AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Recommend me some speakers please! (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1503481-recommend-me-some-speakers-please.html)

Javk 12-03-2013 08:47 PM

Hi, we have this extra room 10'x12'x7' that we want to make a media room, for watching movies, gaming and music.

So what I would like is to outfit this room with a quality sound system, that's not overkill for the small room, but also equipment that can make the transition when we move to a bigger place. We have the couch pushed all the way back with a 60" on the opposite wall. There is not much play to move the couch out from the wall so I think we can rule out a 5.1

I was thinking a 3.1 with mains that will hold us over for the next year or so and can transition to great satellites once we move on. Budget-wise Id like to keep it around 1000-1500, but could go higher if it's worth it. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff so any recommendations are welcome for consideration

I was thinking
2xCBM-170 SE for L/R
ES 10i emp tek sub
Denon avr 1613

Not sure about a mid, if the sub is big enough, or if this is even a good setup

zieglj01 12-03-2013 08:55 PM

Javk 12-03-2013 09:03 PM

Cool! New brands I never heard of to check out :>. How does these compare to the cbm-170 se?

zieglj01 12-03-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javk View Post

Cool! New brands I never heard of to check out :>. How does these compare to the cbm-170 se?

I have not listened to the CBM-170. However based on the reviews, I am confident that it is a nice speaker.

GIEGAR 12-03-2013 09:57 PM

JavK, I reckon you're on the right track with the Ascends as a basis for a terrific compact 5.1 system. You don't need to have the couch away from the wall (although 6" to a foot won't hurt), because the ideal position for surrounds is at 90 degrees to the viewing axis. Like this:

Here you go:

Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE + CMT-340SEc + HTM-200SE 5 Channel System: $698 (Black Friday/Thanksgiving Sale)
Sub: Pass on the EMPTek and get the Rythmik LV12R Rear ported Servo Sub: $599
Total: (with discounts in the shopping cart) $1267

In anticipation of bigger place in the future, I suggest stepping up to a 7.1 channel AVR (wait, there's a plan!). This factory refurbished Denon AVR-2113CI is great value at $350. (Also put AVS' own jdsmoothie on the mat for his best price on a NIB unit.) The 2113CI also has the added attraction of a step up to Audyssey MultEQ XT.

This brings you to a grand total of $1587 for a quality 5.1 system.

Then later on when you move to a bigger place, upgrade your mains with the big brother CMT-340SE Mini-tower Monitors. The CBM-170SE's would then be moved to surround duty and the HTM-200SE's to the rears for a 7.1 system. (Or 7.2 with a second Rythmik! biggrin.gif).

Good luck and have fun! smile.gif

Javk 12-04-2013 09:51 AM

Sweet! That helps a lot and I like your plan biggrin.gif

Wish you could give these speakers a listen somewhere but it is what it is I guess. Regardless, I think the ascends will be a great set for my first foray based on the many reviews I have been reading.

AcuDefTechGuy 12-04-2013 11:12 AM

Subs: Rythmik LV12 @ $589 (Ascend).
Speakers: Infinity P163 @ $90 each x 5 = $450 (Amazon).
AVR: Denon E300 @ $349 (get Best Buy to price match Amazon).

Total: $1388 shipped.

Future: Just be happy and STOP coming to audio forums to avoid upgrade fever. eek.gif

Elihawk 12-04-2013 11:16 AM

Sure the Rythmic and SVS subs are better than the EMP...but the EMPtek sub, especialy the 1010i, is no slouch! amd 1/2 the price of the other subs!

AcuDefTechGuy 12-04-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Sure the Rythmic and SVS subs are better than the EMP...but the EMPtek sub, especialy the 1010i, is no slouch! amd 1/2 the price of the other subs!

You're probably right about the performance of the 1010i being no slouch. Dual 10" sub drivers are nice. I do like. But it's not "1/2 price".

Rythmik LV12 is $589 shipped.

SVS 1000 sub is $500 shipped.

EMP ES1010 is $400 shipped.

Difference = $189 for Rythmik and $100 for SVS.

I would have liked to see EMP make a 1010n (non-powered) sub for $200 each. biggrin.gif

I do have 5 of the RBH SX-1010N subs, so I do love these kind of subs. Very tight musical "tower-like" bass. wink.gif

Maybe he could get dual EMP 1010i subs. biggrin.gif

Does EMP give discounts for buying multiple subs or speakers?

Elihawk 12-04-2013 11:31 AM

Fair enough...they had it on sale for ~250 for black Friday weekend.
i have the EMP1010i and the Klipsch RW-12d and the EMP is easily the better sub...not as much output, but much more accurate and less boomy (and plenty of output). I think in the running for best sub under 500 dollars!

AcuDefTechGuy 12-04-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Fair enough...they had it on sale for ~250 for black Friday weekend.
i have the EMP1010i and the Klipsch RW-12d and the EMP is easily the better sub...not as much output, but much more accurate and less boomy (and plenty of output). I think in the running for best sub under 500 dollars!

Oh, yeah, for $250 each, dual 1010i subs would be great over a single $589 LV12 sub or single SVS 1000 sub.

I would prefer the 1010i subs too for $250 each.

I love 1010 subs (my SX-1010N). biggrin.gif

Javk 12-06-2013 09:54 AM

Ok managed to pick up a Denon E300 from Frys at $199

Also got the lv12r sub. And the cbm 170s smile.gif

Thanks to GEIGAR 5.1 is going to happen eventually. But as I found out my wife is diametrically opposed to speakers in the family room for style reasons ( -apparently they are ugly? ). So gettin just the 2x cbms and a sub took some Considerable negotiation. I feel like after this experience I could be in line for Next foreign policy advisor smile.gif. Anyway baby steps, next is the center and then the satellites.

Does any of this stuff come with cabling? I'm guessing not so I'm just trying I figure out cables now. No need to
Go super premium here, I just want to avoid any late night radio shack trips if I can once everything arrives smile.gif

johnny hotsauce 12-06-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

I feel like after this experience I could be in line for Next foreign policy advisor smile.gif. Anyway baby steps, next is the center and then the satellites.

Congrats on your new setup! For cables, hit up Monoprice, can't beat the pricing and quality.

I find the ask for forgiveness rather than permisson is the better approach, lol.

My AVR blew up on me so I just rebuilt my low end HT in the living room piece by piece over a months time span and had all the parts shipped to my work so my wife wouldn't notice as much, luckily the new speakers were the same size so she had no clue I just bought a new center and towers and I swapped them out when she was at work biggrin.gif The sub on the other hand was a bit harder to to sneak past her since it's HUGE and I got busted with that purchase, lol.

My budget was the same as yours roughly, below is what I put together for just under $1400 including a little something for my wife:

AVR: Yamaha RX-A2020 $700 (Best Buy open box reduced from $1699)
Front L/R: Infinity Primus P363 $214/pair (Fry's)
Center: Infinity Primus PC351 $189 (Amazon)
Sub: Dayton SUB-1500 $189 (Parts Express)
Rear Surround: Klipsch Quintett (reused from old HT setup)
Front Presence: Klipsch Quintett (reused from old HT setup)
Makeup gift to to the wife for the AVR and Sub: Coach bag at outlet store: $99

Minus the Coach bag cost, I'm pretty happy with the outcome for under $1300 and the new setup will keep me content for a while, at least until we're able to offload this underwater duplex and then get into a house where I can build out a better system since I won't have to share a wall anymore with the neighbor. The awesome deal on the AVR is what helped put this deal over the top with keeping the budget low.

GIEGAR 12-07-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Ok managed to pick up a Denon E300 from Frys at $199

Also got the lv12r sub. And the cbm 170s smile.gif

Thanks to GEIGAR 5.1 is going to happen eventually. But as I found out my wife is diametrically opposed to speakers in the family room for style reasons ( -apparently they are ugly? ). So gettin just the 2x cbms and a sub took some Considerable negotiation. I feel like after this experience I could be in line for Next foreign policy advisor smile.gif. Anyway baby steps, next is the center and then the satellites.

Does any of this stuff come with cabling? I'm guessing not so I'm just trying I figure out cables now. No need to
Go super premium here, I just want to avoid any late night radio shack trips if I can once everything arrives smile.gif

Good work Javk! I love it when a plan starts to come together! biggrin.gif You've done the hard yards I reckon. Your bride's emphasis on style may still soften a bit when she actually gets to hear the system and also observes the enjoyment you get from it.

CMT-340 SE centre next. When the you’re ready, see if you can get away with moving the 170’s to surround duty and adding 340’s for the mains.

Best wishes for your ongoing negotiations!

charmerci 12-08-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Future: Just be happy and STOP coming to audio forums to avoid upgrade fever. eek.gif

This is all too true!

Javk 12-11-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny hotsauce View Post

Congrats on your new setup! For cables, hit up Monoprice, can't beat the pricing and quality.

I find the ask for forgiveness rather than permisson is the better approach, lol.

My AVR blew up on me so I just rebuilt my low end HT in the living room piece by piece over a months time span and had all the parts shipped to my work so my wife wouldn't notice as much, luckily the new speakers were the same size so she had no clue I just bought a new center and towers and I swapped them out when she was at work biggrin.gif The sub on the other hand was a bit harder to to sneak past her since it's HUGE and I got busted with that purchase, lol.

My budget was the same as yours roughly, below is what I put together for just under $1400 including a little something for my wife:

AVR: Yamaha RX-A2020 $700 (Best Buy open box reduced from $1699)
Front L/R: Infinity Primus P363 $214/pair (Fry's)
Center: Infinity Primus PC351 $189 (Amazon)
Sub: Dayton SUB-1500 $189 (Parts Express)
Rear Surround: Klipsch Quintett (reused from old HT setup)
Front Presence: Klipsch Quintett (reused from old HT setup)
Makeup gift to to the wife for the AVR and Sub: Coach bag at outlet store: $99

Minus the Coach bag cost, I'm pretty happy with the outcome for under $1300 and the new setup will keep me content for a while, at least until we're able to offload this underwater duplex and then get into a house where I can build out a better system since I won't have to share a wall anymore with the neighbor. The awesome deal on the AVR is what helped put this deal over the top with keeping the budget low.

Haha love it! Unfortunately I already did the ask later with our new tv :P. So I thought I should at least run this one by her first. Now future upgrades, aka center channel and surrouds... well we shall see when that time comes :>. I will take your advice though and always buy an appeasement gift lol

Thanks for the advice everyone still waiting for speakers and sub to arrive. Speakers might be here today but the sub hasn't shipped yet. My receiver is looking awfully lonely.

Javk 12-17-2013 10:01 AM

Holy crap! Thanks for steering me in the right direction everyone. Got the sub and speakers hoooked up, ran audyssey on the Denon and dang! They rock!
Never heard music this good outside of a concert, my wife is even digging it once she figured out how to play songs from her phone. I was doing the dishes the other night and I heard her crank the volume on some of her favorite songs smile.gif. She commented i really can hear things I never heard before. (Giegar was right on the money with that one thankfully...the sub went from being an eyesore to it looks fine lol).

Mostly been listening to music but it seems like it's going to be equally awesome for movies...Furniture vibrates with the bass in fellowship of the rings! Haven't gotten a chance to watch any full length films yet but we have plans for that next weekend. Looking forward to it, I've got cloverfield on bluray and a couple others ready to go smile.gif

Anyway, lovin the setup. Will have to get some mid and surrounds eventually but for now we are very happy! Thanks again for the help!!!

GIEGAR 12-18-2013 09:31 PM

^ Javk, thanks for reporting back with your impressions mate. That's fantastic! So glad to hear you and your wife are enjoying the setup so much. I find this personally very gratifying and it really is the essence of AVS for me.

Good luck, good health and all the best for the festive season. smile.gif

chashint 12-19-2013 10:28 AM

Congrats, it is always nice to read about a happy beginning (errrr ending ) lol

Javk 12-21-2013 12:51 AM

Thanks again all!  Now I have to get the sub dialed in.  It sounds a bit too 'boomy' and can actually be kind of distracting at times.  But that's another thread. 

Here's a link to my thread for getting help dialing this bad boy in if anyone is curious:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1506860/need-help-dialing-in-my-rythmik-lv12r-with-2xcbm-170-ses

chashint 12-21-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Holy crap! Thanks for steering me in the right direction everyone. Got the sub and speakers hoooked up, ran audyssey on the Denon and dang! They rock!
Never heard music this good outside of a concert, my wife is even digging it once she figured out how to play songs from her phone. I was doing the dishes the other night and I heard her crank the volume on some of her favorite songs smile.gif. She commented i really can hear things I never heard before. (Giegar was right on the money with that one thankfully...the sub went from being an eyesore to it looks fine lol).

Mostly been listening to music but it seems like it's going to be equally awesome for movies...Furniture vibrates with the bass in fellowship of the rings! Haven't gotten a chance to watch any full length films yet but we have plans for that next weekend. Looking forward to it, I've got cloverfield on bluray and a couple others ready to go smile.gif

Anyway, lovin the setup. Will have to get some mid and surrounds eventually but for now we are very happy! Thanks again for the help!!!

16 years ago I met the future Mrs. chashint (Revision II), 14 years ago when were married one of her goals was to make the living room into a perfect House. & Garden model room.
I drew the line when she wanted to get rid of my 70's era stereo. As time went on and finances improved she changed her tactics to getting a decorator friendly sound system.
To be honest she wore me down, but she did not defeat me.... Being a frugal girl I knew she would not want to spend money and go backwards in sound quality (she also plays the violin so I gambled she could tell the difference between speakers ) so I bought a Bose Acoustimass system and hooked it up. She was all smiles and 'proud ' of the tiny cubes until I started playing her favorite Scorpions song. Her smile turned Ito a look of concentration, and I just played it cool. Before the end of the song she was asking if I could also hook up the old speakers, so I did that and we switched back and forth a couple of times. All she said was, can we return the Bose...
Six years later when I decided it was time to replace the sound system, all she said was...if we are going to spend money on it make sure we get a wow factor.
Hello Klipsch RF-83's.
Moral of the story is don't give up, your wife loves the new stuff, a couple of towers up front are already starting to look better to her.