Pioneer SP-BS22-LR vs Def Tech ProCinema 600 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Looking for good speakers for home theater i was about set on the pioneer till i seen the def techs anyone have heard them? Any advice helps! Thnx.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 104
i dont know the size of your room, if it is small then the def tech may be fine but IMO you could do much better at the price i see them at. also the specs on the sub are laughable, no way it goes down to 22hz with any meaningful output.

i would do the pioneers for their price or if you have a bigger budget, which seems you might i would look at the following...

HTD Level Two or Level three www.htd.com they are good, i own them. it is risk free to try them out, they pay return shipping and give you a full refund if you are not happy with them

I have not heard these but they receive good reviews and are a steal.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Black/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Black/1.html

and pair them with a decent sub within your budget.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Between the two you selected I would go with the Pioneers SP-BS22's as they are real speakers and not just satellites and can handle a proper 80hz crossover, unlike the Def techs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I agree with both the previous posters-get real speakers and a real sub.

The Pioneer, Cambrigde and HTD all have strong points.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Def Tech studio monitor 65's are the real deal. Depends on your budget. Go with 3 Def Tech SM 65's across the front with a SVS PB 1000 or Rythmic LV12R sub (depending again on budget) and your room will rock.

If you want smaller speakers look into the Def Tech PM 1000's. If you want larger speakers but cheaper than the SM 65's look into the SM 350 or SM 450's on Newegg for cheap. All three speakers are very well reviewed.

Def Tech makes towers too. Depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Reviewers find the SM45 to be a better sounding more balanced speaker than either the SM65 or SM55. Stereophile recommends the SM45 and SM55 but not the SM65. YMMV I have a pair of the SM45s around here I bought at a very decent price. My question is are these speakers worth the typical selling price.

They are real speakers though you can do a lot better on something else if you are willing to fork up the $400 the SM45s sell for..

Build quality on the 45s is nice. I have not tried them near-field.

Used or B-Stock and clearance merchandise gets you so much more for your money. I had intended to use the Definitives at my desk but a pair of JBL HLS-610 monitors popped up on CL right by the house for $75...Kind of big for the desk but they sound awesome and for $75 hmmn.

I will try the SM45s at my desk but I doubt they can hang with these older well regarded JBLs which were considered value champions in their day.. I think the 45s will end up as rear surrounds at my brother's house where the fronts are matched Mythos. otherwise it will be eBay. I have too many speakers and unless they surprise me near-field they will find new homes. I don't dislike the SM45s but I question if they are worth the retail or street price. Since the 45 is probably a better speaker than the 55 and 65 they are even more of a value question.

I would add that the Definitives are very nicely sculpted pieces and fairly smooth sounding but they are not extremely accurate. They appeared to get plenty loud in my bedroom but for they just don't compare to USHER S520s at about the same price or get remotely close to the JBL Studio 530s which were recently available for less than the SM45s which are usually sold at SRP. The JBLs Studio 530 gives the NHT Classic Three trouble value wise and overall. Interesting when you consider the Three is on promotional pricing, a speaker at one time called the best speaker under a thousand dollars. Kind of weird because I have never liked horn speakers but the Studio 530 is worth its full retail price and more ( I like it very much. The used HLS-610 are very much is the same vein are also very nice sounding no harshness and not fatiguing.

Sony 85X900f, - Samsung 78" JS8600 Ascend Sierra 2s, Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Used or B-Stock and clearance merchandise gets you so much more for your money. I had intended to use the Definitives at my desk but a pair of JBL HLS-610 monitors popped up on CL right by the house for $75...Kind of big for the desk but they sound awesome and for $75 hmmn.

The JBLs Studio 530 gives the NHT Classic Three trouble value wise and overall. Interesting when you consider the Three is on promotional pricing, a speaker at one time called the best speaker under a thousand dollars. Kind of weird because I have never liked horn speakers but the Studio 530 is worth its full retail price and more ( I like it very much. The used HLS-610 are very much is the same vein are also very nice sounding no harshness and not fatiguing.

I have owned the HLS 610 and 810 speakers - the HLS series are nice for the price - and
will give a lot of budget speakers today a fit.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Definitive Technology Procinema 600 5 1 Speaker System

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page