek, Ascend Acoustics, and Monitor Audio all make good bookshelves that you could pair with that NXG and stay within your budget.
Valtyr likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 587
I would recommend a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers, which you can get for $450.

They are not too large and are excellent-sounding speakers with as much bass as you want in your situation.

The matching speakers for 5-channel are readily available when you want them (the 10.1 and 10CC).

I recommend the Harman-Kardon AVR 1650 receiver, which Amazon has for $282 now. It is very very nice for the money.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If you ask me, I'd get Wharfedale, or Monitor Audio RX1.

The NXG sub would be great for your application.

If you wanted another thought, I'd take a look at the SVS PB1000 + 2 Cambridge Audio S30's.

Overall, SQ is better on Monitor Audio, but Sub + S30 is a heck of a combination, especially for apartment living.

I've heard the P163's, although they're a good deal, they're significantly worse than any of the aforementioned.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I figured I'd give an update in case anyone else finds this thread. (1 year later)

I ended up finding a denon x2000 open box at best buy for 400. So I obviously jumped on that.

With the insight from this thread, I got a pair of the the wharfedale diamond 10.2. They sound awesome and provide enough bass for my apt without the need for a subwoofer. (Obviously during a movie there's times when I'd like the feel of my butt shaking from a real sub, but then I'd be kicked out of my apt as well) I actually have thick walls, and can feel my concrete floor and walls vibrate when the speakers are turned even halfway up.

If I had to pick a complaint, it would be the rear ports. They make me place the speakers further from the wall(not so hard) but also make my neighbor not so happy. I'm not sure if front ports would fix this though since I love the bass...

Anyway, the speakers are awesome and I highly recommend them to anyone in a similar situation. My receiver has audsessy so I'm not sure how they would sound normally, but for me they aren't too bright or too boomy. I listen to mainly rock, hip hop, edm, and i have no complaints for an apt setup. My entire room shakes if I turn up the music, and I have concrete floors and pretty solid walls (I wrote a review a year ago as well) btw, I got the rosewood color based on recommendation from music direct, and they are stunning.

Last edited by vha23; 12-20-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Update
post #9 of 10 Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtyr View Post
If you ask me, I'd get Wharfedale, or Monitor Audio RX1.

The NXG sub would be great for your application.

If you wanted another thought, I'd take a look at the SVS PB1000 + 2 Cambridge Audio S30's.

Overall, SQ is better on Monitor Audio, but Sub + S30 is a heck of a combination, especially for apartment living.

I've heard the P163's, although they're a good deal, they're significantly worse than any of the aforementioned.

P163 are pretty good for the price i got mine for $59 at amazon.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 3113
^^ Glad you reported back. Nothing worse than giving advice and not knowing what decision a person has made . And congratulations on your choice!
MEGATURON likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page