speaker/reciever Pairing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
wingedhambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all,

     I recently purchased a new speaker set from the klipsch reference series and am looking for some insight on a receiver that would be adequate and provide the best sound at volume for movies. I'm new in the audio world and research on all the specs has been somewhat humbling, I.E calculations and contradicting explanations. Speakers include: RC-62, RF-82, and RS-42 II. All have nominal impedance at 8 ohms and  power handling at 150W rms / 600W peak, except the RS-42 II, which are 75W RMS / 300 W peak. I'm  looking for recievers that are in the $500-600 range that have provide good power without all the bells and whistles. Thank you for any insight that you can provide.

Regards.

wingedhambone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
wingedhambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Also, I am currently using a Denon AVR-1613 that is 75 WPC at 8 ohms. Would the use of this receiver and the above speakers generate the potential quality and volume of the speakers. Thanks.

wingedhambone is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedhambone View Post

Also, I am currently using a Denon AVR-1613 that is 75 WPC at 8 ohms. Would the use of this receiver and the above speakers generate the potential quality and volume of the speakers. Thanks.

your denon will do fine.

if you do want to upgrade, look at features you want, better room correction, networking, airplay, multi zones etc.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
67jason is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,058
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Trying to compare power ratings is counterproductive, because the minimal FTC ratings that most receivers give for specs are all but meaningless (and ONLY for two channels).

NAD and Cambridge Audio are the only ones that make a real attempt to give HONEST, meaningful ratings; especially for more than two speakers.

For example, the NAD T748 ratings would seem to be lower than a lot of cheaper receivers from Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.; but the NAD has a better power supply and and MORE REAL POWER than anything else for $600 IMO.

For actually driving 5 speakers as well as possible, with the lowest distortion, there is no question in my mind mind that the NAD T748 is the best-SOUNDING one available for $600.

Your receiver probably can probably provide no more than 40 watts per channel when driving 5 speakers. That might be enough with the Klipsch speakers, since they are more sensitive than most speakers. With almost any other speakers, it would be marginal. The 75 watt rating is for 2 channels only, and only when driving an 8 ohm RESISTOR; which is a whole world different from a loudspeaker system...lol.

The maximum power ratings of the speakers are totally irrelevant, since you will never approach those power limits.

And, by the way, almost NO speaker on the market is really "8 ohms" They all have lower impedances at some frequebcies, which is what counts.
commsysman is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
auceny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Berwyn, IL
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The 1613 should be fine but you could consider bumping up to the 2113/x2000 area for the better room correction capabilities.

Sony XBR-65X900E, Xbox One X, Denon 3400
5.2.2 Dual v3601, PSA 210T L/R, PSA210C, DIYSG Volt10 Surround, BA SoundWare Atmos
auceny is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by auceny View Post

The 1613 should be fine but you could consider bumping up to the 2113/x2000 area for the better room correction capabilities.

+1 on the Denon being fine but better room correction and other features can make an upgrade viable.
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Trying to compare power ratings is counterproductive, because the minimal FTC ratings that most receivers give for specs are all but meaningless (and ONLY for two channels).

NAD and Cambridge Audio are the only ones that make a real attempt to give HONEST, meaningful ratings; especially for more than two speakers.

For example, the NAD T748 ratings would seem to be lower than a lot of cheaper receivers from Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.; but the NAD has a better power supply and and MORE REAL POWER than anything else for $600 IMO.

For actually driving 5 speakers as well as possible, with the lowest distortion, there is no question in my mind mind that the NAD T748 is the best one available for $600.

Your receiver probably can provide no more than 40 watts per channel when driving 5 speakers. That might be enough with the Klipsch speakers, since they are more sensitive than most speakers.With almost any other speakers, it would be marginal.

The maximum power ratings of the speakers are totally irrelevant, since you will never approach those power limits.

And, by the way, almost NO speaker on the market is really "8 ohms" They all have lower impedances at some frequebcies, which is what counts.

bolded = baloney (imho tongue.gif)

in respect to ohm ratings - duh all speakers have different impedence ratings at different frequencies. 8 ohm speakers are supposed to 8ohm nominal just like 4 ohm or 6 ohm etc are nominal ratings.

except under the most sever conditions an average apprx 100 watt per channel @8ohm 2 channel driven rated avr will power most speakers set ups to satisfying levels most of the time. using powered subs even helps them perform even better.

op dont be scared off just because some people have a fear of catching cooties from anything but nad or cambridge gear. wink.gif

nothing inherently wrong with nad or cambridge, but you can usually get the same performance with more features at a lower price from other more common brands.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
67jason is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Member
 
wronganswer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Klipsch speakers are really efficient. This means that you only need 1 watt to get 95db, Any low powered receiver will drive those speaker to insane volume.
wronganswer is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
wingedhambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you all for the responses!. So..., what I'm gathering is that the Denon-1613 is more than capable (and safe) to power the klipschs due to their efficiency. Another question; Would I see an improvement in sound if, say, I upgraded to a pioneer vsx-43? And if so, would it be worth the price tag if I was only looking for an improvement in sound quality? Unfortunately, there is nowhere locally that has this configuration that I can test out.   I typically listen to movies pretty loud, and I'm also utilizing a BIC f-12 450wat powered subwoofer.

wingedhambone is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedhambone View Post

Thank you all for the responses!. So..., what I'm gathering is that the Denon-1613 is more than capable (and safe) to power the klipschs due to their efficiency. Another question; Would I see an improvement in sound if, say, I upgraded to a pioneer vsx-43? And if so, would it be worth the price tag if I was only looking for an improvement in sound quality? Unfortunately, there is nowhere locally that has this configuration that I can test out.   I typically listen to movies pretty loud, and I'm also utilizing a BIC f-12 450wat powered subwoofer.

improvement is subjective, you will likely notice a difference between using audyssey and pioneers mcacc calibration softwares. if you prefer mcacc then its an improvement to you.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
67jason is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Member
 
wronganswer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedhambone View Post

Thank you all for the responses!. So..., what I'm gathering is that the Denon-1613 is more than capable (and safe) to power the klipschs due to their efficiency. Another question; Would I see an improvement in sound if, say, I upgraded to a pioneer vsx-43? And if so, would it be worth the price tag if I was only looking for an improvement in sound quality? Unfortunately, there is nowhere locally that has this configuration that I can test out.   I typically listen to movies pretty loud, and I'm also utilizing a BIC f-12 450wat powered subwoofer.

You can get better or worst sound, but is not because the amps on those receivers. It depends on the room correction software and equalizers.
wronganswer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Klipsch Rf 42 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rc62 Black 2 Way Center Channel Speaker , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off