JBL LSR305/308 Appreciation Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #871 of 1078 Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Upper left button that looks like a camera labeled "Capture" will export the graph as a jpeg.

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1078 Old 01-31-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4028 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Upper left button that looks like a camera labeled "Capture" will export the graph as a jpeg.

Duh !!! So that's what that's for. Thanks
post #873 of 1078 Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5392 Post(s)
Liked: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
But one of these days I will try with an output from my avr aux out and see if that improve things.
Aux outs are fixed in level so you have no control of volume from the AVR. You need either "pre-outs" or on some units the "zone 2 out" has an option in one of the setup menus to make it either fixed or variable out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
See my update in that post regarding the plug size for your headphone jack.

The JBLs will take a large range of input levels because they have a variable sensitivity dial on the back. You will need to fiddle with it for a minute to discover the sweet spot range that works well for your device's general output but then you will leave it set to that value forever on and will only use the volume knob on the source device to do your master volume control. I'm 99% certain your Fiio will be able to drive them quite nicely with nothing more than a cord connection and it will sound quite good for its size and price. Let us know how it goes.
Well I finally got my jbl 305+310s so i went out bought the cables, hooked it up with my fiio e10k dac to the tv via usb. Unfortunately i cant get the speakers to work with this configuration. I connected the speakers to my phone and it works perfectly so i guess im in the market for a dac with an optical input . Could someone suggest a decent budget dac with optical input?
post #875 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
You need a preamp with a DAC and not just a DAC. For TV you probably want one with a remote. The Emotiva PT-100 comes to mind also the Parasound ZDAC if you don't need a remote it has am volume knob only otherwise you would their Zpre to go with it which makes it pricey. Your Filo might work if you connect to the headphone jack. You would need a cable like this. The Filo still doesn't have remote to control the volume, you would have to use its volume knob.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-201-...s%2Bcable&th=1

If your TV has a headphone or analog audio output you could use that to connect directly to your speakers just get the appropriate cable. Then you can use your TV's remote to control the volume.
post #876 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also if using your TV's optical you want to set it to stereo or PCM for its output in the TV's menu. Many of the preamps/DACs are stereo and don't decode Dolby Digital. I'd also set your sources connected to the TV to stereo/PCM.
post #877 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. The FiiO E10 dosen't work because it can only connect to the tv via usb. My wife is going to lose her **** if i tell her i have to purchase a dac and preamp lol she's already upset about the price of $900 AUD for the speakers, she even said thee $200 Samsung soundbar sounds just as good ... so ive decided to use them for my pc only.
post #878 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 AM

Actually these are an upgrade from my Logitech z5500's but it just struck me that i might be able to use the Logitech sub with the jbl 305's? is there a way to do this?
post #879 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If your Pc has a min plug foe the sub and the 305s are on the left and right mini plug you should be able to configure your computer as 2.1. If you were connected from your PC with digital coax or optical you won't be able to integrate the sub.
post #880 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp322 View Post
I connected the speakers to my phone and it works perfectly
I'm not getting that when connected to the headphone jack out of a cellphone it works perfectly yet with the headphone jack out of a well regarded, audiophile grade device [Fiio's front headphone out] it isn't working at least similarly.
I apologize if anything I suggested earlier isn't working well for you but in my defense I'm pretty sure you made no mention of having the sub in the setup, or at least I missed that part if you did, sorry. I know very little about the JBL sub or what it expects.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #881 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 10:15 PM

The tv does not recognize the Fiio e10 connected via usb, i tried messing with all the audio settings on TV but it just wouldn't work. It doesn't matter honestly the speakers and sub were too big for the lounge room anyway, I'm more a minimalist guy. I have them connected to my pc now with my fiio dac, ive also tried connecting them to my titanium hd sound card but i cant tell which sounds better. Should i be using -10db or +4? Should the sub be at 80Hz or XLF? I really appreciate the help guys, zillch i dont blame you mate thanks again for your input. Here's a pic of my setup for now, i know the speaker in the corner is bad positioning, maybe i can center my entire desk if that would make much a difference? I Still have my logitech z5500 set up so i can compare, but the jbl's definitely sound better in terms of sound stage and clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1234.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	2355096  
post #882 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp322 View Post
The tv does not recognize the Fiio e10 connected via usb,.
I would need to see the manuals but I strongly suspect the problem is both USB ports, Fiio and TV, are inputs. Obviously an input to an input conducts no sound.

-10dBV position usually, unless you hear distortion then go to +4dBV

80Hz is more accurate but XLF gives an extra kick in the bass which may be audibly appealing, Try both and see.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-01-2018 at 11:00 PM.
post #883 of 1078 Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 PM

This what the Fiio looks like on the back, yes?

If the TV has an optical out you can convert to coax digital in with this sort of adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40019-Opt...o+coax+adapter

The Tv has to have an optical out and be advised it might noth send all incoming sources out to that port. you need to check the manual. Some TVs especially older ones only send sound from OTA ,over the air TV broadcasts, out that port.

EDIT NEVER MIND I GOOFED
. That port on the Fiio I see is an output not input. Sorry

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-01-2018 at 11:01 PM.
post #884 of 1078 Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am looking for some stands for my JBLs.
The best solution for my space/setup would be some wall mounted stands.
I read in the internet that wall mounted stands are not ok for the LSR 305,
cause the speakers are rear ported and they need some distance from the wall.

What are you guys say ?
Does anybody use some wall mounted stands ?
post #885 of 1078 Old 02-04-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Let's see... Where to start. Well, I had these plans to go with some really big, truly full range speakers (20hz-20khz), but a bunch of things happened and I had to significantly reduce my budget.

So, I was pursuing the Canuck Audio Mart site and found a pair of like new LSR308's for $580 CAD. Got them and was blown away by the wide sweet spot and how easy they were to listen to. My favourite thing about them is dialogue intelligibility. Every word is easier to understand at lower volumes.... So I sold them to my buddy who mixes music out of his home studio to see if I could find anything else comparable with a little more dynamics and extension in the low end.

That's when I discovered the LSR310S. I found one barely used for $500 CAD and got it home to test it out. I couldn't believe how great that sub is for music. Pretty tight and controlled, especially for the price. Then, a lightbulb went off and I realized I could get two LSR310S's and use the on-board crossover to run a single LSR308's on top of each one. This way, I get two full range speakers with stereo bass, which I've wanted for a while, that images really well and has enough dynamic range for my music tastes. I got another used pair of the LSR308's on ebay for $520 CAD shipped and I bought the second sub from Amazon at regular price.

Everything arrives on Monday and I'll report back. I've got four 3" thick 2'x4' acoustic panels on the way that I'll be placing behind the speakers with a 3" air gap between them and the walls, as well as a pair of isolation stands so the vibrations of the subs will have less effect on the monitors. http://www.isoacoustics.com/products...lation-stands/

Oh, I also found a used Oppo BDP-105 region free player for $800 CAD. I own the BDP-103, but I really wanted the better DAC's and XLR outputs of the BDP-105 since most of my listening is music. I can definitely say that the BDP-105 is superior in every way from an analog audio perspective, and worth every penny I spent. Oh, and the headphone amp on it is superb as well. Best piece of audio equipment I've ever purchased. Now I'll only have this player running stereo outputs to the subs, which will pass the signal to the LSR308's with an 80hz filter... And that's my entire audio chain!

Can't wait to get the entire thing fired up this week. Will report back when it's all setup
Nick V and BattleAxeVR like this.
post #886 of 1078 Old 02-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilorius View Post
I read in the internet that wall mounted stands are not ok for the LSR 305,
cause the speakers are rear ported and they need some distance from the wall.

What are you guys say ?
It's a controversial subject but I'm of the mind that if you give it at least a few inches of clearance it will still be just fine. You just don't want to impede the flow of air.
post #887 of 1078 Old 02-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
...Everything arrives on Monday and I'll report back. I've got four 3" thick 2'x4' acoustic panels on the way that I'll be placing behind the speakers with a 3" air gap between them and the walls, as well as a pair of isolation stands so the vibrations of the subs will have less effect on the monitors. http://www.isoacoustics.com/products...lation-stands/ ...

Can't wait to get the entire thing fired up this week. Will report back when it's all setup
If you can, I'd try to put one panel behind each speaker at the first reflection point (use a mirror if you can) and also one panel on each side wall at the first reflection point (especially if the walls are relatively close to you). This should give you the best performance from the panels.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #888 of 1078 Old 02-05-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
If you can, I'd try to put one panel behind each speaker at the first reflection point (use a mirror if you can) and also one panel on each side wall at the first reflection point (especially if the walls are relatively close to you). This should give you the best performance from the panels.
Thanks for the advice. I don't need to treat the sidewalls much. My room is a living room that is open to the kitchen on the left side, and also a 4ft opening where the baffles of the right speaker are. There is a lot of diffusion and absorption throughout the room.

The front stage where the speakers are sits in a concrete alcove of sorts. Two 24"-26" concrete slabs protrude from the front wall, which helps with boundary gain, but also adds to the SBIR effect. That's why I want to treat the corners this way. There's little to no echo or reverb anywhere near my listening area.

I hope that makes sense.
post #889 of 1078 Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
That AVR output is probably a lot more than what my iPhone or Samsung or Bluetooth receiver can provide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Does anyone here know of a simple LOW COST voltage amplifier that I can buy to amplify the voltage coming out of my smartphone or bluetooth receiver? These are very low power devices that are based on op amps.

I can then use it between my phone OR BLUETOOTH output and lsr305 input.

Thanks in advance.

post #890 of 1078 Old 02-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Does anyone here know of a simple LOW COST voltage amplifier that I can buy to amplify the voltage coming out of my smartphone or bluetooth receiver? These are very low power devices that are based on op amps.

Thanks in advance.

The most popular one is the ART CLEANBoxPro. Not sure if there are any lower cost options available.
post #891 of 1078 Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I'm not fully convinced that if one is not happy with the maximum output of the 305s it is due to the inadequate output level of their phone's headphone jack.

Other considerations:

- Do you have the gain knobs on the speaker's back already cranked to max as you should if output level seems inadequate?

- Do you have the LF trim on the back set to increased bass? That's bad (in this situation) because it sucks away effective available power.

- Similarly, you aren't boosting your cellphone's bass level output through some sort of EQ in the phone are you? If you ask it to pump out just +3dB {not a lot}more bass, for instance, you've cut your already modest 41 watts of power for the woofer down to just 20.5 watts effectively. Ask for +6dB bass boost and it's down to just 10 watts.

- These speakers only have a 5 inch woofer. That's not good for high output nor elevated bass considering its modest amp (41w). The LSR308s would be a better bet with its larger amp but even more importantly their much larger cone area. [pi*2.5^2*2= 39.2 square inches per pair pushing the air for the LSR305 vs. (pi*4^2*2= 100.5 square inches for a pair of LSR308s

- Adding a good subwoofer, like your much larger boom box does, will improve both sound quality and sound quantity especially if it or your intermediate electronics [like say an AVR, prepro, or active electronic crossover] has "bass management" to filter and redirect the bass being sent to the little speaker instead of merely tacking on some more deep bass to them. The lessens the burden to the little speaker both in terms of its modest amp capabilities and modest woofer capabilities.

- These are just near-field, close proximity, cheap, desktop or computer speakers, not really "room filling" speakers. LSR308s would be a better better bet for such a task and even they have their limits. [Like not enough power.]

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-07-2018 at 01:05 PM.
post #892 of 1078 Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I listen to the LSR305 through my phone's 3.5mm output and it plays really well. Clear treble with nice bass. In fact, I've used a cheap Trond Bluetooth receiver (using AptX) on them and they sound great. I only have the gain at 6/10 though. Anything more than that and I can't hear myself think. These are nearfields as the poster above said. It's the best under $200 speakers I have ever heard.
post #893 of 1078 Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not fully convinced that if one is not happy with the maximum output of the 305s it is due to the inadequate output level of their phone's headphone jack.

Other considerations:

- Do you have the gain knobs on the speaker's back already cranked to max as you should if output level seems inadequate?

- Do you have the LF trim on the back set to increased bass? That's bad (in this situation) because it sucks away effective available power.

- Similarly, you aren't boosting your cellphone's bass level output through some sort of EQ in the phone are you? If you ask it to pump out just +3dB {not a lot}more bass, for instance, you've cut your already modest 41 watts of power for the woofer down to just 20.5 watts effectively. Ask for +6dB bass boost and it's down to just 10 watts.

- These speakers only have a 5 inch woofer. That's not good for high output nor elevated bass considering its modest amp (41w). The LSR308s would be a better bet with its larger amp but even more importantly their much larger cone area. [pi*2.5^2*2= 39.2 square inches per pair pushing the air for the LSR305 vs. (pi*4^2*2= 100.5 square inches for a pair of LSR308s

- Adding a good subwoofer, like your much larger boom box does, will improve both sound quality and sound quantity especially if it or your intermediate electronics [like say an AVR, prepro, or active electronic crossover] has "bass management" to filter and redirect the bass being sent to the little speaker instead of merely tacking on some more deep bass to them. The lessens the burden to the little speaker both in terms of its modest amp capabilities and modest woofer capabilities.

- These are just near-field, close proximity, cheap, desktop or computer speakers, not really "room filling" speakers. LSR308s would be a better better bet for such a task and even they have their limits. [Like not enough power.]
Checked all. And they were ok.

I am trying to figure out what iPhone output voltage is at Max volume. Here are the spec for lsr305 input. -10dbV should be 320 mv RMS.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 02-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.
post #894 of 1078 Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 PM

post #895 of 1078 Old 02-08-2018, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. And WOW. With almost a 1000 mv RMS coming out of iPhone, it should definitely be able to drive lsr 305.

I give up on why my speakers don't sound loud. 41 watts is a lot of power. Unless JBL is measuring peak power rather than RMS power like all other amps are measured.

Even with some or a lot of distortion , the speaker should be able to sound more than 100 dB at 3 ft.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 02-11-2018 at 09:48 PM.
post #896 of 1078 Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Has anyone purchased the Mk 2s?
BattleAxeVR likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #897 of 1078 Old 03-13-2018, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I'm not sure how I feel about the much greater volume of glossy plastic. Looks like a nightmare to keep in good condition

post #898 of 1078 Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 468
anyone find a good deal on the old 305's ? I need one more and guitar center just sold out of their $99 sale ones.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #899 of 1078 Old 04-01-2018, 07:14 PM

Does anyone know the latency figure {milli/micro seconds?}of these speakers' output? [Not that I think that's usually important, nor that I'm claiming I can sense it.]
I assume the electronics, including DSP of the incoming analog signal and then a conversion back to analog for self-amplification, introduces some measurable delay but I don't know how much.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-01-2018 at 09:51 PM.
post #900 of 1078 Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Has anyone purchased the Mk 2s?
I'm also curious about the mk 2s, whether one of the things they improved is less hiss.

I also think the glossy reflections are unfortunate, but maybe it's possible to retrofit the older models with the newer drivers / tweeters. Although that would likely require new crossover too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page