JBL LSR305/308 Appreciation Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #751 of 1078 Old 12-04-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
12B4A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CR Iowa
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Mine are hiss free but dont produce enough volume.

I am using -10dB. That should be about 300mV input reference voltage. Both smartphone and Bluetooth receiver should be able to deliver that voltage at max setting.

Also the sound quality is nothing to write home about. It is like a 10 year old boombox.
As pointed out to you by other folks in the other thread, you're using the wrong cable. While you are waiting for the right cable to be delivered try this experiment:

SAMSUNG-SM-G930A
1.Go to Setting
2.Go to My Device tab
3.Open “Accessibility”
4.Mark “Mono Audio” under the “hearing”

Life is Lambertian
12B4A is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 1078 Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,833
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5324 Post(s)
Liked: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
This is a desktop set up so 2 ft is where it's at..
How about pulling the desk two feet away from the wall and mounting the speakers on the wall?
I know that may seem odd but if you have a big enough room the added space your desk area takes by doing this won't make much difference, i.e.it won't make your room seem smaller or more cluttered. Just an idea.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
m. zillch is offline  
post #753 of 1078 Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,833
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5324 Post(s)
Liked: 3838
The fact that these speakers are bi-amplified internally implies to me that there might be internal trim pots, presumably used to balance the tweeter level to the woofer level, in which case turning them both down would reduce the hiss problem some of you are having. Again, just a thought.

Internally modification by introducing attenuators/pads on both amps also might be explored.

UPDATE: No visible pots. Oh well.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-04-2017 at 05:49 PM.
m. zillch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #754 of 1078 Old 12-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Member
 
tracerit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
How about pulling the desk two feet away from the wall and mounting the speakers on the wall?
I know that may seem odd but if you have a big enough room the added space your desk area takes by doing this won't make much difference, i.e.it won't make your room seem smaller or more cluttered. Just an idea.
This desk is my bedroom so space is limited. For reference, I ended up buying a standing desk six inches less deep to make getting around easier haha.
m. zillch likes this.
tracerit is offline  
post #755 of 1078 Old 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
As pointed out to you by other folks in the other thread, you're using the wrong cable. While you are waiting for the right cable to be delivered try this experiment:

SAMSUNG-SM-G930A
1.Go to Setting
2.Go to My Device tab
3.Open “Accessibility”
4.Mark “Mono Audio” under the “hearing”
I did that. It did not help.

I have ordered the new cable as suggested by others. HOSA CMP-159. Hope that will help. Otherwise I will return the speakers.

Thanks to all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
SouthernCA is online now  
post #756 of 1078 Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
We are building a house, and I have a small room designated for my listening to music and watching movies and blue ray concerts.

This will be a 5.2 setup.

I am considering active studio monitors all around. So Oppo 205 -> Marantz or Yamaha -> Speakers.

The room is: 11.5ft wide x 16.5ft long x 9ft high. And we will be sitting 6-8ft away from LCR speakers.


I am considering several speakers producers, but I am belive I will be going with JBL LRS308 with two 310S subs.


If anybody has tried this, please tell me if you think this will be a suitable set up in my room?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skjermbilde 2017-12-17 kl. 17.54.24.png
Views:	62
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2331898  
Northman83 is offline  
post #757 of 1078 Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
We are building a house, and I have a small room designated for my listening to music and watching movies and blue ray concerts.
This will be a 5.2 setup.
I am considering active studio monitors all around. So Oppo 205 -> Marantz or Yamaha -> Speakers.
The room is: 11.5ft wide x 16.5ft long x 9ft high. And we will be sitting 6-8ft away from LCR speakers.
I am considering several speakers producers, but I believe I will be going with JBL LRS308 with two 310S subs.
If anybody has tried this, please tell me if you think this will be a suitable set up in my room?
Should sound good. Two things come to mind. If you locate the subs on either side of the audio cabinet, how will you put the L/R 308s on stands?

When I had that space problem, I had custom stands made so the subs sat under the monitors. Simple design made from wood. A guy with wood working skills and tools can do it. Get the 308's at the right height (tweeter at ear level).

Proper setup and tuning will be essential. Getting the 308's to integrate with the subs (setting the crossover frequency and level) is key. Room tuning with EQ (like ARC) will help smooth out the low end bumps.
Rex Anderson is offline  
post #758 of 1078 Old 12-17-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,367
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
If you want to solve room mode problems I would place one sub facing on the left wall, facing at the right wall, the center of the woofer should be about 4' from the front wall. The second sub would be on the right wall, facing the left wall, and the center of the woofer would be ~12 feet from the front wall. You don't want your heads to be at the halfway point of the room lengthwise. I'd probably push the seats back slightly so your heads are ~9ft from the front wall.
Ellebob is offline  
post #759 of 1078 Old 12-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everybody and nice to find you.

After reading the whole thread and gathering many useful informations,
its time for my first post seeking for some help for my brand new JBLs.

Long story mode
Spoiler!


I have a pair of LSRs305 connected directly to my Creative AE-5 soundcard with a Dual XLR to 3.5 cable.
I got terrible buzzing/hum when my pc is in full load.
I ordered this as the first simplest thing to try :
Aukey Ground Loop Noise Isolator(google it as I can't post links)


I have to see if solves or no my problem,
but do you know if it will affect sound quality ?

The only relative to my problem reference I found in the whole thread is this :
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
For the guy above me asking about connecting it to a computer. I had a substantial amount of noise coming through the speakers when connected to a computer. It seemed to coincide with CPU usage. I bought an audio interface (Scarlett 2i2) and still had the noise. I ended up having to buy balanced cables to fix the noise issue.
Can swargolet tell what cables did he bought
or any other member what cables are considered as balanced and where can I find them ?

Thank you
Pilorius is offline  
post #760 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 05:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Had 2 LSR305, really enjoyed them, but it seems something was missing.

So i went for the LSR308...and that was it, what a couple of speakers, i don´t think u can´t get any better for this money.
Eva2016 is offline  
post #761 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 07:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[QUOTE=

So i went for the LSR308...and that was it, what a couple of speakers, i don´t think u can´t get any better for this money.[/QUOTE]

Agree, out of curiosity with all the the talk around them I bought a pair of 308 on sale. Had them for a year now in my music system, I have them in use with a pair of dipole subs crossed at 80hz. and still can't get over the enjoyment and accuracy I am getting from the system.
Jacq. is offline  
post #762 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
We are building a house, and I have a small room designated for my listening to music and watching movies and blue ray concerts.

This will be a 5.2 setup.

I am considering active studio monitors all around. So Oppo 205 -> Marantz or Yamaha -> Speakers.

The room is: 11.5ft wide x 16.5ft long x 9ft high. And we will be sitting 6-8ft away from LCR speakers.


I am considering several speakers producers, but I am belive I will be going with JBL LRS308 with two 310S subs.


If anybody has tried this, please tell me if you think this will be a suitable set up in my room?
I don't have 308 speakers and so my comments may not be relevant in situation. But my 305 speakers are not good enough for any serious music or 5.1 home theater set up. I paid about 100 dollar per speaker including built in amp, but they don't sound very good at all. So please audition them carefully before committing to them. There are many other audiophile great speakers , though not active that can do a much better job. Kef Q100, at about 100 dollar a speaker now, comes to mind. There may be others. YMMV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Leon! likes this.
SouthernCA is online now  
post #763 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
my 305 speakers are not good enough for any serious music or 5.1 home theater set up.
What was it about them that didn't sound good?

Anemic bass, harsh highs, etc? If you describe what you didn't like, there might be ways to address it.

I brought a pair to my friend's place, and his room had some severe nulls that robbed the speakers of any midbass at his sofa location.

Also, did you find an alternative speaker that worked better in your space?

Thanks!
amatuerholic is offline  
post #764 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
What was it about them that didn't sound good?

Anemic bass, harsh highs, etc? If you describe what you didn't like, there might be ways to address it.

I brought a pair to my friend's place, and his room had some severe nulls that robbed the speakers of any midbass at his sofa location.

Also, did you find an alternative speaker that worked better in your space?

Thanks!
Well. They lacked

1. Sound clarity. Different instruments were merged with each other.

2. Tweeter accuracy. They just did not sound right. Since i did not measure them, I can not say what caused that.

3. Voice clarity and naturalness. Again not sure about the cause.

In short, they sounded a lot like the sound you get from an old boombox, may be a bit better.

I was very intrigued as the reviews that I had read were much better than that. But since, I was only providing the source (spotify premium) , I can not figure out why they were sounding so ordinary. Maybe the built in amp was defective but JBL customer support did not think so. The next step will be to take them to an authorized service center and see what they say.



My current best guess is that they are cheap speakers (99 dollars each including the built in amp) and sound as such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
SouthernCA is online now  
post #765 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,833
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5324 Post(s)
Liked: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
My current best guess is that they are cheap speakers (99 dollars each including the built in amp) and sound as such.
This sentence speaks volumes as to what your preconceived notions were about $99 ea. speakers (with built in amps) sound like going into this. Looks like it turned out to be pretty much as you expected.

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-26-2017 at 05:08 PM.
m. zillch is offline  
post #766 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
12B4A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CR Iowa
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
This sentence speaks volumes as to what your preconceived notions were about $99 speaker (with built in amps) sound like going into this. Looks like it turned out to be pretty much as you expected.
Something just doesn't seem right with this one...

Life is Lambertian
12B4A is online now  
post #767 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filecat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cal Central Coast
Posts: 4,610
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 185
LSR308 owner here

I've had a pair of LSR308s for at least three years. In LA, I used them as speaker monitors for my 27" iMac. They sounded very, very nice, and I did not have the onerous hum that some folks experience.

When we escaped from LA to the Central California Coast, the people who bought our house did not want to pay for the JBL Synthesis theatre on the lowest level, so I had to dismantle it and bring it with us. Most of it is still boxed up in one stall in our garage.

But we had to have a movie room, so we "temporarily" set up shop in the second largest bedroom, and I put up our Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek microperf screen, Mitsubishi projector, and Oppo UDP-203 universal disk player. After I put some sound absorbers behind the screen and speakers, there was room for four chairs, and that was it, so what about the speakers?

We went with the LSR308 pair and a JBL HTPS400 sub. There's no pre; the 308s and subs are connected direct to the Oppo, and the setup is 2.1 with a phantom center. The Oppo provides the crossover point between the sub and the 308s, and I hooked up an AppleTV through the Oppo as well.

It's a lot smaller, more awkward room than our old HT, but it does sound very good with the 308s. Dialog is clear, highs and lows are impressive, and not needing to have a pre-pro and a mountain of amps is a nice bonus. In fact, my SO would be pleased to just keep that setup, but...

...yes, I would like 7.1.2 (or more) and I do have a mountain of amps boxed in the garage, but these relatively inexpensive LSR308s made it possible to genuinely enjoy $15-16,000 worth of AV equipment without feeling, "Oh, this sucks!" or "Man, this is weak!" or "I'm not watching another #$%&! movie until I can get my whole system set up somewhere!"

As for musical usage. They were fine playing music when I used them for that in LA, but I don't use them for that here. There are some bigger JBLs in the main room that sound significantly better with music. Of course, the LSR308s are 0.68% of the big speaker's retail price.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
filecat13 is offline  
post #768 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
This sentence speaks volumes as to what your preconceived notions were about $99 ea. speakers (with built in amps) sound like going into this. Looks like it turned out to be pretty much as you expected.
No, not really. After reading so many glowing reviews I was hoping for a music quality speaker that just happened to be priced below its capabilities (300 dollars a pair) and so when it came on sale at 99 dollars each, I thought that was a bargain or the year. So my expectations were very high.

The first speaker had a hiss that was always present. So I called JBL and they replaced it so i had a chance ro listen to two speakers. I could not believe how a speaker that was reviewed so favorably could sound so ordinary. So I tried several times on AVS forum and also JBL tech support hoping to find that I was doing something wrong and this speaker was as good as the reviewers had said. I still have a hope that when I take it to the repair center he would be able to tell me what I am doing wrong. But barring that I have to assume that these speakers are not of a very good quality. And they are priced appropriately.

Just my two cents. And I am hoping to be proven wrong.

PS: I am comparing these lsr305 with Kef Q100 (on sale at 225 a pair)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by SouthernCA; 12-26-2017 at 10:20 PM.
SouthernCA is online now  
post #769 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
The low volume problem was solved thanks to this forum. I was using the wrong cable. The speaker hiss problem was solved when I received the replacement speaker for JBL.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
SouthernCA is online now  
post #770 of 1078 Old 12-26-2017, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,833
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5324 Post(s)
Liked: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
PS: I am comparing these lsr305 with Kef Q100 (on sale at 225 a pair)
Plus you need to factor in the the price of the amp you use to power the KEFs, so they are a markedly more expensive overall package of goods. . . . Maybe you should think of the LSR305 as a $50 speaker with a $50 amp.
---

KEFs Q100 in blue trace, should anyone care:

http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot...w-hotness.html
m. zillch is offline  
post #771 of 1078 Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Plus you need to factor in the the price of the amp you use to power the KEFs, so they are a markedly more expensive overall package of goods. . . . Maybe you should think of the LSR305 as a $50 speaker with a $50 amp.
---

KEFs Q100 in blue trace, should anyone care:

http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot...w-hotness.html
Yes that makes sense. For an equivalent 50 dollar speaker, lsr305 are good may be very good.

Based on the glowing reviews, I was mistakenly expecting them to beat kef q100 in sound quality.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by SouthernCA; 12-27-2017 at 05:18 AM.
SouthernCA is online now  
post #772 of 1078 Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,833
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5324 Post(s)
Liked: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I was mistakenly expecting them to beat kef q100 in sound quality.
I've never heard them side by side but based on the published data they seem more neutral (uncolored) for the most important parts of the audible spectrum:

Keep in mind the 305s aren't meant to fill a living room with loud rock music they are meant for monitor work in the near field (say a desk you sit at) and supplemented with a subwoofer if you expect any real bass. Also, although it is an actively bi-amped system don't be fooled into thinking (as so many if not the majority of people incorrectly do) that this means you add the woofer amp watts to the tweeter amp's watts and that total tells you the equivalent power if compared to single amp use. It doesn't work that way at all.

The dual amps mostly adds a small bit of protection to the tweeter. If the amp powering the woofer starts to clip (audibly distort) on loud bass heavy passages when you exceed its spec'd 41 watt capability the tweeter will only be consuming a tiny fraction of that amount of power from its amp because it is more efficient and needs much less power. Since the tweeter amp's output is still clean at this point it won't damage the tweeter which is the more delicate driver of the two and definitely the one people should be more concerned with blowing from distorted amp outputs.

I'm guessing the amp you use to drive your KEFs is more that 41 watts, yes?
m. zillch is offline  
post #773 of 1078 Old 12-27-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I've never heard them side by side but based on the published data they seem more neutral (uncolored) for the most important parts of the audible spectrum:

Keep in mind the 305s aren't meant to fill a living room with loud rock music they are meant for monitor work in the near field (say a desk you sit at) and supplemented with a subwoofer if you expect any real bass. Also, although it is an actively bi-amped system don't be fooled into thinking (as so many if not the majority of people incorrectly do) that this means you add the woofer amp watts to the tweeter amp's watts and that total tells you the equivalent power if compared to single amp use. It doesn't work that way at all.

The dual amps mostly adds a small bit of protection to the tweeter. If the amp powering the woofer starts to clip (audibly distort) on loud bass heavy passages when you exceed its spec'd 41 watt capability the tweeter will only be consuming a tiny fraction of that amount of power from its amp because it is more efficient and needs much less power. Since the tweeter amp's output is still clean at this point it won't damage the tweeter which is the more delicate driver of the two and definitely the one people should be more concerned with blowing from distorted amp outputs.

I'm guessing the amp you use to drive your KEFs is more that 41 watts, yes?
Yes. I understand. a
I was hoping that at least for lower volumes and in the vouce range, it will have some decent clear sound. Lsr305 problem us not the volume or low end extension, it us just the clarity and accuracy of sound at any volume.

At least that is what I get from my two speakers that I auditioned.

Based on the reviews and the measurements that are in your post, they should sound a lot better than they do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
SouthernCA is online now  
post #774 of 1078 Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,833
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5324 Post(s)
Liked: 3838
^Do you not know the wattage of your amp used with the KEF Q100s?
m. zillch is offline  
post #775 of 1078 Old 12-27-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
^Do you not know the wattage of your amp used with the KEF Q100s?
It was an old class D amp feeding the q100. I think it was rated at 100 watts per channel. But I was playing it at a lower volume (70 -75 dB at 1 meter, I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
SouthernCA is online now  
post #776 of 1078 Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
swargolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilorius View Post
Hello everybody and nice to find you.
Can swargolet tell what cables did he bought
or any other member what cables are considered as balanced and where can I find them ?
Thank you
Sorry I missed your post! I purchased some balanced TRS cables from my local Guitar Center. I believe it was THESE ones You'll need some sort of audio interface though which has a balanced output. Since the purchase of the Scarlett 2i2 and the balanced cables, I haven't had any noise issues.

I initially thought the noise was coming from my motherboard's 3.5mm output which is why I bought the interface first as that connects through USB, but I continued to have the noise. The balanced cables is what really fixed it. To be honest though, I do not know why this fixed the issue. Balanced cables are used to shield against interference, but do not help against noise that is coming from the output of your computer. If the noise is being introduced within the signal output at the computer itself, then this won't help. What this tells me though, is that SOMEHOW noise was being introduced externally into the cable. Again this makes no sense to me because moving the cables away from the computer, other cabling, or any other device didn't help.


Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Sony VPL-HW40es | 110" Seymour Ambient Visionnaire 1.3 | Intel NUC i5 HTPC
swargolet is offline  
post #777 of 1078 Old 01-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Has anyone gone from the KEF Egg Wireless to the LSR305's?

I know that based on MSRP, it might seem like a backwards move, but I'm not sold on the Egg wireless that I've been using for the past 4 months or so.

I downsized my desktop system from a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 8" studio monitors paired with a Paradigm PW-2100v2 subwoofer down to a pair of KEF EGG Wireless and a Totem Kin 8" Sub.

The reason for this was because my wife started working out of our home office 3 days a week, and I (she) wanted to switch to something a little more user friendly and less aesthetically dominating (and also free up a little desk space).

I went with white to make her a little happier with the aesthetic as well. I'm thinking of selling off the EGG and switching to the special edition white LSR305s. Also considering finding a used pair of KEF X300A in white. Also if I can find a used pair of Adam Artist 5's (in white of course) for a good price I'd be all over them, but I am strongly considering the 305's as they aren't so big to dominate the desk, they're available in white, and I've heard good things.

Anyone have experience with any of the options that I'm looking at?

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
Nick V is offline  
post #778 of 1078 Old 01-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
Sorry I missed your post! I purchased some balanced TRS cables from my local Guitar Center. I believe it was ones You'll need some sort of audio interface though which has a balanced output. Since the purchase of the Scarlett 2i2 and the balanced cables, I haven't had any noise issues.

I initially thought the noise was coming from my motherboard's 3.5mm output which is why I bought the interface first as that connects through USB, but I continued to have the noise. The balanced cables is what really fixed it. To be honest though, I do not know why this fixed the issue. Balanced cables are used to shield against interference, but do not help against noise that is coming from the output of your computer. If the noise is being introduced within the signal output at the computer itself, then this won't help. What this tells me though, is that SOMEHOW noise was being introduced externally into the cable. Again this makes no sense to me because moving the cables away from the computer, other cabling, or any other device didn't help.
Thank you for the usefull information!

The ground loop isolator solved my buzzing noise when in full load issue.
I have to say that the noise is not eliminated although.
Its like the 1% of the initial noise, but if i stick my ear to the speaker I can hear the buzz when my vga goes in load.

As I am in search for an external volume controller,
I am examing(between others) the Scarlett as an option.
I want to improve sound quality and possibly eliminate this 1% almost non-existent buz.
The 'problem' with these audio interfaces is that they will make useless my recently purchased Creative soundcard.
Maybe a simple volume controller solution like the Schiit Sys or the JBL Nanopatch+ is better match in my case.
Pilorius is offline  
post #779 of 1078 Old 01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Has anyone gone from the KEF Egg Wireless to the LSR305's?

I know that based on MSRP, it might seem like a backwards move, but I'm not sold on the Egg wireless that I've been using for the past 4 months or so.

I downsized my desktop system from a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 8" studio monitors paired with a Paradigm PW-2100v2 subwoofer down to a pair of KEF EGG Wireless and a Totem Kin 8" Sub.

The reason for this was because my wife started working out of our home office 3 days a week, and I (she) wanted to switch to something a little more user friendly and less aesthetically dominating (and also free up a little desk space).

I went with white to make her a little happier with the aesthetic as well. I'm thinking of selling off the EGG and switching to the special edition white LSR305s. Also considering finding a used pair of KEF X300A in white. Also if I can find a used pair of Adam Artist 5's (in white of course) for a good price I'd be all over them, but I am strongly considering the 305's as they aren't so big to dominate the desk, they're available in white, and I've heard good things.

Anyone have experience with any of the options that I'm looking at?
I had compared kef q100 with lsr305. You can read my assessment earlier in tjis and other threads.

If you must have an amp-less set up ( it still requires signal cables to both speakers and a power cord to each), may be, but in sound quality it is not even comparable to kef q100.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
SouthernCA is online now  
post #780 of 1078 Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I had compared kef q100 with lsr305. You can read my assessment earlier in tjis and other threads.

If you must have an amp-less set up ( it still requires signal cables to both speakers and a power cord to each), may be, but in sound quality it is not even comparable to kef q100.
I see. That kind of makes sense though if you think about it. The Q100 sold for around $500 when it came out, for just a passive speaker. The LSR305s sell for $150 each for speakers with an active crossover and 2 built-in amplifiers in each cabinet.

I still firmly believe in the value proposition that entry level active monitors offer (I use Fostex PM0.4n monitors in an office system at work, Focal XS Book in another office system at work, Tannoy Reveal 501a in the bedroom and I used to use M-Audio BX-8D2 monitors in my desktop system). Having said that I could see how the crazy closeout specials on the old KEF Q Series could throw some of these price : performance champions for a loop.

I am looking for an active system in my desktop setup, so I'm still interested if anyone has compared the LSR305s to the KEF Egg Wireless.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver

Last edited by Nick V; 01-07-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Nick V is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off