Need LCR speakers - cc needs good off-axis frequency response - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking for a new pair of floor standers and center.

They will used 90% for TV/movies. Room is 19 by 12 feet with tall cathedral ceilings. Most important features are good off-axis response. I care most about crisp sharp dialogue that sounds good at 30-40 degrees from center.

I actually prefer a forward emphasized sound. I always turn up the treble and turn down the base - that's the way I am. Due to WAF, speakers should look nice and not be too overwhelming.

Want to get rid of my speaker stands and bookshelves - too many toppling over issues.
Currently have Def. tech SM350s with PC2000 center. Used to have the CLR2002 until I downsized - off-axis wasn’t great either. Receiver is Denon 1712.

Already have a sub and will worry about upgrading the rears later. Budget is around 2k for LCR.
Need to demo before I buy so ID companies need a good return policy.

Wouldn't it make sense for me to just order the center channel and demo that? If it sounds good order the rest? Do I insist on a WTMW design?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What is your budget?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I am looking at the Revel Performa3 speakers. Check out the reviews regarding the off axis response. I am moving from Def Tech large towers to something on a stand of higher quality, like the Performa3 M106, (and a good sub). You might look at the F206, (I think that is the right model # for the tower)... if you have $$$.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Budget is around 2k for LCR.

Revel is on my short list and i will be checking them out.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhere892 View Post

I am looking for a new pair of floor standers and center.

They will used 90% for TV/movies. Room is 19 by 12 feet with tall cathedral ceilings. Most important features are good off-axis response. I care most about crisp sharp dialogue that sounds good at 30-40 degrees from center.

I actually prefer a forward emphasized sound. I always turn up the treble and turn down the base - that's the way I am. Due to WAF, speakers should look nice and not be too overwhelming.

Want to get rid of my speaker stands and bookshelves - too many toppling over issues.
Currently have Def. tech SM350s with PC2000 center. Used to have the CLR2002 until I downsized - off-axis wasn’t great either. Receiver is Denon 1712.

Already have a sub and will worry about upgrading the rears later. Budget is around 2k for LCR.
Need to demo before I buy so ID companies need a good return policy.

Wouldn't it make sense for me to just order the center channel and demo that? If it sounds good order the rest? Do I insist on a WTMW design?

Klipsch Ultra 2 KL-650-THX, last time I heard the AVS store was offering 50% off of list price. Just slightly over your budget but something worth considering IMO.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

Do I insist on a WTMW design?

I think this is probably the best step you can take for your goals and the next best thing after running 3 identical speakers up front.

Horizontal MTMs are doomed to off axis lobing from the start unless the tweeter crosses over very low.

KEF Uni-Q center channels are, in my opinion, the least compromised horizontal design of them all. Checkout the Q900 and center in your budget.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2733 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
If you want good off axis response from the center channel, I think you should look beyond horizontal MTM or even WTMW designs.

My center is a WMTW (NHT Classic 3C, said to be really good off axis) but at the 30-40 degrees you are looking for, I don't know that you would be happy.

Does your room layout preclude having three identical speakers across the front?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, three identical speakers across the front isn't feasible. Should I be demoing the NHT Classic 3C as a possible compromise? What floorstandings would be paired with it?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-21-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2733 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
Quote:

Yes, three identical speakers across the front isn't feasible. Should I be demoing the NHT Classic 3C as a possible compromise? What floorstandings would be paired with it?

The Classic 3C would pair with the Classic 4, as they have the same Mid/Tweeter assembly.

EDIT: I suppose I should add that there is no telling what you may like or not like, and what may or may not work in your room. You may need to try a few set-ups in your own room to arrive at something that is pleasing to you. With the demise of many B&M stores, it does make it a bit of a PITA to have things shipped in, and potentially shipped back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page