Andrew Jones' Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers good for music? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Yeah--I saw that. I'm betting they won't measure up to the modded Pioneers, but I may pick up a pair to make sure.

The Insignia of course can use some type of mod - and for you, they may be more forward than you like.smile.gif

I will throw your modded Pioneer, against the modded Cambridge and the Boston E60

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 11-08-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Insignia of course can use some type of mod - and for you, they may be more forward than you like.smile.gif

I will throw your modded Pioneer, against the modded Cambridge and the Boston E60

Uh Boy What's the Boston E60?
post #33 of 49 Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Uh Boy What's the Boston E60?

The red line on this chart - use to list for $600 each
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/boston-acoustics-reference-e-series-e70-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17

What are some good preamp/dac/amp/sub to go with these speakers?

post #35 of 49 Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 815
post #36 of 49 Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnxx View Post

What are some good preamp/dac/amp/sub to go with these speakers?

They won't need anything special. SVS PB/SB1000 seems to be the least expensive sub to get unreservedly positive reviews, as long as your space isn't too big for one. The Dayton SUB1200 holds the crown for the least expensive sub worth buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Can they be wall mounted?

Sure. People stick them on those articulated wall mounts, or even just stick them in macrame plant hangers.
post #37 of 49 Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post

They won't need anything special. SVS PB/SB1000 seems to be the least expensive sub to get unreservedly positive reviews, as long as your space isn't too big for one. The Dayton SUB1200 holds the crown for the least expensive sub worth buying.
Sure. People stick them on those articulated wall mounts, or even just stick them in macrame plant hangers.

Articulated wall mount?
post #38 of 49 Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Articulated wall mount?

My own terminology. eg. http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40B-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002UV03MW

They let you aim the speaker around a little, so you can fiddle with the axes somewhat.
post #39 of 49 Old 02-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hmmm.... given that these soakers have rear ports, I would be hesitant to put it close to walls.
post #40 of 49 Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post

Hmmm.... given that these soakers have rear ports, I would be hesitant to put it close to walls.
As far as I can tell, most people posting this kind of comment have no real idea what that does, or why, or how close is too close.

Wall mounting would be OK for most people, especially those buying this speaker, and it helps if you have a mount that keeps it a couple inches from the wall.
post #41 of 49 Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think people tend to just assume that rear port = bad for wall mounting and sealed = good. But it's not so simple.

This really depends on the cabinet tuning as well as the amount of baffle step compensation.

Not all sealed speakers are meant to be near or on wall... and some will sound bloated when placed there. Just like some rear ported speakers can perform OK near wall (ie. not flush against the wall)...
post #42 of 49 Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have had a set of SP-BS21-LR for over a year now. I love the sound. Recently, one of the woofers started to die. I have reached out to Pioneer; however, they do not sale the woofer separately. Does anyone on this forum have a suggestion for a replacement driver?
post #43 of 49 Old 09-10-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
I would probably just save up for a new pair of the BS22, they are a nice step up from the original series, and when on sale, you can get them for as low as $50/pair. Amazon is probably about due for another sale on them soon, so keep an eye out.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #44 of 49 Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry, typo. I meant that I had the SP-BS22-LR set and needed advice on a woofer replacement.
post #45 of 49 Old 09-10-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Berebitsky View Post
Sorry, typo. I meant that I had the SP-BS22-LR set and needed advice on a woofer replacement.
Several of the stock 22's I've ordered have had defective woofers. I e-mailed Pioneer to see if I could purchase replacements, but I never received a reply. I think ordering a whole new speaker is the only recourse. You can't just drop in a different model woofer.
post #46 of 49 Old 09-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Several of the stock 22's I've ordered have had defective woofers. I e-mailed Pioneer to see if I could purchase replacements, but I never received a reply. I think ordering a whole new speaker is the only recourse. You can't just drop in a different model woofer.
@ Dennis. Would you recommend people staying away from the low end Pioneers for the time being?
post #47 of 49 Old 09-23-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
@ Dennis. Would you recommend people staying away from the low end Pioneers for the time being?
No--they're still good buys. The QC on the tweeter has actually improved, and the percentage of woofers with problems has been low. It's just that I see a lot of Pioneer woofers. The defective ones will run out of headroom faster, but they still play at moderate to fairly loud volumes.
post #48 of 49 Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Oh, okay. I was afraid that there was a newly discovered issue with these AVS darlings. I wouldn't plan on blasting them. I'm looking to throw something inexpensive in my bedroom. Pioneer FS52, BIC America Venturi DV64, or CAMBRIDGE AUDIO S70. All seem to be at a decent price.

Last edited by Pentothal; 09-24-2014 at 08:09 AM.
post #49 of 49 Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Crossover information

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy

I've been experimenting with the 22's over the last week to see whether there was an easy way to fix what I found to be a drawback for serious music listening. The lower treble became murky and withdrawn on complex program material. I quickly discovered that the crossover was not the issue. As you would expect from Andrew Jones, it's extremely well done. The problem is an underachieving tweeter. Please note that I am extremely picky about sound, and what strikes me as a problem may be a non-issue for you. Also realize that these speakers are probably fine for HT, and an amazing bargain in that function. But, since they are so inexpensive, and the woofer and box tuning are so good, I did experiment with a cheap tweeter that's always performed well for me. It's a Vifa silk dome that costs me about $25/pr with shipping.

I came up with two revised crossovers to use with the Vifa. The first simply adds one $1.50 capacitor to the tweeter circuit. That significantly improves the detail and presence of the stock 22, although the midrange is a little fuller than optimal. The second adds 3 components costing around $20/pr. That produces first class sound that is probably a little better than the Cambridge S30 or the NHT Super Zero. I've attached a plot I made of the frequency response. Unfortunately, this isn't really something you would want to try at home. The Vifa terminals aren't in the same location as the stock tweeter, and you have to enlarge the through-hole sightly in one location. And the more complex mod can't be simply added on to the stock printed circuit board. You have to build a new board. And, of course, all of this voids the warranty. Still--if you use your 22's for serious music listening and would be interested in hearing what the mod sounds like, I would be happy to ship out my pair for a listen. You would have to pay return shipping, so the closer you are to Washington D.C., the better.
I should also add - I'd be more than willing to pay to ship them back to you in order to give them a listen. I don't have the stock BS22's or the S30 to compare to, but it'd be fun to hear them.
Dennis Murphy, I would like to get circuit diagrams for the two crossover mods you mentioned. I'm a new member (I joined in hopes of being able to contact you) so I can't send you a PM. I have the reply notification set for my account, and my email is dadwhiskers at gmail.com I'm 70, and don't have much to do, so I thought modding my set would be a welcome little project. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page