JBL LSR305/308 Appreciation Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #1081 of 1086 Old 12-01-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The internal amps are getting hot and indeed are setting off odors from warmed paint or glue. If it bothers you I'd leave it playing in a well ventilated room for a day under these conditions. That's at least what I suspect.

Another possibility, sort of a worst case scenario in my opinion, is there is some component like a resistor, capacitor, or transistor which gives off an odor when stressed and doing so for extended periods of time will make it fail.
Thanks.

However, I should point out that the subwoofer can be sitting idle for hours and as soon as I play something loud with deep bass, it starts to give off that odor within seconds of being "stressed." I can't be heating up that quickly or can it? Is it safe to assume that a capacitor or something is going bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1086 Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Could be the driver coil heating up as well. Either way I think it shows with your use case that you need something more robust for a sub.

Life is Lambertian
post #1083 of 1086 Old 12-01-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Could be the driver coil heating up as well. Either way I think it shows with your use case that you need something more robust for a sub.
Can the driver/voice coil heat up within seconds of being stressed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 1086 Old 12-01-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 554
The residue of fumes from the last time you stressed it would be the first thing you smell.

Life is Lambertian
post #1085 of 1086 Old 12-03-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
The residue of fumes from the last time you stressed it would be the first thing you smell.
Upon closer inspection, I've noticed it might just be the smell inside the subwoofer enclosure. If I play something at low SPL and place my nose next to the port on the subwoofer, I can faintly smell the same smell. It seems the reason I can smell it far easier at high SPL is because more air is being blown out through the port. I read a description of what a burning voice coil smells like (burning metal or the like) and it definitely does not smell like that. However, I can't recall if this smell was there when the subwoofer was new.
post #1086 of 1086 Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5545 Post(s)
Liked: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Upon closer inspection, I've noticed it might just be the smell inside the subwoofer enclosure. If I play something at low SPL and place my nose next to the port on the subwoofer, I can faintly smell the same smell. It seems the reason I can smell it far easier at high SPL is because more air is being blown out through the port. I read a description of what a burning voice coil smells like (burning metal or the like) and it definitely does not smell like that. However, I can't recall if this smell was there when the subwoofer was new.
Good point. If you leave it off for a day so it is cold and still notice the smell when your nose is close to the port then we have eliminated the "something is heating up" part of the equation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page