Pioneer SP-BS22-LR or Micca MB42X - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Teacs and Cambridge are more sensitive than the Miccas and Pioneers, with the Teacs having a larger woofer also. I'm on my phone so I can't give you exact numbers. I have a fairly large living room and the Teacs and s30 will get louder than I need
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 3251
The Cambridge woofer is more like a 5" woofer - to the outside edge of the surround, and inside the
woofer frame - it is 5 inches. The Cambridge can get loud.

----------------
Who AM I
post #33 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Liked: 10

To be fair I feel the Miccas can louder than I want, and they 'fill the room' decently when I turn them up to a moderate level. But at lower sound levels they sound a little more tinny and, well, small, and like the sound is coming from two small points in the front of my room. It made me wonder if the Cambridge would sound bigger since it would be moving a tad more air. It may just be the nature of speakers or my mostly empty room. Once I get Audyssey working it may be better, or maybe a sub would help, although I mostly listen to classical. Or maybe a second set of the Miccas at the back of my room. This is my first actual sound system so I'm new to this. Anyway, hijacking over, if I need further help I can always start a new thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Good luck!

It's hard for me to comment on the Miccas because I've never heard them, although I've always been curious about them. If I do end up getting some it would be for a smaller application though. Hopefully you find something that works for you
post #35 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
In this really budget category I have to give credit to the Definitive Technology SM45 (at refurbished pricing). They made Stereophile's recommended list. No problem filling a room with them. I have the pair sitting in my bedroom a top of the PSB T45s and I finally got around to running Audyssey. I put them in the super budget category because bajawaverunner had several refurbished sets for $219 shipped. No warranty but I will be darned if I could find a mark on them. They could very well displace the Marimbas at my desk, speakers also on the Sterophile recommended list.

Good drivers in the Def Techs one of the reviews claimed the drivers were the same as in their high end towers.. The cabinets are not solid rocks so their is a bit of resonance when you give them the knuckle test but they sound very nice for the price. One would have to keep an eye on eBay for them to get that price. I think in most cases if you can afford a hundred dollars set of speakers you can afford a two hundred set with a bit of planning and that is where the modded Pioneers, the Cambridge speakers and these refurbished Definitives fit it the larger scheme/.

Sony 85X900f, - Samsung 78" JS8600 Ascend Sierra 2s, Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s
post #36 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Gt...would you consider the Def Tech 45s an upgrade over the s30?
post #37 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripledub View Post

would you consider the Def Tech 45s an upgrade over the s30?

I have listened to the new Definitive SM55 speakers - based on that I consider the SM45 to be a
better sounding speaker over the S30

I do have the JBL Studio 530 coming tomorrow - a real good price - and I am expecting good things
from them. They are moving fast at this price.
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-530-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B00622STI0

----------------
Who AM I
post #38 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Cool zieg...looking forward to your thoughts on them
post #39 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I just put the Miccas back in the box before I read your post. A few weeks ago I bought a pair of like new Marimbas in original boxes on eBay for $160. I had the Miccas in a nearfield desktop listening setup and sorry the Micca did not impress there. I know the original post was to compare the MB42X and the 2nd Gen Andrew Jones Pioneers. But I assume if the Miccas as small as they are did not sound full enough nearfield why put them out in a good size room. I am not sure in what situation the BX42s would be in its element. The Marimbas are very pleasing in the same spot.

As you know, small speakers like the Micca benefit a lot in their bass response from boundary reinforcement. I can confirm that putting them on a table that sits in the middle of the room will result in a thin sounding speaker. If the desk backs up against a wall, the bass improves dramatically. If one of the pair is within 2 feet of a corner, then it's even more robust. We are not talking epic bass output, but a respectable assessment of "surprisingly stout". The SP-BS22-LR does have more bass output, but not deeper. As for room size, I feel the MB42X would do well in many normal rooms for casual listening at say 75-80dB average level. People who are looking for reference level HT application or high volume critical listening will not have a limiting budget of $80 for speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I may try the Micca in a different configuration at some point. Perhaps I had spent too much time recently listening to larger and more capable speakers and I have given them a bad rap. I did give the B42X a very cursory listen in the larger room and they seemed entirely swallowed up. Which is not the case with the Pioneers, PSB T15s, some Usher S520s or the NHTs.

Well, I don't doubt that there are better speakers than the MB42X for more money. In fact, I believe that at less than say $2000, there are worthwhile gains to be achieved with each level of price increase. Some would put the dollar cap higher to say $5k or $10k. We all have a level of performance below which we simply refuse to entertain. Perhaps the MB42X is below that threshold for you, which would explain why your description of it seem to imply that it utterly fails at being acceptable speakers - to the point that you boxed them up and put them away.

In any case, thanks for sharing your thoughts. The hobby benefits when there is a variety of view points.
post #40 of 44 Old 01-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Since I posted, I moved the speakers closer to the wall, which did up the bass/presence to more decent levels. Then I ran Audyssey. wow! They are totally different speakers. They sound so much better at low volumes too, less tinny. I can settle for these. I'm happy not spending 2x or 3x the money at this point in my life. I'm sure the Cambridges, etc. are probably better but I'm quite happy with my $70 Miccas now, and I'm happy enough not to know what I'm missing. So while I can't compare against the Panasonic for the OP I can say I am happy now with the Miccas and with how well they fill a decent sized room, and don't find myself wishing I had gotten the Panasonic or Cambridge like I had before I had it set up well.

post #41 of 44 Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Enjoy

----------------
Who AM I
post #42 of 44 Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I can also vouch for the miccas. I have not heard the phase 2 A. Jones speakers but had the 1 series and i like the Miccas better. just preference but the A. Jones 1 series are just too dark sounding... very recessed treble, and i hated the center, it was just terrible in my setup.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I received my S30s last week and all I can say is wow. Even though I have never listened to two I posted about, I don't see how the sound or quality could compare at the prices offered, but I could be wrong in assuming that. I'd still really like to audition the two though, as well as the Teacs if i ever get the chance.

The S30s sound much bigger than they actually are. The mids and highs are where these really shine. Bass isn't an issue since I have the Polk sub. I'm still breaking them in and they sound better as time goes on. I turned them up a bit to test the loud factor and they have that covered, which I love. Guess I'm spoiled by listening to my L112's.
post #44 of 44 Old 01-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Good deal...glad you like them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version